Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% (2003 Views)

My Take: JAMB Need To Do Better With The QR Code On Their Result Slip. / Massive Opportunity In The UK - All Nigerian Teachers Should Read This Now!!! / 10 Tips To Score High In 2018 JAMB UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 7:48am On Mar 28, 2023
*I am of the opinion that a bill should raised for consideration by the national assembly that teachers should take the JAMB UTME yearly as a renewal subject test. A teacher that can't get up to 75% in is subject should not teach that subject for that year, rather he should be assigned on training to a better performing teacher to teach her through that year while he will be assistant to the better performing teacher.

*Teachers should take examination they are training students for, it is not sufficient to know educational theorems, the subject matter mastery is more important, from my observation many teachers can't pass examination of subjects they have been teaching for years most especially government teachers, private school teachers are not left out but the funny thing is that for the private school many of the school owners know their teachers are not competent.

*I suggest JAMB should be the subject mastery exam for teachers because to me it is the only exam in Nigeria without brine or malpractice

*If I am a Mathematics and computer teacher.
I can enroll
Mathematics, computer, English and physics.

*My score for math most be up to 75
My score for computer most be up to 75
Other subjects can be left undone.

*Teachers that can't get upto 75 in his subject will serve as assistant with a pay slash for the period, which will be added to better performing teachers doing the training.

*Teachers promotion will be based on number of consecutive successes in obtaining up to 75%, the performance of his students to ratio with the education appreciation and acceptance ratio of the community.

*Perfect score teachers will be rewarded,
*Perfect score students can be given part-time job in teaching while they take their university education this will help to reduce shortage of teachers.

What do you think about this bill?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by JASONjnr(m): 8:28am On Mar 28, 2023
Absolutely trash.

Every teach is assigned to teach with a specific scheme of work. And not to cover the entire area of the subject.

Teachers are professionals and they are to for promotion exams which is harder than JAMB.

10 Likes

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 8:38am On Mar 28, 2023
JASONjnr:
Absolutely trash.

Every teach is assigned to teach with a specific scheme of work. And not to cover the entire area of the subject.

Teachers are professionals and they are to for promotion exams which is harder than JAMB.
Those promotional exam test educational theorems, not mastery of subject matter,
You mean as a mathematics teacher it is fine for me to know trigonometry not geometry because it is not in my scheme of work for the term?
You can be a professional teacher but not a professional physics teacher,
From you explanation I think we should only allow a professional subject teacher teach a particular subject.

How can a professional mathematics teacher say it is not compulsory for him to master the entire mathematics curriculum?
And you expect students to master it.

If the person call himself a teacher what if a student use a different approach to solve the questions how will you know if he his correct, what of if a student come to you for assistant, you will tell him this is not in your scheme of work.
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by JASONjnr(m): 8:50am On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

Those promotional exam test educational theorems, not mastery of subject matter,
You mean as a mathematics teacher it is find for me to know trigonometry not geometry because it is not in my scheme of work for the term?
You can be a professional teacher but not a professional physics teacher,
From you explanation I think we should only allow a professional subject teacher teach a particular subject.

How can a professional mathematics teacher say it is not compulsory for him to master the entire mathematics curriculum?
And you expect students to master it.

If the person call himself a teacher what if a student use a different approach to solve the questions how will you know if he his correct, what of if a student come to you for assistant, you will tell him the first not in your scheme of work.
Hmmmm

Even as an engineer, if you come I to teaching, your engineering knowledge will fade out to only accommodate the subjects you're teaching because that is your area of specialization and focus to bring the best to the kids.

If as a maths teacher you get Introduced to a new scheme, you will have to master it along the line as you keep teaching the new scheme.

The most important part of teaching is that, a teacher stays focused to their area of specialization and give the utmost best for the student to learn.

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:02am On Mar 28, 2023
JASONjnr:

Even as an engineer, if you come I to teaching, your engineering knowledge will fade out to only accommodate the subjects you're teaching because that is your area of specialization and focus to bring the best to the kids.

If as a maths teacher you get Introduced to a new scheme, you will have to master it along the line as you keep teaching the new scheme.

The most important part of teaching is that, a teacher stays focused to their area of specialization and give the utmost best for the student to learn.
If some of big secondary school they give you past exam questions to test your subject mastery, you mean they don't know what they are doing?
The subject test exam that teachers are giving in some internationally recognize secondary school you mean, they should have let " let my people go" because you have a certificate? Let everyone learn mastery on the job
If the engineer's plan is to come and learn in my institution, he should enroll for a program and do the learning before he come to teach others.
Have you seen some international job advertisement for Mathematics teachers in US and teacher of mathematics in the UK.
they will tell you you should have a mastery of the mathematics curriculum if it is K 12 ETC
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by JASONjnr(m): 9:11am On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

If some of big secondary school they give you past exam questions to test your subject mastery, you mean they don't know what they are doing?
The subject test exam that teachers are giving in some internationally recognize secondary school you mean, they should have let " let my people go" because you have a certificate? Let everyone learn mastery on the job
If the engineer's plan is to come and learn in my institution, he should enroll for a program and do the learning before he come to teach others.
Have you seen some international job advertisement for Mathematics teachers in US and teacher of mathematics in the UK.
they will tell you you should have a mastery of the mathematics curriculum if it is K 12 ETC

You're not having this concept clear.

