Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,535 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends (9081 Views)

Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria / "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man / Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by NutritionGuru: 9:50am On Apr 03, 2023
Ok
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Muyiii(m): 9:51am On Apr 03, 2023
Depends on what your job description and contract states.
For instance, sometimes I attend to work related matters on weekends and after hours as per my job description and employment contractual agreement.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by thesicilian: 9:53am On Apr 03, 2023
Each person situation is different, just like in marriage. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Emma1Oj(m): 9:55am On Apr 03, 2023
RecentHistory:

Self employed wey dey find 1 room for Ipaja.
it's not bad to start small. U don't expect him to use the cash he will invest in is business to go rent a house in banana island.

Appreciate genuine Hussle.

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 03, 2023
Khafsun:
Would you be remitting a paltry sum to yourself if it was your own business?

Would I be going home with such amount if it was my business ?
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Venerable612(m): 9:57am On Apr 03, 2023
Depends on the type of work you do….

If you do corporates - most likely you will be expected to work weekends/late nights.

Of course, there are benefits to these - such as extra bonus for volume/value of transactions you closed in a financials year - in addition to it looking good on your end of year appraisal/promotion.

That said, it is always helpful to set boundaries and provide your team with information if you have commitments that will make you unavailable!
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by 27Pushing30: 9:59am On Apr 03, 2023
Depends on what your job entails.

AnonPoet:
Those of you who refuse to pick work calls on Saturday I have a question and I’ll appreciate honest answers - would you be so picky about work if it was your own business?

https://twitter.com/funshodarq1/status/1642265223800209416?t=UTF9WsVUpe-hUZq2hPhcTA&s=19
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by RecentHistory: 9:59am On Apr 03, 2023
Emma1Oj:
it's not bad to start small. U don't expect him to use the cash he will invest in is business to go rent a house in banana island.

Appreciate genuine Hussle.

He should also have enough commonsense to understand that those working now are starting small.

2 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Exposed1: 10:02am On Apr 03, 2023
But these men still claim they are working even after passing unto g...

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by biggz82: 10:03am On Apr 03, 2023
That depends on what is stated on the contract of employment by both parties
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Sijo01(f): 10:06am On Apr 03, 2023
It's inevitable
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Regex: 10:06am On Apr 03, 2023
It depends on the employees contract with their employer.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by polite2(m): 10:06am On Apr 03, 2023
Ohhh yess

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by chatinent: 10:07am On Apr 03, 2023
If you want a straight answer, then it's NO, I won't work overtime if it's not on the job description unless you will pay for the overtime!

I also have my business to attend.

2 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by doggedfighter(f): 10:15am On Apr 03, 2023
RecentHistory:

Self employed wey dey find 1 room for Ipaja.

Maybe that was before he became a self made millionaire.🤣

He lives in a mansion now. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Originalsly: 10:18am On Apr 03, 2023
JASONjnr:
Lol.....

If you're paid and you're assigned some duties that requires working over the weekend then you have no excuse for it.

Infact, this Saturday and Sunday I was working tirelessly to compile nominal rolls and other official duties ...

Called two of my colleagues to gather information from them, they didn't pick up but returned the call late at night!

But I'm getting paid to work and to deliver and gain better experience on the job!

Money isn't everything though!

If you're a regular worker ... not in the essential services where you are expected to be called 24/7 .... then you are a slave to your job ... whi h is not the same as a dedicated worker. Should you be unable to report for duty ... you will be shocked to see how quick you will be fired. Work time is work time .... that's the time you're paid for. People like you are the reason employers exploit workers and have them whours..... longggg hours.

3 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Jez9(m): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2023
Please do it a letter of promotion in disguise.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Proudlyomonna: 10:24am On Apr 03, 2023
Absolutely Yes.
That's where you earn a living so compromise once in awhile should not be a problem.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Kobicove(m): 10:37am On Apr 03, 2023
If you are part of the management team of a multinational company then there is no way you will avoid working during some weekends

Those who do not want to work weekends should not aspire to grow beyond junior staff level! undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Ollyb10: 10:39am On Apr 03, 2023
Proudlyomonna:
Absolutely Yes.
That's where you earn a living so compromise once in awhile should not be a problem.
It is not normal and shouldn't be done by anyone
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Dynamicboss: 10:39am On Apr 03, 2023
It's dicey here but if it is very important, then the employee should respond. Sometimes I think of the terms of contract and when it says work starts 8am - 5pm, Monday to Friday, I feel cheated when I am not paid for the extra hours put during the weekend. The fault is our useless labour force whom are only after their pocket, receiving bribes from wicked Asian companies.

