Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,458 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA (4630 Views)

I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) / Should I Still Travel To The USA? / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 10, 2023
If you want to know about Trucking in the US or you want to start a trucking business, ask me anything you want to know, the tips, pitfalls, what to look after, how to get your trucks, drivers pay, estimates, how much you can profit and any other questions, I will ready to guide and teach you for free. I’m a fleet owner and been in this industry for long, I know in and out of this business. I gross last year $988k and can walk you through. I want to see Nigerians in this business, this is a multi billion dollar business and the Russians, Indians and Chinese are cashing out steady.

Let’s go

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by judatech: 3:24pm On Mar 10, 2023
the tips, pitfalls, what to look after, how to get your trucks, drivers pay, estimates, how much you can profit...
Tell me about this
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2023
judatech:
the tips, pitfalls, what to look after, how to get your trucks, drivers pay, estimates, how much you can profit...
Tell me about this

Depending on how you want to start, I am a fleet owner and I work directly with shippers and not brokers but if you’re trying to start with one truck, I will advise you to go for CDL A, as a first timer be ready to either drive it or hire a driver.

Rates are low for Owner Operators with 1 or 2 trucks but you will still profit.

What do you want to start with, Non CDL or CDL

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by judatech: 4:02pm On Mar 10, 2023
Kingofmykingdom:

Depending on how you want to start, I am a fleet owner and I work directly with shippers and not brokers but if you’re trying to start with one truck, I will advise you to go for CDL A, as a first timer be ready to either drive it or hire a driver.

Rates are low for Owner Operators with 1 or 2 trucks but you will still profit.

What do you want to start with, Non CDL or CDL
Can you stay outside USA and run it?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by IkeIgboNile(m): 4:15pm On Mar 10, 2023
How much does a truck cost? How much does it cost to start with one truck? How lucrative is it?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 10, 2023
judatech:

Can you stay outside USA and run it?

Yes if you have trusted hands or lease to someone’s who’s honest but don’t try doing such, I won’t advise

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 10, 2023
IkeIgboNile:
How much does a truck cost? How much does it cost to start with one truck? How lucrative is it?

There are options to go with

1 Lease onto someone’s MC

2. Operate with your own MC

If you are operating your own MC there are things you need to first put in order

1 Form LLC
2 Get your EIN
3 Get your DOT/ MC
4 Finance/ lease/ rent or buying outrightly
5. You will need Insurance to activate your MC and your MC needs to be older than 3 months or atleast 3 months to book loads off loadboards, some brokers can book with you with a new MC but you will have low rate. aAmazon now is even requesting for 180 days MC to book off their LB.

Insurance

GL = $1M / 2M aggregate
BIPD = $1M
Cargo = $100k

Trucking is lucrative, profitable and stressful at same time but you will make it trust me

Cost of trucks depends on what you what
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Tradinggiant: 7:25pm On Mar 10, 2023
Can you get USA visa by starting a truck business from outside?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by IkeIgboNile(m): 7:33pm On Mar 10, 2023
Kingofmykingdom

If you are operating your own MC there are things you need to first put in order

1 Form LLC
2 Get your EIN
3 Get your DOT/ MC
5. You will need Insurance to activate your MC and your MC needs to be older than 3 months or atleast 3 months to book loads off loadboards, some brokers can book with you with a new MC but you will have low rate. aAmazon now is even requesting for 180 days MC to book off their LB.

Insurance

GL = $1M / 2M aggregate
BIPD = $1M
Cargo = $100k

Trucking is lucrative, profitable and stressful at same time but you will make it trust me

Wow....I'm seeing a lot of strange acronyms and large numbers. Please can you kindly break it down for a layman. I hope it's not too much stress.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 10, 2023
IkeIgboNile:
Kingofmykingdom

1 Form LLC
2 Get your EIN
3 Get your DOT/ MC

Insurance

GL = $1M / 2M aggregate
BIPD = $1M
Cargo = $100k

Wow....I'm seeing a lot of strange acronyms and large numbers. Please can you kindly break it down for a layman. I hope it's not too much stress.

