Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Why Africans Are Religious - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Africans Are Religious (13196 Views)

Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? / Global Study Shows Many Scientists Are Religious,dispellling Conflict As Myth / Why Africans Are Religious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Africans Are Religious by MrWhy1(m): 6:59pm On Sep 19, 2011
The Jews their religion but they do not let it rule their everyday life. They are well versed in philosophy and psychology. Many of them are even Atheists. They are pragmatic in their approach to life and things in general.

But an many Africans are blinded by religion. "God dey". There was this documentary I saw on Aljazeera about Africans that travel through the desert with hopes of crossing to Europe. When the interviewer asked them of the task ahead. They said "God dey" without considering the prons and cons. That is why you see many of them dying on the high seas and in the desert. This is why we don't invent things because we too much believe in the power of the gods/God, rather than in our mental ability to think, imagine and create.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by shollymata(m): 7:12pm On Sep 19, 2011
@Blue Diva: Whoever you are, where ever you are, you are blessed. Our God is not a jerk but the most High. I agree with the writer to a large extent but i do not share the part THAT RELIGION is to blame for our woes, rather I'll blame the lack of it. To start with, how truthful are we as a people to the different religions we profess? Our leaders cart away huge sums of money and go to church the next sunday without any remorse. Our religious leaders gallivant the world on private jets (and collect moneys from whoever regardless of the source) while members wallow in abject poverty. Those that are benevolent enough to assist, see it as an opportunity to take undue advantage of the assisted. Our youths are on the internet perpetrating all sorts of nefarious acts, yet they'll lead the prayer calls every Friday. They halt all evil activities during the fasting period (means they know what is right) and resume the very next day after. So many examples to give about our untruthfulness to the religion we profess, and that brings me back to the article and my humble submission. I strongly agree that people need to start being accountable whether political leaders, religious leaders or even parents and youths but in a country where morals count for NOTHING, we would be far worse off had their been no religion.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 19, 2011
I read the OP's article and i would love to call foul on it. Bogus nonsense.

The writer failed to indicate the number 1 reason Africans are religious - poverty. period.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 7:20pm On Sep 19, 2011
frosbel:

Let me drag you back to reality, we are talking about Israel here and the positive contribution of Jews , many of them devout.

If you so hate GOD , go and live in Russia or North Korea and enjoy the madness.

After all these coutries are full to the brim with your foolish atheist brothers ,  grin.

Contributions of Isreal as in whatwhat have devout jews invented in the last decade?, or devout christians or Muslims, please, give me a break.All the "devout" religous people in the world have given us is endless strife and slaughter everywhere, and their unending intolerance for each other grin

You need to get a grip on reality,pal.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by MrWhy1(m): 7:27pm On Sep 19, 2011
To be spiritual is one thing and to be religious is another thing entirely.

Africans used to be spiritual. we have forgotten to be spiritual but blinded by IMPORTED SLAVE MASTERS religions.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

Contributions of Isreal as in whatwhat have devout jews invented in the last decade?, or devout christians or Muslims, please, give me a break.All the "devout" religous people in the world have given us is endless strife and slaughter everywhere, and their unending intolerance for each other grin

You need to get a grip on reality,pal.

Sometimes there is no need responding to clearly uninformed posters such as this.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by umechuma: 7:32pm On Sep 19, 2011
davidylan:

I read the OP's article and i would love to call foul on it. Bogus nonsense.

The writer failed to indicate the number 1 reason Africans are religious - poverty. period.
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]I completely agree with you.Poverty is the number reason Africans are religious[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by umechuma: 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2011
I completely agree with you.Poverty is the number reason why Africans are religious
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 19, 2011
@Blue Diva: Whoever you are, where ever you are, you are blessed. Our God is not a jerk but the most High. I agree with the writer to a large extent but i do not share the part THAT RELIGION is to blame for our woes, rather I'll blame the lack of it. To start with, how truthful are we as a people to the different religions we profess? Our leaders cart away huge sums of money and go to church the next sunday without any remorse. Our religious leaders gallivant the world on private jets (and collect moneys from whoever regardless of the source) while members wallow in abject poverty. Those that are benevolent enough to assist, see it as an opportunity to take undue advantage of the assisted. Our youths are on the internet perpetrating all sorts of nefarious acts, yet they'll lead the prayer calls every Friday. They halt all evil activities during the fasting period (means they know what is right) and resume the very next day after. So many examples to give about our untruthfulness to the religion we profess, and that brings me back to the article and my humble submission. I strongly agree that people need to start being accountable whether political leaders, religious leaders or even parents and youths but in a country where morals count for NOTHING, we would be far worse off had their been no religion.

