Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University (16315 Views)

School Where Pupils Sit On Floor To Learn In Akwa Ibom (Photo) / The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo / Sights From The University Of Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Thattallgirl(f): 11:40am On Apr 17, 2023
Incredible128:
Why? Have we even learned our own language? Some Nigerians don't even know their mother tongue
Knowing their mother tongue is what parents and grandparents are there for. If one chooses a career path that is based just here in Nigeria then learning other Nigerian languages is important...but if you choose a career that can take you anywhere in the world, it's wise for such person to be able to speak at least one foreign language. You never know when you may need it.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Ameduedwin: 11:40am On Apr 17, 2023
How many foreign countries have interest of learning your own language. Inferiority complex
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Warl0ck: 11:41am On Apr 17, 2023
thesicilian:

Latin is a dying language. People hardly speak it anymore. Except lawyers when they want to sound learned grin
wow

Just found out...

WTF? is it because it is old?

The few i hear nowadays are from Catholic church hymns.

agnus deus, agnus deus quitollis peccata mundi, dona nobis paccem grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Thattallgirl(f): 11:42am On Apr 17, 2023
Incredible128:
Why? Have we even learned our own language? Some Nigerians don't even know their mother tongue. Although, I I could go with learning a language, I'd go with d Chineses' Mandarin
Mandarin is among my top 5 because these people are everywhere and their products are everywhere lol. My top 5 would be French, German, Spanish, Russian and Chinese. If I could add one I'd pick either Hebrew or Arabic.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by frozen70(f): 11:42am On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:
What are the advantages of learning a foreign language in the university and which language would you advise a person to learn?

I think Chinese is ok

There are places you need to translate their language and writing to English

But it depends on which one you have interest on
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by iadelola77(m): 11:43am On Apr 17, 2023
I studied French in the university and I am grateful for my decision. If you were thinking of traveling out of Nigeria for greener pasture, I would advise you to study the language of choice country you wish to travel to. You can go for Spanish or German.
It is well with you.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Keblast: 11:46am On Apr 17, 2023
joebeckz:
It depends on the intention, if it is just moving out for international work experience (Japa) getting a working visa and making a living for yourself, it is definitely Germany.

A decades ago, i would have chosen French but right now. I will go with German language, it is the most spoken language in Europe after Russian, followed by French.

France has been a mass immigration country longer than Germany but in comparison France is saturated and doesn't need immigration as much as Germany does. Therefore France is trying to close the gate or at least to the very picky whereas Germany is widely open.

German is an official language in Austria, Belgium, Germany, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Switzerland.

French is also officially spoken in Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco, and Switzerland.it is also spoken in parts of Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Russia is also a good language to consider since it is the most spoken language in Europe.
It is officially spoken in Russia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan, and it's considered an unofficial lingua franca in Ukraine and many former Soviet countries. These include Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan but widely spoken in these countries so you see why it is a major language in Europe.

But if you wanna migrate to US or Canada.
Go for French or Spanish since some parts in Canada speak French and Spanish is required in some working environment in the USA.

German and Dutch are different languages. Belgium speaks Dutch and French and nut German.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by jclassiq(m): 11:47am On Apr 17, 2023
Na mandarin China na.

Or Spanish.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Dodorimaaaaaaa: 11:52am On Apr 17, 2023
Baifra language!
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Sweetvie: 11:57am On Apr 17, 2023
Spanish and mandarin
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by 6ixT8: 12:01pm On Apr 17, 2023
Sign-language
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by babajero(m): 12:02pm On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:
What are the advantages of learning a foreign language in the university and which language would you advise a person to learn?
Chinese just in case China finally decide to take over.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Fortune118005(m): 12:04pm On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:
Learn French
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by OMEGA009(m): 12:12pm On Apr 17, 2023
Arabic.

The US intelligence agencies will rush you like Oha soup.

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by KarinaSlim(f): 12:13pm On Apr 17, 2023
Right from my Primary school, they have been teaching us french in class up till JSS3.

If I had taken it serious, I know the language would have taken me far.

Maybe by now, I would be in Paris.

The only thing I can say is "Bonjour Le Francais"
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Makinaki: 12:28pm On Apr 17, 2023
Fulfude
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by KanuSE: 12:38pm On Apr 17, 2023
Mandarin
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by LandMann: 12:39pm On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:

Where do you want to be in 10 years time?

Chinese if you want to be in China or work with Chinese people

French in you want to be in Canada, France or any country immediately close to Nigeria

German if you want to be in Germany
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by rhames(m): 1:13pm On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:

The seven universal languages are:

English
French
Arabic
Portuguese
Spanish
Italian
German
Swahili (Africa's second most widely spoken language after Arabic)
Creole ( Carribbean)
Mandarin
Japanese
Korean

C'est la meme chose.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by DonXavi(m): 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2023
favourRN:

Yes, I learned Spanish in Barbados while in nursing school, and it helped in communicating especially when traveling through Brazil, and the Panama route but personally it helped my communication with fellow Spanish nurses. I don't know how it could benefit more in Nigeria but outside the country it is.
O sea, hablas muy bien el española.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by MarketDispatch: 1:25pm On Apr 17, 2023
Gerrard59:

Goodluck getting a student visa from the German embassy in Nigeria if you don't have a first class degree which was issued in 2020 upwards.

If you study Nursing and want to Japa to Germany...contact me here on Nairaland... Nursing only please.

German Language proficiency is an advantage.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Maj196(m): 1:48pm On Apr 17, 2023
French, Spanish or Arabic. I love French though...
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by joyousever(f): 1:59pm On Apr 17, 2023
French and German, although German is almost like English.

CandidAdmin:
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by ukaface(f): 1:59pm On Apr 17, 2023
French and;
Spanish
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by labelle123(f): 2:05pm On Apr 17, 2023
Warl0ck:
I think Spanish is not that bad
But i prefer latin though
Latin is a dead language Spoken only in the Catholic Church
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by labelle123(f): 2:10pm On Apr 17, 2023
Ameduedwin:
How many foreign countries have interest of learning your own language. Inferiority complex
Has your language contributed anything to science and technology?
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by EdiskyHarry: 2:11pm On Apr 17, 2023
Learn french, france can easily accept you into her country. And speaking or having a good knowledge of french will be of Great advantage.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Arcbox(m): 2:14pm On Apr 17, 2023
Learn Chinese language. It’s will give you the scholarship opportunity for postgraduate study if you have a hsk..
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by wildikeman(m): 2:25pm On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:

Mandarin...its a hard language. But once you do, the sky is the limit to what you can use it for
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by favourRN(m): 2:30pm On Apr 17, 2023
DonXavi:
O sea, hablas muy bien el española.

no muy bien, but I know the vital ones to care for my Spanish patient or to speak with my nursing co-workers.

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by favourRN(m): 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2023
BJanta:

You're a shapeless ,bloody LIAR. English is the most spoken language in the world, with 1132 billion speakers, followed by Chinese Mandarin with 1117 billion , Hindi with 615 millions and finally, Spanish with 534 million speakers. Go and Google it. All of you will come Nairaland and start to spew your foolish lies.

Remember I replied based on what the person asking the question asked he/she wanted a foreign language to learn, he/she wasn't asking the ranged language to learn but which could be advised.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by favourRN(m): 2:37pm On Apr 17, 2023
EastAlchemist:

Good day sir
Is there an app

I use this website
https://www.duolingo.com/learn
It was very helpful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

6 Daily Habits Of Highly Successful Students / The Federal Polytechnic,ede,osun State.first Batch Admission Lists Out! / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.