MC means Motor Carrier Authority issued to you when you apply to operate and move freely interstate . USDOT means US Dept of Transportation Number issued to you to operate commercially within your state

EIN means Employer Identification Number issued to you be IRS when you form a company

GL = General Liability
BIPD = Body Injury and Personal Damage
These are my fleets, I have it 12 and do you want to start with something like this, if yes it will cost you $120k for The head ( new) and $70k+ the used one unless you’re buying from auction. You can start with a 26ft box truck and will also cost same as the head

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by IkeIgboNile(m): 9:45pm On Mar 10, 2023
Kingofmykingdom

MC means Motor Carrier Authority issued to you when you apply to operate and move freely interstate . USDOT means US Dept of Transportation Number issued to you to operate commercially within your state

EIN means Employer Identification Number issued to you be IRS when you form a company

GL = General Liability
These are my fleets, I have it 12 and do you want to start with something like this, if yes it will cost you $120k for The head ( new) and $70k+ the used one unless you’re buying from auction. You can start with a 26ft box truck and will also cost same as the head

Thanks for the explanation bro, now it make so much sense. The numbers are still huge but achievable. Can a non citizen get all these documents or do you need to partner with someone in order to get the papers and is it still lucrative if you lease instead of buying?
Op, i must say that you're doing really well there. How long(years) do you think it will take for a non citizen to have a fleet like yours?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 10, 2023
IkeIgboNile:
Kingofmykingdom

GL = General Liability

Thanks for the explanation bro, now it make so much sense. The numbers are still huge but achievable. Can a non citizen get all these documents or do you need to partner with someone in order to get the papers and is it still lucrative if you lease instead of buying?
Op, i must say that you're doing really well there. How long(years) do you think it will take for a non citizen to have a fleet like yours?

You can achieve all these are as non citizen but you must be a resident or if you have a trusted person that can run it on your behalf. I will not advise you to run this outside US as trucking involves you the owner to be here as to learn how the business works

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by IkeIgboNile(m): 11:38pm On Mar 10, 2023
Kingofmykingdom

You can achieve all these are as non citizen but you must be a resident or if you have a trusted person that can run it on your behalf. I will not advise you to run this outside US as trucking involves you the owner to be here as to learn how the business works

Ok but do you need all these documents when you lease? Or how much do you think it will cost for someone to start with a truck(used)? Are there states(cities)where the business is less lucrative or more lucrative?
Have no plans of letting someone else run it.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by felixzo1(m): 5:18am On Mar 11, 2023
Kingofmykingdom:
If you want to know about Trucking in the US or you want to start a trucking business, ask me anything you want to know, the tips, pitfalls, what to look after, how to get your trucks, drivers pay, estimates, how much you can profit and any other questions, I will ready to guide and teach you for free. I’m a fleet owner and been in this industry for long, I know in and out of this business. I gross last year $988k and can walk you through. I want to see Nigerians in this business, this is a multi billion dollar business and the Russians, Indians and Chinese are cashing out steady.

Let’s go
how do you get loads as a newbie , arrvyou responsible for loading and offloading. how do you survivor trucking i n the winter. if you invest in a new truck how long will it take before y0u break even as owner operator.what is the average income for owner operator per year after expenses

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Bobbiet(m): 8:51am On Mar 11, 2023
Good morning sir..
For someone completely new to truck driving, is there any opportunity to learn it over there?
How long would it take to master and get a job in trucking?

If someone has to come in with experience, u ow many years experience would you advice?

Lastly for now, between truck driving and Diesel mechanic, which is more lucrative and has better opportunities?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by nattyspice: 10:01am On Mar 11, 2023
Which engine last longer.Cummins, Detroit or cat?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by afooiscool: 10:59am On Mar 11, 2023
Sir,my question is quite different, what if someone is coming for driving the truck?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Louis8796: 12:48pm On Mar 11, 2023
How much is a truck?
Kingofmykingdom:

Let’s go
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 11, 2023
IkeIgboNile:
Kingofmykingdom

Ok but do you need all these documents when you lease? Or how much do you think it will cost for someone to start with a truck(used)? Are there states(cities)where the business is less lucrative or more lucrative?
Have no plans of letting someone else run it.

If you are leasing, there are company’s that will ask you to lease with them, where you bring the trucks and lease to their MC/ DOT. For instance, you can bring your trucks and lease to my company and I will be paying you like 80% of what your trucks earning every Friday and 20% will be for my dispatching and MC/DOT, meaning you just don’t need any documentation or paperwork except the normal insurance.

Depending on what you want, Straight Truck or Semi( Straight truck is 26ft box truck and semi is the one I posted above) Semi is divided into Hook and Drop only or 53 dry van.

We have local, regional, long haul and short haul. It will cost you approximately $80k to buy a box truck or Semi from a dealership and I will advise you to buy from a dealership first as to get a 6 - 1 year warranty.

Rates are kind of low if you’re booking from loadboards , this is due to the fact that there are middle men like Shipper - Broker- Dispatcher/O/O

If you are doing hook and drop or using a box truck , states to avoid due to low rates are Florida, LA, AL, MA, NM, Montana

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 11, 2023
afooiscool:
Sir,my question is quite different, what if someone is coming for driving the truck?