Thank u.
We share the same views.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by fredostika(m): 7:57pm On Sep 19, 2011
The human mind is an imperfect and cannot impress man.

The Anglo-sax-ions (whites), apply reasoning to their every day life. The art of thinking and reasoning came from the greeks.
But reasoning shouldn't be a Greek thing, it should be universal. A parent should not beat their children because they didnt go to church or mosque. As someone said, people should be allowed to think for themselves.

Even Jesus would not be impressed by some christians.

I also agree with the person that said that religious leaders cart away with huge sums of money instead of given it to the poor.

Haven said that, come to think  of it, even the whites are mugus. Why is it that they do  not see our unclothedness. They hardly criticize africans for thier misguided aproach to life.
Why?
Simple, It is because they too are naked. This means that they have thier own psycological imbalance.  There are some misguided things that we do that they appreciate.
For example, a african woman curles her hair or perms it to look like a white womans hair.(as if they the whites are our Gods) But the whites dont see it that way. Instead they look at that (african) woman as a god. Like beyoncee. That is the problem you all see in africans but you never clear your eyes to see it in the whites.

Therefore, the human mind (of both africans and caucasians) is imperfect and cannot impress man.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 7:59pm On Sep 19, 2011
davidylan:

Sometimes there is no need responding to clearly uninformed posters such as this.

You're a mindless nitwit, did you even read the quote I was responding too, or you just glanced at mine and all the little ants in your thick head decided there was going to be a revolution grin
Piss off.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

You're a mindless nitwit, did you even read the quote I was responding too, or you just glanced at mine and all the little ants in your thick head decided there was going to be a revolution grin
Piss off.

you were mindlessly responding to a valid quote from frosbel. If you think all religion has given you is strife and intolerance then you may as well move over to Russia or North korea . . . they've got all your fellow atheist brothers.

When you have no idea what devout jews have invented in the last decade then i'm wont to consider you another misinformed noise-making nitwit. But of course . . . ad hominems is the last refuge of the brainless.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by EvilBrain1(m): 8:04pm On Sep 19, 2011
umechuma:

I completely agree with you.Poverty is the number reason why Africans are religious

It's not that simple. Poverty makes people religious, but religion also breeds poverty. The two are closely related, where you find one, you find the other.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 19, 2011
Evil Brain:

It's not that simple. Poverty makes people religious, but religion also breeds poverty. The two are closely related, where you find one, you find the other.

absolutely untrue. Africa was in poverty long long before the white man and arabs brought their religion to us (surprisingly they have always been richer!). What religion is responsible for the crushing poverty in north korea?

The amount of uninformed nonsense that passes for comments here is incredulous.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by CHIMSKY(m): 8:10pm On Sep 19, 2011
Hate to admit it but the poster is right.Africans hide behind religion.Have u ever been in Lagos on a Sunday morning or Kano on Friday?There is a church on virtually every street.What of Fridays in Northern Nigeria.Socio-economic life usually grinds to a standstill during Jumaat prayers.
Yet immediately we leave the church/mosque/shrine,the first thing we do is go out to steal/kill,lie,commit adultery etc.
The west are more advanced because they believe that if things must be done its up to them,not God.We believe in charms,amulets,Imams,Pastors,Babalawos.Bokas,Dibias etc but conveniently forget that nothing works unless you do.
Now; that line wasnt taken from any of our holy books ,that is plain common sense.
I marvel at how much money poor people who obviously are hungry at home are willing to give out just because some pastor promises them a breakthrough in the coming week.Nobody asks what exactly it will take to execute a contract but everybody wants to win it.Isnt it amazing how come nations who dont even acknowledge  the existence of God are so advanced while Africa which clings tight to religion continues to wallow in backwardness and poverty?.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 8:13pm On Sep 19, 2011
davidylan:

you were mindlessly responding to a valid quote from frosbel. If you think all religion has given you is strife and intolerance then you may as well move over to Russia or North korea . . . they've got all your fellow atheist brothers.

