Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car (3857 Views)

Ever Since I Bought A Mercedes Benz, It's Been One Trouble To Another / The Parable Of A Lemon. / Dubious Calculusx of V.A Auto Sales Ventures Sold A Lemon Lexus ES 350 To Me! !! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 10:45pm On Apr 02, 2023
Hi guys.

Last year I bought a 2003 Toyota matrix as my first car. Didn't know anything about cars and was a bit desperate cos of a personal issue.

Bad combination.

Anyway, I bought a lemon; the engine turned out to have terrible rings and the car started smoking a week after I made full payment.

Still not knowing anything about cars, I decided to ring the engine.

Another bad error.

Engine was ringed at almost the cost of a toks engine, and all seemed fine. 3 months later, engine started smoking lightly. But compression was good, oil burn was minimal.

But now, the engine burns about 1 litre of oil every 100km. The compression is still pretty good, and the smoking is not as bad as the first time. It still works with my ac.

I wanted to sell it and buy a toks car this year, but personal projects came up and are priority now. So I've decided to work on my lemon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 10:51pm On Apr 02, 2023
I changed the suspension parts about two months ago, and the gear started having issues since then. First it wasn't reversing, but that stopped after the valve body was washed.

Now, the gear won't work in gear 2. It will shift to gear 2, but the rpm would be very high, around 3,000 or 3200 before it does so. Then once it enters gear 2, the rpm drops to around 700, the car starts vibrating and there's this loud sound from the gear that sounds like plates hitting each other. Once the car gets to 40kmh, the clacking stops and the car rpms rise to around 1000. But then no matter how much you press the accelerator, it won't change to gear 3.

So, gear needs replacement.

Also, the engine's knock sensor is gone, 02 sensor is gone. It moves well in gear 1, with or without ac. But I recently 'cleaned' the plugs and I've been having delayed acceleration intermittently since then.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 10:54pm On Apr 02, 2023
I've calculated how much it will cost me to replace both engine and gear, and a few bodywork jobs on it, and it's much lesser than buying a toks car.

The issue I have now is getting reliable plugs for the gear and engine. With those two replaced, the rest is easy. Replace tires, tint the glasses, and a few aesthetics.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by HeartlessMan: 10:54pm On Apr 02, 2023
Na wa!!

9 Likes

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 10:57pm On Apr 02, 2023
I've learned a lot about cars by buying a lemon grin

But now, I want to put my car in good working order.

I stay in Ibadan, so please if you know any good plug for engine and gear, abeg hook your boy up.

I also intend to keep updating this topic with progress reports of when I start working on the car, so watch this space. cool
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2023
HeartlessMan:
Na wa!!

Oga mi, na so we see am. Pls if you know any good plug for engine and gear replacement, please hook me up.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2023
Engine is a 1zz Fe, gear is 5 pin.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by WarrenP: 11:19pm On Apr 02, 2023
I just dey imagine the amount you don spend on top the car. You try
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 11:42pm On Apr 02, 2023
WarrenP:
I just dey imagine the amount you don spend on top the car. You try

grin honestly. But most of it was unnecessary, looking back. I wished I'd just gotten a toks engine the first time.

But no Lele, I'm smarter now. The gear, someone was telling me he knows someone that will repair it. I laughed and said no way. I'll rather gather money to get a solid replacement than repair it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by valarinz: 12:00am On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:

grin honestly. But most of it was unnecessary, looking back. I wished I'd just gotten a toks engine the first time.

But no Lele, I'm smarter now. The gear, someone was telling me he knows someone that will repair it. I laughed and said no way. I'll rather gather money to get a solid replacement than repair it.

I think you should contact gazzuzz

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by icon02(m): 12:55am On Apr 03, 2023
check pamtech autos on Facebook

2 Likes

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by fashrola(m): 2:50am On Apr 03, 2023
Also get a high end scanner to diagnose your car to ascertain pending issues on your car...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 3:03am On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:
Engine is a 1zz Fe, gear is 5 pin.
contact gazzuzz

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by skywalker240(m): 5:31am On Apr 03, 2023
You are at the right place, just mention the gurus over here and 69% of the problem may probably be solved

I bought a naija used vehicle too though it is not a lemon, I'll never make that decision again

If i don't have cash for Toks, I'll rather rest 😎 cool

5 Likes

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by dicksonadams(m): 5:43am On Apr 03, 2023
despite all this challenges, I love your positive spirit , reachout to Gazzuz, Kingreign, they are not in ibadan but perhaps they know someone, both of them are good.

