Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? (2463 Views)

What Y'all Think About The Toyota Avalon 2006-2008 / The Meaning Of The Coloured Lines On The Toyota Backup Camera / See How The Toyota Supra Has Evolved Since 1978 (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by 9icetoo(m): 7:18am On Mar 09, 2023
sooperrescue:

I did the research and it is either 25k kms or the equivalent in miles. Cars made in the USA go through stringent regulations that it will be very difficult to make cars that are not fit for their market. Every 15k miles, for some motorists, they might never get to the mileage in 2 years and for the transporters, it can be before 6 months. Do a survey on the Sienna that has been changed from 13 to 10 pins, majority are commercial

See why you have problems?
Toyota never specified 15k miles as intervals for trans fluid replacement.

The interval is 72 months or 96k kilometers.

Oga, go and do proper research before coming to make baseless claims.

If you want to start selling Toyota trans oil, tell us.

If you want to start servicing Toyota siennas, tel us.

Nurey took his time to explain to you in very clear details why some transmissions are failing in Nigeria but since it didn't fit you narrative, you binned it.

There is nowhere Toyota specified 15k miles for trans oil interval.

Rest.

The same Toyotas cover 300k miles with those transmissions but as soon as they get here even at 100k miles, they start failing.

My Acura is at 209,xyz miles and is still on the same trans with fluid changes as per maintenance minder requires.
It is changed every 40k miles.

If Acura (known for its flaky trans) is recommending trans oil change every 40k miles, why would Toyota (with it's robust trans) request trans fluid change at 15k miles?

Quit plugging these figures from thin air and quit deceiving people!.

Here is the link if you want to do further research. Download the PDFs and educate yourself.
https://www.siennachat.com/threads/maintenance-schedules.67/
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by sooperrescue(m): 8:53am On Mar 09, 2023
ariesbull:
I know but Toyota fears have high tendency to spoil

Benz fear has protective mechanism called Emergency mode which Toyota doesn't ...Benz fear rarely spoil

Toyota is over hyped

We know that it is overhyped and it is giving us headache but are there no solutions ? Buying a a used gear box for a 2018 Highlander for 2.5m is scary. The said car is very clean and nothing was done on the body and yet the gear failed. What should be the advice for the owners? Any real experts for Toyota cars should help resolve this issue. Money is scarce and car repairs are low and no one is smiling.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by nurey(m): 11:46am On Mar 09, 2023
sooperrescue:

We know that it is overhyped and it is giving us headache but are there no solutions ? Buying a a used gear box for a 2018 Highlander for 2.5m is scary. The said car is very clean and nothing was done on the body and yet the gear failed. What should be the advice for the owners? Any real experts for Toyota cars should help resolve this issue. Money is scarce and car repairs are low and no one is smiling.

Yes toyota is overpriced in Nigeria compared to other competitors.

As a seasoned technician that you are. You should rather investigate the reason for the failure a working gear box with no known defect won't pack up.

The said a replacement gear cost 2.5m for a car that cost close to 15m + I think that price is fair considering the vehicle is still less than 5years and a replacement gear will certainly have low miles.

Before you complain though concerning replacement cost, let's know what the competition replacement cost would be for cars in same category.

Nigerians want to buy expensive cars but don't want to pay for the expensive cost of maintenance and fix

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by Smartguyboy(m): 11:54am On Mar 09, 2023
ariesbull:
I know but Toyota fears have high tendency to spoil

Benz fear has protective mechanism called Emergency mode which Toyota doesn't ...Benz fear rarely spoil

Toyota is over hyped

Emergency mood in benz you said it’s same like CHECK
in Avalon 2014 I know once you On your engine it will check if there’s any fault if there’s any it will indicate.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by 9icetoo(m): 12:14pm On Mar 09, 2023
nurey:

Yes toyota is overpriced in Nigeria compared to other competitors.

As a seasoned technician that you are. You should rather investigate the reason for the failure a working gear box with no known defect won't pack up.

The said a replacement gear cost 2.5m for a car that cost close to 15m + I think that price is fair considering the vehicle is still less than 5years and a replacement gear will certainly have low miles.

