Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,312 members, 7,811,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming (47774 Views)

Olisa Agbakoba: This Madness Of Chicago State University Must Stop Now! / Olisa Agbakoba Applauds President Tinubu On Floating The Naira And Subsidy / 11 Reasons Why Atiku Should Adopt Olisa Agbakoba As His Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by jaymichael(m): 9:14am On Mar 22, 2023
Sheggy13:

"Two-third of all states and the FCT" is not the same as "Two-third of all states and two-third of the FCT." Go figure.
You have settled the matter.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by honeyB2018: 9:15am On Mar 22, 2023
SenatePresdo:
This exactly what will throw this country into and avoidable Flow of blood.

If they dare to overlook the Constitution of FCT 25%.

We are patiently waiting for the court, the tension don over mature.

Na spark we dey wait for.

On behalf of other peace loving Nigerians, I reject and cancel that your expectations in Jesus name. The courts will make their pronouncements and go, just like they have done in the past, the nation will move on, the winner will celebrate, while the loser, will go home licking his wounds till the next 4yrs.
We want peace. Peace is priceless. You may not understand
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Blazebond(m): 9:15am On Mar 22, 2023
Obidients are capital letter FOOLS,I swear you people's level of reason is so low,all your education are useless,the constitution book is cheap and I believe that most of you can afford it and can also read so please go and read and stop exhibiting you daftness all the time.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by okuta007: 9:15am On Mar 22, 2023
Babaibe:

continue to fool around

ona say make we go court - we are already in court bro cool

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by SmartPolician: 9:16am On Mar 22, 2023
jaymichael:
Sometimes I just wonder, is Obi employing people as dumb as him? I was explaining him to include in his petition concrete evidence of rigging and electoral malpractices against his party ot at least voters suppression. Instead it is BAT and Shettima aren't qualified and their votes cancelled. No 25% in FCT. Such cheap and very watered petition.
Obi fit don collect money abeg. If you can trust a business man, you should trust a politician too
Last last is what happened is that Obi lost squarely. He lost the North, Southwest, North Central barely took south south.

If there was any dumb person in that presidential election, it is definitely the Druggie aka the skit maker with a leaking bladder.

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Kennydoc(m): 9:16am On Mar 22, 2023
SenatePresdo:
Its more like.

For you to pass WAEC, you must pass 5 subjects, and English language.

For you to win Presidential Election, you must have 25% in 24 states, and FCT.

The say that FCT is a state, is English not a subject??

We are impatiently waiting for them.

If they wanted to consider FCT as a state, they should have used the word 'including'.

4 Likes

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Breastfeed: 9:16am On Mar 22, 2023
Hmm, make dem sha do sharp run this case before swearing in.

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Skiming247(m): 9:19am On Mar 22, 2023
For you to win Presidential Election, you must have 25% in 24 states, AND FCT.
For you to win Presidential Election, you must have 25% in 24 states, INCLUDING FCT.

From your understanding of English language, carefully study the above 2 sentences.
Benwallt:
25% is not perculiar to FCT. It was included just as a state being a federal Capital Territory. Tinubu met the required percentage. He didn't get 25% in Anambra n some other places too
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by wegevv: 9:19am On Mar 22, 2023
Sheggy13:

Sincerely, I'm shocked at that FCT 25% nonsense. Are they saying if you win in all 36% states of the Federation and refuse to get 25% in FCT then you shouldn't be declared President. Where's the sense in that. I'm surprised the use of "and" conjunction and concord in basic English is seriously causing problems for so-called senior lawyers.

Somebody should please answer if these two scenarios are the same:
There are 24 boys and 12 girls in a class.
1. I need two-third of the boys and girls in this class for a task.
2. I need two-third of the boys and two-thirds of the girls, in this class for a task.

Then compare these scenarios with how that section in the constitution was written and see which one fit. There you have your answer.

In English language those 2 examples mean the exact same thing. It’s just because you’re used to some people speaking incorrectly lol. Go and ask an English teacher or an AI lol

If I say you need to “pass 2/3 of your projects and your exam” does that mean you can fail your exam and still pass?