But personally if you think the car isn't that OK, it is not bad idea to sell and save up to buy a better unit to avoid the sink cost paradox
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by olenyi: 6:02am On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:

I stay in Ibadan, so please if you know any good plug for engine and gear, abeg hook your boy up.

I also intend to keep updating this topic with progress reports of when I start working on the car, so watch this space. cool

https://www.nairaland.com/gazzuzz

2 Likes

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 7:21am On Apr 03, 2023
fashrola:
Also get a high end scanner to diagnose your car to ascertain pending issues on your car...

I already did. The vvti thing and knock sensor were the two things that came up. Scanned with two scanners actually.

Of course, this is apart from the o2 sensor and probably spacers.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 7:24am On Apr 03, 2023
dicksonadams:
despite all this challenges, I love your positive spirit , reachout to Gazzuz, Kingreign, they are not in ibadan but perhaps they know someone, both of them are good.

But personally if you think the car isn't that OK, it is not bad idea to sell and save up to buy a better unit to avoid the sink cost paradox

grin

I get. The car doesn't have much issues outside the gear and the engine. The electricals are fine, never given me a moments trouble.

The rest is aesthetics; tint, spraying the bumpers, car seat, etc. Major issues are gear and engine.

Even for the engine, the alternator is sound. Had it tested recently also. So I'm planning to just go for the top and bottom, half engine.

I'll reach out to gazzuzz and kingreign soon.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 7:26am On Apr 03, 2023
In the midst of all these, I had a kazeem who was bleeding me dry. grin grin

I caught him recently and quietly fired him. Now I also need a mech. The good auto places around here are far from where I stay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 7:29am On Apr 03, 2023
skywalker240:
You are at the right place, just mention the gurus over here and 69% of the problem may probably be solved

I bought a naija used vehicle too though it is not a lemon, I'll never make that decision again

If i don't have cash for Toks, I'll rather rest 😎 cool

Honestly. Naija used is rarely worth the stress.

When I got the car, the previous owner was using 20W50 to service it. He'd also cut off the gear cooler lines to the radiator because the radiator was leaking. So instead of fixing the leak (which I eventually fixed for around 6k) he preferred to cut off the lines and risk the gear overheating. angry

I'd have gone for toks now, but priorities, priorities.

But by the grace of God, my next car is definitely toks. Either shipped or gotten from a reputable dealer.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 7:30am On Apr 03, 2023
icon02:
check pamtech autos on Facebook

Okay, will check them out. Thanks boss smiley
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by TPound(m): 7:42am On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:

I can help source for it in ladipo and waybill it to you.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by Alvin007: 9:20am On Apr 03, 2023
I’m sorry about everything you’ve gone through… Gazzuzz is a good engine and gear plug for you.
Kindly, contact me…I can help guide you, in choosing better hands for other repairs here in Ibadan…also, I’ve had a 2003 Toyota Matrix for almost 8 years…I’m not sure there’s anything about it that I don’t know….I don’t even intend to sell it soon. It’s really rugged if you can maintain it properly.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by JAYUK(m): 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2023
Reach out to Gazzuz,for peace of mind

1 Like

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by skywalker240(m): 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:

Honestly. Naija used is rarely worth the stress.

When I got the car, the previous owner was using 20W50 to service it. He'd also cut off the gear cooler lines to the radiator because the radiator was leaking. So instead of fixing the leak (which I eventually fixed for around 6k) he preferred to cut off the lines and risk the gear overheating. angry

I'd have gone for toks now, but priorities, priorities.