Before you complain though concerning replacement cost, let's know what the competition replacement cost would be for cars in same category.

Nigerians want to buy expensive cars but don't want to pay for the expensive cost of maintenance and fix
I am waiting for him
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by 9icetoo(m): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2023
sooperrescue:

They are known for being reliable and they actually are. No one hypes them. They do not claim to be what they are not.
https://www.waltersmercedesbenzofriverside.com/mercedes-benz-transmission-repair-and-service-in-riverside/

According to the site above, benz transmissions are good for 150k to 200k miles. After that, you are on your own. A vast majority of Toyotas and hondas on our roads today are way past these mileage and going strong. How many people can afford low mileage accident free toyotas?

Several have gone on to 500k miles on the same transmission.

Go and find out why transmissions are failing (perform proper investigations and diagnosis starting with the highlander trans you want to replace). I suggest you start with the writeup from Nurey. I am also here to help if you need me cos i can see research is not your thing.
Maybe, just maybe, you will open up a new market front for yourself.

I really don't get the whole toyota this toyota that. if toyota transmissions were that bad, they wouldn't score so high on the reliability index.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by LaSenior: 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2023
sooperrescue:

Bros, this is experience talking. But your Sienna is not equipped with a manual transmission. All the transport companies that were using Sienna folded up. There is something that we always forget, that we are supposed to change the ATF every 15k miles. So if I ply Lagos Abuja, I should be changing the ATF every 3 months. No one is doing that and it is another reason for the gear failures. I guess it's one of the reasons why Toyota went to Ghana because they won't be able to handle the litigations if they were to be here. As we are analysing the faults and reasons of the faults, let us find a solution to this problem. I don't even want to talk about the ABS that cost over 1m on a GX 470 talkless of on the 2017 model of the highlander. Why will I buy an 18 year old 4 cylinder car for 4m? What am expecting to gain from it? If you are on the road, almost 80% are Toyota brand, it means that our motorists are suffering and smiling.
all this transporters using seinna doesn't use ATF anymore on their gearbox they used visco 2000 as transmission fluid I asked them they said because they cover more miles a week that the normal ATF oil can't stand the heat, I remember when I used oando ATF for my gear box just little distance it heated up the oil starts burning and smell then it gets dark so I had to change it to seahorse and ever since then there has been difference

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by sooperrescue(m): 2:27pm On Mar 09, 2023
LaSenior:
all this transporters using seinna doesn't use ATF anymore on their gearbox they used visco 2000 as transmission fluid I asked them they said because they cover more miles a week that the normal ATF oil can't stand the heat, I remember when I used oando ATF for my gear box just little distance it heated up the oil starts burning and smell then it gets dark so I had to change it to seahorse and ever since then there has been difference

This is the essence of the thread. Knowing what the people are going through. You used seahorse ATF and the problem stopped. So we are back to Visco 2000 that destroyed Honda baby boy gears of yore. Thanks for the info
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by sooperrescue(m): 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2023
9icetoo:

They are known for being reliable and they actually are. No one hypes them. They do not claim to be what they are not.
https://www.waltersmercedesbenzofriverside.com/mercedes-benz-transmission-repair-and-service-in-riverside/

According to the site above, benz transmissions are good for 150k to 200k miles. After that, you are on your own. A vast majority of Toyotas and hondas on our roads today are way past these mileage and going strong. How many people can afford low mileage accident free toyotas?

Go and find out why transmissions are failing (perform proper investigations and diagnosis starting with the highlander trans you want to replace). I suggest you start with the writeup from Nurey. I am also here to help if you need me cos i can see research is not your thing.

I really don't get the whole toyota this toyota that. if toyota transmissions were that bad, they wouldn't score so high on the reliability index.