It’s very clear but some of you don’t want to believe it. For me the only issue is whether the court has previously decided on this one way or another. Because in that case precedent will be used. Otherwise the English written in the constitution is clear

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Jogs1900: 9:19am On Mar 22, 2023
Parachoko:
We go meet at the Court

Una go explain how Abuja people get two Head
I swear someone like Kwankwaso will just relocate to the FCT concentrate his campaign there.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Bluffly: 9:21am On Mar 22, 2023
seunmsg:
There is no confusion anywhere. That someone filed a case in court doesn’t mean he’s right. The case is simply a waste of time and will be trashed. Section 299 of the Constitution is as clear as daylight.
https://saharareporters.com/2023/03/03/twenty-five-percent-votes-fct-requirement-election-office-president-nigeria-or-not
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Ogarexmas: 9:21am On Mar 22, 2023
Sheggy13:

Sincerely, I'm shocked at that FCT 25% nonsense. Are they saying if you win in all 36% states of the Federation and refuse to get 25% in FCT then you shouldn't be declared President. Where's the sense in that. I'm surprised the use of "and" conjunction and concord in basic English is seriously causing problems for so-called senior lawyers.

2. I need two-third of the boys and two-thirds of the girls, in this class for a task.

Then compare these scenarios with how that section in the constitution was written and see which one fit. There you have your answer.

The two examples you gave can be interpreted differently
24+12=36
2/3 of 36= 24

1. The two third of that class is 24 which simply means you can decide to pick 12 boys and 12 girls
2. Two third of the boys is 16 and two third of the girls is 8.

So you see the confusion here is that anyone can ascribe his or her own meaning to the constitution and he/she will be considered correct.

It is only the supreme court that can clarify that [/b]and [b] so we know if it's compulsory to have 25% in the fct.

Judging from the past presidential elections they have all secured 25% in the fct. Buhari secured it in 2015 and 2019 for your information.

2 Likes

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Fut9ure: 9:22am On Mar 22, 2023
Babaibe:

You will kill yourself tire in imo, abia, enugu, ebonyi and anambra. No Yoruba man, south-south man or hausa man will die for your foolishness and greediness. Soldier will kill you tire.Bittered people
You know the funny thing

Obi is a south south project

It was when the igbos saw the support from south south that was when they started supporting obi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by dustmalik: 9:22am On Mar 22, 2023
Allisgud:
If the people in Abuja the sit of power even the govt house can vote for obi,I wonder which SS and NC he wount win,as far as I am concern obi won in all SS and NC minus kogi and kwara
So he also won in Niger? When are you people going to stop being delusional?

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by buharitill2023: 9:24am On Mar 22, 2023
Sheggy13:

this is a perfect scenario,
At least idiotic pigs can understand this your layman explanation,
Because this people are too daft, even their bail and charge lawyers are more daft
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by CSTRR: 9:25am On Mar 22, 2023
Babaibe:

You will kill yourself tire in imo, abia, enugu, ebonyi and anambra. No Yoruba man, south-south man or hausa man will die for your foolishness and greediness. Soldier will kill you tire.Bittered people
You want soldiers to kill innocent Nigerians because of an old drug dealer that is there to plunder national resources.

You will not excel.

2 Likes

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Winters23: 9:25am On Mar 22, 2023
SmartPolician:
That FCT 25% NONSENSE sounds absurd to me. FCT is often separated from the 36 states because it's a territory, not a state (they cannot call it 37 states). However, as far as the election is concerned, FCT is like every other state in the country.

BTW, if Peter Obi is hoping to use that as basis to upturn Tinubu's sham victory, then I am afraid he has no case against the Druggie because it won't work.

stop disguising, empty your pocket let's see the content

grin

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Babaibe: 9:26am On Mar 22, 2023
Fut9ure:

You know the funny thing

Obi is a south south project

It was when the igbos saw the support from south south that was when they started supporting obi
Munmun, na south-south people tell you say Failure Obi be their project. Reasons he won all state in south-south with 99%
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by 00FFT00(m): 9:26am On Mar 22, 2023
SmartPolician:
That FCT 25% NONSENSE sounds absurd to me. FCT is often separated from the 36 states because it's a territory, not a state (they cannot call it 37 states). However, as far as the election is concerned, FCT is like every other state in the country.

