Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,938 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. (15904 Views)

Between The Yorubas,hausa And Igbos Who Is More Intelligence / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2011
lol @ chinenye
Ijaws and Rivers pple in general are open minded when it comes to marriage
we dont really give a damn abt where yr partner comes from
well they are many igbos in Rivers state so dey marry Rivers pple
for example, the pictures I posted earlier the girl Is igbo but she grew up in Portharcourt and ended up getting married to a Rivers man

Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:04pm On Sep 26, 2011
It's not that I recently got to know. I've always known, but I've just been finding it increasingly annoying as the years went by.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ak47mann(m): 3:48pm On Sep 26, 2011
interesting cool
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:51pm On Sep 26, 2011
ijaw_girl, what's so funny? Can't you just answer the question as to why you people marry those you supposedly hate?
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by lakal(m): 4:10pm On Sep 26, 2011
I think the Ijaw-Igbo controversy goes back to the days of European colonization when the Ijaws suddenly became wealthy middlemen, and the Igbos, in essence, overran them by dint of numbers during the later colonial era.

But Ijaws are not the only ones guilty of badmouthing another ethnic group and marrying them -- Hausa-Igbo and Yoruba-Igbo marriages are not uncommon, and yet Igbos have plenty of negative things to say about both groups,
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2011
lakal, yea, but I doubt you can honestly tell yourself that Igbo hate Yoruba and Hausa.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 5:13pm On Sep 26, 2011
ijaw_girl, what's so funny? Can't you just answer the question as to why you people marry those you supposedly hate?
ChinenyeN:

Those pics posted by ijaw_girl even annoy me. This whole topic of marriage with those Rivers people annoys me. It would be nice if all those marriages ended.

so na all Ijaw pple wey hate igbo pple?

u marry a person that makes you happy regardless of  his/her ethnic group. U view a person based on their character nd not where they come from.

You are acting as if Ijaw pple are dying and praying to marry Igbos.
If igbos believe Ijaw pple hate them Y do they go on and marry Ijaws?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:26pm On Sep 26, 2011
ijaw_girl:

If igbos believe Ijaw pple hate them Y do they go on and marry Ijaws?
I've already asked my Ngwa people that question. They failed to give any sensible answers. History and proximity seem to be the only things I can point to and accuse.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 6:20pm On Sep 26, 2011
The fact is Igbos of SE shares more similarities with rivers pple compared 2 other Nigerians. dats y Intermarriage is common btw Igbo and rivers pple. Most people prefer to marry someone who shares his/her same interests, whether they are cultural, religion, language, etc
Most rivers pple speak their own dialect of igbo, we eat the same food and have similar culture practices with Igbos of SE. .

Rivers pple know dey have Igbo heritage but[b] we have a problem when the Igbos of SE say we are Igbo.[/b]
and also Igbos act like dey are trying 2 claim the whole rivers state = we own portharcourt, we own opobo, bonny etc

1 Like

Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:02pm On Sep 26, 2011
This is the first time I've heard any Ijo say anything like what you've just said. I memala (I mielamam). You've answered.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by nusdog: 7:20pm On Sep 26, 2011
Rivers pple know dey have Igbo
heritage but we have a problem
when the Igbos of SE say we
are Igbo.

Ijaw_girl, I honestly think you'll be doing a big favour by speaking for yourself and for those you personally know. Not all Rivers people disclaim being Igbos. I know a couple of Igbos from Rivers state on a personal level.

Refrain from making a generalization as above.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 7:30pm On Sep 26, 2011
ijaw_girl:

The fact is Igbos of SE shares more similarities with rivers pple compared 2 other Nigerians. dats y Intermarriage is common btw Igbo and rivers pple. Most people prefer to marry someone who shares his/her same interests, whether they are cultural, religion, language, etc
Most rivers pple speak their own dialect of igbo, we eat the same food and have similar culture practices with Igbos of SE. .

