Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,570 members, 7,812,843 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming (47781 Views)

Olisa Agbakoba: This Madness Of Chicago State University Must Stop Now! / Olisa Agbakoba Applauds President Tinubu On Floating The Naira And Subsidy / 11 Reasons Why Atiku Should Adopt Olisa Agbakoba As His Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Sermwell(m): 11:15am On Mar 22, 2023
Afonja2:
In other words, even if you win all the 36 states of the federation and you did not score 25% in FCT, you can not become a president?

You think the drafters of Nigeria constitution are so daft? What is the big deal about FCT that unless you win 25% of it's total votes, you can not be president?

Agbakoba and his ilks know they are just being mischievous. Senior Advocates of Nonsense
...and you're not a lawyer ohh! grin
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Agadinaagwuofe: 11:17am On Mar 22, 2023
Afonja2:
In other words, even if you win all the 36 states of the federation and you did not score 25% in FCT, you can not become a president?

You think the drafters of Nigeria constitution are so daft? What is the big deal about FCT that unless you win 25% of it's total votes, you can not be president?

Agbakoba and his ilks know they are just being mischievous. Senior Advocates of Nonsense

I am only responding to the bolded and not making input whether it is correct or not. The Idea is FCT doesn't have "technical head of state" like Governors in other states. Since the President will automatically assume the "State Governor" of FCT, the drafters of the constitution made that clause to ensure you have a substantial support from your state constituent or mandate which is the FCT people. That is the explanation. whether it is right or wrong will be left for court to interpret.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by blacksam01: 11:18am On Mar 22, 2023
weyreypey:

Now this is how to write like a statesman. You have it in you bro. Don't lose it

because he said what u want to hear...i laff
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by bewla(m): 11:19am On Mar 22, 2023
FOLYKAZE:
INEC has declared the winner already so Festus Okoye was right with his response. Anyway the matter is in court already, we shall see to it if INEC decision is right or wrong
Any stupid judge give judgment way no good and he will have our mandate to buy back

Awo
Abiola
Ameed will get all this mandate

How many time have the business clain been defraud before
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by PointB: 11:19am On Mar 22, 2023
Jackson105:

Just shut up, misleading people with nonsense information, run-off? have you seen a presidential election re-run before?

Looks like you're an ignoramus.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Jackson105: 11:21am On Mar 22, 2023
PointB:

Looks like you're an ignoramus.

Sharap! And answer my question
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Toks2008(m): 11:22am On Mar 22, 2023
magzey:
So if I Win 100% in FCT and I come 10th in election iam good to be Nigerian president? This one na Mumu prayers, so far you win Election with over 28 state you got 25% Abuja clause is as good as useless grin grin grin

If you have nothing intelligent to say why not just read comments.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by puzzlegate(m): 11:22am On Mar 22, 2023
embarassed
skj1377:
With the way things are going Nigeria will resort to regional government or arnachy soonest. Let me add if Supreme court decides that 25% is needed in Abuja alone to become the president of Nigeria then what happened in Lagos will be a childsplay to what will happen to Ibo's and probably non indegines in Abuja during every presidential election. Obidients should better have a long term view of their position instead of this senseless desperation for Ibo after his election loss.
so if I make a statement and say to someone. " if you are coming to Nigeria , you must visit 5 cities AND Abuja." Is it correct to visit just 5 cities and claim that the added City doesn't count ? Are we insane in this country ?
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by wengerman: 11:25am On Mar 22, 2023
FOLYKAZE:
INEC has declared the winner already so Festus Okoye was right with his response. Anyway the matter is in court already, we shall see to it if INEC decision is right or wrong
. This was before the election sir. You can see that it was during preparation for the election.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by SenatePresdo(m): 11:27am On Mar 22, 2023
lanas:

@senatepresido. Pls I want everyone of us as true Nigerians to b truthful in sutuations like this. If we are to use WAEC requirements, it says 5 subjects including maths and English not 5subjects and English. Pls get ur facts right. More reason why universities considered those five subjects when calculating postjamb results. In this election case, constitution says all d 36 federation states and fct. It cannot add abuja with states cos its only territory without capital and governor. So invariably, abuja is part of all federating units under consideration. Making it 37 federating units. 2/3 of 37 is 24.7 states. Statistically, u can't approximate a tangible phenomenon like state, age, no of people etc hence, 25% spread in 24 terroritories to be considered out of 37 territories.

You know more than the SANs and the people that made the law?
I just relayed what the Judiciary said.

Go to court.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by SenatePresdo(m): 11:29am On Mar 22, 2023
lanas:

@senatepresido. Pls I want everyone of us as true Nigerians to b truthful in sutuations like this. If we are to use WAEC requirements, it says 5 subjects including maths and English not 5subjects and English. Pls get ur facts right. More reason why universities considered those five subjects when calculating postjamb results. In this election case, constitution says all d 36 federation states and fct. It cannot add abuja with states cos its only territory without capital and governor. So invariably, abuja is part of all federating units under consideration. Making it 37 federating units. 2/3 of 37 is 24.7 states. Statistically, u can't approximate a tangible phenomenon like state, age, no of people etc hence, 25% spread in 24 terroritories to be considered out of 37 territories.

