Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (91256 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by HydraFeeds(m): 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
QuinModah:
Is lala still a mod?
Seun said he brought him back .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by TalkingBird: 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hahahahahahahaha

id4sho:
Go to Court tongue
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by IrawoKross: 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
mortalincarnate:

Seun please remove Myndd, we all know why he’s not fit for this job
Will Seun ever listen? Myd44 is his Yoruba brother.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by lakefist(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

Moderate Christian thread as much as you moderate Muslim thread. Let Muslims and Christians discuss their stuffs. Don't forget to include traditionalists.

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Silentgroper(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Asgard13:

This is a good option..even though na good mod.. but most times . E Dey touch am emotionally..

One love Mynd44

Way too emotional and he's gender biased...

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by TheNiceGuy(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
hahahaha

Imagine number one troll on Nairaland, those your victim will be free now.

We escaped your years of cancellation and now this tongue

FatimaAbubakar:
If you are banning the so-called ethnic slurs, then it should not be one-sided. There some people here who use derogatory words on others to promote their ethnic group and they seem to be untouchables but when someone else does same, the person get banned.

Take note that there is a moderator on this forum who ban people who do not concur to the ideas of his ethnic group and religious affiliation.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by GloriousGbola: 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Ishilove:

You remember grin

I am talking about a different kind of offense. The kind shaqfu is familiar with
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by CodeTemplar: 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
OmoGomesIlorin:

Modify your website rule to International Best Practices.
Imagine Nairaland doesn't have a Comprehensive Privacy Policy, Terms of Use.
Even the Community rule is outdated.
Ethnic slurs is not the only issue your site is facing, you need to deal with Mysoginist and Misandry content as well. Harassment is almost everyday thing on nairaland

will you enforce the rules for him?
Rules not enforced are just invitation to anarchy.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by membranus: 2:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
rockcitie:

Seun please introduce the BLOCK button on Nairaland so that users can freely block anyone who posts comments that threaten one's peace of mind & mental health. Thank you.

Supported.

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by samuelson06(m): 2:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

How about beggars? You've got any plans for them? They also make the forum a turn off. Some even wrap the begging in a comment.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ipobarecriminals: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Oscarhakx:
whats wrong with this one. My friend go and take a sit. You have nothing to offer
I and ur father are friends not u
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Okbaba: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,
Good development. Please also ban Obembet from posting petty and irritating news about cr7. She's also creating bad blood among football lovers
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by PopQueenAgency: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Thank you. A step in the right direction.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Seun(m): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Throwback:
Note that this measure from Seun is only about tribal slurs and not about tribal bigotry.
I don't support tribal bigotry either.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Corridon: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
TheNiceGuy:
Quiet angry

Because other moderators always let you go scot-free insulting anything Yoruba, Tinubu and Buhari but mynd, I wouldn't surprise at you and your folks reaction
Shut up.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by LZAA: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Yarimo
Afamed
Helinues
and his multiple accounts
Ihordspy
Those accounts should be banned

5 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by HydraFeeds(m): 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
QuinModah:
Is lala still a mod?

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Electorate: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Any evidence of that? We accepted political ads, but I'm not aware of any other cashing out. I'll investigate anyone if good evidence is provided.

Are you going to check the email inbox of all your moderators? Start by disabling all moderators accounts from receiving direct message to their emails. Backdoor business transactions are carried out via that route without your knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Tulumbu: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
HydraFeeds:
Seun said he brought him back .
he is nlfpmod

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by XAUBulls: 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
BombAttack:

dominique, mukina2, L.a.la.sti.c.lal.a, seun.

Rule 2 broken - Spelling Igbo as Ibo - this demeaning of the Igbo race.
No RULE was broken here. IT is very incorrect of you to say that!

I have been a veteran member of NL for 18 years now with another NL account, and I belong to an older generation which used IBO in ALL our daily interactions, school books and in newspapers and other publications. I have newspapers published after the year 2000 in my archives that used the spelling IBO. It was after the year 2000 that we started seeing the other "Igbo" spelling, but I'm used to USING the spelling IBO. NOTHING DEROGATORY HERE. I assume you are younger in age and this is the reason why you do NOT realise these historical FACTS.

The recent Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary also still uses "Ibo" as an alternate to Igbo. IBO is the STANDARD Anglicised format still used in publications today, so, you have to update your knowledge there.

Even in Chinua Achebe's books that we read back in the day, IBO was used even right up to those published around the year 2000.
If it was wrong to use the spelling IBO, many of your kinsmen and Achebe would have bluntly refused to have the spelling "Ibo" in all their literature books of the late 1800s/early1900s till after the year 2000. Period.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Betanwa(m): 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
I stopped reading comments because of this.. was so sad

Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by moshino(m): 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

It took you long enough, but, better late than never. Good job!

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by FiremanX: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Nice one seun, this ethnic slurs and tribal bigotry is already getting out of hands, I'm glad you listened to us this time around. atleast this forum will sane and clean from bigots.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Oscarhakx: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
ipobarecriminals:
I and ur father are friends not u
incoherent modasucker. What is he even saying?

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ahnie: 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
cheesy cheesy
samuelson06:

How about beggars? You've got any plans for them? They also make the forum a turn off. Some even wrap the begging in a comment.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by labi1977(m): 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Tears cry

Visiting NL is heartbreaking.

U tweeted that NL is being hijacked by e-terrorists. True. Thanks 4 listening.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by omohayek: 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
LZAA:
Yarimo
Afamed
Helinues
and his multiple accounts
Ihordspy
Those accounts should be banned
You are at least as deserving of a ban as any of the accounts you mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by nnewsnjobs: 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
Anyway, na anytime you believe it is daybreak, that is actually your daybreak.

Good luck to you for taking the bold step.

Don't worry this decision is not going to reduce your earnings.

Welcome back to a new Nairaland without tribalism.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by hustla(m): 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
Taeewo:
Good, and try to grade each member by level that will always display along side their username...

Example

Someone that joined within six months should display newbie

After a year he fit change again

After another year he go change again,this can be achieved through the activeness of each member...

Verification process too

Monthly or yearly sub

Useful in the technology market for sellers

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27)

Goodluck Jonathan At Heathrow In London Without The Bowler Hat (Photo) / Nigerians React To The Death Of Precious Owolabi, Channels TV Corper Reporter / Governor Rochas Okorocha's 55th Birthday Celebration In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.