Rivers pple know dey have Igbo heritage but[b] we have a problem when the Igbos of SE say we are Igbo.[/b]
and also Igbos act like dey are trying 2 claim the whole rivers state = we own portharcourt, we own opobo, bonny etc

On the bolded, you are totally wrong. Ndigbo do not claim they own the entire Port Harcourt. A very large chunk of Port Harcourt is Ikwerreland and this Ikwerre people are Igbo by nature. On Bonny and Opobo, there are Igbo elements there. The truth is that you Ijaw do not want anything Igbo to be associated with Bonny and Opobo. Also, you Ijaw do not want Ikwerre to be seen as Igbo. You Ijaw people prefer Igbo to be reduced to only the south east. Even some of the photographs of the Ikwerre wedding you have been posting in this thread can attest to that. You labelled it Ikwerre instead of Igbo just as it will suit you Ijaw people.
I remember sometime ago when I quoted verbatim what the current King of Opobo said at Ahiajoku festival where he claimed his Igbo heritage, your only response was to insult me. Why do you peeps feel insecured when the truth is told?.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by OneNaira6: 7:39pm On Sep 26, 2011
Who cares? 
If Ijo hates igbo people then that's there own business.  We should stop caring about who or what hate or envy us. 
Igbo should just continue to do our own thing, getting better at it and making a living from it; Put it all in all just give them more reason to hate or envy us.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by OneNaira6: 7:42pm On Sep 26, 2011
ijaw_girl:

You should speak for yourself. I've personally met men and women from rivers that view themselves as Igbo. I've met ikwerre that call themselves Igbo.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 8:07pm On Sep 26, 2011
One_Naira:

You should speak for yourself. I've personally met men and women from rivers that view themselves as Igbo. I've met ikwerre that call themselves Igbo.

Dont mind the ugly wrench. When it suits them they will disagree there is Igbo in Rivers state. Am sick and tired of bigots like her.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 8:22pm On Sep 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

This is the first time I've heard any Ijo say anything like what you've just said. (I mielamam). You've answered.
I memala

lol who is teaching you Ibani? yr trying sha
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:33pm On Sep 26, 2011
ijaw_girl:

I memala

lol who is teaching you Ibani? yr trying sha
Most of it is association (extended family), some of it I picked up on my own.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 9:31pm On Sep 26, 2011
Andre Uweh:

On the bolded, you are totally wrong. Ndigbo do not claim they own the entire Port Harcourt. A very large chunk of Port Harcourt is Ikwerreland and this Ikwerre people are Igbo by nature. On Bonny and Opobo, there are Igbo elements there. The truth is that you Ijaw do not want anything Igbo to be associated with Bonny and Opobo. Also, you Ijaw do not want Ikwerre to be seen as Igbo. You Ijaw people prefer Igbo to be reduced to only the south east. Even some of the photographs of the Ikwerre wedding you have been posting in this thread can attest to that. You labelled it Ikwerre instead of Igbo just as it will suit you Ijaw people.
I remember sometime ago when I quoted verbatim what the current King of Opobo said at Ahiajoku festival where he claimed his Igbo heritage, your only response was to insult me. Why do you peeps feel insecured when the truth is told?.
I am posting from myphone- dis post will kinda be disorganized-pls bear with me
Hence, the event of Jan 24, 2009 at Owerri has swung the debate in favour of the Igbo.

that was yr post. dats y i reacted that way- How did you come up with that conclusion?

Well I grew up in portharcourt. Most pple will agree with me in rivers state we call pple of Ikwerre = Ikwerre.  I am so used to it, dont blame me. .

Opobo and Bonny pple might have igbo roots but we are IJAW pple. Igbos shld stop claiming Okoloma and Opubo ama.
I have read so many articles abt Igbos pple claiming the whole of PH, bonny and Opobo. Portharcourt is an igbo city, Opobo-Nwapost or whatever lol etc
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 9:41pm On Sep 26, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Dont mind the ugly wrench. When it suits them they will disagree there is Igbo in Rivers state. Am sick and tired of bigots like her.

