Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,020 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career (2085 Views)

Ask Me Any Question About Car Tracker. / 9 Star Trek Ships Redesigned As Cars / Am Auto Electrician Ask Me Any Question Concerning The Electrical Problems In Ur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by fashrola(m): 2:27pm On Mar 16, 2023
Ask me Anything about Ships or how you can become a crew onboard, I will gladly answer your questions, Nairaland doesn't have a forum for ships, hence the car section might be a perfect fit

Note: I don't give jobs, but I can guide you on navigating through the maritime career path

I have been looking for an opportunity to give you an inner experience of how an offshore vessel looks like...

They are different types of vessels

1. Roro ship
2. Container ship
3. Bulk carrier
4. Crude carrier
5. Gas Ship (LNG)
6. Oil tankers

You can Google each of them to get an insight on what they do

I work onboard offshore vessels, that's why I'm gonna narrow my explanation on this type of vessels

We have vessels which provides vital services to offshore installations which include

1. AHTS - Anchor Handling and Towing vessel
2. ASD Tugs - Azimuth Stern Drive tugs
3. DSV - Diving support Vessel
4. PSV - Platform Supply Vessel
5. Seismic Vessels
6.Pipe Laying vessels

The above mentioned vessels are all available in Nigeria carrying out services for IOCs

Though I've only worked on AHTS, ASD Tugs even though other vessels are of the same configuration but they perform different tasks

The duty of AHTS and ASD tug is for static towing

Onboard a ship, we have ratings and officers and it has two departments

Deck & Engine

The Captain is the overall, that's why he's also called the master but the certification of the captain and Chief Engineer is the same

Officers
Captain
Chief Engineer
Chief Mate or chief officer
Second Engineer - This is my rank onboard
Second mate or second officer
Third engineer
ETO

Ratings (Depends on the type of vessel)
Bosun, also called QuarterMaster
AB
Oiler
Cook

Onboard the ship, my responsibilities are enormous, ranging from Main engine maintenance, generators, Steering gear systems, Air conditioning unit etc

I'm onboard, and the bandwidth is crazy to upload pictures, I may do that much later if the network is good

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by fashrola(m): 3:29pm On Mar 16, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by emmaodet: 6:56am On Mar 17, 2023
Mr Fash, I need a job
I am a chief mate

Ese gan
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by nurey(m): 7:07am On Mar 17, 2023
[quote author=fashrola post=121788182][/quote]

With your extensive experience on sea, have you ever come across the sea creature mermaid?

Do you have idea on working in a submarine?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by Okoyedavid3(f): 8:22am On Mar 17, 2023
Nice, these days people are mostly interested in a lucrative career, would be nice to inform us how the pay is like and for the position listed what's the minimum required qualifications.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by fashrola(m): 12:23pm On Mar 17, 2023
nurey:

With your extensive experience on sea, have you ever come across the sea creature mermaid?

Do you have idea on working in a submarine?

Mermaid is a myth and doesn't exist!!!!!

i dont have a first hand experience on how submarine works, though i've read a lot on submarines.... its an incredible piece of engineering

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by fashrola(m): 12:37pm On Mar 17, 2023
Okoyedavid3:
Nice, these days people are mostly interested in a lucrative career, would be nice to inform us how the pay is like and for the position listed what's the minimum required qualifications.

Well maritime jobs is lucrative but not any more in Nigeria, except you are working in a multinational companies like Bourbon, Topaz, Thompe offshore etc (Some of these companies are no longer in Nigeria due to lot of factors)

UAE is not a hotspot for Nigerian seafarers now, because they are employing lot of Nigerians over there just like UK taking away our health workers in Nigeria, now every dream of a seafarer is to move to a better company with good salary, fair contract and benefits

In Nigeria, A captain in an indigenous maritime company earns about 1.5- 2 million (Which is very poor, ever since they brought local content law into the maritime sector, the blacks have been messing up the system)

A chief mate could earn like 800k-1.2 million and could go higher if he or she possesses DPVM licence

Normally this is what a crew onboard earns in a sane country and on offshore vessels like DSV or PSV

Captain - $8000 - $15000 per month
Chief Engineer- $7000 - $14000 per month
Chief Mate or chief officer - $6000 - $12000 per month
Second Engineer - $6000-$12000 per month
Second mate or second officer - $5000 -$10000 per month
Third engineer - $5000 -$10000 per month
ETO - $12000 - $18 per month

The ratings like the AB, Oiler & Cooks cook earn like $1500 - $2000 per month

This salary depends on the company, country and type of vessel

In Nigeria, I've seen where the chief engineer earns 3.5 million per month

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by fashrola(m): 12:40pm On Mar 17, 2023
emmaodet:
Mr Fash, I need a job
I am a chief mate

Ese gan

Are you on Marine officers forum of nigeria group on telegram?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by emmaodet: 12:59pm On Mar 17, 2023
fashrola:

Are you on Marine officers forum of nigeria group on telegram?

