Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? (7362 Views)

A Beautiful House Built With Mud (Photos) / Man Returns From Dubai To See The House Built With Money He Sent Home / These Houses In Ebute Metta Are Too Close To Each Other (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by larryUG(m): 5:31am On Mar 26, 2023
Make Dangote no see this your post o. Em fit trace you deal with you and your fam for bringing this to our knowledge. Just kidding grin, but truth is the type of clay used here isnt cheap too. It may be cheaper than cement, or not I dont know. But it is not like, you go just go get clay from ground and mix with water and start applying it. Enlighten me more please
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by GogetterMD(m): 5:39am On Mar 26, 2023
burp18:
standard bricks made from clay are a little more expensive the the ones made from cement. Except you want the local ones that gets washed away by rain after some years.
The art of making clay bricks is not entirely lost as some villages are still into this culture and build houses from baked clay bricks. And no, they do not get washed away by the rain. Baked clay is exceedingly strong, and also have the advantage of retaining coolness withing the house unlike concrete walls
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by YoungBlackRico(m): 6:08am On Mar 26, 2023
Don't know about the durability of the processed one. But the one I've seen always end up getting destroyed/washed up mostly by rain. You don't want your house to end up that way.

Then when you talk about the processed one, what is the cost compared to cement bricks on the long run? I'm sure you're not the first person to think about this.

2 Likes

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by babz11(m): 6:47am On Mar 26, 2023
Where are nairalnders civil engineer

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by babz11(m): 6:49am On Mar 26, 2023
The local one they build around me here, after building with clay, they plaster it with cement, I think that is economical compared to all cement

2 Likes

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by samwillyco1(m): 7:13am On Mar 26, 2023
Bullet proof house and always cold even in the hot afternoon
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Oshin56(m): 7:51am On Mar 26, 2023
GogetterMD:

The art of making clay bricks is not entirely lost as some villages are still into this culture and build houses from baked clay bricks. And no, they do not get washed away by the rain. Baked clay is exceedingly strong, and also have the advantage of retaining coolness withing the house unlike concrete walls
I knew of Benue state, they even used it to support there well instead of rim.
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by WantsandMore: 8:27am On Mar 26, 2023
Nigeria Abandoned Research & Development, I'm not even sure there's any allocation for such development in the Budget, even if there is, I'm not sure, it's put to judicious use, perhaps an entrepreneur or a pool of real estate startup can look into this.

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by alexzeko(m): 9:25am On Mar 26, 2023
We deal with Architectural Designs, Building construction, Building services consultancy, Facility Management and Project management.

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by OfficialP: 9:51am On Mar 26, 2023
my preference is rooms should be demarcated with plywoods, not blocks
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Vatod(m): 10:13am On Mar 26, 2023
Not every part of the country have clay! And to get processed clay is much more expensive than cement, you have to consider human labor too!
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by notttty(m): 10:36am On Mar 26, 2023
optionalY09:

I will like to work with you, we need to do a little research work to determine where we can find them in huger quantities and if there are durable
kogi and Abuja clay are very very different and better in making clay bricks this I know for sure because I mold blocks
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by EriMma1: 10:43am On Mar 26, 2023
Where will you get enough mud to build a house though?

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by oyatz(m): 11:34am On Mar 26, 2023
burp18:
standard bricks made from clay are a little more expensive the the ones made from cement. Except you want the local ones that gets washed away by rain after some years.

FALSE
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Emmanuella00(f): 11:57am On Mar 26, 2023
Nigerians love doing things that will be hard for them.
Take it or leave it.
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by ProphetM0hammad: 12:09pm On Mar 26, 2023
Napata77:

Why?

The "muds" you are referring to here are red bricks and they are more expensive than cement now

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by stanza(m): 12:26pm On Mar 26, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJJanssDu64

Truth be told, the cost of treating clay in modern times, makes cement cheaper.
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Elliotwaveforec: 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2023
I love this thread! I grew up in a mud house; my grandfather used to build mud houses.
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by thesicilian: 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2023
Because we have been programmed to believe that whatever the whites imported is superior

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Kaycee54321(m): 1:34pm On Mar 26, 2023
Nice thread.

