Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,373 members, 7,815,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated (7495 Views)

Any One Traveling To Edmonton, Canada As An International Student? / Please Can I Take My Finance To Canada As A Master Student / Overrated Places To Live In Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by amigo1088: 10:08pm On Apr 04, 2023
And here's why :

What are the keystones of a happy society?

Easy access to housing, easy access to free healthcare, easy access to good education, easy access to quality food.

Housing here is BRUTAL. Try to buy a house for less than 350k that isn't a piece of shit. You can't. Or you can and it's so far in the middle of nowhere that the cost of getting to and from anywhere negate any savings you've made in your purchase.

Easy access to free healthcare; ever had to go to an emergency room here? My friend's son broke his thumb a couple years ago (at 5 years old). Did we get seen? Sure. After 7.5 HOURS of waiting. The wife lost a day of work to go. Ever try to get a family doctor? I know people who've been on waiting lists for 4+ years.

Good education: up to and through high school, sure. But what does that qualify you for? Approximately nothing. You can flip burgers at McDonald's after that if you want. Want to go to Uni? Be prepared to carry debt for 5+ (often 10+) years after school

Good food? Good luck. Fruits and veggies are meh at best and cost a fortune. A head of iceberg lettuce is $6 where I am right now. Red peppers at $4.99/lb Steak? $39-49/kilo for any cut that isn't shit. Dairy sucks (Europeans that drank milk or have eaten butter here know what I'm talking about). Restaurants are prohibitively expensive for anywhere that isn't just reheating industrial garbage.

Also, Canadians aren't nice. They're polite. There's a difference. They'll say sorry if you bump into them but politeness will overshadow honesty. You ask a Canadian if they wanna hang out sometime, if they do want to, the Canadian will say"Yeah, totally, we should " and then tell people you suck once you're not around.

It's cold here. And spring takes FOREVER to be done with. And then summer is too hot. And the mosquitoes, don't even get me started...

I think that's it for now. Canada ain't the worst, but FAR from the best.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by RoadMozart(m): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2023
Honestly I'm touched by this your story.... I think we should swap. Maybe you come to 9ja while I take your place there. Because to me all these complains are nothing compared to what's going on in 9ja

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by busybay: 10:20pm On Apr 04, 2023
Oga come back naw. Nawa o. Nigerians sef....una own tire me. Make the world just end. Okay, which country is better than Canada?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by silvoclaira: 10:21pm On Apr 04, 2023
You just compared Canada with Naija, up-side-downnnn

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Lemos14: 10:34pm On Apr 04, 2023
amigo1088:
And here's why :

Easy access to housing, easy access to free healthcare, easy access to good education, easy access to quality food.

Housing here is BRUTAL. Try to buy a house for less than 350k that isn't a piece of shit. You can't. Or you can and it's so far in the middle of nowhere that the cost of getting to and from anywhere negate any savings you've made in your purchase.

Easy access to free healthcare; ever had to go to an emergency room here? My friend's son broke his thumb a couple years ago (at 5 years old). Did we get seen? Sure. After 7.5 HOURS of waiting. The wife lost a day of work to go. Ever try to get a family doctor? I know people who've been on waiting lists for 4+ years.

Good education: up to and through high school, sure. But what does that qualify you for? Approximately nothing. You can flip burgers at McDonald's after that if you want. Want to go to Uni? Be prepared to carry debt for 5+ (often 10+) years after school

Good food? Good luck. Fruits and veggies are meh at best and cost a fortune. A head of iceberg lettuce is $6 where I am right now. Red peppers at $4.99/lb Steak? $39-49/kilo for any cut that isn't shit. Dairy sucks (Europeans that drank milk or have eaten butter here know what I'm talking about). Restaurants are prohibitively expensive for anywhere that isn't just reheating industrial garbage.

Also, Canadians aren't nice. They're polite. There's a difference. They'll say sorry if you bump into them but politeness will overshadow honesty. You ask a Canadian if they wanna hang out sometime, if they do want to, the Canadian will say"Yeah, totally, we should " and then tell people you suck once you're not around.

It's cold here. And spring takes FOREVER to be done with. And then summer is too hot. And the mosquitoes, don't even get me started...

Boya you should come back to Nigeria and allow us to hear word abeg. Your talk wont stop people from going to canada if they wish

12 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Ihateheadslamer: 10:45pm On Apr 04, 2023
Like if you want this thread on the front page tongue
Lemos14:

Boya you should come back to Nigeria and allow us to hear word abeg. Your talk wont stop people from going to canada if they wish

6 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:48pm On Apr 04, 2023
I don't understand what the hell is wrong with Nigerians. Nigeria is bad, UK is bad, USA is horrible, Canada is bad, Brazil is bad, mexico is a shithole. They are killing in Dubai. They eat human beings in Japan. Why are you guys so fucking ungrateful Jesus. Please be coming back to Nigeria and come and enjoy all you have written here in Nigeria.

