Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Why Africans Are Religious - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Africans Are Religious (13197 Views)

Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? / Global Study Shows Many Scientists Are Religious,dispellling Conflict As Myth / Why Africans Are Religious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 20, 2011
vedaxcool:

No dumb bunny, what has your atheism contributed to you or your family, avoiding the question only shows the low intellectual levels associated with atheism, MEDIOCRE

Secular is not the same as Atheist! Nigeria is a secular country. The ex Russia was an atheist country!
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by vedaxcool(m): 3:35pm On Sep 20, 2011
mazaje:

It has opened my eyes to the farce and delusion that is religion. . . . . .Pls stop talking about intellectualism because there is non to be associated with you or your deluded religion that was formed out of the ignorance and plagiarism methods of the ancient arabs. . . . .

LOl! the world most ignorant man claims to have his eyes opened, Talk is cheap! Now read the above the only contribution atheism has made to him is eye opening, asked the deluded godless misfit what contribution it has made, his rep[ly lacking substance and intellectual touch, shows what atheism is, the path for the lazy and MEDIOCRES who has no use for their brain. Till you can explain what contribution atheism has made, i might have to place u under administartion, you are not fit enough to run your life.

michelin89:

Secular is not the same as Atheist! Nigeria is a secular country. The ex Russia was an atheist country!

IS this another mediocre? where did I write they are the same, why don't you direct your question to mazaje who thinks secularity and atheism are the same. this atheist are dulll
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:02pm On Sep 20, 2011
death to islam and christianity. AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION FOR NIGERIA. cool
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by mazaje(m): 5:00pm On Sep 20, 2011
vedaxcool:

LOl! the world most ignorant man claims to have his eyes opened, Talk is cheap! Now read the above the only contribution atheism has made to him is eye opening, asked the deluded godless misfit what contribution it has made, his rep[ly lacking substance and intellectual touch, shows what atheism is, the path for the lazy and MEDIOCRES who has no use for their brain. Till you can explain what contribution atheism has made, i might have to place u under administartion, you are not fit enough to run your life.

I  was the first to ask you a simple question, I asked you how your deluded religion has helped your country, and you came about blabbing how atheistism has helped me?. . Its a fact that most believers tend not to question anything with regards to their religion no matter how crazy, illogical and untrue it sound and are quite willing to let others do their thinking for them most of the time or think along some crazy doctrinal lines. People just accept ancient myths,stories and lies hook line and sinker.  Most believers also rely on faith and religion to provide emotional support when life becomes difficult for them instead of taking responsibility for their actions they waste time blaming or giving credits to imaginary Gods and demons for their fortunes or misfortunes. . . . .

IS this another mediocre? where did I write they are the same, why don't you direct your question to mazaje who thinks secularity and atheism are the same. this atheist are dulll

Its obvious that you can't read because if you do you will see that i clearly said that most western developed nations are secular and moving away from religion(with high number of atheist and agnostics among their populations). . . .Never equated secularism with atheism. . . . .
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by mazaje(m): 5:02pm On Sep 20, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

death to islam and christianity. AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION FOR NIGERIA. cool

How have African traditional religions helped Africa? . . . .
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by vedaxcool(m): 5:20pm On Sep 20, 2011
mazaje:

I  was the first to ask you a simple question, I asked you how your deluded religion has helped your country, and you came about blabbing how atheistism has helped me?. . Its a fact that most believers tend not to question anything with regards to their religion no matter how crazy, illogical and untrue it sound and are quite willing to let others do their thinking for them most of the time or think along some crazy doctrinal lines. People just accept ancient myths,stories and lies hook line and sinker.  Most believers also rely on faith and religion to provide emotional support when life becomes difficult for them instead of taking responsibility for their actions they waste time blaming or giving credits to imaginary Gods and demons for their fortunes or misfortunes. . . . .

