Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together (45800 Views)

Is Duck Farming Very Lucrative In Nigeria / Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming / Duck Farming: Why It Is A Good Alternative To Chicken. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by LagBae(f): 4:35pm On Apr 01, 2023
Olugids:
Hello lovers of Agriculture and livestocks.

This thread is particularly dedicated to you all.

I have been a livestock farmer for years and my stock bank and expertise includes Rabbits, Goats, Piggery, Cattle and poultry.

Recently, as a form of response to the economic harshness we have been experiencing, I decided to research into a livestock farming that could yield so much with very minimal input and I found one in the category of poultry which is duck farming.

The journey has started already and I just wouldn't like to travel all alone as I have practically done in all other aspects of livestock farming I operate.

This time, I want every lover of livestock, particularly duck lovers, to journey with me, share with me, rejoice with me and benefit from me. I also want to learn from you: I want to hear your criticisms and suggestions.

Meanwhile, please I abhor criticisms without suggestive solutions or promising ideas.

The goal here is simple!

It is about an alternative farming with 'little input' and maximum output. Can we have cheaper quality meats? Can we have cheaper quality eggs? What inputs will be required to attain reasonable commercial quantities?

Well, together we will see how it goes: together we will answer these questions but so far, I started with 10 Muscovies @2month Old.

Please where are you based?
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by JuanDeDios: 4:52pm On Apr 01, 2023
overdrive:
Is there market for the meat?where are you based?
There probably is. I mean, I have some in my freezer as we speak.

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Caleb15(m): 5:00pm On Apr 01, 2023
When buying ducks, buy them in pairs male & female, it is very lucrative
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Biafraaa: 5:08pm On Apr 01, 2023
gaby:

Since the week passed, my head and dreams has been farming, farming, and farming.

I hope to find a farm like yours and a mentor to take me through the ropes.

I just want to live a simple life surrounded by nature and all it has to offer.

I don tire for all these noisy fast-paced and tortuos rigmarole life in a rat-race style.

Bros calm down. All will be well. God is in control.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Zane2point4(m): 5:23pm On Apr 01, 2023
Success but be meticulous about it!

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by JOemmy(m): 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2023
Olugids:
I changed the shavings to sharp sand on Saturday (Guber election day) to sharp sand and added on additional water through for them. The first was kinda high and difficult for them to access but d second water bowl is lower and they have been swimming better.

More pictures later...

Do duck meat have same taste with chicken meat? Am yet to taste duck meat
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by NaBanga: 6:17pm On Apr 01, 2023
Duck and goose feather comforters and duvets sell for a lot in America.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by DeOTR: 6:28pm On Apr 01, 2023
Olugids:
One of them died just about four 3 days after I brought them in

I suspect it was starvation. I couldn't get feed for them on time and by the time I did, it was too weak to contest for feed. Despite isolating it, it still died.

It's d one in the letter 'O'
Water is very important for Ducks. When I said water, I mean the one they can swim in.
Don't be surprised if later, your birds migrate to where they can get water if you don't provide one.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Akintol23(m): 6:32pm On Apr 01, 2023
How do u create market for d ducks produced?. What is d value of ducks in Nigerian market?.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by NaijaSumigan: 6:41pm On Apr 01, 2023
dankorode:
If not for thief wey dey come to our our backyard to thieves my chickens enh, about last two month,na five Big cockerels dem thieves at once

Stealing is wickedness. Hopefully, they shall be caught and desist from such wicked act.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Dshocker(m): 8:09pm On Apr 01, 2023
Olugids:
Hello lovers of Agriculture and livestocks.

This thread is particularly dedicated to you all.

I have been a livestock farmer for years and my stock bank and expertise includes Rabbits, Goats, Piggery, Cattle and poultry.

Recently, as a form of response to the economic harshness we have been experiencing, I decided to research into a livestock farming that could yield so much with very minimal input and I found one in the category of poultry which is duck farming.

The journey has started already and I just wouldn't like to travel all alone as I have practically done in all other aspects of livestock farming I operate.

This time, I want every lover of livestock, particularly duck lovers, to journey with me, share with me, rejoice with me and benefit from me. I also want to learn from you: I want to hear your criticisms and suggestions.

Meanwhile, please I abhor criticisms without suggestive solutions or promising ideas.

The goal here is simple!

It is about an alternative farming with 'little input' and maximum output. Can we have cheaper quality meats? Can we have cheaper quality eggs? What inputs will be required to attain reasonable commercial quantities?

Well, together we will see how it goes: together we will answer these questions but so far, I started with 10 Muscovies @2month Old.

So people actually eat this thing?

I rate it same with vulture meat 🤮
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by AngelicBeing: 9:02pm On Apr 01, 2023
cheesy
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Nmezor(f): 9:03pm On Apr 01, 2023
sharpwriter:

I learnt their eggs are best for making cakes... It brings fluffy texture bla bla. Between where have you been?
You don't say...Their eggs are pretty large tho
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by PAWG(m): 11:49pm On Apr 01, 2023
Antibettings:
Following

I’ve never seen duck sold in the market. Is it possible that most of the meat sold as frozen chicken could be duck?

Cc: olugids

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Kk4(m): 5:58am On Apr 02, 2023
thisisit:
DUCK HAS NO COMMERCIAL OR NUTRITIONAL VALUE...

