Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? (1635 Views)

Why Are Most Christians Afraid Of Devil And His Followers....(evil Men)? / Pastor Adeboye Was Afraid To Die On Nigeria Airways Flight / If Heaven Is Real Why Are Christians Afraid To Die?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by nodogma: 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2011
[b]Some Christians believe that the world will end this year as a result of the comet Elenin.  There were false reports that the comet would collide with earth in October.  Many of the May 21 doomsday people believed this would be the end of earth and the return of Jesus.  However, the comet has lost its power and will not hit the earth.

However, those who wrote the bible did not even know of comets.  Why would Christians believe in such nonsense that this is the way the earth would end and Jesus would return?

Here is the updated story:

Comet Elenin has sparked more than its fair share of doomsday talk over the past few months, but it looks as if the only chance of impending doom is for the comet itself: It is disintegrating and quickly fading away.

Australian amateur astronomer Michael Mattiazzo has been monitoring this comet’s trip toward perihelion (closest point in its orbit to the sun), which occurred on Sept. 10, and he says Comet Elenin has likely has not survived. It's barely visible as a disintegrating smudge in an image taken by Mattiazzo on Wednesday.

Comet Elenin — the comet that has created a hoopla of completely nonsensical, non-scientific doomsday predictions — faded dramatically after being hit by a solar flare on Aug. 20, as we reported earlier. Subsequent images revealed a spreading, diffuse coma. It will likely continue to fade and become more diffuse. [/b]
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by justhappy: 9:30pm On Sep 21, 2011
I think it is mostly the crazies who even know about this. As you said it was mostly the May 21 people who needed something to hold on to when it was clear that the date had come and gone uneventfully. Now that it is clear that Elenin won't happen, I am not sure what will become of them. Perhaps they will wait for Harold Camping's next directions.
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by joyuchesun: 9:35pm On Sep 21, 2011
I agree it is just the crazies! With all of the storms and bad weather this year, the idiots, crazy people, and mentally ill have been out of control with thinking the world will end. I am sure they will find something else to say after Elenin. It is sad that people cannot just enjoy life.
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by Joagbaje(m): 7:16am On Sep 22, 2011
nodogma:

[b]Some Christians believe that the world will end this year as a result of the comet Elenin. 

Your title give impression as though every christian think so. Those who believe such junk are minority. The bible has a programme for the end times and it's been accurate . The end can't come for now.

However, those who wrote the bible did not even know of comets.

How much have you read your bible, what of the hail stones which God used to strike enemies of Israel

Why would Christians believe in such nonsense that this is the way the earth would end and Jesus would return?

It is not a christian belief, the bible didn't say such.
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by evamathis: 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2011
this one is in 6 parts,pls be patient and watch till the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL3IkbILIak&feature=related

then this is an hour long,pls be patient too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL3nrgOXZZU

thanks as I look forward to the replies
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by evamathis: 4:53pm On Sep 22, 2011
@nodogma
Gods word will never ever not come to pass

the tribulation and all that is written in revelations has to come to pass

so definately comet elenin surely cannot destroy this world yet at least till all those things come to pass.

I have to tell you MAY 21st was the great falling away of the church
because of harold camping and date-setting millions of christians backslid when the world didnt end like he predicted
that to me was a deadly trap because now thats what everyone quotes,and the devil is out to deceive and confuse as many people as he can

my thing is,we should all get it right with God and take date-fixing with a pinch of salt
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by seyibrown(f): 2:05pm On Sep 23, 2011
nodogma, justhappy and joyuchesun. A second thread I have found where you are saying the same thing!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by chowbaby: 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2011
I have not heard about this comet.
Re: Why Are Christians Afraid Of The Comet Elenin? by evamathis: 10:56am On Sep 29, 2011
^^^^
google it baby
watch on youtube
but dont let the fear-mongering get to you.

(1) (Reply)

*AGE OF DECEIT* Fallen Angels And The New World Order / A Short Story 4 - Algebra / My Friends Brother Had An Accident And Saw Heaven And Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.