Let us not go to Benz because that is another problem without solution. I am not changing any Toyota gear but it is a question on my mind. I saw a 13 pin Sienna being converted into 10 pin and in doing that, a lot of things are taken out of the car and it will be like that till it finally dies. I have a 2014 Corolla South Africa type and it's been with me for over a year and my parts seller would not want to sell another gear to me because he said it will not work, unless I buy engine and gear together. That the SA and the US models are different. The aim of the thread is to find a solution. Nor be everything be money 🤑
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by sooperrescue(m): 2:43pm On Mar 09, 2023
9icetoo:

I am waiting for him

Me too. Let me add gazzuzz and Kashif
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 6:52pm On Mar 09, 2023
Smartguyboy:

Emergency mood in benz you said it’s same like CHECK
in Avalon 2014 I know once you On your engine it will check if there’s any fault if there’s any it will indicate.
it isn't not ....Benz has check

You can't compare Benz with Toyota ...who does that
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by Smartguyboy(m): 6:55pm On Mar 09, 2023
ariesbull:
it isn't not ....Benz has check

You can't compare Benz with Toyota ...who does that

Only a fool does that
I am not comparing the two just telling you the emergency mood you are talking about Avalon have it too I know of. Once you start the car it will scan and tell you if there’s any problem.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 8:04am On Mar 10, 2023
Smartguyboy:

Only a fool does that
I am not comparing the two just telling you the emergency mood you are talking about Avalon have it too I know of. Once you start the car it will scan and tell you if there’s any problem.
that isn't what you get in benz

I have driven two benz I drove a C class and I drive a ML 4matic

Benz gear is designed that if anything happened to the gear such as low oil or broken sump ! The gear will enter the emergency mode and this mode means that the gear will not move more than gear 1 and the car will never speed even if you eev it highest ...it is a mechanism to protect the gear

You rarely see benz owners talking about buying new transmission. In short it is rare even in mechanics ! ...

That is why it is rare to see a benz owner changing gear unless it is flooded even if it was. My car has been flooded when I was driving C class..the flood in ikeja messed the C class up and swallowed the car yet the gear was still in tact

The car will be beeping until you fix the emergency mode

I have never had a problem with gear in benz for the past 10yrs I have been driving benz

Just like overheating...the ML can't overheat cos there is a sensor in the radiator that tells you when the water or coolant is very low and you need to top it ...even before the temperature goes up

My first car was a Japanese,very trashy car, since I have been driving benz I get rest of mind in short from last year till now I never visit mechanic apart from changing oil

But when I was driving Japanese ,my mech na my friend

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 8:09am On Mar 10, 2023
sooperrescue:

Let us not go to Benz because that is another problem without solution. I am not changing any Toyota gear but it is a question on my mind. I saw a 13 pin Sienna being converted into 10 pin and in doing that, a lot of things are taken out of the car and it will be like that till it finally dies. I have a 2014 Corolla South Africa type and it's been with me for over a year and my parts seller would not want to sell another gear to me because he said it will not work, unless I buy engine and gear together. That the SA and the US models are different. The aim of the thread is to find a solution. Nor be everything be money 🤑
I used to have this mentality when I driving Japanese ...it is called my father's farm is the best syndrome " until I started driving European cars especially Benz and Volvo then I realised what is rest of mind

Trust me many of these Toyota are over rated ! I can't even touch those toyota again! I have grown pass that level ! What I look in car these days is handling, safety , durability and cornering ! And I can't get these in Toyota products

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 8:11am On Mar 10, 2023
sooperrescue:

lol

Why buy a gear box that is used 2.5 m that is madness ! Sell the car as scrap and add money and buy another car

Toyota cars are expensive to maintain! The highest you will get benz or any European gear box is 600k and it is even rare for the gear to spoil

Una wet dey drive all these Toyota dey try shaaa

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 8:14am On Mar 10, 2023
9icetoo:

Many benz trans have done oner 300k and still strong and I have driven benz pass those and sold them never had a single trans issue for the past 10yrs plus

The truth is that Toyota build with cheap materials and also most of their gears are CVT and we know that CVT gears don't last ! Benz rarely built CVT even bmw or Volvo

Asian car producers love cutting corners and doing lots of recalls
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by Smartguyboy(m): 12:53pm On Mar 10, 2023
ariesbull:

Benz gear is designed that if anything happened to the gear such as low oil or broken sump ! The gear will enter the emergency mode and this mode means that the gear will not move more than gear 1 and the car will never speed even if you eev it highest ...it is a mechanism to protect the gear

You rarely see benz owners talking about buying new transmission. In short it is rare even in mechanics ! ...

