Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,976 members, 7,817,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling (38639 Views)

Selfish Sibling Willing To Do Anything To Solely Inherit / Can One Have 4 Cars Parked At Home And Still Have A Sibling Using Keke To Work? / Should I Distance Myself From My Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Ashawoman82: 6:35am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

Did you read about an health issue involved? Please if your loved ones are ill, don't raise a finger. Seems tragic stories gives you orgasms. I was brought up with love and will reciprocate it. I didn't come here to complain to you. Just felt like airing my views. Thank you
illness is different ..by the way, u are just being a hypocrite...perhaps your kind gas everything given to u in a platter of gold that's y u don't understand life...who knows, u might still be a kid lol...
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Ashawoman82: 6:36am On Apr 01, 2023
Klass99:

Is it by force to have children now? Last time I checked it was still a matter of choice o. Or is there a new bible or national memo mandating every Nigerian citizen to have them?
keep decieving yourself, u think say na USA u de, na for old age your eye go open...even with your billions u can never find happiness without children, unless u adopt.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Amayabor1: 6:48am On Apr 01, 2023
Napata77:

Maybe she can't even afford the ticket to return, not to mention money to live on when she returns.

It is not for you to tell her to ''come back''.

Do you have job for her in Nigeria?

Or you want her to come back and do ashewo?

There is no Nigerian that has been living in Canada for 5 years that can't afford flight ticket back to Nigeria. Stop using your poverty mentality to judge other people. Even people that went to Canada to do masters last year and are working as a student can afford to send something reasonable back home.. it is then someone who has been in Canada for 5 years (if not more). Oga go sleep. If she was in some European countries like Italy, I would assumed she may be struggling there. But in Canada, for 5 years? No way.

I am 100% sure that OP sister has the means to help her siblings and family members. Either she just doesn't want to help them or her money is going into a project they are not aware of.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by DMCY: 6:49am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

I

Na this kind Aunty go back home come kill like 50billion cows for burial? Chaii! This life ehn, e get as e be.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Nobody: 6:52am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

I have a 3 siblings and I am at odds with my eldest who is a lady. The way it is, I may never have a conversation with her again.

She was the first person to be invested in by my parents after which I came. Luckily enough, she was able to strike gold in her career and do well for herself. She went abroad for her masters with my parents supporting with half-payment. Unfortunately, whenever it came to family demands and helping the other younger siblings, she has either been negligent or grudgingly does so.

Few years after going abroad, she decided to lockup and sends only 40k home which is supposed to cater for food for a month.
Now parents are retired, the whole family weight falls on my following sibling and I. The youngest one education is on me. Happy she will finish soon. Parents need to be supported in challenging times, one is coping with diabetes and the other is with some challenging issues I can't say here. Their savings are being sapped by their needs to keep living on.

But my so-called elder sister based in Canada despite knowing their condition is silent. She still sends her peanuts, while I and my younger brother who is an upcoming fashion designer do 2X what she does. This aches our parents and sometimes makes our mother cry and our father rant with regret.

A time now came, our mum got admitted in the hospital. Condition was so salient that she had to be hospitalized for weeks. Hospital bill was 450k. The Canada-based first born doing a good job, who was always talking to her, praying with her on phone, etc only sent 100k. We the others did the rest. Glad mum is back at home but her heart is broken and has refused to talk with her. She's been in Canada for 5 years and has refused to even support any of her siblings to come abroad too.

My other siblings say because we all refuse to be dictated to by her is the reason for her behaviour. I don't care. Mine is that if you know that you are going to be useless to a family, let your parents know before hand so the money used in training/feeding you can be used for farming business which will despite bad weather bring returns than on a child who feels is not obligated to support the parents who supported you all through.

Right .
And this is enough reason to distance yourself from your elder sister?.Even calling her useless to the family and a so called sister when she is blood not a currency?.
Do you have any idea how tough it is to settle abroad for the first years and the bills she pays from that “good Job”?.She even sends something small what if she does not send at all will you send your village people to her.
Come down from your high horse and you three have a zoom meeting to sort things out.She owes you nothing only your parents so you work hard and support your parents plus yourself and stop waiting for someone else to do it.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:55am On Apr 01, 2023
God help your family.