Yes I am

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by STANALVAREX(m): 6:55pm On Sep 17, 2023
emmaodet:

Yes I am
Pls how do I join the Marine officers group... Pls Share the link to me via gmail
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by fashrola(m): 11:01am On Sep 18, 2023
STANALVAREX:

Pls how do I join the Marine officers group... Pls Share the link to me via gmail

It’s for certified marine engineers….
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by soccerlite: 5:47pm On Sep 22, 2023
What's the training path

Which aspect is fair to start with
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by AfonjaConehead: 7:56pm On Oct 04, 2023
fashrola:

It’s for certified marine engineers….
How discourse about pumpman and able seamen?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by DND069: 4:43pm On Dec 17, 2023
fashrola:
Ask me Anything about Ships or how you can become a crew onboard, I will gladly answer your questions, Nairaland doesn't have a forum for ships, hence the car section might be a perfect fit

Note: I don't give jobs, but I can guide you on navigating through the maritime career path

I have been looking for an opportunity to give you an inner experience of how an offshore vessel looks like...

1. Roro ship
2. Container ship
3. Bulk carrier
4. Crude carrier
5. Gas Ship (LNG)
6. Oil tankers

I work onboard offshore vessels, that's why I'm gonna narrow my explanation on this type of vessels

We have vessels which provides vital services to offshore installations which include

5. Seismic Vessels
6.Pipe Laying vessels

The above mentioned vessels are all available in Nigeria carrying out services for IOCs

Though I've only worked on AHTS, ASD Tugs even though other vessels are of the same configuration but they perform different tasks

Deck & Engine

The Captain is the overall, that's why he's also called the master but the certification of the captain and Chief Engineer is the same

Officers
Captain
Chief Engineer
Third engineer
ETO

AB
Oiler
Cook

Onboard the ship, my responsibilities are enormous, ranging from Main engine maintenance, generators, Steering gear systems, Air conditioning unit etc

I'm onboard, and the bandwidth is crazy to upload pictures, I may do that much later if the network is good

Hello sir, I am about to begin a path/career in the maritime industry. Can I pm you so you can give me some guidelines amd certifications to acquire.

Coastal Maritime Academy at ikoyi, lagos is where I wanna obtain these certifications.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by STANALVAREX(m): 6:04am On Dec 23, 2023
It’s for certified marine engineers….[/quote]

Okay is there any telegram group for newbie in marine field.. pls help
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by judatech: 1:55pm On Jan 13
Your WhatsApp?
Mine is 08179176060
Let's deal
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by Boriqua(m): 12:14pm On Feb 01
fashrola:

1. Roro ship
2. Container ship
3. Bulk carrier
4. Crude carrier
5. Gas Ship (LNG)
6. Oil tankers

5. Seismic Vessels
6.Pipe Laying vessels

Deck & Engine

Officers
Captain
Chief Engineer
Third engineer
ETO

AB
Oiler
Cook

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by Krestkross: 2:55pm On Apr 10
i need to contact you, it's urgent pls.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by Jay4joy: 4:48pm On May 04
Please can you help with deck cadetship placement sir
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ships & Maritime Career by Hier(m): 9:09am On May 05
Nice one sir

Could you enlighten us on buying and selling

Assuming I have a million naira and I want to buy goods from abroad, how do I go about it

Let's take for instance, I want to buy electrical appliances, TV, fan, generators etc

How do I buy and make massive profit

I mean how can I become an importer and is it lucrative becoming an importer sir cause when I hear things like customs and those stuffs, delving into importations looks so risky and bleak

(1) (Reply)

Vibration Problem In Honda Discussion Continues 2007 / The Top 10 Cheapest Cars In The World (With Photos) / I Need Help With My BMW X6 Twin Turbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.