That is why it is rare to see a benz owner changing gear unless it is flooded even if it was. My car has been flooded when I was driving C class..the flood in ikeja messed the C class up and swallowed the car yet the gear was still in tact

I have never had a problem with gear in benz for the past 10yrs I have been driving benz

Just like overheating...the ML can't overheat cos there is a sensor in the radiator that tells you when the water or coolant is very low and you need to top it ...even before the temperature goes up

My first car was a Japanese,very trashy car, since I have been driving benz I get rest of mind in short from last year till now I never visit mechanic apart from changing oil

Respect 🫡
I wanted to go for E350 as my first car they advised me not to use such big car to start driving that why I went for avalone. My next whip will be E350.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by RZArecta(m): 5:44pm On Mar 10, 2023
Smartguyboy:

That was how one radio mechanic 👨‍🔧 was finding it very difficult to open my car dashboard because my reverse camera wasn’t working I have to stop him and give him either 1500 or 2k and left the place .
grin grin wise man
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 7:44am On Mar 11, 2023
Smartguyboy:

Respect 🫡
I wanted to go for E350 as my first car they advised me not to use such big car to start driving that why I went for avalone. My next whip will be E350.
lol

Madness says who! Avalon and E 350 is same size...it is like Avalon is even longer than E 350 that is why they call Avalon (Long John ) and no secondhand value ....na Chief and Baale car

Are you a Baale that sells land ? Good lock with that car ! That car transmission na like 700k and engine (V6 2GR Toyota engine ) is about 800k

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by dangervu(m): 8:29am On Mar 11, 2023
Uuuhm Glad i found this thread,i am not mech professional like most of those who have contributed, but out rightly condemning a Toyota as over rate is what i disagree with, my first choice of car was honda, honda showed me whinnny until i switch to Toyota from orobo to pencil light big daddy 2005,2006 ,i have only had issues with my 2006 big daddy gears,the others where fantastic durable cars ,i had no cause to open the the engine or gear before it was sold.....
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 11:10am On Mar 11, 2023
dangervu:
Uuuhm Glad i found this thread,i am not mech professional like most of those who have contributed, but out rightly condemning a Toyota as over rate is what i disagree with, my first choice of car was honda, honda showed me whinnny until i switch to Toyota from orobo to pencil light big daddy 2005,2006 ,i have only had issues with my 2006 big daddy gears,the others where fantastic durable cars ,i had no cause to open the the engine or gear before it was sold.....
you still ended up saying the same thing...Gear problem in your Toyota

As of Honda ...that one is notorious for 2 things ...Gears and legs (I don't even touch that Aboki car)

Orobo, pencil light are Toyota that they tried to build to last those 2000 series aren't built to last obsolescence is the principal they use to build these cars

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 11:13am On Mar 11, 2023
ADVERTISEMENT
MotorBiscuit
Expand Search
MENU
TRUCKS
SUVS
CROSSOVER & MIDSIZE
HYBRIDS & ELECTRICS
SEDANS & COUPES
TIPS, TRICKS & TRENDS
2 WHEELS
VEHICLE REVIEWS
SWIPE
HOME /TIPS, TRICKS & TRENDS
Common Toyota Transmission Problems: Owners Reveal Issues
by Thom Taylor | More Articles: Tips, Tricks & Trends
Published on
June 27, 2022
| Comments (0
)
Share on Twitter
Share on Facebook
Share with email
Share link
Durability, reliability, and trouble-free dependability are all hallmarks of Toyota vehicles. But it is not immune to certain issues that crop up, especially after the miles pile up. It uses many different automatic transmissions across all of its lines. Sienna minivans and Highlander SUVs with 8AT transmissions have reportedly seen a rise in issues. 8AT transmission issues resulted in a class-action lawsuit filed in 2020. Over a million Toyota vehicles are part of that lawsuit.

What transmission problems are Toyota drivers having?
The best Toyota SUVs for highway fuel economy
2019 Toyota Highlander SUV in silver | Toyota
The problems are explained in both the lawsuit and also consumer complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It alleges loss of power or the ability to accelerate. Another issue is transmissions being stuck in one particular gear. The complaints include the 2017 to 2020 Highlander and Sienna, the 2018 to 2020 Avalon sedan, and the 2019 RAV4.