LMAO have u seen me b4? IDIO/T!
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 9:59pm On Sep 26, 2011
nusdog:

Ijaw_girl, I honestly think you'll be doing  a big favour by speaking for yourself and for those you personally know. Not all Rivers people disclaim being Igbos. I know a couple of Igbos from Rivers state on a personal level.

Refrain from making a generalization as above.

Yes very true, its not all Igbos in rivers state that deny being Igbo.  I shld have been more specific in my post.
I was just trying 2 explain to Chinenye y some Rivers pple hate Igbos
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by lakal(m): 10:18pm On Sep 26, 2011
ChinenyeN:

lakal, yea, but I doubt you can honestly tell yourself that Igbo hate Yoruba and Hausa.

Some of you all make it seem that way, to be honest, as if Yoruba people are what are stopping the Igbo man from progressing. There seems to be much more negative feelings flowing from Igbos to Yorubas than vice versa. Real talk.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
I knew people were going to be quick to jump on that excerpt of ijaw_girl's. I'm not surprised. I myself was tempted to say something about, but that is a completely different issue. It's very very far from this topic, unlike Ijo hatred, which is a bit of a derailment, but not entirely.

ijaw_girl:

Opobo and Bonny pple might have igbo roots but we are IJAW pple. Igbos shld stop claiming Okoloma and Opubo ama.
I have read so many articles abt Igbos pple claiming the whole of PH, bonny and Opobo. Portharcourt is an igbo city, Opobo-Nwapost or whatever lol etc
Maybe you're not understanding the contention. Fundamentally those contending are saying the exact same thing. Okoloma and Opobo people are tied to Igbo by heritage, the issue now is the "how?". That is where the contention is. "How?" is the issue that people are fighting over. Striving efforts have been made to assert that "Igbo" is not indigenous to these areas, and any "non-Ijo" tradition of origin is shot down, hushed and otherwise neglected without any reasonable consideration. Ijo want to claim "Igbo" presence only during and post-slave trade, though traditions of both the people in question and surrounding communities suggests otherwise. That is the contention.

lakal:

Some of you all make it seem that way, to be honest, as if Yoruba people are what are stopping the Igbo man from progressing.  There seems to be much more negative feelings flowing from Igbos to Yorubas than vice versa.  Real talk.
Then that would be political as well as be tied to those who still have 'Biafra sentiment' and disdain or whatever for 'Yoruba disservice' during that time.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by Nnenna1(f): 2:23am On Sep 27, 2011
When have Igbos said that Ijaws were Igbo?

Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by Abagworo(m): 2:41am On Sep 27, 2011
ijaw_girl:

What you wrote above is true but there is this misunderstanding I even have with Ikwerres too.Igbo culture does not believe the next village owns anything other than their small piece of land.No Igbo has claimed PH or Bonny as his personal land but that the indigenes are Igbos.I think it stops at that.The reason why the Rivers people are trying their best to dissociate from Igbos is because most of them believe that if they admit the truth that they are Igbos,then the whole Igbos from Enugu to Delta will claim their land and resources.

Also the Rivers Ijaw had the same feeling with Ijaw proper until the era of militancy.Rivers State does not recognise Ijaw as an ethnic group in Rivers.They however recognise Efbema and Oyigbo as Igbo.A Kalabari man inspite of speaking Ijaw sees himself as a distinct ethnic group from Bonny or Okrika while Ikwerre,Etche,Ogba and Ndoni inspite of speaking Igbo view themselves as distinct from one another.Same with Eleme,Kana and Ogoni.

