Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,929 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) (19962 Views)

Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe Slams Brain Drain Bill / Medical Brain Drain In Zimbabwe: Government Blocks UK-Bound Nurses (Video) / Buhari Directs Health Minister To Turn Brain Drain To Brain Gain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by Bluehole: 9:56pm On Apr 07, 2023
Is04970:
There are arguments for and against the bill but I'll tilt towards the Reps.
If you desire to practice in UK or US as a medical practitioner why not school there and pay huge fees for your training?
Why get your education in Nigeria with taxpayers money and end up not being useful for Nigeria?
The hospitals in Nigeria aren't equipped ;Yes. So also the airports, seaports, the roads are bad etc but if the country manages to train you to become a doctor it behoves on you to manage to practice there.

PS:
The same law should be applied to Agricultural Economists, Land Surveyors etc the day we start having shortage of those professionals in Nigeria.

Half measures to any thing in life creates room for argumentations and resistance. For instance, you have ten tablets for malaria treatment and after taking five, you stop because you are feeling better. The malaria strain will develop resistance to such drugs in future.

Half salary creates room for argumentations and someone will bear that brunt. What if we ban politicians from going abroad for anything while in office? Why denying others what you can't deny yourself?
Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by koldej(m): 5:18pm On Apr 08, 2023
Is04970:
There are arguments for and against the bill but I'll tilt towards the Reps.
If you desire to practice in UK or US as a medical practitioner why not school there and pay huge fees for your training?
Why get your education in Nigeria with taxpayers money and end up not being useful for Nigeria?
The hospitals in Nigeria aren't equipped ;Yes. So also the airports, seaports, the roads are bad etc but if the country manages to train you to become a doctor it behoves on you to manage to practice there.

PS:
The same law should be applied to Agricultural Economists, Land Surveyors etc the day we start having shortage of those professionals in Nigeria.

Because the education is free? And students are not paying school fees ? I know what I went through before I was able to afford a 4year school fees
Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by armadeo(m): 12:34pm On Apr 10, 2023
bahaushe1:

Why not apply the bill to ALL NIGERIAN trained graduates then?

I've been waiting for this. If this is applied to everyone then it's fine. If not its discrimination everybody got the chance to have subsidised education not just doctors

1 Like

Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by armadeo(m): 12:44pm On Apr 10, 2023
1stallon:

The tuition fees to study MBBS in the UK ranges from £38,000 to £50,000 every year that’s about 35- 48 million every year… let Nigerian medical students pay half of that every year and see if our hospitals and medical schools won’t be the best in the world!!

I assume that medical school fees in Nigeria is about 50% more than the other courses. I know you won't see where I am going with this so let me break it down. If the medical student pays 25k per year , the physics students would have to pay at least 12k per year. ...

So rethink your argument. Its all about ratios.
Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by armadeo(m): 12:47pm On Apr 10, 2023
austinvsb:

I don't blame then either. Everyone would opt for a better life 100% of the time!

Otoh, I also understand the FG, they subsidize the training of medical students and other professionals by A LOT only for same professionals to run out after to another country after they have trained and spent on.

You guys make it sound as if the government is doing you a favour by subsidising education. Loool. Your educational fees has a direct correlation with your buying power as citizens. I.e poor country cheap education.

Everybody has access to cheap education and Even at that not everyone can afford it.
Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by austinvsb: 12:57pm On Apr 10, 2023
armadeo:

You guys make it sound as if the government is doing you a favour by subsidising education. Loool. Your educational fees has a direct correlation with your buying power as citizens. I.e poor country cheap education.

Everybody has access to cheap education and Even at that not everyone can afford it.

This is such nonsense! Do countries like Germany, Belgium, austria, Sweden etc with free or cheap education have low buying power too?

Common sense is free.
Re: NIMSA Opposes The Brain Drain Bill (Official Statement) by armadeo(m): 2:32pm On Apr 10, 2023
austinvsb:

This is such nonsense! Do countries like Germany, Belgium, austria, Sweden etc with free or cheap education have low buying power too?

Common sense is free.

Why is that I wonder.

Two different sets of countries with cheap education. One has a higher buying power than the other yet education is cheap in both.
Go figure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

9 COVID-19 Patients Die In Anambra State / All Doses Of Experimental Ebola Drug Sent To west Africa / Birth Control Methods Pros And Cons Of Each Method

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.