Mediocre, first to ask? i doff my hat at the level of your intellectuality, you still keep showing the failure atheism is, rather than address the issue which clearly is not whether religious people do not question their faith, your prefer low intellectual forms of engagement, something most atheist are well adapted to, When you engage people try being rational for a change it will help you open your eyes to the truth. But as long as you keep being dogmatic and fanatical, only interested in stating your poorly thought view, then non can help you.

mazaje:

Its obvious that you can't read because if you do you will see that i clearly said that most western developed nations are secular and moving away from religion(with high number of atheist and agnostics among their populations). . . .Never equated secularism with atheism. . . . .

i wonder why you cited secular nations as a proof of how atheism has contributed to human development, these where your words Look around you, the most developed nations are the nations that have dropped religion aside and are secular(moving towards non belief), that is a fact. . . . if you are to mediocre to even know what you were saying, then you deserve pity, i always pity you every time I engage you, I wish i could help you nurture your senses back to normality . . . no insults intended. and I do apologise if you take any of my statement to be insultive.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by mazaje(m): 5:44pm On Sep 20, 2011
vedaxcool:

Mediocre, first to ask? i doff my hat at the level of your intellectuality, you still keep showing the failure atheism is, rather than address the issue which clearly is not whether religious people do not question their faith, your prefer low intellectual forms of engagement, something most atheist are well adapted to, When you engage people try being rational for a change it will help you open your eyes to the truth. But as long as you keep being dogmatic and fanatical, only interested in stating your poorly thought view, then non can help you.

I asked you a very simple question, here it is again. . . .

mazaje:

Bla bla bla sheep. . . . .How has Islam helped Africa develop?. . . .

Instead of answering you stated that I should explain how atheism has helped me as a person. . .I will tell you how atheism has helped me as a person immediately you explain to me how Islam has helped africa to develop. . . .Remember I was the first person to ask you. . . .
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by ochukoccna: 5:53pm On Sep 20, 2011
@ post, it's a free world and you can choose whatever you want to believe as long as it isn't a burden unto society and humanity e.g Boko Haram [militant Islam] or the Crusades.
I agree that many Africans are religious -zombies who take in everything without questioning- rather than faith which encourages you to ask questions.
i personally follow the teachings of Christ -note not Church- and find many things He said/and also in the bible fascinating.
Take heed how YOU hear, Many will come in my name deceiving many, Take heed that no man deceives YOU, Come and let us REASON together, etc
The bible encourages us to know God for ourselves not a man of God always dishing out what God wants but how many supposed Christians do this?
Very few
So who's too blame for that?

I've been an atheist, I've been an agnostic and I WISH I could disbelieve in having faith in God but I've tried and cant, seeing the complexity& intricate nature of life CANNOT JUST EVOLVE FROM NOTHINGNESS
Whether you agree or not, spirits surround us all& strange things happen
How do you rationally explain waking up to some invisible being pinning you down with your eyes open and no words been able to leave your lips despite all your efforts?
It is true that many an African leave their lives in the hands of their spiritual mentors
My faith however doesn't leave me dependent on 1 Daddy in the Lord, rather it strengthens me to discover& grow while at it
It hasn't diminished my quality of life but rather enhanced it
Yet we all have the free will to map our path in life with the knowledge that our choices have consequences
I'm on mine
Choose and stay on yours.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Rgp92: 8:18pm On Sep 20, 2011
Low IQ
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by cgift(m): 8:51pm On Sep 20, 2011
Rgp92:

Low IQ

So your own IQ is higher than every religious individual we have on this forum !

Clap for yourself.

If you taken time to read many arguments against this assumption you sure would have seen some sense in what was said on the essense of religion and how to use religion effectively.

Your IQ cannot be higher than all those self acclaimed billionaire businessmen and yet religious. So you might want to reconsider your stance or otherwise if you are ready for defence.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by vedaxcool(m): 9:15pm On Sep 20, 2011
mazaje:

I asked you a very simple question, here it is again. . . .

Instead of answering you stated that I should explain how atheism has helped me as a person. . .I will tell you how atheism has helped me as a person immediately you explain to me how Islam has helped africa to develop. . . .Remember I was the first person to ask you. . . .

Your condition truly deserves pity, you are a cheif liar here was where i asked you and your hord of atheist https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-762219.0.html#msg9172668 what atheism has done in your life, but since insults are the highest form of intellectual engangement you have to offer. . . You truly deserve pity . . .
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Judove: 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2011
Quote GLOBEXL:
" When my child was infant, I used to get an empty box, put a coin or something inside it, close the box and shake it so that she could know that something is inside the box. Then I would give her the box so that she could figure out how to get the coin out of the box. The mystery inside the box would keep her busy for a very long time while I engage in whatever serious work I needed to do. This reminds me of how foreigners have given us this package called religion to keep us very busy, while they go on to engage in more serious things. This package has kept us sooo busy that certain parts of our brain , responsible for healthy skeptism, are not being allowed to develope.
The MUMUFICATION of the primitive tribes of West Africa is complete "