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Weknowbetter: 11:06pm On Apr 04, 2023
IN NAIJA WE CANT EVEN SPEND OUR LITTLE MONEY FOR GOODS unless we do transactionswith fees. Prices are high service is low. No Electricity at times, unpaved dusty streets, sewer smell, police robbing, can't venture out at night, crowded stink buses, roads a death trap, no insurance or disability. And the worst problem NO OPPORTUNITY TO DO BETTER

11 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by MetroLane: 11:15pm On Apr 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
I don't understand what the hell is wrong with Nigerians. Nigeria is bad, UK is bad, USA is horrible, Canada is bad, Brazil is bad, mexico is a shithole. They are killing in Dubai. They eat human beings in Japan. Why are you guys so fucking ungrateful Jesus. Please be coming back to Nigeria and come and enjoy all you have written here in Nigeria.

And me I like every other bad places very well....... infact I made a list of bad places I want to visit, bad places like Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Portugal.

I'm tired of good places like Nigeria.......

See, even if Nigerians go to heaven, they'll still complain.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Gerrard59(m): 11:29pm On Apr 04, 2023
amigo1088:
And here's why :

Obviously a copied post. But let's assume it is real, what stops you from departing Canada? It is literally that easy. In fact, leaving Canada is harder than entering. So do the needful!

10 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Kenn55: 11:33pm On Apr 04, 2023
amigo1088:
And here's why :

This shows how poor your judgment is. You are not intelligent one bit.
Moving from one country to another is one of the most important decisions one can make in life, it can make or mar you. Getting the right visa to make the move is not even cheap and stress free.

Before deciding to even start the process of getting a visa to relocate, smart people do comprehensive research about where they are going to see if it fits into their short,medium or long term goals. They see if the system they are about to enter fits their philosophy.

So all you are telling us is that you didn't know where you were going or how things are or work before you carried ya ass down there. Because, if you did your research, you would have known and probably not bothered relocating since you don't like what you will see. Instead, it took you by surprise. What a poor judgment you exhibited

Relocating abroad whether Canada or any other country is not for everyone. Some people have no business leaving their village sef not to talk of even relocating to Lagos.

It is not about Canada, it is you not being intelligent to know before you went, except you tell me that the Canadian government begged you to come.

My advice for you is to return to Nigeria immediately now you have discovered yourself . The worst thing that can happen to someone who is angry like this is to keep staying and slip into depression. It's not worth it.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Originalsly: 11:43pm On Apr 04, 2023
Come back and allow somebody else to take your place will be the cry of the ignorant. Did the OP say Canada is bad? Before commenting people should find out what overrated means .... either they don't know... or are simply illiterate. This should be a thread of enlightenment.... especially how sooo many have been touting how good Canada is to immigrants. OP probably was victim of the hype ... and got there to find out the real deal .... now he is informing who may be interested but we don't want to hear word.
Nice one OP ... scatter seed ... some will fall on fertile soil and take root ... most will fall on infertile soil....wouldn't grow.... lots of infertile soil here on NL.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by juman(m): 12:39am On Apr 05, 2023
If we have those things stated here in nigeria, we would consider ourselves in paradise.

4 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by udede(m): 3:48am On Apr 05, 2023
RoadMozart:
Honestly I'm touched by this your story.... I think we should swap. Maybe you come to 9ja while I take your place there. Because to me all these complains are nothing compared to what's going on in 9ja
hmmm and now Tinubu don det k leg join the already existing wahala
Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Regex: 3:59am On Apr 05, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigerians are the most ungrateful set of people in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Natbrowny: 4:52am On Apr 05, 2023
2nd to the last paragraph.

COLD KILL U THERE.
DAT COLD MUST KILL U.

COME BACK NA.

2 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Saga16: 6:06am On Apr 05, 2023
You are talking to people who haven't experienced any excitement or alternative in their lives .

They would never understand.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Mercury12(m): 7:00am On Apr 05, 2023
Make I no even mention any other things wey Nigerians dey go through but if emifiele grab your gbola and drag am like generator like he do everybody for Naija. You go run back to your Canada. undecided

1 Like

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:41am On Apr 05, 2023
Regex:

Nigerians are the most ungrateful set of people in the world.

As in eh the whining is so annoying especially the new set that went to the UK. They won't allow one rest on social media.

1 Like

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Regex: 7:50am On Apr 05, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

As in eh the whining is so annoying especially the new set that went to the UK. They won't allow one rest on social media.