They should have use the word, "including" and not "and".

24 states, including Abuja.
24 states, and Abuja.

Check the two phrases, if you can identify the difference, consider Yourself smart.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by tranxo(m): 11:30am On Mar 22, 2023
Stanweezy:
From what Festus Okoye said

It is left for INEC chairman to interpret that clause but if candidate needs more clarification he or she should go to court

Interesting days ahead
Abuja is the center of UNITY. Where all Nigerians can be found and live in peace, harmony.

If you cannot win in a community that can be said to be a mini Nigeria, you are not fit to oversee the affairs of the mega Nigeria.

It's that simple actually.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by SenatePresdo(m): 11:32am On Mar 22, 2023
honeyB2018:

On behalf of other peace loving Nigerians, I reject and cancel that your expectations in Jesus name. The courts will make their pronouncements and go, just like they have done in the past, the nation will move on, the winner will celebrate, while the loser, will go home licking his wounds till the next 4yrs.
We want peace. Peace is priceless. You may not understand

Only untampered Justice can bring peace.

When APC urchins were doing their own, did you call for peace? Did they listen to you?

What makes you think your opinion matters?

When it's time just stay indoors.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by SenatePresdo(m): 11:33am On Mar 22, 2023
buharitill2023:
if they don't add "AND"
What are they supposed to add to make it above 24 States

"Including"
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by puzzlegate(m): 11:33am On Mar 22, 2023
onegig:
We have a lot educated illiterates in the country.

Please list out all the states of the federation and capital. You expect the constitution to write Abia, Bauchi, Lagos.........and FCT when it in fact is just 36 States and FCT an English word and not conditional statement.

Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. If you have to win the Prime minister position you have to win the Majority in the 10 Provinces and the 3 territories. Does this mean if you don't win the majority in those 3 territories but you win the Majority in the total votes you aren't declared the winner?

Make una dey think for goodness sake. Focus these useless energy in something much more productive like changing the land use act and debating it. The law is an ass but this is actually very myopic that someone with a SAN would be bringing such up.
so are implying that please come with " three persons AND a Lady " is the same with come with "three persons including a Lady"..... Are we really ok in this country ?
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by SenatePresdo(m): 11:36am On Mar 22, 2023
Sheggy13:

"Two-third of all states and the FCT" is not the same as "Two-third of all states and two-third of the FCT." Go figure.

So what's the difference?

You used An Adjective twice in a sentence.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Faposky95: 11:41am On Mar 22, 2023
seunmsg:
There is no confusion anywhere. That someone filed a case in court doesn’t mean he’s right. The case is simply a waste of time and will be trashed. Section 299 of the Constitution is as clear as daylight.

Why are people still calling the morning, Evening, then...?!
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Landowner101(m): 11:42am On Mar 22, 2023
dustmalik:
Anytime I c ok me across this FCT 25% requirement, I just laugh. Tinubu got 25% in 30states. Do you think any court will disregard those states because of FCT?
dustmalik scored 8 credit in waec but failed english.Do you think any university will disregard those subject because of ordinary english.

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by torqque7(m): 11:50am On Mar 22, 2023
SmartPolician:
That FCT 25% NONSENSE sounds absurd to me. FCT is often separated from the 36 states because it's a territory, not a state (they cannot call it 37 states). However, as far as the election is concerned, FCT is like every other state in the country.

BTW, if Peter Obi is hoping to use that as basis to upturn Tinubu's sham victory, then I am afraid he has no case against the Druggie because it won't work.

It is clearly stated AND FCT ABUJA..if that wasn’t a requirement then it shouldn’t have been specifically stated..the reason for that is because FCT is the seat of power,it is the Capital of Nigeria so how can you be decleard winner when you couldn’t even get 25% in most relevant city in the country where the seat of power is?

You all can bend it any which way to suit your narrative but the truth is the TRUTH and 25% from the FCT Is MANDATORY to be decleard Commander in Chief.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 11:56am On Mar 22, 2023
seunmsg:
There is no confusion anywhere. That someone filed a case in court doesn’t mean he’s right. The case is simply a waste of time and will be trashed. Section 299 of the Constitution is as clear as daylight.

What are you feeling like?

What a legal practitioner asked INEC to clarify and which 20 lawyers saw fit to file in their case is what you're calling a waste of time?