In reality there are about 7 clear ethnic groups in Rivers viz  Igbo,Ijaw,Ogoni and minority Obolo,Andoni,Abua/Odual and Degema.Ekpeye could be regarded as distinct because they speak Igbo related language that is not purely Igbo like Ikwerre and others.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by udezue(m): 3:12am On Sep 27, 2011
I understand the hateful relationship. I have relatives who are partly Bonny. Igbos intermarry a lot with Efik-Ibibio ppl a lot as well but how come we don't have the same issues? It has a lot to do with insecurity of Rivers people and the Ijo in particular. If u are satisfied with who u are there won't be a reason to fear those u are related to.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:41am On Sep 27, 2011
Abagworo:

What you wrote above is true but there is this misunderstanding I even have with Ikwerres too.Igbo culture does not believe the next village owns anything other than their small piece of land.No Igbo has claimed PH or Bonny as his personal land but that the indigenes are Igbos.I think it stops at that.The reason why the Rivers people are trying their best to dissociate from Igbos is because most of them believe that if they admit the truth that they are Igbos,then the whole Igbos from Enugu to Delta will claim their land and resources.
If the above is their fear then it is unfounded, and one would think that they would already know this. In fact, how could they [i]not [/i]know? undecided . . So it's all just baseless fear. They should take Igboland for example. Upon all the "Igbo" this and that, no one has come to say "We're taking Ngwaland from Ngwa" or that "we're taking Abakaliki land and resources". Ngwaland is Ngwa's. Abakaliki is Abakaliki's, and so on and so forth. So it's baseless and nonsensical for them to fear such an occurrence, especially since it doesn't even happen that way among the "Igbo" themselves. If it did, then maybe their fear would be understandable, but it doesn't. So to me it's nonsensical.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:42am On Sep 27, 2011
udezue:

I understand the hateful relationship. I have relatives who are partly Bonny. Igbos intermarry a lot with Efik-Ibibio ppl a lot as well but how come we don't have the same issues? It has a lot to do with insecurity of Rivers people and the Ijo in particular. If u are satisfied with who u are there won't be a reason to fear those u are related to.
Simple.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ifyalways(f): 6:33am On Sep 27, 2011
Did I just read someone cursing out others choice of partner?How petty!
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by AndreUweh(m): 10:25am On Sep 27, 2011
ijaw_girl:

LMAO have u seen me b4? IDIO/T!
Impotent retardo, if you are not an ugly wrench, post pictures of your ugly self here. Castrated maggot.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 1:10pm On Sep 27, 2011
Abagworo:

Also the Rivers Ijaw had the same feeling with Ijaw proper until the era of militancy.Rivers State does not recognise Ijaw as an ethnic group in Rivers.They however recognise Efbema and Oyigbo as Igbo.A Kalabari man inspite of speaking Ijaw sees himself as a distinct ethnic group from Bonny or Okrika while Ikwerre,Etche,Ogba and Ndoni inspite of speaking Igbo view themselves as distinct from one another.Same with Eleme,Kana and Ogoni.

In reality there are about 7 clear ethnic groups in Rivers viz  Igbo,Ijaw,Ogoni and minority Obolo,Andoni,Abua/Odual and Degema.Ekpeye could be regarded as distinct because they speak Igbo related language that is not purely Igbo like Ikwerre and others.

Yes very true  smiley.  the Ijaws in Rivers state mostly identified themselves as Kalabari, Okrika, Ibani, Andoni Kalabari etc rather than Ijaw. The same as the Igbos in Rivers state. Every little town/clan of the Ijawz and Igboz in Rivers tribe claim to be a Kingdom/ethnic group of its own. I have always known Ikwerre as Ikwerre and not IGBO. This whole united igbo nation and Ijaw Nation is new in rivers state. Some Ijaws in Rivers State have now realized we dont need any further division because it serves us no good dividing ourselves into minority groups when we have alot to gain by sticking together. The more united=  better respect we get.
Re: Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. by ijawgirl: 1:10pm On Sep 27, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Impotent retardo, if you are not an ugly wrench, post pictures of your ugly self here. Castrated maggot.

lol you are one male whining bitc/h grin. I see You cant get over the fact I inuslted you on the op thread, get over it hun!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates Alafere, Oya & Ijugbe Festivals (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.