When you're applying for a teaching job, you will be tested on the subject you're applying for.

But when you're employed, you're asked to take a certain class.

You can be taking SS1 for instance for 10yrs. While mastering only the scheme for SS1 and also researching to improve on the schemes.

If you're given SS2 to take after 10yrs, you will need to master the scheme overtime while teaching the subject. This doesn't mean that you don't know the topics for SS2 but because you have centered so much of your knowledge on the topics of SS1...

If you're to write any professional exams, you will need to relearn all what youve learn before.

You don't just expect a teacher to know everything because he/she is a teacher.

You don't just expect lecturers who lectures Quantum physics to be able to lecture Nuclear or Plasma physics... Because they're physics lecturers and should be able to pass all 0hysocs exams.

6 Likes

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Prinzton(m): 9:21am On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:
*I am of the opinion that a bill should raised for consideration by the national assembly that teachers should take the JAMB UTME yearly as a renewal subject test. A teacher that can't get up to 75% in is subject should not teach that subject for that year, rather he should be assigned on training to a better performing teacher to teach her through that year while he will be assistant to the better performing teacher.

*Teachers should take examination they are training students for, it is not sufficient to know educational theorems, the subject matter mastery is more important, from my observation many teachers can't pass examination of subjects they have been teaching for years most especially government teachers, private school teachers are not left out but the funny thing is that for the private school many of the school owners know their teachers are not competent.

*I suggest JAMB should be the subject mastery exam for teachers because to me it is the only exam in Nigeria without brine or malpractice

I can enroll

*Teachers that can't get upto 75 in his subject will serve as assistant with a pay slash for the period, which will be added to better performing teachers doing the training.

*Teachers promotion will be based on number of consecutive successes in obtaining up to 75%, the performance of his students to ratio with the education appreciation and acceptance ratio of the community.

*Perfect score students can be given part-time job in teaching while they take their university education this will help to reduce shortage of teachers.

Do you know why there is an average of 2 to 3 lecturers per core engineering courses?
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:39am On Mar 28, 2023
Prinzton:

Do you know why there is an average of 2 to 3 lecturers per core engineering courses?

Yes I do. I is because many a times it is closer to their specialization, or may have done masters closer to the course or doctorate degree on that aspect.
To reduce the work load sometimes.

In mathematics education
Do teachers specialize to be SS1 teachers only?
Do teachers specialize to be geometry teacher only?
You don't specialize at basic level, at basic level you are suppose to know a very large percentage of the subject and master it. How will you improve on a curriculum if you don't Know how one topic relate to better understanding of the other?
You need to know the basics which is the O level then you can identify patterns when they come your way.
And for remainder subject test exams for secondary and primary school are prepared but sections not clases.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by vvvbobby205(m): 9:42am On Mar 28, 2023
I guess doctors too will have to take yearly professional exams....
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 9:47am On Mar 28, 2023
JASONjnr:

When you're applying for a teaching job, you will be tested on the subject you're applying for.

You can be taking SS1 for instance for 10yrs. While mastering only the scheme for SS1 and also researching to improve on the schemes.

If you're given SS2 to take after 10yrs, you will need to master the scheme overtime while teaching the subject. This doesn't mean that you don't know the topics for SS2 but because you have centered so much of your knowledge on the topics of SS1...

If you're to write any professional exams, you will need to relearn all what youve learn before.

You don't just expect lecturers who lectures Quantum physics to be able to lecture Nuclear or Plasma physics... Because they're physics lecturers and should be able to pass all 0hysocs exams.
Just as we do have entry qualification and roles in secondary school university also have qualification of a lecturer to take a role. If you don't meet the criteria you should not apply because you can't teach the course or perform whatever task required.

In simple term
University lecturers specialize in various areas to qualify to teach some areas.
But secondary school teachers don't need subsubject specialization
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 10:03am On Mar 28, 2023
vvvbobby205:
I guess doctors to will he take yearly professional exam....
In some countries they do after ten years,
And many other countries they attend workshop and other stuff year and present their certificate and performance.
Besides doctors do not teach children to take exam we teachers do.
IN the US an SAT teacher show his competency by taking the SAT exam regularly.
I won't have had much problem with the normal but, the so called professional exam teachers take are mainly teaching theorems, with little on no subject mastery content

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by DeTribalisedCit: 10:37am On Mar 28, 2023
The score in an examination is not a perfect test of knowledge. There are many factors that can influence one's performance in an examination.

