Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,790 members, 7,827,924 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down (16796 Views)

Speakership Race: Gbajabiamila, Wase In Public Spat / Speakership Race: Betara Meets Members-elect In Saudi Arabia (pics) / Princess Miriam Onuoha: APC Wins Okigwe North Federal Constituency Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by dre11(m): 8:58pm On Apr 12, 2023
Miriam Onuoha, a member of the House of Representatives from Imo State, has officially declared interest in contesting the speakership election.

Ms Onuoha, who represents Okigwe North Federal Constituency in Imo State, made the declaration Wednesday in Abuja.

She urged all the men in the race to step down for her in the interest of the inclusion of women, youth and the South-east geopolitical zone.

“In almost about 90 positions of this country, the men have dominated it. Ceding this one position to me will be a way of proving that we are running an inclusive government.

“I use this opportunity to call on my co-contestants — my male contestants to consider the love and the care Nigerian voters have shown to them, and as a matter of honour, step down to support this woman.

“I call on the male contestants to step down in the interest of peace and understanding if Nigeria and our democracy must advance, my candidature has to be pushed,” she said.

Ninth Assembly not rubber stamp

When responding to questions on the performance of the 9th Assembly, Ms Onuoha said she disagrees with the assertion that the current assembly has been a rubber stamp to the executive.

She promised to work with the executive arm and the president-elect, Bola Tinubu if she is elected by her colleagues.

“I disagree with the assertion that the assembly is a rubber stamp assembly, I have chosen as one of the mandates that I will work with the executive in the interest of Nigeria,” he said.

She also stated that she will avoid the “banana peel” that caused the downfall of a former Speaker, Patricia Etteh.

Ms Etteh was elected speaker in 2007 but subsequently resigned about five months later over a “corruption allegation”.

Ms Onuoha was first elected into the House in 2015 under the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). She returned to the House in 2020 after the court sacked Obinna Onwubuariri.

She currently chairs the House Committee on Disabilities and is also known for sponsoring the controversial Cannabis Bill.

The Imo lawmaker is the latest in the long list of members that have joined the race.

Some of the lawmakers in the speakership race include Deputy Speaker Idris Wase (APC, Plateau), Yusuf Gagdi (APC, Plateau), Muktar Betara (APC, Borno), Ben Kalu (APC, Abia), Sada Soli (APC, Katsina), Tunji Olawuyi (APC, Kwara) and Abubakar Makki (APC, Jigawa).

Others include Tajudeen Abbas (APC, Kaduna) and Aminu Jaji (APC, Zamfara).

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/593018-female-rep-joins-speakership-race-asks-male-candidates-to-step-down.html

8 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Ahmed0336(m): 9:07pm On Apr 12, 2023
Nawa o, The struggle for speakership and Senate wan turn play.

12 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by OneCandleAway(f): 9:10pm On Apr 12, 2023
I swear if I'm given head of disability commitee as house of reps member I will NOT take it.

Of all commitees?

4 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Mystic216: 9:13pm On Apr 12, 2023
Hehehehe
Wahala wahala

1 Like

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by chatinent: 9:15pm On Apr 12, 2023
Women are also legal citizens!

9 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2023
Is it make up or artificial intelligence? You people are way two different

2 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by advanceDNA: 9:26pm On Apr 12, 2023
They should step down ??
Is that not witch craft??...what is it with women and getting everything easily ??

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Caramia2020(m): 9:26pm On Apr 12, 2023
The last female speaker was a disaster, Patricia Etteh I think.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Isheoma: 9:37pm On Apr 12, 2023
I think they should give her a chance o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by RamseyKush: 8:21am On Apr 13, 2023
Everybody Sha wan chop him share of the national cake grin grin

Stupid country

3 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by PulaPower: 8:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Lol..

She looks kinda appealing tho..

36 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by creolehunt: 8:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Stupid talk. Step down for you for what? What happened to the equality younjave always canvassed? Or does equality only matter when it favors you?

19 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by SaturnNick(m): 8:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Wow... This woman fine well well grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by nepapole(m): 8:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Lmao
Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Agbadocassava: 8:22am On Apr 13, 2023
Etteh comes to mind.

O fe d’Etteh sibe…

6 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Maynman: 8:23am On Apr 13, 2023
chatinent:
Women are also legal citizen!

So as male citizens, let them all compete legally.

22 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by lawrenzooo: 8:23am On Apr 13, 2023
I hate it when women behave as though they are handicapped by gender. You want to be speaker contest legally and win just like any other contestant.

Kudos to all the women who are standing out in their area of endeavor!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by 13xdcyf: 8:23am On Apr 13, 2023
Free!!

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Military0001: 8:23am On Apr 13, 2023
Ok
Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Dbegining: 8:23am On Apr 13, 2023
See entitlement mentality!!

Others should step down, your candidature "must be pushed"

See this is the same mentality with many ladies. No doubt she will be a disaster!

If e sure for you why you dey tell others to step down?🙄🙄😒😒

21 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Patrioticman007(m): 8:23am On Apr 13, 2023
Ahmed0336:
Nawa o, The struggle for speakership and Senate wan turn play.

Madam Eteh showed Nigerians pepper that year, hope this one is not her 2.0 version.

2 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Harrynight(m): 8:24am On Apr 13, 2023
😂

The males folks will just be laughing at her cos her interest will bring back memories of Patricia Etteh

8 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by easyfem(m): 8:24am On Apr 13, 2023
What woman can not do , does not exist

1 Like

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Triangles1(m): 8:24am On Apr 13, 2023
What can fa...... But women belong to the other.........

1 Like

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by 17bbbyv: 8:25am On Apr 13, 2023
Damn!
Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by Oluwaseunomo: 8:25am On Apr 13, 2023
Who's this idiot that belongs in the other room

35 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by callmevirus(m): 8:26am On Apr 13, 2023
They should give her a chance

But Patricia Etteh messed up
Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by adexpa(m): 8:26am On Apr 13, 2023
It's good as she declared interest, but why asking male to step down. The best thing canvas members to support her rather than been gender psychological.
I wish her the best

6 Likes

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by thisisit: 8:27am On Apr 13, 2023
Caramia2020:
The last female speaker was a disaster, Patricia Etteh I think.

LETS GIVE WOMEN A CHANCE FOR THE SAKE OF GENDER EQUITY. TOO MANY MEN ALREADY. SEE LIST BELOW

DIMEJI BANKOLE
FEMI GBAJABIAMILA
PATRICIA ETTEH
YAKUBU DOGARA
AMINU TAMBUWA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by callmevirus(m): 8:27am On Apr 13, 2023
Oluwaseunomo:
Who's this idiot that belongs in the other room

Your Mom
Re: Miriam Onuoha Joins Speakership Race, Asks Male Candidates To Step Down by lexy2014: 8:27am On Apr 13, 2023
Isheoma:
I think they should give her a chance o

Who is not giving her a chance?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari To Debate Jonathan / Dasuki Said I Should Give Jonathan’s Cousin $40m – Witness / Reno Omokri: "Senator Ovie Omo-Agege Now Behaving Like An Agege Tout"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.