You urchins are overrated.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by RealEzee(m): 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2023
seunH:
The best response I have ever heard, I wish it can enter FP
in the case of strong candidates the top 2 will do a rerun
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by RealEzee(m): 12:06pm On Mar 22, 2023
Landowner101:

dustmalik scored 8 credit in waec but failed english.Do you think any university will disregard those subject because of ordinary english.
yes they do ,alot don't get admission because they failed English ,this is what happens in our universities
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by ObaIgwe1: 12:14pm On Mar 22, 2023
Oskiki:

What is the big deal about English that you must pass it in WAEC to gain admission

The big deal about English is that whatever course you wanna learn will be taught in English Language, so if you cannot communicate in English then you cannot learn the course well, hence the demand for minimum credit in English.

Now tell me what make Nigerians in Abuja more Nigerian than the Nigerians in Bayelsa or Bunue or Ogun?

Imagine we have 2 candidates and one won 36 states and a candidate from Abuja won Abuja by 90%, so we will continue to have inconclusive election even if election was done 100 times. Can that be the real understanding of that part of the constitution?

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Toktee(m): 12:20pm On Mar 22, 2023
SmartPolician:
That FCT 25% NONSENSE sounds absurd to me. FCT is often separated from the 36 states because it's a territory, not a state (they cannot call it 37 states). However, as far as the election is concerned, FCT is like every other state in the country.

BTW, if Peter Obi is hoping to use that as basis to upturn Tinubu's sham victory, then I am afraid he has no case against the Druggie because it won't work.
So how is it 36 now ?
No body said 25% in fct state but rather in the fct.
You can argue that with the electoral law.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Katcall: 12:24pm On Mar 22, 2023
Okwyjesus:

I think that AND ABUJA is an error on the part of those that drafted the constitution. It could have been INCLUDING ABUJA. President don't need to win 25% in Abuja.

Now. Uncle T is a victim. The whole world will be watching with interest
its simple as abc. 25% in 24 states with/without the fct
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Emola12(m): 12:25pm On Mar 22, 2023
SenatePresdo:
Its more like.

For you to pass WAEC, you must pass 5 subjects, and English language.

For you to win Presidential Election, you must have 25% in 24 states, and FCT.

They say that FCT is a state, is English not a subject??

We are impatiently waiting for them.
any time dis my man comment like dis he dey always give me joy jesu Kristi n gbo walahitalahi

1 Like

Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by senatordave1(m): 12:27pm On Mar 22, 2023
Sheggy13:

Sincerely, I'm shocked at that FCT 25% nonsense. Are they saying if you win in all 36% states of the Federation and refuse to get 25% in FCT then you shouldn't be declared President. Where's the sense in that. I'm surprised the use of "and" conjunction and concord in basic English is seriously causing problems for so-called senior lawyers.

Somebody should please answer if these two scenarios are the same:
There are 24 boys and 12 girls in a class.
1. I need two-third of the boys and girls in this class for a task.
2. I need two-third of the boys and two-thirds of the girls, in this class for a task.

Then compare these scenarios with how that section in the constitution was written and see which one fit. There you have your answer.

Cc fergie001
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by senatordave1(m): 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

They have use layman language to explain this issue to you.

Our law state that for you to gain admission to the university, you must have credit in 5 subjects and English language.

Hence if you have 8 credits and fail English , you will be denied admission because English language was specifically mentioned as a condition that must be met before gaining admission.

In this case, FCT was specifically mentioned. A candidate has to get 25% in the FCT after getting 25% in 2/3 of the states of the Federation.

The reason for this is that the FCT has no Governor. Hence the President appoints a minister that act as the Governor of FCT.

Hence if the president does not get 25% in FCT, then he has no right to appoint the minister of FCT . In other words, such a person should not have been declared the president in the first place.

Guy,respect yourself.you dont have the moral right to front argument here
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Okwyjesus(m): 12:35pm On Mar 22, 2023
Katcall:
its simple as abc. 25% in 24 states with/without the fct

With or without?

Explain am confused
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Katcall: 12:47pm On Mar 22, 2023
Okwyjesus:

With or without?

Explain am confused
read again
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by yemex04(m): 12:50pm On Mar 22, 2023
SenatePresdo:

You know more than the SANs?

Interesting, I will be needing your legal advice and not seek for SANs.

Some SANS have equally made Opinions that align to that of the person you quoted & having common sense &understanding of the spirit of laws where there are confusions in the Letter of the Law make me agree with him as well. The Drafters of the Constitution would not have made the FCT or its people more important than other States in Nigeria especially for the purpose of elections,On the contrary,the intention is to upgrade it to a State during election in case an individual is not able to have the required Spread of 24 States,meaning if u have 25% in 23 States,you would be declared Winner if you have 25% in FCT..It is definitely not arrogate special Status.
Re: FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming by Electorate: 12:52pm On Mar 22, 2023
helinues:
Charge and bail lawyer

grin

The former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) is a charge and bail lawyer to you, Is your brain paining you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Sword Crossing At Captain Gana’s Wedding (photos) / "Ocean Has Destroyed Our Houses In Ilaje, Ondo, People Fleeing" - Man Cries / Abdulazeez Abubakar Malami Called To Bar (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.