There is a lesson to be learnt here. Every parent should prioritise building their wealth rather than trying to hand economic care to their grown up children. Our children are not financial investments, and if we don't build ourselves, we become a liability to them.

I can imagine how much you could have done with all the money you are spending on your parents. However, it's more blessed to give than to receive.

Once I have trained my children to University, they should be independent enough to fund masters, travelling etc, If they want to. I can support, but not at the detriment of my retirement investment and savings.

The cycle of entitlement in Nigeria is too strong. Forgive your sister, do what you can. She has shown her character, but the man who holds no grudge will remain in the path of light.

PonziHater

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 01, 2023
LikeAking:

Somebody with Masters degree in Canada, can't be struggling..

She is using her money, her way..
I know people with two masters that cannot even get a Job.Even with PhD you can struggle as work experience counts before academic experience.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by emmaodet: 7:05am On Apr 01, 2023
Klass99:

My parents had a choice and they made the choice to birth me. There is no law or rule book which says I must follow in their footsteps or make the same choice to have children too.

That's the beauty of the power of choice and freewill Almighty God has given us. I don't run with the herd neither do I do things because others are doing it or it is expected by society.

Cc: Emmaodet, can you see what I was talking about on the other thread?

Have gone through the thread and the hope sound like a very entitled person.
For God sake, your sister in Canada owes you nothing.
She has been helping the family but you people think she can do better.
Do you people actually know or care about what she is passing through in that abroad?
Ohhh or do they think because she is in abroad, all of a sudden she is rich?
Parents should pls only give birth to kids they can cater for so that they won't be putting pressure on the first kid.
The Op story is even similar to mine.
I am the first and my parent tried for me just the way they did for the 2 behind me but the one who followed me is always entitled, envious and always badmouthing me behind that what have I even done for the family?
I am working and earning fine but doesn't give up to expectation yet I did alot for the family, roofed their house they moved in, bought pathfinder jeep for them years ago and I am still trying my best.
This guy keeps telling people I don't want to help him and everyone started accusing me of not helping my siblings.
My mum and I garthered money sent the idiot to Dubai through an agent at Ibadan who gave him a job here before leaving.
Got to duabi, works with a driving company and earning 150k naira with accomodation.
He has done 5 years now there and came back last month.
One naira no follow am come. No savings, no investment, no properties, Nothing
He never send his mum and dad money for the 5 years, if we have anything to do na so so complain and my mum had to refer him back to his words that he said concerning me that I am working but not helping the family as expected.
@ Op - Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
If you think it is easy, you sef hustle go Canada go make the money send come home now

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Ferdinandu(m): 7:12am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

I have a 3 siblings and I am at odds with my eldest who is a lady. The way it is, I may never have a conversation with her again.

She was the first person to be invested in by my parents after which I came. Luckily enough, she was able to strike gold in her career and do well for herself. She went abroad for her masters with my parents supporting with half-payment. Unfortunately, whenever it came to family demands and helping the other younger siblings, she has either been negligent or grudgingly does so.

Few years after going abroad, she decided to lockup and sends only 40k home which is supposed to cater for food for a month.
Now parents are retired, the whole family weight falls on my following sibling and I. The youngest one education is on me. Happy she will finish soon. Parents need to be supported in challenging times, one is coping with diabetes and the other is with some challenging issues I can't say here. Their savings are being sapped by their needs to keep living on.

But my so-called elder sister based in Canada despite knowing their condition is silent. She still sends her peanuts, while I and my younger brother who is an upcoming fashion designer do 2X what she does. This aches our parents and sometimes makes our mother cry and our father rant with regret.

A time now came, our mum got admitted in the hospital. Condition was so salient that she had to be hospitalized for weeks. Hospital bill was 450k. The Canada-based first born doing a good job, who was always talking to her, praying with her on phone, etc only sent 100k. We the others did the rest. Glad mum is back at home but her heart is broken and has refused to talk with her. She's been in Canada for 5 years and has refused to even support any of her siblings to come abroad too.

