Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. (14427 Views)

Was The Interviewee's Answer Wrong? (photo) / Check Out The Response To A Question An Interviewee Said During An Interview / The Question An Interviewee Asked Her Interviwer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Pojomojo: 11:25am On Mar 28, 2023
Dear Interviewee,

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF.

You know what they say about first impressions? You cannot afford to blow it at the very beginning.

Note that it is possible to be considered for a position in the first 5 minutes of the #interview if you play your cards right by answering the simple yet dreaded question “Tell me about yourself/let us get to meet you/briefly introduce yourself”

There are two main reasons why a recruiter asks the question “TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF”

1. To know if they can work with you (behavioral and #culture fit)
2. To assess if you have the necessary KSA for the position (#competency fit)

Your answer to this has the potential to set the course for the rest of the interview

Here’s a sample approach to answering this ⬇️

Step 1️⃣. Start with your Name + status ( I am xxxx a certified professional in xxxxxx with over 3 years of working experience across xxxx sectors)

Step 2️⃣. Next, express Your passion/motivation (e.g I am passionate about xxxx)

Step 3️⃣. Brief run down on Experience/Academics (My passion has guided my career path with a first degree in xxxx and a master's in xxxxx. I have also held several positions including xxxxxxxx)

Step 4️⃣. Achievements (through my career, I have been able to support organizations in xxxxxx, and some of my achievements include xxxxxx)

Step 5️⃣ Hard/soft skills/personality type (I have developed my skills in xxxxx and I am effective at xxxx. I am the Bleep type of person)

Step 6️⃣ proposal (I am confident that if I am considered for this position you’d be impressed by my xxxxx or I will effectively support the dept/org in improving xxxxx process)

Step 7️⃣ Thank you

Why is this strategy effective?

1️⃣ The interview becomes more interactive because the interviewer can now probe from your response rather than focus on the preplanned questions. This puts you in charge
2️⃣ The recruiter will have something to relate from - from your person, motivation, passion, experience, and goals. There would be a connection with the recruiter
3️⃣ If done well you would have already scored high and impressed the audience which may cover up for your other downsides.

However, Make sure to 👇

1. Keep your answer between 2-4 mins MAX
2. Take deep breaths and maintain pauses after power points
3. Watch body language to know when you are losing the audience
4. Do not cram a response, let the recruiter meet the real you.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice. Record yourself, listen, and make adjustments.

I hope this helps. You can comment your sample answers. I will review it and let you know what I think.

I wish you success in your coming interviews

62 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by OboOlora(f): 12:51pm On Mar 28, 2023
1st 2 comment!
I will comment later, let me quickly rush to my bank and see if that Sango Ota bigot friend of GRV has credited my account for this feat.
In other news, I am still looking for this guy’s contact details

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by xristos(m): 12:52pm On Mar 28, 2023
This no news.. i thought u wanted to share a real interview transcript sef undecided

Anything that can be easily found on google shouldn't be on fp

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by ninety5: 12:52pm On Mar 28, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by MKPhoenix: 12:53pm On Mar 28, 2023
Helpful

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by KanwuliaExtra: 12:53pm On Mar 28, 2023
DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL OF FAMILY LIFE. . .They don't care to know.
You are not there for how many wives and children you have.
Your nationality is not important.

Stick to why you are there and sell your talent. . . Simple.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Karlifate: 12:54pm On Mar 28, 2023
LMAO!
grin grin
😂😂😂

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Omenapounds: 12:55pm On Mar 28, 2023
Wahala for who still dey find white collar job for this era...

10 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by benebaby77: 12:56pm On Mar 28, 2023
To express clarity of thoughts, reiterate your name and tell them your achievements tailoring to the job role....

Telling recruiter all those information listed by OP above would make him/her lose track of information about you which is to align aptitude with the job skills.

If recruiter wants to know your motivation, he will surely ask for it.

9 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by southking92(m): 12:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
Yea,. Dis is great
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Nakuza(m): 12:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
Appreciation Op
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by vincenteger: 1:02pm On Mar 28, 2023
Thank you
But na where we see job for the country
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by MorolayoVictor(m): 1:03pm On Mar 28, 2023
I'm a born again Christian.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Heroicvic(m): 1:03pm On Mar 28, 2023
I am that I am😂

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by muhyeenisce(m): 1:04pm On Mar 28, 2023
People still de go for job interview?? Hummmm nawa o

3 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Ndleabilli: 1:04pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hello everyone, I recently relocated to Lagos and I'm actively seeking job opportunities as a HND holder in Metallurgical Engineering with completed NYSC and skills in website design, PHP programming, and graphics design. I am open to any work opportunities and Please contact me.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Larrysung(m): 1:04pm On Mar 28, 2023
Thumbs up!