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Amonijosh1: 10:41am On Apr 03, 2023
For me, Ill say it does depend on the nature of your job, i.e. if your job requires releasing of vital information (soft or hard files) in your custody at any giving time, to decline is not an option.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by sherylbaky(f): 10:42am On Apr 03, 2023
These private organisations are just modern day slavery in disguise. Why would anyone want you to work overtime without pay? Even when pay is included, it should be optional.

I wouldn't do it for any reason as I have learnt my lesson in my very first place of work. If you like go to hell for them it doesn't bring any benefit to you. It's slavery and shouldn't be encouraged once it's outside your contract.

The company should get more hands if they want continuous/round the clock work.

2 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Jokkarm2: 10:43am On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:
Those of you who refuse to pick work calls on Saturday I have a question and I’ll appreciate honest answers - would you be so picky about work if it was your own business?

https://twitter.com/funshodarq1/status/1642265223800209416?t=UTF9WsVUpe-hUZq2hPhcTA&s=19

It depend on the type of business or services you offer, some jobs requires you respond immediately, for in stance you are a travel agent and your client is having issues with flight ticket or connecting flight issue and it requires a response before it can be resolved, you will need to respond even if is midnight. but your employer should also be aware of the extra time work and you must agree with your employer

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Skillsnigeria: 10:44am On Apr 03, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by dangotesmummy: 10:44am On Apr 03, 2023
Many Nigerian bosses don't know how to respect boundaries so if you are one who has a boss that asks you to come to work on Saturday or sends an email to you on Sunday morning to work on and send bit back to him within the next 1 hour or is entitled to your time,my dear switch off your phone's on weekends or give him the phone number that is only for work purposes.

However if it's a kind, empathetic, patient and non narcissistic boss,you can attend to work on Saturdays.IF HE'S SOMEONE THAT IS WORTH IT O because there are some bosses you can help or attend to out of sheer kindness and then they'll turn it to their right
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Brunicekid(m): 10:46am On Apr 03, 2023
JASONjnr:
Lol.....

If you're paid and you're assigned some duties that requires working over the weekend then you have no excuse for it.

Infact, this Saturday and Sunday I was working tirelessly to compile nominal rolls and other official duties ...

Called two of my colleagues to gather information from them, they didn't pick up but returned the call late at night!

But I'm getting paid to work and to deliver and gain better experience on the job!

Money isn't everything though!
But, you need work-life balance shaa.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Offpoint1: 10:54am On Apr 03, 2023
Do it for doing sake, not because of anyone.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by 30naira: 11:05am On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:

The answer is no. I wouldn't be so picky if it were my own business. But since it's not my business, the standard work week in Nigeria is 40hours. Mon-fri. Unless my contract stipulates otherwise.

Weekends are for my family and my God. An employer should not demand that I give up family time to grow his business. If he needs Weekend cover, he should do it himself or pay for it. It is because of the unemployment in Nigeria that employers think they are God

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by tnerro1(m): 11:16am On Apr 03, 2023
If u love the job , yes
If not, no
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by KELVINXY: 11:17am On Apr 03, 2023
Image123:
Why not. Do all things to the glory of God. What you sow is what you reap. If the company goes down because of your laissez faire attitude, you will also be out of job. If the company grows and doesn't lose because of your diligence, something somewhere someday will pay you.

Don't forget you have a family to run and take care of also,
Your presence matters a lot to your household,
Your wife needs you, so does your children

You can provide for them financially but still fail as a father,
Which will hit you back when you get old.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Make A Budget Plan On Afixed Income / Federal Civil Servants Take Promotional Exams August / Police Service Commission Approves Promotion Of Two Cps, 16 Dcps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.