My other siblings say because we all refuse to be dictated to by her is the reason for her behaviour. I don't care. Mine is that if you know that you are going to be useless to a family, let your parents know before hand so the money used in training/feeding you can be used for farming business which will despite bad weather bring returns than on a child who feels is not obligated to support the parents who supported you all through.
Till Nigerians learns the era of Children been retirement plan is gone. I am saying it for my Generation just coming up, let your retirement plan be as paramount as training your children. Instead of putting them in 200k school, put them in 100k school and push the rest to your retirement plan. If you can find way reduce your current house rent, try nib at some of your current expenses and push the bits to your retirement plan to avoid this kind of story. Most children can hardly yet afford their basic needs before the load of aged parents comes in leading to this kind of scenario. The more self centered of the children will just lock up, the one that have a larger heart will carry all the load which is more likely going to hurt his own plan for his future. CHILDREN ARE NO LONGER RETIREMENT PLAN. Old age without retirement plan is a long odious journey. PLAN NOW

5 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by ogbe88(m): 7:23am On Apr 01, 2023
Klass99:

Lmao grin. I feel you and I agree with this, parenting can be stressful and thankless.

I prefer to spend time and money on my parents than give birth to children to do so, because with my parents I am aware of the sacrifices they made, how it benefited and still benefits me today, and I am more than happy to reciprocate their care, do good and do right by them.

With a child or children........that's just a gamble with no guarantee of returns on investment and a risk I am not willing to take. Make I spend my money on the good humans who already exist as my family and friends, at least these relationships are mutually beneficial in real time, not heavily one sided and there's no waiting for years to reap the benefits as it is with children.

Modified to add: As far as I am concerned marriage and children are life choices, not mandatory goals or achievements, we all have to meet, in order to unlock happiness or the adult phase of our lives. Can folks stop quoting me with points that don't hold water or make any sense? If you must quote then make sense or present a superior argument abeg.
Woke ppl will learn the hard way.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Obajuxxl(m): 7:29am On Apr 01, 2023
Person wey go responsible go responsible. No talk or family meeting go change this your sister. She go born too, her pikin go show her pass this one.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 7:34am On Apr 01, 2023
Ferdinandu:
Till Nigerians learns the era of Children been retirement plan is gone. I am saying it for my Generation just coming up, let your retirement plan be as paramount as training your children. Instead of putting them in 200k school, put them in 100k school and push the rest to your retirement plan. If you can find way reduce your current house rent, try nib at some of your current expenses and push the bits to your retirement plan to avoid this kind of story. Most children can hardly yet afford their basic needs before the load of aged parents comes in leading to this kind of scenario. The more self centered of the children will just lock up, the one that have a larger heart will carry all the load which is more likely going to hurt his own plan for his future. CHILDREN ARE NO LONGER RETIREMENT PLAN. Old age without retirement plan is a long odious journey. PLAN NOW

Y'all sounding like Nigeria is a balanced country where you can plan well. Here companies sack anyhow, companies owe you, businesses fail, people get defrauded, people have health issues that take their finances. That is why people are willing to do anything to get a government job that will give them security. How many government jobs are available?
See don't blame people. You never know what shoes they are in. And if you were, you may not be able to do better. If you can help, help. If you can't help yourself alone. But don't go to church claiming to be a christian when you believe giving charity is promoting entitlement mentality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Gloriagee(f): 7:38am On Apr 01, 2023
The question is how much does the op give his parents and siblings? How much did the parents contribute to covering her tuition?

Now, assuming there are issues shes facing, wat stops her from opening up to her mum? Ive been in situations where people have had high expectations of me and sometimes the only way out is to confide in them on why their expectations are truly unreasonable.

xevove2061:

How much do you give your own parents? Lets start from there.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by JesusSaves49(m): 7:43am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

Let family issues remain in the family.
Know this lesson and know peace.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Solocoin: 7:49am On Apr 01, 2023
You don't have to be disappointed in your elder sister, the only challenge you have is that you don't have money because if you do, you won't be looking at her direction for help. All you need to do is to double your hustling spirit and you will make it. Not every siblings have the mind to help their younger siblings. I live with my elder brother though he's late, I was not working and I beg my brother to help me with 5k to go get drivers license so that I can look for driving work he said he doesn't have. How about 3k he said he doesn't have but this is the same people that train a girl he dated and the girl later leave him.
Another mistake some parents make is to train their children with the hope of them taking care of them at old age. Even as you train you children make sure you have a savings or investment that you will survive on at old age and whatever your children give should be a bonus. How about after training the child from school he/she die?