I would have quoted this properly if this website was a bit more user-friendly. But anyways am a new member and you are the first person am quoting/replying cos you just made one of the best analogies I have read in a very long time. Nice one.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by fredostika(m): 12:42am On Sep 21, 2011
@ Availler,
You make sense. I had earlier said in this post that the whites have their own problem.
The poster really make sense and he really impressed me because the way nigerians are taking religion
But for me to be just and fair, I have come to believe that it is only a psychology attitude.
There is problem! real problem in Africa.
But is it being philosopical like tai solarin and Obafemi awolowo that will help the issue?
They both tried with their ideas and have failed and are both dead now without touching the lives of Nigerians with their atheistic beliefs and philosophical approach.(Although I subscribe to it).

ochukoccna:

Come and let us REASON together, etc

@ochukoccna, you said that you belief in the parts of the bible that make sense like come let us reason together.[b][/b]
True talk. That is what we need. A national dialogue to solve the countries problem.

ochukoccna:

Whether you agree or not, spirits surround us all& strange things happen

Again, true talk. It is quite unwise to be completely athiestic because one needs spiritual backup to excel. One needs to use

Anyone who is abusing Africans because they are religious is an enemy of africa. Maybe because you live in europe or USA. You are not irritated by suicidal behavour despite the "good living" condition of those places.
It is not only Africans that have a problem.
Yabbing Africa is not the solution to the psychological condition that they are in. I know your problem (talking about those that yab nigerians and africans in this NL); you dont want to look at the beauty in the way of life of our beloved africans. Yes, there is beauty in it. Appreciating the beauty in it will make you accept them. I am like fela in reasoning and thinking but I have accepted africa's way of life.
You can be religious and still live a prosperous envious life.

Men, I'm neutral.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Jenifa1: 1:12am On Sep 21, 2011
I think we need to first make the distinction between religiosity and spirituality. because there is a difference

For me the opposite of spirituality is materialism.
in many cultures, nuns, monks, priests and other spiritual leaders are supposed to abstain from worldly possessions and materials. they are supposed to live pure and simple.
This contrasts with with situation we have in Nigeria where our supposedly "spiritual" leaders and pastors are full of religion but devoid of spirituality!
Religious in the sense that you will find them in the church preaching and praying. but materialistic in the sense that you will find them more obsessed with the world (jets, expensive suits, jewelry, mansions, cars etc) than following Jesus' example.

That's why they say that attending church every sunday (religion) does not make one a true christian (spirituality). At least that's the way I see it.

Going back to the topic,
I don't necessarily think that Africans are more religious. Westerners are religious too. Their religion is Science!
The question should be which people are more spiritual and which are more materialistic.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by EfeEkarume(m): 12:07am On Sep 22, 2011
Why are Africans religious??! See C.R.K question.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by fredostika(m): 12:31am On Sep 22, 2011
@jenifa
Someone like me, I seek spirituality not religion. How can I get this please? can you help?
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2011
mazaje:

How have African traditional religions helped Africa?  . . . .

In the days of Paganism and African traditional Religions, we Africans were content, simple people. we had enough food, shelter, and a stable lifestyle. In times of need, we turned to our Gods for help and to our ancestors for guidance.

However, since arab man and white man come to Africa to destroy, enslave and enforce their religion on us, we have gone through many hardships. constant famines, hunger, poverty, new disease like AIDS, etc has destroy our people. we have lost much of the knowledge of our anccestors. our Gods are on the brink of abandoning us. since we accepted these foreign religions, we have become an accursed people. cchristians fight against muslims and everyone kills or tries to convert the traditionalist. look at Nigeria now. my own Haussa peoples are doing suicde blasts, etc. WHY FOR WHAT REASON WHY ARE WE READY TO GIVE OUR LIVES FOR SOME FOREIGN GOD WE HAVE NEITHER BELIEVED IN, NOR IS PART OF US??!!!!!

its time Nigeria unite. Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Igbo, etc. we unite, yet we follow our true beliefs. for in this lies, Nigeria progress.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by globexl: 8:14pm On Sep 22, 2011
"They put a knife on the things that held us together and things fell apart."
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by chowbaby: 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2011
globexl:

"They put a knife on the things that held us together and things fell apart."

Very interesting quote! very true!!
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Amujale(m): 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

In the good old days, we Africans were content, simple people. we had enough food, shelter, and a stable lifestyle. In times of need, we turned to our Gods for help and to our ancestors for guidance.