But by the grace of God, my next car is definitely toks. Either shipped or gotten from a reputable dealer.
Nigerians abuse their vehicles heartlessly, nowadays a accidented vehicle from overseas is better than a so called sound naija used vehicle

Mine doesn't give me headache that much, but there were alot of red signs i found when I bought the car

Alot of check light on the dash board plus the previous owner was using the thick sae40 golden super oil on the car mixed 14, 15 and 16" tyres together, steering pump was faulty, actually it was both the rack and pump

Hub, break pads, danlick pans, alignment and balancing

These were minor problems, but I spent alot

Nigerians are not ready for good things from the auto world

3 Likes

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 2:11pm On Apr 03, 2023
Alvin007:
I’m sorry about everything you’ve gone through… Gazzuzz is a good engine and gear plug for you.
Kindly, contact me…I can help guide you, in choosing better hands for other repairs here in Ibadan…also, I’ve had a 2003 Toyota Matrix for almost 8 years…I’m not sure there’s anything about it that I don’t know….I don’t even intend to sell it soon. It’s really rugged if you can maintain it properly.

Everyone has been saying contact gazzuzz. The guy must really know his onions then.

Yeah, I intend to keep my matrix also, even when I get other cars. Maybe it's because it's my first car, I don't know, but I love the car.
Very rugged like you said, and with a few customizations you can make it a very good car.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 2:16pm On Apr 03, 2023
skywalker240:

Nigerians abuse their vehicles heartlessly, nowadays a accidented vehicle from overseas is better than a so called sound naija used vehicle

Mine doesn't give me headache that much, but there were alot of red signs i found when I bought the car

Alot of check light on the dash board plus the previous owner was using the thick sae40 golden super oil on the car mixed 14, 15 and 16" tyres together, steering pump was faulty, actually it was both the rack and pump

Hub, break pads, danlick pans, alignment and balancing

These were minor problems, but I spent alot

Nigerians are not ready for good things from the auto world

grin what?

Omo you don try o. How was the person driving with 3 different tyre sizes?

And yes, an accidented vehicle is better than so called 'sound' naija used. The things I've seen eh, I can't describe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 2:19pm On Apr 03, 2023
Alvin007:

Oga mi, I've sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by skywalker240(m): 3:45pm On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:

grin what?

Omo you don try o. How was the person driving with 3 different tyre sizes?

And yes, an accidented vehicle is better than so called 'sound' naija used. The things I've seen eh, I can't describe.
Your guess is as good mine

I remember when alot of good nairalanders were advising me to run away from naija used vehicle, but you know how the saying goes

Na were hand long reach, it fit scratch back

If money was available for toks, the story won't have been trying.

Try to contact the guys people over here are suggesting, they are professionals, i wish you good luck
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by theadeola(m): 5:37pm On Apr 03, 2023
skywalker240:

Your guess is as good mine

I remember when alot of good nairalanders were advising me to run away from naija used vehicle, but you know how the saying goes

Na were hand long reach, it fit scratch back

If money was available for toks, the story won't have been trying.

Try to contact the guys people over here are suggesting, they are professionals, i wish you good luck

Thank you boss. I will sure do that. I just want a sound engine and gear that won't give me issues.

Wetin this car don do me eh grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by Alvin007: 5:44pm On Apr 03, 2023
theadeola:

Oga mi, I've sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kindly, check my posts…you’ll find my number therein.
Re: Bought A Lemon And Now I Want To Use It For A Project Car by PAQ(m): 11:20pm On Apr 03, 2023
Too bad, car issues can be frustrating. But if i may say this, you didnt buy a lemon, you bought a poorly maintained car. The issues you are experiencing was due to the previous owners poor maintenance culture.
That car come with thesame engine and transmission in a corolla that is regarded as bulletproof .

The term "Lemon" is American English for a vehicle that turns out to have several manufacturing issues affecting its safety, value or utility. Any vehicle with such severe issues may be termed a lemon, and by extension, so may any product with flaws too great or severe to serve its purpose.

Your issues are not a manufacturing defect but consumer abuse and neglect. Good luck on your ride.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pseudonyms For Cars In Naija / Does 2001 Vokwagen Sharan Have Rear Airconditioning? / My Car Key Is Lost? What Can I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.