Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,766 members, 7,831,458 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka (1605 Views)

Man Who Asked Peter Obi About IPOB At Chatham House, Turns Out To Be APC Member / I Will Check Excesses Of Lagos Touts – Jandor / Governors’ Excesses In Implementation Of COVID-19 Lockdown Measures (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by PlatinumTimesng: 12:31pm On Apr 05, 2023
Prof. Wole Soyinka, Nobel Laureate, says he cautioned Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, on excesses of the his supporters, otherwise known as ‘Obidients.’

Soyinka, stated this in a statement titled, “Media responsibility,’’ on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the elder statesman said his recent interview with Channels Television was misrepresented, with his remarks rendered unrecognisable.

The TV station had aired a one and half-hour interview with Soyinka a week ago on Monday.

Soyinka maintained that his rejection of fascism wasn’t new and that on three occasions, he was able to send a message to Obi, that, if he lost the election, it would be his followers who lost it for him.

He stated, “What I have read – at least, thus far – this morning, extracted from a one-and-a-half long interview, conducted a week ago with Channels Television, brings once more to the fore, the critical responsibility of the media in transmitting the spoken, even recorded word to the public.

“This is especially crucial in a time of civic uncertainty. When remarks are taken out of context, spliced into a new one, provided a sensational headline, distortions become stamped on public receptivity, and the central intent of one’s remarks becomes completely unrecognisable.

“I denounced the menacing utterances of a vice-presidential aspirant as unbecoming. It was a gladiatorial challenge directed at the judiciary and, by implication, the rest of the democratic polity.

“But what on earth has happened to my even more urgent condemnation of the physical violence inflicted on those designated “strangers” in Lagos in the lead up to, and during governorship elections?

“This prejudicial selectivity is a betrayal of trust, and I find it contemptuous of public deserving. My critique of incipient fascism in the movement remains grounded in indisputable evidence.”

Soyinka stated that throughout the interview, he continued to stress that the final word had yet to be pronounced on the elections – “that omission renders the full message tendentious!”

“My rejection of fascism is nothing new. On three occasions, I was able to send a message to Peter Obi that if he lost the election, it would be his followers who lost it for him. It was depressing to watch his lieutenant, a crucially positioned voice of a movement that has ‘broken the mould’, threaten the totality of social existence.

“Whatever our ideological leaning, is Donald Trump the ideal template for a burgeoning democracy in the nation?”

He stated that he also remained concerned by the alleged complaint by him of people not following “instructions.”

“If words are garbled in recording, the speaker can be reached for clarification – else, simply leave out the unclear section completely to avoid misrepresentation. After all, piecemeal transmission is legitimate proceeding, as long as a part is not presented as the whole.

“I am not a member of the Labour Party, so how can giving ‘instructions’ become my role? Like a number of others, I have admittedly contributed to the making of this moment – going back several years – and it is painful to have the followers of such a movement, send it slithering backwards and down the fascistic slope, ” Soyinka said.

https://platinumtimes.ng/i-warned-peter-obi-about-his-supporters-antics-wole-soyinka/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by cktheluckyman: 12:32pm On Apr 05, 2023
Did you caution Tinubu on the activities of his thugs in Lagos?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by scholarsfunding: 12:36pm On Apr 05, 2023
First Caution Drug lord Lagos Thugs

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 05, 2023
To be sincere, SOME of these Obidients dey overdo. Just go to Twitter

But some of Tinubu's followers aren't any better. Maybe even worse when you consider the thuggery, disorderly conduct and so on

P.S. I have no affiliation with any candidate/party.

3 Likes

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Ceenachi: 12:49pm On Apr 05, 2023
All the atrocities of Buhari, How much of warning did you issue him

I watched this Tinubu boy talking trash on ARISE TV and refusing to answer important question thrown at him.

Ayo: which part of Datti statement do you find unbecoming?

Soyinka: I can't hear you but still answered a different thing. Question was repeated severally by Ayo but he kept beating around the bush.

The same Wole Soyinka that protested against Good luck Jonathan with Buhari, Tinubu, El rufai and Atiku and a protest that even lead to lost of many life's has remained adamant and can't speak or hear anymore that he can't lead a protest throughout Buhari 8 years of suffering or condemn statements from APC and and it's followers but fast enough to come on TV to condemn Datti for saying what is right and what our democracy will look like if the wrong thing is done

The same man that called GEJ wife Hippopotamus because he was supporting Buhari.
Hypocrisy is a cardinal sin.

SHAME

4 Likes

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by paramakina202: 12:51pm On Apr 05, 2023
lorenzobanks:
Prof! They would continue their animalistic character here. They are dumb and foolish. Obidients movement will be a plague that people would avoid in the future. If you like quote me na you know. But, Obi will never get the number seat in the country. We don't want another fascist! Obi and Buhari have things in common which is nepotism, and failure. Obi inherited the structure of churches and he claimed that he does not have structure. Reason, they were desperate for RCCG structure. They wanted to bully papa Adeboye to inherit his structure. Obi ti cast! Nothing for him again.

But the people doing violence online and offline are Tinubu mob of thugs to defend their stolen mandate.

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Stolenmandate1: 12:57pm On Apr 05, 2023
Was the process followed or not?
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by OmotolaBoy(m): 12:57pm On Apr 05, 2023
Peter The Rock!