When you have no idea what devout jews have invented in the last decade then i'm wont to consider you another misinformed noise-making nitwit. But of course . . . ad hominems is the last refuge of the brainless.

Actually dolt  grin most of the population in the most advanced nations have increasing population of less devout religous devotees, this does not mean that they are "athiests", Mr TURD.Japan,most of Europe and increasing parts of Asia and latin America.

Clearly you don't understand nuances that exist in discussions such as these.So why don't you zip  it and perhaps go beat yourself off, somewhere else. grin
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by mrmayor(m): 8:22pm On Sep 19, 2011
Subscribing,
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

Actually dolt  grin most of the population in the most advanced nations have increasing population of less devout religous devotees, this does not mean that they are "athiests", Mr TURD.Japan,most of Europe and increasing parts of Asia and latin America.

Clearly you don't understand nuances that exist in discussions such as these.So why don't you zip  it and perhaps go beat yourself off, somewhere else. grin

nonsensical idiocy.

1. why have you consistently tried to ignore the references to russia and north korea? I guess it doesnt square with your biased talking points right?
2. It is quite true that most advanced nations have increasing populations of less devout religious devotees, but these same nations were way more advanced than we were at a time when they had a large population of highly devout religious devotees.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by EvilBrain1(m): 8:26pm On Sep 19, 2011
davidylan:

absolutely untrue. Africa was in poverty long long before the white man and arabs brought their religion to us (surprisingly they have always been richer!). What religion is responsible for the crushing poverty in north korea?

The amount of uninformed nonsense that passes for comments here is incredulous.

Hilarious! This guy actually thinks there was no religion in Africa before the white man came. Words fail me.

kabukabu:

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Arguing with davidylan is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retar.ded!
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 8:32pm On Sep 19, 2011
davidylan:

nonsensical idiocy.

1. why have you consistently tried to ignore the references to russia and north korea? I guess it doesnt square with your biased talking points right?
2. It is quite true that most advanced nations have increasing populations of less devout religious devotees, but these same nations were way more advanced than we were at a time when they had a large population of highly devout religious devotees.

I'm done , lol @"nonsensical idiocy"
Instead of arguing with ya grin, I'm going to donate some money to the United Nations Fund for the Mentally Handicapped on your behalf. grin
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 19, 2011
Evil Brain:

Hilarious, this guy actually thinks there was no religion in Africa before the white man came. Words fail me.

Pathetic. that wasnt my thought process at all.
Going by the OP's article, it is clear that his idea of "religion" is either christianity or islam. Well the white man and arabs were far more advanced than us at a time when they had this same religion that misinformed id[i]i[/i]ots like you claim breeds poverty with us. We were still in poverty long before the white man's religion came to us so what was our fundamental problem? It certainly wasnt religion.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by buzugee(m): 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2011
i see i am going to have to kick some ballistics up in here. what you people need to understand is that we as a black people are going through what we are going through because we are black. us black people are behind enemy lines. we are under siege. the only thing keeping us afloat is the few pious black people still praying and interceding on our behalf. listen, we are in a world controlled and run by diabolic fallen angels and we, black people, the original people, are the reminder to the fallen angels of the scorn he has for yahweh. we are the constant reminders of the lords creation. remember we were made in his image and the fallen angels hate his image. other 'races' of people have mutated away from that original image when the land mass gondwanaland split apart and drifted into extreme climes and these peoples features had to adapt to the climes and their melanocytes atrophied somewhat and stopped producing melanin etc etc. these other races are far removed from the image of the original man. our looks are a constant source of irritant to beelzebub. so seeing as he controls this world, he has made it his mission to destroy us and make our existence a living hell. he has occupied the minds of those who dont remind him of yahweh and is using them all against us to destroys us (racism, colonialism, slavery, etc etc ). folks we are under siege. nothing we do short of getting our protection from the bigger force (yahweh) will save us. we are behind enemy lines and all other races are the pawns used against us. i guess what i am trying to say is that religion is not what is messing up the black man, religion is what is keeping us from being wiped out completely of the planet. 'religion' being a constant dialogue with yahweh and submission to his will. those few religious people believe it or not are the ones that are between our state of affairs now and being completely destitute and re-enslaved and turned into farm animals. of course we have some white people on our side too. the ones who have refused to let beelzebub use their minds by becoming themselves followers of yahweh. its a hard slug yall. we behind enemy lines dawg. this is a war zone. do you have your bullet proof jacket on ?
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