The same applies to learners too.

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by ibtommy(m): 10:46am On Mar 28, 2023
JASONjnr:
Absolutely trash.

For your information, Mr Man, promotion examinations are simpler than UTME? In fact, those promotion exams are very cheap compared to UTME. Get that into your brain now or "go to court".
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 11:04am On Mar 28, 2023
DeTribalisedCit:
The score in an examination is not a perfect test of knowledge. There are many factors that can influence one's performance in an examination.

The same applies to learners too.
Examination is not a perfect test.
But if you think it is not good, develop a better test
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by ghettochild(m): 11:17am On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

I can enroll

This is the problem we have in Africa.
Hence the reason the people who didn't graduate with 1st class or 2nd class upper are the ones controlling the economy n employing those first class n second class graduates.

3 Likes

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by vvvbobby205(m): 1:11pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

And many other countries they attend workshop and other stuff year and present their certificate and performance.
IN the US an SAT teacher show is competency by taking the a SAT exam regularly.
I won't have had much problem with the normal but, the so called professional exam teachers take are mainly teaching theorems, with little on no subject mastery content

Nice one. Ur point is valid cool
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Karlifate: 1:15pm On Mar 28, 2023
A profession that people see as an alternative for survival, in a crumbling economy...

You want to pursue them away 🤣🤣

Going by your logic, get ready for mass exodus of teachers. kiss

3 Likes

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by emorse(m): 1:16pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

I can enroll

It's one thing to be sound in a subject. It's another thing to be able to teach it. If you like get 100% for UTME as a teacher, if you no fit teach, you no fit teach.

2 Likes

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by thesicilian: 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
vvvbobby205:
I guess doctors too will have to take yearly professional exams....

Don't mind him. He's high on some cheap weed
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 28, 2023
Are u aware that some teachers are teaching the subjects they never studied in school?

The idea is not bad. But it shouldn't be a yearly thing. Maybe once in 3 years.

All the same, it's still a stupid idea.

1 Like

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2023
emorse:

It's one thing to be sound in a subject. It's another thing to be able to teach it. If you like get 100% for UTME as a teacher, if you no fit teach, you no fit teach.

It is better we go for those that know it then train them how to teach,
Than go for those that don't know it.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 3:13pm On Mar 28, 2023
Miracood2:
Are u aware that some teachers are teaching the subjects they never studied in school?

The idea is not bad. But it shouldn't be a yearly thing. Maybe once in 3 years.

All the same, it's still a stupid idea.
I am aware of that but who suffers when they teacher teachers subject they can't pass
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 3:15pm On Mar 28, 2023
Karlifate:
A profession that people see as an alternative for survival, in a crumbling economy...

You want to pursue them away 🤣🤣

Going by your logic, get ready for mass exodus of teachers. kiss
Therw are people to take over those jobs,many people working in factories how have this knowledge will willingly accept a Government teaching job.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by dfos2k(m): 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2023
What about a bill to ensure that teachers are retrained, appraised and promoted regularly? I've taught for ten years without an increment or promotion. Please keep quiet you don't know what teachers are going through

3 Likes

Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Mrshape: 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
dfos2k:
What about a bill to ensure that teachers are retrained, appraised and promoted regularly? I've taught for ten years without an increment or promotion. Please keep quiet you don't know what teachers are going through
If you read it well the promotion is available and renumeration is available, no be who progress them go increase he money,
And room for training is also there.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Solsix(m): 3:51pm On Mar 28, 2023
Everybody go just open thread dey wetin no make sense. Exam ko, jamb nii
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Karlifate: 4:20pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

Therw are people to take over those jobs,many people working in factories how have this knowledge will willingly accept a Government teaching job.

With the current realities in Nigeria, the replacement will only last for a short time, before they port to another place.

Don't deceive yourself.
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by Karlifate: 4:23pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mrshape:

IN the US an SAT teacher show is competency by taking the a SAT exam regularly.

In simple matters, you people are quick to cite the US of A & other First World 🌎 Countries, in comparison to an underdeveloped country.

Also, you fail to put into consideration, the Governmental policies & the standard of living of the populace, before arriving at your conclusion. angry
Re: A Bill That Senior Secondary Teachers Should Take JAMB UTME Each Year, With 75% by sisisioge: 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2023
JASONjnr:

I think I agree with this submission. It makes perfect sense. While it is good to have broad knowledge of your subject matter, it is essential for you to have a mastery of the one you teach per time.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nysc Age Limit 2023 Updated By Senate For Next Batch / The Course Most Nigerians Study. / Lautech Postume Card Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.