Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? (3998 Views)

Why Does OPAY Do This On 1xbet? / US Bank Stops Western Union Transfers To Nigeria In Aftermath Of 80 Fraud Burst? / 3 Ways To Start Making Money Doing What You Love - Onlinenigerianbusiness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 11:45pm On Mar 18, 2023
Many people using Opay service are still scared of leaving substantial amounts in their accounts. One major reason is that they can't pinpoint the means via which the service makes profit.

Second reason is that they worry that Opay doesn't have physical branches around like traditional banks. Users worry they won't know where to go to should they have issues.

I know Opay is approved by CBN and insured by NDIC but are these enough to guarantee security of money saved with them?

Please how does Opay make profit?

4 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Treasure17(m): 12:06am On Mar 19, 2023
The returns they get from POS merchants is enough.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 12:10am On Mar 19, 2023
Treasure17:
The returns they get from POS merchants is enough.
Okay

What about security of savings?
Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Alearna: 4:17am On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:
Many people using Opay service are still scared of leaving substantial amounts in their accounts. One major reason is that they can't pinpoint the means via which the service makes profit.

Second reason is that they worry that Opay doesn't have physical branches around like traditional banks. Users worry they won't know where to go to should they have issues.

I know Opay is approved by CBN and insured by NDIC but are these enough to guarantee security of money saved with them?

Guy, free transfers plus cashbacks.

They've been around for long though & licensed no yawa.

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by ojietu: 5:04am On Mar 19, 2023
Exactly my worries too. It would be nice to get a very convincing answer to the above raised questions

9 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Germanjoe(m): 6:10am On Mar 19, 2023
ojietu:
Exactly my worries too. It would be nice to get a very convincing answer to the above raised questions
Before cbn will allow such bank in the country,they know it insured,the tariffs they get for their processes,they are not physical banks,paying utilities n maintenance.if it only physical banks in Nigeria cashless won't work self.

4 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Bahamas95(m): 6:39am On Mar 19, 2023
This guy above me is very funny, so you still believe in CBN? grin grin

When e red dem go deny you and Opay.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by arkonpoint: 7:36am On Mar 19, 2023
To the best of my knowledge, opay is a portfolio business of the owners of opera, they're not concerned with immediate gains. They want a piece of the Nigerian market and they're getting it thereby pushing up the valuation of the company. The resale value is more than enough

14 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 7:42am On Mar 19, 2023
arkonpoint, how valuable exactly can an unprofitable business be?
Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Conner44: 7:43am On Mar 19, 2023
They invest with the deposits you leave with them.

2 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by visaclick: 7:45am On Mar 19, 2023
Even at this modern day technology people are still asking about physical branches. Okay let me ask you those whose money were wipped out by uba and access did they get their money back even upon all the drama caused at the branches?

My advice don’t leave much money at the bank invest your funds because the cbn on the cashless policy mismanagement just proved to be clueless themselves.

9 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Ibeira: 7:58am On Mar 19, 2023
They are also making money from the app

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by bukiah: 9:00am On Mar 19, 2023
Walahi, especially under this Emefiele
Bahamas95:
This guy above me is very funny, so you still believe in CBN? grin grin

When e red dem go deny you and Opay.

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by ProphetM0hammad: 9:11am On Mar 19, 2023
ojietu:

They are owned by the Chinese who also own a lot of loan apps

They use your money for business too
They loan someone 5k to collect 10k in 7 days

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Olachase(m): 9:49am On Mar 19, 2023
Na kuda own day worry me, sometimes I go login to my account I go see #0.00 account way I get almost 300k inside make this bank no go give person high blood pressure, πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Buh for now I think they are the best

8 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by oz4real83(m): 9:50am On Mar 19, 2023
Germanjoe:

Before cbn will allow such bank in the country,they know it insured,the tariffs they get for their processes,they are not physical banks,paying utilities n maintenance.if it only physical banks in Nigeria cashless won't work self.
all those banks that folded up, like Allstates trust bank and others where customers lost their funds, were they not having CBN-approval and insurance? Na just God dey protect our funds for these Nigerian banks, not only by CBN approval or insurance cool