I'm done , lol @"nonsensical idiocy"
Instead of arguing with ya grin, I'm going to donate some money to the United Nations Fund for the Mentally Handicapped on your behalf. grin

I guess that's your way of saying . . . i have no idea what this topic is about. Its ok though, too many id[i]i[/i]ots posting on what they have no idea about.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by cgift(m): 8:37pm On Sep 19, 2011
But what is this rivalry all about? Can't you guys keep a clean slate. Arguments do not necessarily have to degenerate into vulgar languages. na wa o. You guys should grow up. Let us face the issue at hand please. I am very interested in this topic.

buzugee:

i see i am going to have to kick some ballistics up in here. what you people need to understand is that we as a black people are going through what we are going through because we are black. us black people are behind enemy lines. we are under siege. the only thing keeping us afloat is the few pious black people still praying and interceding on our behalf. listen, we are in a world controlled and run by diabolic fallen angels and we, black people, the original people, are the reminder to the fallen angels of the scorn he has for yahweh. we are the constant reminders of the lords creation. remember we were made in his image and the fallen angels hate his image. other 'races' of people have mutated away from that original image when the land mass gondwanaland split apart and drifted into extreme climes and these peoples features had to adapt to the climes and their melanocytes atrophied somewhat and stopped producing melanin etc etc. these other races are far removed from the image of the original man. our looks are a constant source of irritant to beelzebub. so seeing as he controls this world, he has made it his mission to destroy us and make our existence a living hell. he has occupied the minds of those who dont remind him of yahweh and is using them all against us to destroys us (racism, colonialism, slavery, etc etc ). folks we are under siege. nothing we do short of getting our protection from the bigger force (yahweh) will save us. we are behind enemy lines and all other races are the pawns used against us. i guess what i am trying to say is that religion is not what is messing up the black man, religion is what is keeping us from being wiped out completely of the planet. 'religion' being a constant dialogue with yahweh and submission to his will. those few religious people believe it or not are the ones that are between our state of affairs now and being completely destitute and re-enslaved and turned into farm animals. of course we have some white people on our side too. the ones who have refused to let beelzebub use their minds by becoming themselves followers of yahweh. its a hard slug yall. we behind enemy lines dawg. this is a war zone. do you have your bullet proof jacket on ?

Did you just communicate in Swahili ?
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 8:38pm On Sep 19, 2011
buzugee:

uh oh, guess area boys are not too fond of , Paragraphs grin grin grin
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 8:40pm On Sep 19, 2011
davidylan:

I guess that's your way of saying . . . i have no idea what this topic is about. Its ok though, too many id[i]i[/i]ots posting on what they have no idea about.

No its my way of saying, proofread your silly posts before putting them up, birdbrain. grin
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by buzugee(m): 8:42pm On Sep 19, 2011
cgift:

But what is this rivalry all about? Can't you guys keep a clean slate. Arguments do not necessarily have to degenerate into vulgar languages. na wa o. You guys should grow up. Let us face the issue at hand please. I am very interested in this topic.