2 Likes

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by mrvitalis(m): 1:00pm On Apr 05, 2023
I have been asking

what has obidients done that Tinubu supporters haven't done worse .... somebody mention one

Mention one person just mention one person obidients has attacked without that person. Attacking them or trying to belittle their efforts just mention one

Answer the above and get 50k

Been asking for 6 months

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by manutdrichie(m): 1:01pm On Apr 05, 2023
Who be this one again?
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by traihit: 1:15pm On Apr 05, 2023
UnusualEmissary:
To be sincere, SOME of these Obidients dey overdo. Just go to Twitter

But some of Tinubu's followers aren't any better. Maybe even worse when you consider the thuggery, disorderly conduct and so on

P.S. I have no affiliation with any candidate/party.
If those obedients didn't "overdo", they would have been silenced a long time ago

Their bullish behavior is why the Obedient movement is still much alive even though I'm also against trolling and bullying.

But in Yoruba land, they say "were la fi n wo were" (We cure madness using madness)

2 Likes

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Betanaija42moro: 1:59pm On Apr 05, 2023
Peter Obi's followers are mostly victims of bad leadership by the corrupt politicians.

How do you expect these set of the youths to be happy. Nothing is working, people are suffering and drowning into poverty on daily basis. Most youths are just hopeless and don't know where the next meal will come from.

4 Likes

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 05, 2023
This one nah corn-fused fellow
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by stevonics: 2:12pm On Apr 05, 2023
Do you have the register and identity of his supporters. Are they under Obi command and control. This insult is getting unbearable. Obi have not even said anything

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by alanto: 2:19pm On Apr 05, 2023
Obi supporters are the proverbial fly
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by codedguy1(m): 2:30pm On Apr 05, 2023
sad

Just coming to speak big grammar. A group of demonic rogues masquerading as politicians have destroyed the future of the youths in this country and you want them to be cautioned by the person they feel will be able to put things right especially after a flawed election where he has gone to court to challenge the selected outcome.

Where was Soyinka when Mc Oluomo was threatening people and INEC was selecting a drug Lord as winner of an election.

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Ballotti: 2:36pm On Apr 05, 2023
Typical COWARD FROM THE WASTELANDS of SOUTH WESTERN GETTO OF NIGERIA. cheesy

Always talking from both sides of his mouth. . . .OLD AGBAYA!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Nickymezor(f): 2:50pm On Apr 05, 2023
Did baba vote @ all?
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by DesChyko: 2:54pm On Apr 05, 2023
And what would Peter Obi have done about that? Control each of us from our houses?

I think people are having a hard time differentiating citizens from sycophants.

Peter Obi is enjoying our support because of what he stands for; he cannot dictate for us how we choose to support him. He isn't our paymaster unlike what is obtainable with the other party.
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by GeneralPula: 2:59pm On Apr 05, 2023
Terrorist no dey hear word easily..
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Godfullsam(m): 3:05pm On Apr 05, 2023
DesChyko:
And what would Peter Obi have done about that? Control each of us from our houses?

I think people are having a hard time differentiating citizens from sycophants.

Peter Obi is enjoying our support because of what he stands for; he cannot dictate for us how we choose to support him. He isn't our paymaster unlike what is obtainable with the other party.

So because he is not your pay Master you guys decided to ruin his chance of becoming the president abi.

If you want to be paid before you can coordinate yourselves, why not go and join other parties where you can be given stipend?

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by ElSudani: 3:35pm On Apr 05, 2023
"On three occasions, I was able to send a message to Peter Obi that if he lost the election, it would be his followers who lost it for him."

He never cautioned them, instead he would say his opponents were behind it.
Obidients are IPOB without the berets and Biafran flags.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by highchief1: 3:47pm On Apr 05, 2023
Betanaija42moro:
Peter Obi's followers are mostly victims of bad leadership by the corrupt politicians.

How do you expect these set of the youths to be happy. Nothing is working, people are suffering and drowning into poverty on daily basis. Most youths are just hopeless and don't know where the next meal will come from.
can u stop this?how did u come to the conclusion that the hardship in Nigeria is only reserved for obidients?How u react to adversity matters a lot.becoming hostile and threatening and insulting ppl up and down is never the best way to go.Do u know how many of us that hated Obi because of obidients?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by Straybullet: 3:49pm On Apr 05, 2023
This useless old fool is talking also
Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by sisisioge: 3:54pm On Apr 05, 2023
Soyinka can speak english sha....so eloquent and sound. Channels TV need to be restructured, they are fast losing their credibility.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by ConfidentialDoc: 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2023
Betanaija42moro:

Ironically, they're also victims of PO's bad leadership in Anambra too. But they don't even realize.

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by abobote: 5:01pm On Apr 05, 2023
No matter our level of education, we are tribalistic in nature.
Holding Peter Obi responsible for the behaviors of his supporters, but could not Tinubu for the activities of his supporters in Lagos, including threats to life, all the killings and burning of shops in Lagos

1 Like

Re: I Cautioned Peter Obi About The Excesses Of His Followers – Soyinka by DesChyko: 8:03pm On Apr 05, 2023
Godfullsam:

So because he is not your pay Master you guys decided to ruin his chance of becoming the president abi.

Show me the total number of votes LP scored in each of the Presidential elections before this year so I can be sure you're not talking out of foolishness 🤔

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Voter Bemoans Increase In The Price Of Cooking Gas / What The Conflict Between Israel And Palestinians Has Taught Me About Nigerians / War Against Drug Trafficking Total, Says Ndlea Boss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.