However, since arab man and white man come to Africa to destroy, enslave and enforce their religion on us, we have gone through many hardships. constant famines, hunger, poverty, new disease like AIDS, etc has destroy our people. we have lost much of the knowledge of our anccestors. our Gods are on the brink of abandoning us. since we accepted these foreign religions, we have become an accursed people. cchristians fight against muslims and everyone kills or tries to convert the traditionalist. look at Nigeria now. my own Haussa peoples are doing suicde blasts, etc. WHY FOR WHAT REASON WHY ARE WE READY TO GIVE OUR LIVES FOR SOME FOREIGN GOD WE HAVE NEITHER BELIEVED IN, NOR IS PART OF US??!!!!!

its time Nigeria unite. Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba, Igbo, etc. we unite, yet we follow our true beliefs. for in this lies, Nigeria progress.

Totally! and i would also like to add that the African school of thought rejects the notion and any sort of connection with the term "pagan". Its just like answering to "gentile" or "keferi"; its preposterous.

The dictionary definition of Pagansad1) Having, being, or relating to religious beliefs which are not part of the major religions: e.g "this was the site of the pagan temple to the sun"
(2)Irreligious
(3)A person without any religion [Church Latin paganus civilian (hence not a soldier of the christ)]
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Amujale(m): 2:14pm On Sep 25, 2011
manmustwac :

The mind of the African is still evolving. We are still stuck back in the dark ages and have .not reached the age of enlightenment yet. .

Its your mind that is still evolving & not reached the age of enlightenment. The African was responsible for everything that civilisation has to offer today; we kick started it all: Farming; banking, Writting, reading, Law, Government e.t.c
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by UyiIredia(m): 6:29pm On Sep 25, 2011
In my place (Edo) religion was used as a means to consolidate (by deification and superstition) the position of the Oba over his subjects (especially his chiefs). However, it seems people leave out the fact that: Colonialism is what created religious schism in contemporary Africa. Religion was not much of a problem till the Europeans came.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:59pm On Sep 25, 2011
Amujale:

Totally! and i would also like to add that the African school of thought rejects the notion and any sort of connection with the term "pagan". Its just like answering to "gentile" or "keferi"; its preposterous.

The dictionary definition of Pagansad1) Having, being, or relating to religious beliefs which are not part of the major religions: e.g "this was the site of the pagan temple to the sun"
(2)Irreligious
(3)A person without any religion [Church Latin paganus civilian (hence not a soldier of the christ)]

brother the damage is already done and[i] for now [/i] we have to stick to this term (Pagan). the xtians used it on us with negaive meaning.

the only way we can change it in the near future, is by calling for something like an[b] International Pagan Tribal Confederation [/b] or some sort like that and look for a new name to apply to us all.

but for now, we stick to the term, Pagan.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Amujale(m): 8:05pm On Sep 25, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

brother the damage is already done and[i] for now [/i] we have to stick to this term (Pagan). the xtians used it on us with negaive meaning.

the only way we can change it in the near future, is by calling for something like an[b] International Pagan Tribal Confederation [/b] or some sort like that and look for a new name to apply to us all.

but for now, we stick to the term, Pagan.

Dont let anybody try to define who you are; you define who you are.

I am not irreligious and thats the bottom line. Although i must say that i understand the point you make yet i still remain convinced that the only way to teach those ignorant pundicts that use this allegory is by enlightening them.

And by the way there are peolple that belong to pagan organisations, so i'm not saying that the term pagan does not exist, rather it is that its is being misused on people that have no affiliation to paganism.

One cannot be deemed a pagan just because he/she is not a muslim or xtian. You dont need to look for a new name, your school of thought is your school of thought. A spade is a spade and not an instrument for,
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2011
yes i see what you mean. cool

today, Pagans include all idolators, animists, polytheists, ALL old religions and tribal religions, shamans, etc.

btw there is nothing wrong with God Idolatory, as the xtian/muslims exaggerate. the idols just represent God in order to help us concentrate our prayers on, since its difficult for us naturally materialistic humans to pray to thin air.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by Amujale(m): 8:37pm On Sep 25, 2011
Exactly!
Moreover, i dont know about anyone else but i revere all the Orisha and direct  Worship towards the Almighty.
Re: Why Africans Are Religious by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2011
^Sir, i respect you for that. i mean it.

these accursed days, people with self-respect and a thirst for the truth are very rare and hard to find. sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rccg Sunday School Manual, Sunday 7th May,2017 / TB Joshua Wins Yoruba Man Of The Year 2015 / Do You Believe In Spiritual Spouses And intimate Demons?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.