BTW, if Peter Obi is hoping to use that as basis to upturn Tinubu's sham victory, then I am afraid he has no case against the Druggie because it won't work.

Happy to read you describe the electoral opprobrium as a sham victory. Sham victory it is. That said, are we to assume that provisions enshrined in our constitution are to be negated at will?.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Fut9ure: 9:27am On Mar 22, 2023
Babaibe:

Munmun, na south-south people tell you say im be there project. Reason Atiku won Akwa-Ibom, Tinubu won bayelsa and rivers. Even Wike rigged.Wike can not rig the entire state.

Those states were massively rigged

Don't worry you go cry later when court talk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by aviazuva: 9:28am On Mar 22, 2023
interesting days ahead.
Busy times for egg heads.
Technicalities shall play.
And they shall reteach us English language.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by kuma007(m): 9:28am On Mar 22, 2023
But Section 299 of the Constitution provides as follows:

"The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of
the States of the Federation"

The Court of Appeal (full panel) interpreted this provision in one of its decisions to mean that the FCT should be treated as the 37th state of the Federation. see also the case of[b] Fawehinmi v. Babangida (2003) 12 WRN 1; (2003) 3 NWLR (Pt. 808) page 604 where the Supreme Court endorsed the status of Federal Capital Territory as a “State” of the Federation[/b]
Kennydoc:

If they wanted to consider FCT as a state, they should have used the word a'including'.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Osolo1(m): 9:29am On Mar 22, 2023
Question is are the people living in fct a special class of citizens ? Why would they be considered seperately from other states ?
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by PrincessDiana: 9:29am On Mar 22, 2023
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/11/2023-we-are-preparing-for-possible-rerun-elections-inec/amp/

Excerpt

The INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Festus Okoye, gave the hint at a meeting with Bureau Chiefs/Editors of media organisations on Friday in Abuja.

November 19, 2022

2023: We are preparing for possible rerun elections – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it is already making plans and preparations for the conduct of a run-off presidential election, where no candidate meets the conditional requirements for declaring a winner from votes cast on Feb. 25, 2023.

The INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Festus Okoye, gave the hint at a meeting with Bureau Chiefs/Editors of media organisations on Friday in Abuja.

Okoye said that such plan had been the tradition of INEC for all elections conducted by the commission since the return of democracy since 1999.

He said that INEC was already planning to print double of the total number of ballot papers required for the first ballot, should in case there was rerun election.

He explained that the preparations were always made alone the first because the commission had just 21 days to conduct the rerun or run-off election.

The national commissioner said that before candidate could be declared winner of the presidential election, he or she must have the highest number of votes cast and secure a quarter of the votes cast in two-thirds of the states of the federation and the FCT.

He said where the threshold is not met by any candidate, the constitution stated that second election should be conducted for two of the candidates with highest and majority votes in line with the provisions of the constitution.

“Section 134 subsection 2 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which is the fundamental law of the land, makes it mandatory that before anyone is deemed to have been elected as a president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, that candidate must secure the highest number of votes cast at the election.

He must also secure a quarter of the votes cast in two-thirds of all the states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory. That is mandatory.

“Now, if no candidate secures this highest number of votes and the mandatory threshold, the Constitution says we must have a second election within a period of 21 days.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by PrincessDiana: 9:31am On Mar 22, 2023
I don't know how nobody has ever quoted INEC or Mr. Festus Okoye on this. He said this way back in November 2022.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by honeyB2018: 9:32am On Mar 22, 2023
SenatePresdo:
Its more like.

For you to pass WAEC, you must pass 5 subjects, and English language.

For you to win Presidential Election, you must have 25% in 24 states, and FCT.

The say that FCT is a state, is English not a subject??