The winging is too much. UK this, Canada that... Na only USA weh I never hear cap like that and it's looking like USA is a serious deal and would not leave one with time to come online and winge. I mean first of all, you will have to be really under the reader to actually have a stand in USA else the government will fish you out and deport you. So all man is on one one leg...

2 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by efembaba(m): 8:17am On Apr 05, 2023
I think those of you bashing the op for complaining should just ask one question, are these claims actually true?

If yes, then you should listen to reason.

Canada is not the only place one can go if you won't like all those things he listed.

Let's not throw reason to the gutters because of sentiments

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by thesicilian: 8:38am On Apr 05, 2023
RoadMozart:
I think some of you guys don't just get the point. Anytime anyone criticises a foreign country the next thing is "come back home." "Let's swap" etc. Sometimes these warnings are being given so that whoever is planning to emigrate to these countries can make adequate preparations and plannings ahead, you don't just borrow money and travel with the hope of hitting it big abroad, everything you do has to be strategic

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by culkid: 8:59am On Apr 05, 2023
amigo1088:
And here's why :

Nothing but the truth. Op is not saying he wants to leave or that Nigeria is better, he just shared some facts about Canada.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by BigDawsNet: 9:01am On Apr 05, 2023
Everywhere is overrated... you just have to make the best out if it...

If you wanna come, come.. everyone should account fir dere decisions.. I'm pretty sure many people will love it here

2 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Skyciel: 9:34am On Apr 05, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Nigerians can never be satisfied.
Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by sharpwriter(m): 9:40am On Apr 05, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Nigerians want paradise /heaven... Afterall kingdom of heaven and al jannah is the hallmark of Nigerians' religion grin grin
Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by layzie: 10:51am On Apr 05, 2023
thesicilian:

I think some of you guys don't just get the point. Anytime anyone criticises a foreign country the next thing is "come back home." "Let's swap" etc. Sometimes these warnings are being given so that whoever is planning to emigrate to these countries can make adequate preparations and plannings ahead, you don't just borrow money and travel with the hope of hitting it big abroad, everything you do has to be strategic

Majority don't read to understand. And others follow the mob ignorantly. Not just in this Japa stories but on many other important issues. Like someone said, some seeds will fall on fertile ground, others on rocks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by Bankowner: 11:54am On Apr 05, 2023
Bro!

Which province are you in in Canada?

1. There are still places you can get a house, maybe one bedroom house, for $350k. You only need to go further north.

2. Agreed that accessing Healthcare can be brutal, but it doesn't affect immigrants only. Canadians suffer the same experience. It is still better than the Nigerian health system.

3. High school grads get good jobs here, at least here in Hamilton.

4. Food/fruits I can't say because I don't know where you are. But in Hamilton, they are still affordable. Worse case, go to a food bank. I can confirm though that buying Nigerian food items at African stores can be expensive. Last time I shopped with $120, I kind of wondered what it was I bought.

5. Is everyone ever nice to you in Nigeria? Be nice to people, and they'll be nice to you too.

6. Spring here is not so cold, equivalent of rainy season in Nigeria and it is only for 3 months. March to May. Winter is the cold season, you and I know you should dress for it.

7. Mosquitoes? Where? I hardly see houseflies, talk less of mosquitoes.

12 Likes

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by dangoteinlaw: 12:33pm On Apr 05, 2023
Op did you mention mosquitoes, am AA my body loves mosquitoes so can we swap location pls and god will bless u as you do. Yeye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by bobkezel(m): 1:28pm On Apr 05, 2023
Op is very correct.
Canada no follow at all.
There is no electricity here in canada and when it comes transformer blows up.
Here in Canada the fuel scarcity no be here o.
No traffic light, just drive as you like.
Here in Canada, after your bsc you can not get any good job except you know somebody.
The mosquitos here in canada dey very wicked. They suck your blood with straw.
The gutters are smelling like mad.
Government schools in Canada are useless, you can only get relative good education in private schools.
Thieves everywhere at the parks waiting to snatch ur bags.
This Canada don taya me abeg. I want to come back to Nigeria.
No place like home.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by hinograce: 2:06pm On Apr 05, 2023
It’s not as bad. About housing you can buy an old house of say 10 to 20years old for a decent amount. . There are ways around everything you mentioned. You can goto farmers market or buy things when on sales. How about buying no name brands from super store or great value from Walmart, my dear thank God you are here. The best thing is you can travel to over 180 countries visa free if you finally have a Canadian passport.
amigo1088:
And here's why :

Re: Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated by madscientist88(m): 2:32pm On Apr 05, 2023
busybay:
Oga come back naw. Nawa o. Nigerians sef....una own tire me. Make the world just end. Okay, which country is better than Canada?
Germany and Switzerland?lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

State Of Texas - Important Information Inside / My Letter To Nigerians Living And Studying In Western Countries / Transit Visa to Nassau Bahamas : Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.