Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,741 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends (9056 Views)

Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria / "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man / Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Fxwarrior: 11:29am On Apr 03, 2023
JASONjnr:
Lol.....

If you're paid and you're assigned some duties that requires working over the weekend then you have no excuse for it.

Infact, this Saturday and Sunday I was working tirelessly to compile nominal rolls and other official duties ...

Called two of my colleagues to gather information from them, they didn't pick up but returned the call late at night!

But I'm getting paid to work and to deliver and gain better experience on the job!

Money isn't everything though!

You didn't understand the question. Should you pick customer calls on weekends for a job that has opening and closing time.

To me it's not professional unless it's an essential service that has dedicated customer care to it like telecommunication.

Even customers know not to call because the phone lines are more often than not locked up in the office pending next working day except it's a one man business.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by efficiencie(m): 11:29am On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:
Those of you who refuse to pick work calls on Saturday I have a question and I’ll appreciate honest answers - would you be so picky about work if it was your own business?

https://twitter.com/funshodarq1/status/1642265223800209416?t=UTF9WsVUpe-hUZq2hPhcTA&s=19

The contract is the contract. If the contract says Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm then you have no right as an employer to demand work outside this time frame. Any attempt to push it could result in a lawsuit that could be damaging to the organization. So if I were an employer and would like to have the opportunity to make my employees work on weekends then I have to put that in the contract letter that the employee has to sign and ensure that this move is in line with extant labor laws in the country of operation.

2 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by K4diamond: 11:31am On Apr 03, 2023
Nobody is under compulsion to pick or ignore except you are being paid flexible working allowance. Atimes picking or attending to calls and mails respectively on weekends could have positive impact on your appraisal as having empathy and reliable.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by uuzba(m): 11:42am On Apr 03, 2023
Wakins:
It depends
In truth, it does depend as you said.
But the reality is that once you pick the first one, the second one is coming along.
Before you know it, it becomes a regular thing. Every weekend.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Ovasize(m): 12:16pm On Apr 03, 2023
If I'm working in an organisation all attitude would be geared towards the growth of the organisation. Been paid for my Labour is basic but anything extra necessary so always pick those extra calls. One day you will be recognized
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Aguogba(m): 12:29pm On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:
Those of you who refuse to pick work calls on Saturday I have a question and I’ll appreciate honest answers - would you be so picky about work if it was your own business?

https://twitter.com/funshodarq1/status/1642265223800209416?t=UTF9WsVUpe-hUZq2hPhcTA&s=19
In the country where I live, just like other developed countries, no customer, I repeat NO CUSTOMER gets your personal phone number. ALL official calls go through your official mobile phone or landline and those phones have been programmed to operate only from Monday to Friday. It's as simple as that EXCEPT you are on SPECIAL weekend or standby duty.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by luluman: 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:

What sort of question? Your own biz is personal, you can even choose to sleep in office, or lock up for one month the formal office rule can be boycotted if you wish, but for formal employer/ employee relationships the formal conditions apply.

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:18pm On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:

Treat your job today like it were your personal business…. That is how good recommendations and rewards come.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by UserAF247: 1:19pm On Apr 03, 2023
I believe if business owners paid overtime and for extra hours, employees will pick more weekend calls.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Image123(m): 2:21pm On Apr 03, 2023
KELVINXY:

Don't forget you have a family to run and take care of also,
Your presence matters a lot to your household,
Your wife needs you, so does your children

You can provide for them financially but still fail as a father,
Which will hit you back when you get old.

What has responding to call or email got to do with all these?
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by rafcrown(m): 3:57pm On Apr 03, 2023
Attend to official assignments as contained in the contract.
Mon to friday
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by KELVINXY: 5:06pm On Apr 03, 2023
Image123:

What has responding to call or email got to do with all these?

You work 5 days a week, even 6 days for some and 8am to 5pm and you come home exhausted everyday hardly have time to sort out some minor family issues at home.
What is your boss calling you for? If it's not to work? Is it to wish you happy weekend? undecided

All I'm saying is....
Take a time off work during weekends and take care of your family if you have started one already.
Your children needs their father too and not just their mom.
Or you will grow old wondering why your kids barely shows any affection to you. sad

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by biridon(m): 6:43pm On Apr 03, 2023
You are writing this because your job doesn't pay well.
If you have a meaningful job you won't post this..
Most Bank CEOs and Excos work and sends out most of their mails on weekends.

Go and create your own job if don't like it..
I also support work life balance
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Image123(m): 6:47pm On Apr 03, 2023
KELVINXY:

You work 5 days a week, even 6 days for some and 8am to 5pm and you come home exhausted everyday hardly have time to sort out some minor family issues at home.
What is your boss calling you for? If it's not to work? Is it to wish you happy weekend? undecided

All I'm saying is....
Take a time off work during weekends and take care of your family if you have started one already.
Your children needs their father too and not just their mom.
Or you will grow old wondering why your kids barely shows any affection to you. sad

This is a very poor work stereotype. You don't have to come home exhausted everyday or hardly have time to sort out some minor family issues at home. It doesn't have to be your boss calling you from work. Call from work doesn't have to be TO work but can range from giving information to giving approval, to negotiation, to helping out a newbie, to correction to etc.
Work life balance is not necessarily irresponsibility or not giving a damn as soon as you close from work.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by KELVINXY: 9:28pm On Apr 03, 2023
Image123:

This is a very poor work stereotype. You don't have to come home exhausted everyday or hardly have time to sort out some minor family issues at home. It doesn't have to be your boss calling you from work. Call from work doesn't have to be TO work but can range from giving information to giving approval, to negotiation, to helping out a newbie, to correction to etc.
Work life balance is not necessarily irresponsibility or not giving a damn as soon as you close from work.

Well,
This shows your priorities...
I put in all my best during the week days, making sure that I tidy up all the loose ends before weekend, so anything that comes up later will be attended to on my own terms.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Image123(m): 7:42am On Apr 04, 2023
KELVINXY:

Well,
This shows your priorities...
I put in all my best during the week days, making sure that I tidy up all the loose ends before weekend, so anything that comes up later will be attended to on my own terms.

Every work is not exactly like yours.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by swagguElite(m): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2023
When I start my own firm. They will be weekend works for impromptu matters. I just need two workers out of my staffs plus me. Extra benefits.

That's the only time one should call up a worker at the weekend. "Wanna make some extra bucks" - Nothin' can't be in quenched in 4hrs. Even election petition matters.

We discuss, break down parts and assign one of us to do the typin', share money and continue weekend in your houses. Sufficient notice and benefit. "We might meet again this weekend, emphasis on might, don't travel far". Easy 1,2 - finish.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? / Benue Workers Protest Over Non-Payment Of Salaries On Makurdi-Otukpo Road / How To Make A Budget Plan On Afixed Income

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.