Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,818 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

My Lackluster Interview Story - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Lackluster Interview Story (10245 Views)

My Botched Interview Story / Job Hunt Lackluster"why You Haven't Got Called After Numerous Application"(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by BlackyOne: 12:48pm On Mar 27, 2023
[quote author=IyaTola post=122095351][/quote]

That is why employers have no respect for the employee, if they can keep you for a whole day to interview you for a job without proper scheduling and permission from you, how then do you expect them to respect your personal timing and schedule when you eventually get the job?

Some were told they'll be closing by 5pm but after getting the job they can't close till 7pm or whenever the boss allows.

Some were told that weekend is off, but they now work on weekends after getting the job, and all these without employee consent, benefits/ or overtime pay.

Value your time and your employers will respect your personal schedule.

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:49pm On Mar 27, 2023
BlackyOne:

That is why employers have no respect for the employee, if they can keep you for a whole day to interview you for a job without proper scheduling and permission from you, how then do you expect them to respect your personal timing and schedule when you eventually get the job?

Some were told they'll be closing by 5pm but after getting the job they can't close till 7pm or whenever the boss allows.

Some were told that weekend is off, but they now work on weekends after getting the job, and all these without employee consent, benefits/ or overtime pay.

Value your time and your employers will respect your personal schedule.
I have experienced this first hand, I left after two months

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by reservd(m): 12:53pm On Mar 27, 2023
I have had a similar experience where we were delayed for over three hours, I was able to beat the time despite coming from OTA to ikorodu. These HR and her team despite coming from ikeja delayed for that long yet didn't deem it fit to apologise, truly there was traffic but they just didn't regard us at all. People are just terrible in their nature, it's not simple to be taught or told to do

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by flexxyworld(m): 12:59pm On Mar 27, 2023
I will take a walk, sometimes employers are impressed when you know what you worth. if we created an appointment and i am there earlier, you owe me an obligation to keep your time or max an hour delay with apologies. Anything aside that, it shows the value system of the organisation and not about your impatient. you dont wanna work in such organisation believe me, those little details matter when deciding a career move please always pay attention.

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Mekharay007(m): 1:03pm On Mar 27, 2023
I once had an interview for a managerial role with Mikano company , omo I spent like 10hours there. Interview scheduled for 8am, I drove in at 7:34am.

We waited till 8,9,10,11,12 then by 1pm , my fellow interviewees started scouting for where to buy food and water.

Omo I was attended to around past 6pm although they apologized that the receptionist didn't tell them I was around.

After the interview I got a positive feedback but I just had to run for my life .

If they treat ppl that came for interview that way then how do they treat their own staff.

2 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:25pm On Mar 27, 2023
Odiegwu
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by dfrost: 1:32pm On Mar 27, 2023
skillip:
. There is nothing to hear, if an interviewer is running late or there is a delay somewhere, you are suppose to communicate that and the front desk will inform the people starting with an apology " I am sorry we are running late..." Such organisations DO NOT value time, forget about any BS they want to come up with.

I've been told 'no matter how silly an excuse or response is, listen first'.
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2023
LUAN1:
I had my first interview experience after 4yrs of graduating from school. I fail woefully. I didn't know what I answer, I Was ashamed of myself., I missed that job

What position did you apply for?
I could give you tips on how to prepare for another interview .
I got two job offer on my first job hunt but I give credit to God .
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by okanlanwon44879: 2:22pm On Mar 27, 2023
I won't waitI won't wait...
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Femich18(m): 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2023
I was once scheduled for a final interview with the CEO virtually.
The CEO kept us waiting ( HR and I) for over 1 hour. I exited the meeting and about 1 hour later
the HR called but i didnt pick the call when the CEO was ready meaning I could have been online waiting 2 hours for the CEO.
2 weeks later the HR called and told me they want to have the meeting. We arranged for it but I had even gotten another offer. We did the meeting but I rejected the offer in style by asking for a higher pay but the CEO was not able to meet my new expectation but he was able to increase it beyond my first asking price. I was told to think about what he can pay but within me even if he pay even more than my asking pay it's a No-go-area.
The meeting delays and exit then was a blessing in disguise
HR and CEOs need to keep to time too. The waiting time should be 1hour max

IblivinJesus:

What position did you apply for?
I could give you tips on how to prepare for another interview .
I got two job offer on my first job hunt but I give credit to God .