Can anyone share rough estimate in % difference for houses built with cement compared to those built with mud?

I don't have experience in civil engineering. In my naïvety, I always thought mud houses were not just solid or durable enough.

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by folake4u(f): 1:42pm On Mar 26, 2023
There are still some clay houses standing strong in Benin. And they're so cool!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2023
Following thread... Finally there is a chance for me. So I go build house in this my lifetime cry Wonderful!

BTW those images on first page aren't bad. They are nice designs kiss

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by geez18(m): 3:16pm On Mar 26, 2023
By the time you're done with the production of your clay, you will understand why it's not a viable option hence its unpopularity.

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by geez18(m): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2023
oyatz:

FALSE

Please enlighten the house

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by etrange: 3:53pm On Mar 26, 2023
optionalY09:

Because it’s important for them to act rich than staying alive

Oga, who are "them"? Y'all always like to find some imaginary entities to blame or call out in all situations instead of contributing constructively. Did you build yours with mud? Were you planning on building your future house with mud before you saw this thread? Did your parents build thiers with mud?

OP, when you say mud houses, do you mean houses constructed with pure mud or houses constructed with clay/red bricks? If it is pure mud, then the reason cement is preferred is not far-fetched. Cement is definitely stronger. There's a limit to what mud can hold in terms of both structure and weather. They both age in the opposite direction; mud gets weaker while cement gets stronger. Kano and Benin walls are just walls, they don't support much. A good alternative would be to get the best of both worlds by using stucco coated clay/red bricks bound with cement. They're durable and unlike concrete bricks, they don't lose thier aesthetics over time. But then again, that's not necessarily cheaper than concrete bricks.

NB: I'm not into construction. I've only been involved in one.

1 Like

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 26, 2023
Napata77:

Why?

Nigerian politics. Dangote to continue to top rich list and our politicians growing fat.

The world has evolved; there are different technologies used in building houses these days all over the world, very cheap and eco friendly methods. Somehow Nigeria is not interested in new ways of doing anything, but I bet you, that wouldn't be the case if Dangote wasn't from the 'Born to Rule' tribe.
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by Orisha17: 4:22pm On Mar 26, 2023
Educative
If I had the funds na straight research
If it's natural and has been used in the past then it's obviously cheaper
I'm sure cement is used because of capitalism and money
And people saying clay is more expensive don't really know it's what they read

Africans should start developing their own and believing in themselves
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by 1Sharon(f): 7:04pm On Mar 26, 2023
I'm pretty sure "mud" alone can't be used to sustain and reinforce a house.

Architects in the house where are you?
Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by IslamIsIdiotic: 8:36pm On Mar 26, 2023
Actually, the use of cement in construction dates back to ancient times.

The oldest known cement building is the 12th-century underground cistern called the "Basilica Cistern" in Istanbul, Turkey. The cistern was built during the reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I and was used to store water for the Great Palace of Constantinople.

This structure is nearly a thousand years old and it is still in use to this day.

Napata77:
This modern mud house is smart and eco-friendly.

Not one single grain of cement was used in building this house.

Just clay.

https://www.onmanorama.com/lifestyle/decor/2022/07/19/modern-mud-house-tvpm-eco-friendly.html

Mud brick House

https://www.mymudbrick.com.au/

Mud House.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/before-and-after-wheatsheaf-mud-bricks-amazing-transformation/

So WHY do we waste money on expensive cement?

You cannot tell me cement buildings lasts longer than mud buildings. The Kano Wall is over 1,200 years old, as is the Benin wall, and they are still standing today!

You have guys sitting in the village moaning that they can't afford to build a house, citing the high cost of cement.

Yet they are surrounded by CLAY which they can use to erect these fabulous buildings virtually for free!

What is going on with us for goodness sakes in this country?

Re: These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? by ultimateprof: 4:41pm On Jul 07, 2023
I'm working hard to build my next house with mud. I love it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Making Of The "Anambra 7 Bedroom Castle" / Access Sameday Loan Between N5,000 To N100,000 From Pettycash.ng / 30-Room Hostel For Sale @Delta State University with pics.Price reduced to N40M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.