2 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 10:05am On Mar 19, 2023
Olachase:
Na kuda own day worry me, sometimes I go login to my account I go see #0.00 account way I get almost 300k inside make this bank no go give person high blood pressure, πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Buh for now I think they are the best
Lol grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by CodeTemplar: 11:47am On Mar 19, 2023
They are typical bank but wholly electronic in operation.
If a thousand people deposit a million naira each, every depositor cannot pull out their money at same time or within short period. This gives the bank(OPay) the chance to loan out some of the money for interest and thus profit.

Plus their infrastructure is adept at delivering reliable services already. They gave us Opera Mini long before OPay and it was secure as well as free.

3 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by arkonpoint: 11:50am On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:
arkonpoint, how valuable exactly can an unprofitable business be?

I'll give an example, when Facebook was starting out, all the services were free if charge and even up to date most of the services on it at still free, how then do they come up with their huge evaluation, there lies in your answer

3 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 12:58pm On Mar 19, 2023
arkonpoint:

I'll give an example, when Facebook was starting out, all the services were free if charge and even up to date most of the services on it at still free, how then do they come up with their huge evaluation, there lies in your answer
Facebook sells ads, Opay doesn't. Google is free because it sells ad(infact you're what google sells). What does Opay sell?

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Frezhkid10(m): 1:05pm On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Facebook sells ads, Opay doesn't. Google is free because it sells ad(infact you're what google sells). What does Opay sell?
How many branches does micro finance bank have in the country??

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 1:15pm On Mar 19, 2023
Frezhkid10:

How many branches does micro finance bank have in the country??
I don't get
Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 1:15pm On Mar 19, 2023
I think Opay will go into e-commerce in future

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by 9182736455O1999(m): 2:03pm On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

You forgot to add referal and signing up bonuses, even cashbacks.
Like i'm still wondering how they make profits.
Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by MikeMicheal(m): 2:05pm On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Opay doesnt have physical branches that require high maintainance na.
They are online, so the bills associated with having lots of big buildings in every corner is eliminated.

Then they are able to divert the money people deposited into better use.
E.g investments

Also, they have POS agents here and there.
Those agents pay a fee for transactions.

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Elitefosa: 2:07pm On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

I personally own an OPay (or Paycom Digital Services) machine. Anytime a customer makes a withdrawal i.e I insert the card in the machine and withdraw, for amounts below 5,000, Opay charges about N15 to N25, but I charge the customer N100. Now if you do the maths, you see that I make somewhere between N85 to N75...

The N15 Opay makes on transactions like this looks small, but if you multiply that by the huge number of such transactions on a daily basis, herein lies your answer as to what they sell and how they make their money.

And what Opay does is for long term, they are not in it for immediate profit... I know of POS machines who charge way higher.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by arkonpoint: 2:50pm On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Early days of both companies, there was no ads

2 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by Goldmynemaniac: 2:53pm On Mar 19, 2023
arkonpoint:

Early days of both companies, there was no ads
Which means they might later add charges to transfers. Probably just luring customers now.

3 Likes

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by MrBroke(m): 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2023
Opay charges for transfer, don't get what you saying. Which opay ona dey use?

1 Like

Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by arkonpoint: 4:30pm On Mar 19, 2023
Goldmynemaniac:

Which means they might later add charges to transfers. Probably just luring customers now.

You got that right.
Re: How Does Opay Make Money Doing Free Transfers? by arkonpoint: 4:31pm On Mar 19, 2023
MrBroke:
Opay charges for transfer, don't get what you saying. Which opay ona dey use?

They don't unless you're sending to a merchant account. Atleast for now, all transfer are free

(1) (2) (Reply)

Golden Penny Distributorship Enquries And Customers Support / Skye Bank Money Gram Exchange Rate / Ruzu Herbal Bitters In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.