I won't mind you saying it here to help people. Information is key
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 27, 2023
Femich18:
I was once scheduled for a final interview with the CEO virtually.
The CEO kept us waiting ( HR and I) for over 1 hour. I exited the meeting and about 1 hour later
the HR called but i didnt pick the call when the CEO was ready meaning I could have been online waiting 2 hours for the CEO.
2 weeks later the HR called and told me they want to have the meeting. We arranged for it but I had even gotten another offer. We did the meeting but I rejected the offer in style by asking for a higher pay but the CEO was not able to meet my new expectation but he was able to increase it beyond my first asking price. I was told to think about what he can pay but within me even if he pay even more than my asking pay it's a No-go-area.
The meeting delays and exit then was a blessing in disguise
HR and CEOs need to keep to time too. The waiting time should be 1hour max

I won't mind you saying it here to help people. Information is key
That's why i asked the person what he or she applied for so i can give tips here on how to handle such situation to the best of my ability.
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 3:25pm On Mar 27, 2023
wink
skillip:
. Thank you. I remember back then we were recruiting for a C-suite level and it was delaying, intermittently I will go back and calm these people. After the interview one of them told my boss that she appreciated what I did because my boss gave me the feed back. These are just some basic interview tips.
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by jimcaddy(m): 3:36pm On Mar 27, 2023
Don't mind Nigerian employers. That's how they do. Especially if it's a one man business. They can be really annoying. You will wait for hours, endlessly hoping that they will get to your turn. I remember one I went for in January. After waiting for a long time, the job now ended up being a job where the resumption time is 4.30am. I was so annoyed that I left, I was thinking about the transport fare I wasted.

2 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 3:41pm On Mar 27, 2023
jimcaddy:
Don't mind Nigerian employers. That's how they do. Especially if it's a one man business. They can be really annoying. You will wait for hours, endlessly hoping that they will get to your turn. I remember one I went for in January. After waiting for a long time, the job now ended up being a job where the resumption time is 4.30am. I was so annoyed that I left, I was thinking about the transport fare I wasted.
shocked
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by BlackyOne: 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2023
IyaTola:
I have experienced this first hand, I left after two months

And you add the work stress to Lagos traffic.... E go too choke

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by anthonyuncle(m): 6:03pm On Mar 27, 2023
after graduation, a course mate informed me of a walk in interview in a hotel (I was seriously searching for hotel jobs that period).
we got to the hotel some minutes after 8am, hoping that the interview will begin by 9am. we met quite a number of persons there and some persons came afterwards.
we were about 60 persons that came for the interview and were all waiting by the bar outside.

9am
10am.
11am.
12noon.
no show.
no interviewer, nobody even came to pacify us.

I was already mad but this my guy was telling me to calm down.
he said that he knows a guy that works there.
he repeatedly called his guy on phone but the guy wasn't taking his calls.

by 1pm, two persons(one guy in mid 30s and another lady in her mid 20s)who we could tell were staff of the hotel came to inform us that the interview will start soon. they gave us a sheet of paper to write our names.
no apologies, nothing.

2pm - no show.
it was around 3pm, that they started calling us in.
it got to my turn few minutes to 4pm.
I entered the room to meet the same persons that gave us the sheet of paper.
immediately I sat down, the guy complained that I took my hand off the hand rest of the chair. I replied that I was trying to adjust myself to relax.
this bros said I should have said sorry instead of defending myself. he asked me to leave.(me that was already mad because of their delay) I was close to the door when I heard him say "I asked you to leave and you couldn't even beg? ". I looked at him, smiled,flung the door wide open, and left.

I met my guy ouside.
on our way home, his friend called him.(while on the call),he told him that we came for an interview in that hotel. the friend complained that he should've informed him before coming. that he stopped working in that hotel some weeks ago. that the manager is a very proud guy, who graduated with 1st class and thus treats everyone like sh!t. he said the manager talks to everybody without respect, looks down on people, and deducts money from employees for insignificant reasons. from his description, it was obvious the manager was the guy in his mid 30s that interviewed us. this guy pleaded with us not to accept their offer cause working there is hell on earth.

we left with Joy in our hearts without looking forward to be employed there.

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by sameoldguy: 11:30pm On Mar 27, 2023
People are really suffering in Nigeria, but no pity cos most of them are still the same people that still voted for same old evil government.

Many people shouting go back to Anambra are jobless and would still not get any good job.

When the Oga at the top does not respect the law/court and his minions are disrespectful too, how do you think anybody would take any Nigerians serious.

Nobody can do these companies anything and that’s the truth.

The youths agreed to flush out these old people out of politics, but some people prefer status quo.

In the next couple of years, we would still be reading stories like this and it won’t change anytime soon.

Make Una enjoy
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 3:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
cheesy
BlackyOne:

And you add the work stress to Lagos traffic.... E go too choke

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cornerstone Insurance Is Recruiting (bancassurance). / Abuja Npower Successful Applicant Let's Get Give And Update Here / Interview Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.