Did you just communicate in Swahili ?

the black man is under heavy siege as a spite from beelzebub to yahweh. he messes with us to spite the creator. we, the original man, remind him of his arch rival, yahweh. thats why he uses other races as pawns to destroy us. nothing we do will ever be successful so long as we are under our own will. hence the state of all black people all over the world. we aint gone make it economically in this lifetime but we can make it spiritually individually. and no i did not just speak swahili  cheesy
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by God2man(m): 8:44pm On Sep 19, 2011
Is it really religion? What are we talking about here? It makes no sense to base all our ploblems on religion. Somebody stole Government money, the money that belong to millions of people, and this man that stole was expected to lead by good examples. Let us reason together, the heart of man is wicked, desperately wicked, who can know it? Whether white or black, we are all human, we tend to satisfy our selfish interest first before others, but when people begin to go to church, they learn about love,unselfisness, caring, respect,equality and so on. I put it to you today that, you will one day have a problem and that you will not have any option left, than for you to pray to God to help you out. Milions of people all over the praying to God for solution to their problems that are beyond them are not fools. Ah! May you not witness the other side of life. That is when you will know that religion is not bad at all, but rather the place of succour for true christian. (Infact christianity is not a religion, but the only way to get to God) God2man. God bless you.Is it really religion? What are we talking about here? It makes no sense to base all our ploblems on religion. Somebody stole Government money, the money that belong to millions of people, and this man that stole was expected to lead by good examples. Let us reason together, the heart of man is wicked, desperately wicked, who can know it? Whether white or black, we are all human, we tend to satisfy our selfish interest first before others, but when people begin to go to church, they learn about love,unselfisness, caring, respect,equality and so on. I put it to you today that, you will one day have a problem and that you will not have any option left, than for you to pray to God to help you out. Milions of people all over the praying to God for solution to their problems that are beyond them are not fools. Ah! May you not witness the other side of life. That is when you will know that religion is not bad at all, but rather the place of succour for true christian. (Infact christianity is not a religion, but the only way to get to God) God2man. God bless you.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by buzugee(m): 8:45pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

paragraphs aint going to help the plight of the black man so I dont indulge in it.   cheesy
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by kabukabu(m): 8:46pm On Sep 19, 2011
buzugee:

the black man is under heavy siege as a spite from beelzebub to yahweh. he messes with us to spite the creator. we, the original man, remind him of his arch rival, yahweh. thats why he uses other races as pawns to destroy us. nothing we do will ever be successful so long as we are under our own will. hence the state of all black people all over the world. we aint gone make it economically in this lifetime but we can make it spiritually individually. and no i did not just speak swahili  cheesy

Wow, you need to get laid, seriously. grin
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by cgift(m): 8:49pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

Its apparent its second nature to you to use derogatroy words on people. na u sabi

But i think the guy makes some sense - i could draw this portion out of his block of letters  where he said " i guess what i am trying to say is that religion is not what is messing up the black man, religion is what is keeping us from being wiped out completely of the planet. "

We still need religion (in te broader sense of it) to keep hope alive, for the inspiration, and the feeling of absolute possibilities and " limitlessness". Religion gives the black man hope, and the most pathetic condition to have as a homosapien, is to be hopeless or forlorn

buzugee:

You must have been reading Pastor Ahimolowo's book on the "Man of Colour" I guess. Me i dont believe all that story of melanin bla bla bla.I only believe we are where we are because we have allowed selfishness, lack of self control, greed, and lack of brotherly love and avarice to becloud our judgement.

Thumbs up Godman.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by buzugee(m): 8:52pm On Sep 19, 2011
kabukabu:

Wow, you need to get laid, seriously. grin
I dont defile my flesh with that. but back in my unenlightened days i have been known to be a tom cat  grin grin papa was a rolling stone back in the day. now i am a one woman man. like my boy fiddy cent said 'i gotta make it to heaven, for going through hell'   cheesy cheesy this atlanta gangbanger lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rccg Sunday School Manual, Sunday 7th May,2017 / TB Joshua Wins Yoruba Man Of The Year 2015 / Do You Believe In Spiritual Spouses And intimate Demons?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.