IT HAS ONLY SPIRITUAL VALUE..
SOME SAY ITS AN EVIL BIRD
HAWK DOESN'T PREY ON IT

PLEASE GO FOR PIG.. BUSINESS
NOT DUCK SPIRITUAL BUSYNESS

Ignorance no go kee my people.
Duck is an excellent source of protein and healthy fat and its a very sought after meat in Western world.

Kudos to your new venture Op.

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 6:29am On Apr 02, 2023
Creamcrest:
I'm also a duck farmer.

One advantage duck has is that they have a stronger immunity compared to chickens.

If you start with 6 ducks you can get up to 200 ducks in one year and there is market for it.

I sell my ducks through running online ads and I have a large network of duck farmers.
Awesome. Guess u have a Whatsapp or telegram group. If you don't mind, kindly drop link for new members including me
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 6:33am On Apr 02, 2023
PAWG:

I’ve never seen duck sold in the market. Is it possible that most of the meat sold as frozen chicken could be duck?

I really can't tell o. But I doubt it considering where the intestines of a duck is...

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by LajaLaba: 8:40am On Apr 02, 2023
Dshocker:

Cos u are ignorant
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 8:58am On Apr 02, 2023
Dshocker:

Wow, really?
You should cast off that notion
Duck meat is excellent
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 9:00am On Apr 02, 2023
DeOTR:

Water is very important for Ducks. When I said water, I mean the one they can swim in.
Don't be surprised if later, your birds migrate to where they can get water if you don't provide one.

Yeah, you are right. And even aside that, without water, they become quite messy.
Anyway, I am working on providing a small pool

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 9:02am On Apr 02, 2023
LagBae:

Please where are you based?
Ibadan.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by syntekelite(m): 10:18am On Apr 02, 2023
gaby:

Since the week passed, my head and dreams has been farming, farming, and farming.

I hope to find a farm like yours and a mentor to take me through the ropes.

I just want to live a simple life surrounded by nature and all it has to offer.

I don tire for all these noisy fast-paced and tortuos rigmarole life in a rat-race style.

No be usa u dey ohhh.. security first .. insecurity is the major killer of nigeria's untapped forestry .. houses would be cheaper, transport cheaper cos of diversification, most peeps wld just buy large lands invest in agriculture and also build a home on the farm.. but insecurity has made a few states choked up in terms of accommodation&welfare while leaving the fertile states fallow and uninhabited due to insecurity..
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Dshocker(m): 11:16am On Apr 02, 2023
LajaLaba:
Cos u are ignorant

Say what ever you want, i can never eat duck meat...
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Antibettings: 11:35pm On Apr 02, 2023
PAWG:

They sells duck in market... But mostly live and the frozen own is not common

Duck is expensive cause of it traditional uses

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by LagBae(f): 9:59am On Apr 03, 2023
Olugids:

Ibadan.

Do you know anyone who rears ducks in Lagos?
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by NaijaPropagato: 7:10am On Apr 07, 2023
I farm ducks. They sell ducks in many markets in Lagos and Rivers State. You can check online farm sites to buy them, the market or ask around for [color=#000099][/color] duck farmers to get starter ducks. It is more expensive than chicken. It is sweeter. You can sell live, roast or fry and sell yourself or supply restaurants or companies or market it directly to customers. You can buy a large shallow basin in the market 2k to 3k or several and fill with water for your ducks to dip in and they will be fine. Yes, they eat bitter leaf, paw paw, water melon, fruits and alot of leaves. They can eat the shaft of corn, garri and worms. Hygiene is important for them. Change their water everyday and don't let their food go bad especially for the young ones. Their most fragile period is when they are young but after that their survival rate is high. To get them to produce more eggs, you need to increase their protein intake by giving them moringa leaves, fish head or crayfish or left over protein or grounded up bones. They can lay up to 25 eggs per cycle but that depends on how God wants to bless you and I believe they are ready to reproduce again after 3 months of giving birth.
You should start with adults and not children because they need their mothers to help them at the early stage. It is better to start with one adult male and one adult female. The male can be aggressive and as your farm grows, it is better to have a higher female to male ratio. Don't sell your females for business but sell the males because you don't need that many males to grow a farm. The males can cause more stress managing as they are territorial.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by steel5800(m): 6:15pm On Apr 07, 2023
KanesHost:

The demand is huge and it's mostly used for sacrifices or fetish purposes. Very few people buy it for consumption.

Pls if one does duck farming on a fairly large scale, is there readily available market for say 100 to 150 ducks weekly?
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by KanesHost: 6:30am On Apr 08, 2023
steel5800:

Pls if one does duck farming on a fairly large scale, is there readily available market for say 100 to 150 ducks weekly?

In the town where I live, you can't find ducks to buy at the market. They are booked well in advance. That's to tell you how scarce they are. So, the answer is yes, there is a readily available market.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by steel5800(m): 12:39pm On Apr 09, 2023
KanesHost:

In the town where I live, you can't find ducks to buy at the market. They are booked well in advance. That's to tell you how scarce they are. So, the answer is yes, there is a readily available market.

Thank you very much for your response.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by mistarsam(m): 6:57pm On Apr 09, 2023
KanesHost:

Location?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Vegetable Garden Is Under Attack: Help / Meet Zainab Eze, Student Who Owns 7 Acres Of Cassava Farm (Photos) / 100 Acres for sale at Alabata , Abeokuta , Ogun State N250k /Acres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.