3 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Chijoo(m): 7:50am On Apr 01, 2023
Darammliveth:

I'm also surprised

This is really sad.
People usually say female child are always the most supportive when it comes to their parent need compare to the male child.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by TheRealestGuy(m): 7:55am On Apr 01, 2023
ZIMDRILL:

in my work you got a wrong mindset when it comes to raising kids

there is nothing called Sacrifice when it comes to raising your own children, its your duty both by nature and law, you can not sacrifice on something you are meant to be doing aka raising your own kids

the only people who deserve to use that word is those looking after othet people's kids yes they sacrifice there time and money becoz it wasnt there responsiblility

Kids are not investment why becoz they can have their own mind, your money and properties are the right investment they can
never have their own mind hence they will work according to your wish

Saying parents sacrificed is like giving yourself a medal for breathing, if you want to live you must breath so u can not give yoself a medal

Same with kids we bear, its our duty and responsibility no one else so dont congrats your self for something you are meant to be doing

the moment we accept that it is our duty to look after we children the better we dont see them as investments but just raising a human being and hoping that they will be better than you in achievement

We are poor becoz we confuse investment and responsibility of raising children. The two are totally different but most africans make them one thing

what If all your kids die before you? when u viewed them as investment, a property will look after you same with shares etc

Having the mindset of investment is wrong you will end up thinking that you are doing a favour to your children when in reality it is actually your duty and no one else

Oh parents make a lot of sacrifices.

Anything your parents did for you after you clocked 18 years of age is a sacrifice you must never forget if you're a normal human being.

Emphasis on the last three words in the preceeding paragraph.

I rest my case.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Ferdinandu(m): 7:55am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

Y'all sounding like Nigeria is a balanced country where you can plan well. Here companies sack anyhow, companies owe you, businesses fail, people get defrauded, people have health issues that take their finances. That is why people are willing to do anything to get a government job that will give them security. How many government jobs are available?
See don't blame people. You never know what shoes they are in. And if you were, you may not be able to do better. If you can help, help. If you can't help yourself alone. But don't go to church claiming to be a christian when you believe giving charity is promoting entitlement mentality.
Did I ever said it is bad to help someone. Didn't you see where I said for the generation that are still not yet old. That is problem with Nigerians, most peoples problem arise because they are always emotional about every damn thing,they are quick to blackmail you with religion and God. My friend most people are helpless in old age because they never have a damn plan for their old age except children. There is different between seriously planning by yourself and failing and putting your plans on another human in the name of children. Nigeria is a horrible place to plan we understand but you still need to. Children must look after their parents at old age but the more most people are educated to take hold of their old age for themselves the better for everyone. Even in Advanced countries sometimes calamities do come and wipe out your plans. Your sister is self centered I understand but I am saying this for you now not your parents that has passed the stage I'm talking about
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Trojan8(m): 7:58am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

Are you a dumbass. Didn't you read my contribution. This is about helping the parents. May your children never help you as you support such ill.

Of course, never expected anything better from you.

I am supposed to be bothered about curses from a non-entity
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Offpoint1: 8:02am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:
Here is my story....

See entitled mentality in the fullest, she owns non of you shxt.

She has contributed her quarter, money don't grow on trees anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 8:03am On Apr 01, 2023
Trojan8:

Of course, never expected anything better from you.

I am supposed to be bothered about curses from a non-entity

Neither am i to be bothered about this maggots that spill from an immorally demented mouth.

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

That means if your parents need money for health issues and you are the only child to help, na die they don die. Tufiakwa for useless pikin like you.

Of course I will help but nobody should feel entitled to it and start blackmail of after all we labored for him. undecided Ogbeni rest.

People that joined seminary and never had children. Are they dead or do they die alone in an hospital?
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Trojan8(m): 8:07am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

Neither am i to be bothered about this maggots that spill from an immorally demented mouth.

This is the kind of attitude that your elder sister had to put up with, no wonder she decided to distance herself from you.

You are a sad human.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by RomanGreen: 8:08am On Apr 01, 2023
deewhydoski:
I don't know how training a child has become an investment that u must get a return. A child that will help you at old age will do so even if u no train ham go school. In a family children can never be the same, you will see one that cares alot and u will see one that care less.

