Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,427 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) (40340 Views)

Body Of Christian Atsu Arrives In Ghana (Pictures) / Christian Atsu Found Dead In Turkey Earthquake - Agent / Christian Atsu Trapped Under Rubble After Earthquake In Turkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:05pm On Mar 17, 2023
Family, fans and beneficiaries of Christian Atsu’s charitable donations remembered the 31-year-old as a philanthropist.

Grieving Ghanaians gathered outside the country’s parliament building in Accra on Friday for the state funeral of national football team winger Christian Atsu, who died during the devastating earthquake in southern Turkey last month.

Atsu, 31, was caught up in a 7.8-magnitude earthquake that rocked Turkey and Syria on February 6, killing more than 54,000 people in both countries. He had gone missing following the collapse of an apartment building in Hatay.

There were initial reports the player had been pulled alive a day after the quake, but these turned out to be false and his body was later found under the rubble and flown back to Ghana.

Mourners silently filed past Atsu’s coffin, which arrived draped in Ghana’s national flag. Family, fans and beneficiaries of his charitable donations remembered him as a philanthropist.

“He’s even more than a football player,” said Fedna Asare, a family friend. “His name will forever be in our hearts because he has helped a lot of people.”

Atsu, 31, spent four seasons at Chelsea before a permanent transfer to Newcastle in 2017. He signed in September for Turkish Super Lig side Hatayspor, based in Hatay, near the epicentre of the earthquake.

He won the last of his 60 Ghana national caps in September 2019.

Atsu had been scheduled to fly out of southern Turkey hours before the quake but the Ghanaian had opted to stay with the club after scoring the winning goal in a February 5 Super Lig match. It was the last of his 33 career goals for Hatayspor.

Atsu’s older brother and twin sister were present at the site when his body was recovered, Ghana’s foreign ministry said.

A tribute was held for Atsu on February 18, attended by his widow Marie-Claire Rupio and their three children, at St James’ Park before Newcastle’s Premier League match against Liverpool.

ALJAZEERA | VANGUARD

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:05pm On Mar 17, 2023
“There are no words to describe our sadness,” tweeted his Turkish top-flight club in homage to him.

“We will not forget you, Atsu. Peace be upon you, beautiful person.”

He previously played for his national team, the Black Stars.

Ghana’s President Nana Akufo-Addo said, “Football has lost one of its finest ambassadors, one who will be difficult to replace.”

ALJAZEERA

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Righteousness2(m): 8:10pm On Mar 17, 2023
Condolences to the family of Christian atsu.

As we pass our time on earth , pls Ensure you live daily in the Conciousness of eternity.
As you make plans for this and that, ensure you make preparations for eternity.

Anyone could be gone at anytime and anywhere.
Preparation for eternity entails handing your life over to JESUS Christ and living for HIM.
There is no repentance in the Grave.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Totilopussylick(m): 8:12pm On Mar 17, 2023
R. I. P

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by JohnBullMySon: 8:24pm On Mar 17, 2023
RIP Atsu

I'm not trying to be insensitive but I don't understand why he's being laid to rest with military honors.

He was not a political leader. He was not in the military as well. Why the military procession?

7 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by HeartlessMan: 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2023
Oversabi.
Nature already buried him but anything to raise funds is okay by Africans.

14 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by fredoooooo: 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rest on bro ... you played your part well on earth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by ecolime(m): 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2023
RIP Atsu cry
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Emmastan291: 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2023
He will be missed alot..
His good deeds are very evident..
Rest in peace Christian Atsu...

From all football fans

16 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Otulented: 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rip my mani baller
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Olurondo: 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2023
May his soul rest in peace!!

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Oboto700(m): 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rest in peace atsu

1 Like

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Johnames: 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rip bro
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by SmartyPants(m): 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
RIP Atsu

I'm not trying to be insensitive but I don't understand why he's being laid to rest with military honors.

He was not a political leader. He was not in the military as well. Why the military procession?

What's it to you?

Not trying to be insensitive either, but I don't understand why it bothers you. It is not your military honors, is it?

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by dfrost: 8:45pm On Mar 17, 2023
Hmm...
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Salvation2: 8:45pm On Mar 17, 2023
RIP ATSU. Am always moved by ur good heart, the charity u did and how merciful u were to the less prevailed. I just hope u made peace with the Almighty God before ur sudden demise because if we have it all and we don't have Jesus Christ, we will loose all!

For those of us who are previlleged to be alive today, let's do the needful and embrace Jesus Christ as our Lord and personal saviour. Time waits for no one!!

Shalom!!!

9 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:45pm On Mar 17, 2023
May his soul Rest In Peace
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Oboto700(m): 8:46pm On Mar 17, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
RIP Atsu

mumu.. na you know pass them? All these tinubu
Urchins with low I.Q

18 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by tegrianonigltd(m): 8:46pm On Mar 17, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
RIP Atsu

He gave his sweat and blood to serve the country, and the manner he died, they would want to at least give him a befitting burial.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Madaraa1(m): 8:46pm On Mar 17, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
RIP Atsu

Well he was a great giver and people loves him like I watched the funeral and after interview this guy like to help probably that's why just to honor good person

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by DannyWalker: 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2023
RIP man

There are so many painful ways to die.

The chances of a man's death to be painless is less than 10%

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by abobote: 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rest in peace
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by ABIODUN105(m): 8:51pm On Mar 17, 2023
RIP CHRISTIAN ATSU
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Eriokanmi: 8:51pm On Mar 17, 2023
Oloun ma ję ka rin arin fęsę si laye. May his sould RIP

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by bikefab(m): 8:51pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rest in peace young blood...
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by goslowgoslow(m): 8:54pm On Mar 17, 2023
Oboto700:
mumu.. na you know pass them? All these tinubu j
Urchins with low I.q.
You sef be mumu Obi social media miscreant. Na everything be politics!

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Oboto700(m): 8:58pm On Mar 17, 2023
goslowgoslow:

You sef be mumu Obi social media miscreant. Na everything be politics!
by thier comments you shall know them.. get away..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Profayo: 9:00pm On Mar 17, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
RIP Atsu

He is a national hero!
And how do you know he hss not invested significantly in the nation's military?
Re: Ghana Holds Burial For Christian Atsu (Photos) by Devilagentcap: 9:00pm On Mar 17, 2023
Rest in peace brother, we love you.....

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FIFA Confirms Super Eagles As Youngest Squad During 2018 W/cup Qualifiers / Who Is Your Best EPL Attacking Trio Of All Time? / Samson Siasia Begs Nigerians To Help Raise 250,000 Euros To Appeal FIFA Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.