Only 1 Honda Model Failed to Win a Car and Driver 2023 Editors’ Choice Award

RON KING
Read More
Other complaints involve rough, delayed, or sudden shifting, lack of acceleration from a stop, shuddering, abrupt loss of power, and early transmission failures. Some Sienna owners describe deceleration while going into a corner when in Eco mode. Owners say they cannot find a way to defeat the Eco mode, according to Vehicle History.

Which Toyota models have transmission problems?
A silver 2022 Toyota Highlander driving down a winding road.
2019 Toyota Highlander | Toyota
So far, Toyota nor the NHTSA have initiated a safety recall. In 2020, Toyota upgraded the transmissions in models that included the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Matrix, and RAV4. This helped to improve efficiency.

Also, a shift flare can occur during cold start shifts from third to fourth gears. The transmission will slip slightly, followed by a slight increase in engine speed. Causes range from transmission control module software to a weak battery or corroded battery terminals. Also, replacing broken-down fluid can help you avoid some of these problems.
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by Smartguyboy(m): 7:34pm On Mar 11, 2023
ariesbull:
lol

Madness says who! Avalon and E 350 is same size...it is like Avalon is even longer than E 350 that is why they call Avalon (Long John ) and no secondhand value ....na Chief and Baale car

Are you a Baale that sells land ? Good lock with that car ! That car transmission na like 700k and engine (V6 2GR Toyota engine ) is about 800k

Lol 😝

Forget Benz na Benz
Though Avalon 2014 is machine

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 7:39pm On Mar 11, 2023
Smartguyboy:

Lol 😝

Forget Benz na Benz
Though Avalon 2014 is machine
you can't even compare the two

You can compare Avalon with accord or ford

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by dangervu(m): 8:54pm On Mar 11, 2023
ariesbull:
you still ended up saying the same thing...Gear problem in your Toyota

As of Honda ...that one is notorious for 2 things ...Gears and legs (I don't even touch that Aboki car)

Orobo, pencil light are Toyota that they tried to build to last those 2000 series aren't built to last obsolescence is the principal they use to build these cars

if not for the weaken naira to dollar toyota is still the best at that given price compare to other vehicle
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by diportivo: 11:52pm On Mar 11, 2023
ariesbull:

Many benz trans have done oner 300k and still strong and I have driven benz pass those and sold them never had a single trans issue for the past 10yrs plus

The truth is that Toyota build with cheap materials and also most of their gears are CVT and we know that CVT gears don't last ! Benz rarely built CVT even bmw or Volvo

Asian car producers love cutting corners and doing lots of recalls

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by ariesbull: 2:29am On Mar 12, 2023
dangervu:

if not for the weaken naira to dollar toyota is still the best at that given price compare to other vehicle

Toyota the best car..just hear yourself

.a car that gear packs up and smokes anyhow !

Well a child that hasn't gone to other People's farm will say his father's farm is the biggest

1 Like

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by 9icetoo(m): 8:22am On Mar 12, 2023
diportivo:

Let him be.

No teach am. No tell am. Watch the film cumrade.
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by diportivo: 12:37pm On Mar 12, 2023
9icetoo:

Let him be.

No teach am. No tell am. Watch the film cumrade.

Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by Artistree: 5:24am On Mar 19, 2023
[quote author=diportivo post=121677403][/quote]
I may probably pass before your call comes in
Re: Toyota Gurus, Why Is The Toyota Gears Failing? by sooperrescue(m): 10:08pm On Mar 19, 2023
ariesbull:

For those Benz cars with ISM, they are the worst. If the VGS is dirty, that is where the scenario you described occurs but when the ISM fails, the car will be stuck till you remove the propeller to move the car away. If the shaft is out of place, the gear will never move even on gear 1. I know that these are mechanism to protect the gear but the stress involved is out of this world

(1) (2) (Reply)

Un Ending Delay With Classic Terminal Apapa Area Port / 99 Camry Engine / Please How Much Can I Get Tokumbo Ford Edge Neat One And Is It A Good Car??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.