Why are you guys so selfish and self centered. This is the reason most people have lost their human touch and why so much wickedness abound coz most people don't care. Tufiakwa with this sort of me.ntality, just remember life happens and pray not to be a victim
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by InvertedHammer: 8:09am On Apr 01, 2023
akube34:
make una stop ds talk. No be d same Canada we Dey? If u plan your sec well, u will handle ur bills accordingly. You shouldn’t take more dan u can handle. I av a friend here dat barely gives his pple anything. The day I tell am say I wan go send my mama Bleep amount, him surprised. This is a guy dat works two jobs and has much savings. He is even stingy to himself to feed well.
/
I guess life experience in Canada can only be viewed through the prism of you and your friend.

/

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by CosmicDust: 8:14am On Apr 01, 2023
Trojan8:

This is the kind of attitude that your elder sister had to put up with, no wonder she decided to distance herself from you.

You are a sad human.

So you expect to talk shit to me here and i will take it because i chose to create a topic of Nairaland? Perhaps you have comprehension issues. Read the topic again. I am the one distancing myself from her.
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by SisterAnn(f): 8:19am On Apr 01, 2023
Darammliveth:

This is really sad.
People usually say female child are always the most supportive when it comes to their parent need compare to the male child.
My brother...
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Lekan239(m): 8:22am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:
Thanks for the messages. I am sharing my story here is to air out a piece of my mind and also I believe many people also do have stories of sibling rivalries.
For those who told me to call and discuss issues with, anytime I do that is a reason for a fight. Infact I have been exhaustive on that. She has left the family whatsapp group and claims we all use it to extort her. 2 of us are doing well for ourselves.

Even if I dey wipe nyansh for Canada, e no go reach situation wey I no fit send at least $150 back home to my parents. This girl sends 40k. $55 a month for your parents that trained you. That is unthinkable.
some people never even send anything swishing home after 5years. Just continue praying to God to bless you and ur sister more..

There are ways u will disturb someone when dey don't have that will make them not to help when they finally have. Maybe una don call extended family on her that she's not responsible and not sending money home
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by benqo01(m): 8:29am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

She was partly sponsored there to do a Masters Programme. Few months later she got a job in a financial company and has been doing that for 5 years. Please tell me how I will be doing better than her.
I am here. I have a barbing saloon with 2 barbers, I have my own car that I use for cab hailing. And every month I bring out at least 70k to support my parents from my earnings because of their condition. I still have a wife at home. And I am not complaining. Please the situation you may considering isn't what it is.

5yrs working in financial company and only send less than 100 CAD no this is very terrible haba

1 Like

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by benqo01(m): 8:31am On Apr 01, 2023
Even person wey dey Kenya dey send better money

Tah 5yrs for Canada ND u get better work nothing wey person go tell me her sis no try
Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:33am On Apr 01, 2023
CosmicDust:

Bros, the bolded, which thou hath written with thy own hands, also applyeth to thy sister.
Don't you think so?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Chose To Distance Myself From A Sibling by Lekan239(m): 8:34am On Apr 01, 2023
Mumusaphire:
hmm mm. U are right, but many people are just heartless. They won't change no matter what. I also have a brother here in Nigeria, abuja, our first born. Doing well, real big man, working in federal ministry of justice, abuja, na real Senior staff ooooo, that before u get to his office, u must pass many securities. To cut a story short, he can't help financially, he can't help getting we his siblings a job, or connect us. Even his wife also work in federal interner revenue in abuja, high rank also. Last too weeks, I was so down, even till now, but am just managing myself. I summoned my courage to call him because have knew that he won't help. I sent him message on WhatsApp with prove of my health. It was on sat that day, election day. He replied that haha, that i should pls give her till Monday, that he will run around to help me. I thought in my mind that my brother want run around on top how much. Even have spend more than 50k before I decided to msg him. At last, it was on Thursday my brother sent me money. I was surprised to see just 5k. So u can see many of them can't change, but just heartless. But they can donates for church to show off.
ur brother is probably angry fir something you or anyone in the family has probably dine to him before. It might not be you, ut might be another family members

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? / My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy / Lockdown Could Lead To 7 Million Unintended Pregnancies - UN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.