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Gagare1(m): 1:05pm On Mar 28, 2023
Just say, "Introduction, I am a musician my name is Azados"

Dem no born dem well make dem no give you job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Uniquekriss(m): 1:06pm On Mar 28, 2023
This was copied from LinkedIn
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Gagare1(m): 1:06pm On Mar 28, 2023
Heroicvic:
I am that I am😂

Dey play with thunder. Just dey play. You hear ko?

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by flexxyworld(m): 1:06pm On Mar 28, 2023
I usually start with my name and my last educational qualifications/cert.
Proper information on my previous role and my achievements
what i am bringing to the table/linking my previous experience to the current role focusing on the JD in the ad.
then, closing charge which is closing plea to get me on board.

Please be brief and detailed as possible, the more information you provide here might be used to nail you.

and always stay positive and bold regardless..

I once attended an interview, after everything. The interviewer said, you know why i like you? you were saying plenty rubbish but i love your confidence. I am moving you to the next stage. Ensure you are better prepared and id be rooting for you. The rest like there say its history.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Karlifate: 1:07pm On Mar 28, 2023
MorolayoVictor:
I'm a born again Christian.

Heroicvic:
I am that I am😂

4 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Authoreety: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2023
More response bikonu
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Skillsnigeria: 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by seeker121(m): 1:14pm On Mar 28, 2023
Na my guy for secondary school he is from Ado Odo and bear Kamal lawal by name why u dey look for his contact...
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by thesicilian: 1:14pm On Mar 28, 2023
If you claim to have read my CV why are you still asking me to tell you about myself

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by Isabi4lov: 1:23pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nice one and you shouldn't spend too much time on it
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by GboyegaD(m): 1:24pm On Mar 28, 2023
I am XYZ, I have worked at ABC where I did PQR and the results are EFG. I helped achieve JKL and I plan on bringing the skills and knowledge I have acquired over the years to your organization in the capacity of TUV.

I possess knowledge of GGG which is used in EFG and I intend using it to KKK. For both paragraphs, relate it to how it suits what the organization is looking for

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by DUKEOFIBADAN: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
I still don’t understand why some people prefer to work a job they don’t like just to pay bills than starting their own businesses. The dream they sold to them is to go to school and graduate with high grade to get a good paying job and the rat race continue from generation to generation. People should think out of the box, I drop out of school knowing the famous and richest people in the world don’t have educational background and I’m happy I took that decision. The rich don’t work for money, they let money work for them and no matter how much you make always pay yourself first and that is the first rule of money. Peace ✌️

4 Likes

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by appliedscience(m): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
[quote author=Pojomojo post=122119702][/quote]
Interviewer: tell us about ursef..

Me: I am adeyinka.. born 19....
From my early years be always nurse a passion to know more abt production processes... This trigger d zeal in pursue a career in biochemistry at the University.....

Interviewer:: gbammm!!! Slamm d table n shouted .... What are u telling me .. u mean u were born n straight away enter university U didn't go to any primary or secondary schl

At that point ... I lost my condination n confidence....

The rest is a story

1 Like

Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by lavylilly: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
Have you met stif competition?
DUKEOFIBADAN:
I still don’t understand why some people prefer to work a job they don’t like just to pay bills than starting their own businesses. The dream they sold to them is to go to school and graduate with high grade to get a good paying job and the rat race continue from generation to generation. People should think out of the box, I drop out of school knowing the famous and richest people in the world don’t have educational background and I’m happy I took that decision. The rich don’t work for money, they let money work for them and no matter how much you make always pay yourself first and that is the first rule of money. Peace ✌️
Re: Dear Interviewee, Tell Me About Yourself. by shantti(m): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AMERICA EMBASSY, Abuja & Lagos De Employ, Send Your Application Now Check Link / International Rescue Committee (IRC) Job Vacancies (14 Positions) / Nigerian Airforce DSSC Recruitmant 2013 Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.