The Supreme Court, have ruled on this matter before, stating that a candidate must have 2/3 of 36 states, including FCT.
But my worry is that I don't trust our judiciary system. Period

We are impatiently waiting for them.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Babaibe: 9:32am On Mar 22, 2023
Fut9ure:

Those states were massively rigged

Don't worry you go cry later when court talk
Who rigged am. The only place dem rig are imo, enugu, anambra, abia and ebonyi. How can Tinubu suffer much defeat in Akwa -Ibom with Godswill Okpabio. How can Tinubu suffer defeatin rivers with the support of Wike. The same thing in Bayelsa. They have good relationship with Tinubu. In Abia with Orji Uzor Kalu, no be 88% percent you rigged. Abeg u be pot calling kettle black. Infact, did you see rigging in Mr Failure Obi petition, because already he knew he rigged massively in the east.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by economania(m): 9:33am On Mar 22, 2023
Formularcr7:
I don't think 25% in FCT will be a must because in the future if we have 5 strong candidates, definitely none of them might have 25%. The 25% is only visible when we have few contestants
This is a strong argument to be looked into. Tuale "respect"
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by franchasofficia: 9:34am On Mar 22, 2023
Afonja2:
In other words, even if you win all the 36 states of the federation and you did not score 25% in FCT, you can not become a president?

You think the drafters of Nigeria constitution are so daft? What is the big deal about FCT that unless you win 25% of it's total votes, you can not be president?

Agbakoba and his ilks know they are just being mischievous. Senior Advocates of Nonsense
The Northern Military men that moved FCT from Lagos to Abuja and also handed you the fraudulent 1999 constitution wanted to retain power in the North by all means.

You senseless, criminality loving Nigerians ought to have challenged that part of the constitution that gave Abuja an exclusive right long time ago and ensure they removed it and change it to just 2/3rd of the Nigerian state.

But then, there is nothing like 2/3rd of 37 states cos it wont give you a whole number, which could be part of the reasons they gave Abuja an exclusive right.

This thing is clear, you must get 2/3rd of the 36 states and also get 2/3rd in FCT Abuja.

Like someone said, English language is to WAEC result what FCT is to Nigeria's Presidential election.

English is a subject like Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Biology, etc, but before you can get admission into any university in Nigeria, you must pass English even if you get A1 in 8 subjects.

So to the constitution writers abi drafters, FCT get 30 heads more than other states. We Nigerians from the South via our lawmakers ought to have challenged this section of the 1999 constitution and other sections long time ago.

It is only if the Election Tribunal Judges will be blatantly corrupt and bias that will make them not to upturn Tinubu's false mandate giving to him by corrupt Mahmoud Yakubu
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by WhizdomXX(m): 9:35am On Mar 22, 2023
Obinoscopy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzNchKUi6MU

The former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olisa Agbakoba, actually saw this political conundrum of 25% requirement coming and wrote to INEC seeking clarification and also seeking their understanding of Section 134 of the Constitution which states that the winner of a presidential election must get 25% of the casted votes in two-thirds of the States and the FCT. He wrote the letter in January, 2023.

The video above even shows Agbakoba asking the INEC spokesman, Festus Okoye, this same question and Festus dodged giving a response. He simply said the INEC Chairman will be the only one who can answer this question and the Chairman will only answer this question after the election is conducted. The video was before the election.

See the video above.
Boss you didn't reply my e-mail.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Dindondin(m): 9:35am On Mar 22, 2023
Teeroyzimma:
that's the rigged result, when will you guys have sense
Why he no petition Atiku?
Shey na Tinubu rig am for Atiku too?
You are the one to look for sense.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Babaibe: 9:36am On Mar 22, 2023
CSTRR:

You want soldiers to kill innocent Nigerians because of an old drug dealer that is there to plunder national resources.

You will not excel.
You and your family will not excel. You will live in pain and anguish for the rest of your life. A fool like you said blood will flow if Obi should lose in court, and for sure Obi has no case, so he will lose. So for blood to flow, it will be Igbos killing Igbos in the east. And any effort to disrupt the peace in Nigeria, soldiers will deal with you people massively. Is igbo only Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Godwin Hosea, Bullet Proof Manufacturer- Policeman Decorated With New Rank:Photo / Osun Re-run: Omisore Lists Condition For APC, PDP / Bianca Ojukwu Vs Ebelechukwu, Obiano's Wife: Who Slapped Who?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.