You need to learn how to drive a CDL and the pay is good and you can earn atleast 1800$ weekly

Learn how to drive this I posted

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:33pm On Mar 11, 2023
Louis8796:
How much is a truck?

I bought this truck last year from Freightliner for $120k and the trailer $60k from Great Dane. This is new and fresh from factory 2020. The used one can go as low $70k and the trailer $50k or less

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 11, 2023
nattyspice:
Which engine last longer.Cummins, Detroit or cat?

Cummins and Alison Transmission or Ealton Fuller

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 11, 2023
Bobbiet:
Good morning sir..
For someone completely new to truck driving, is there any opportunity to learn it over there?
How long would it take to master and get a job in trucking?

If someone has to come in with experience, u ow many years experience would you advice?

Lastly for now, between truck driving and Diesel mechanic, which is more lucrative and has better opportunities?

Go for truck driving and I can hire you as a driver and fresh out of school I will be paying you 0.45 cpm loaded or unloaded and 3000 miles weekly. If I sponsor your school I will pay you 0.35 cpm and you will work for me for 2 years. I have health benefits, 401k matching, PTO, SPL and tuition reimbursement.

Nigerian truck experience is different from US experience. There things you need to know here that you don’t know in Nigeria. The DeF system, 5th wheel, spreading of axles and how to drive during winter, following the ELD and traffic signs, weigh stations and how to spread your weight. Remember each loaded FTL is 80,000lbs. And how to use the Air ride system

I will advise you to learn how to drive it in Nigeria, come over here and enroll in a 3 weeks school to learn and write the exam then get your CDL and work briefly for major carriers like CR England, Jb hunt and others. It will cost you atleast $5k to enroll and get your CDL.

Truck drivers earn atleast $1800 W2 weekly

5 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Louis8796: 1:41pm On Mar 11, 2023
What do u use this truck for?
Kingofmykingdom:

I bought this truck last year from Freightliner for $120k and the trailer $60k from Great Dane. This is new and fresh from factory 2020. The used one can go as low $70k and the trailer $50k or less
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 11, 2023
Louis8796:
What do u use this truck for?

Moving of freights interstate. This is called 53ft Dry Van. Tractor and Trailer. The trailer is 53ft long x 102” Width x 102” Height. I move Hazmat loads but you can move other things. We have also Refeer and Flatbeds. A FTL of this weighs 80,000lbs
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Louis8796: 1:49pm On Mar 11, 2023
OK,thanks for reply?
Kingofmykingdom:

Moving of freights interstate. This is called 53ft Dry Van. Tractor and Trailer. The trailer is 53ft long x 102” Width x 102” Height. I move Hazmat loads but you can move other things. We have also Refeer and Flatbeds. A FTL of this weighs 80,000lbs
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 11, 2023
[quote author=felixzo1 post=121644641] how do you get loads as a newbie , arrvyou responsible for loading and offloading. how do you survivor trucking i n the winter. if you invest in a new truck how long will it take before y0u break even as owner operator.what is the average income for owner operator per year after expenses[/quote

If you invest in a Tractor and trailer it will cost you almost 180$k from dealership and you can cover back within 12 months. You can finance, you can owner it outright and you can chose to buy from auction( more cheaper ) but you will put extra money to fix it to standard.

Please do not buy any truck with deleted DEF and I will advise you to buy from dealers as to get the warranty. Each tires cost like 550-900$ the steer tires and alignment is like $150-500, PM oil change is 150-500 and the problem is the DEF but if you maintain it properly, no shaking you are good to go.

Loads are on Loadboards and you also get loads from Major carriers, so load is not going to be a problem, there are more than 1 million loads daily
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Louis8796: 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2023
What is Hazmat?
Kingofmykingdom:

Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by felixzo1(m): 1:59pm On Mar 11, 2023
[quote author=Kingofmykingdom post=121654068][ /quote] how is driving in the winter, and how faster can one learn how to drive , enough to hit the road
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 11, 2023
Louis8796:
What is Hazmat?

Hazardous Materials like Chemicals, Harmful and not harmful l, toxic chemicals, fuels, nuclear waste products, and biological, chemical, and radiological agents
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by nattyspice: 3:27pm On Mar 11, 2023
what nationalities are your drivers? Also 180,000 dollars x750 = 135 million naira,
Re: Ask Me Anything About Trucking Business In The USA by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 11, 2023
Kingofmykingdom:

Let’s go

I'm willing to learn this truck driving, can I enroll directly in the USA and then use the enrollment offer for Visa. Application?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Lady Had A Premonition About The Ethiopian Plane Crash. / Dubai Visa Has No Age Or Marriage Restrictions - Emirates / What Buiness Can Run In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.