Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,046 members, 7,814,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company (3991 Views)

Even As A Jobless Graduate, God Please Make This One To Favour Me / Please, Help A Jobless First Class Graduate. / Jobless First Class Graduate Gets Instant Employment After PREMIUM TIMES Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2023
Dear Nairaland community, join me as I document my journey of building a world class app. I am going to give a daily update on my progress and open to constructive criticism and feedback as I work.

Getting laid off from a job is never an easy experience, but it can also be an opportunity to explore new possibilities and pursue a passion. In my case, losing my job led me to start building a carpooling app that will made a difference in the lives of many people.

When I was let go from my job, I was devastated. I had been working for the company for several years, and I had never thought about what I would do if I lost my job. But as the weeks went by and I struggled to find another job, I started to realize that this could be a chance to take a risk and follow my dream of launching my own product.

I had always been interested in the concept of carpooling, and I saw an opportunity to create an app that would make it easier and more convenient for people to share rides. I started doing research, studying the market and the competition, and identifying the features that would make my app stand out.

One of the biggest challenges I faced was funding. I had no job, limited savings and no investors, so I had to be creative in finding ways to finance my project. I started by doing freelance work to make ends meet, and I also loans. It took a lot of effort and patience, but eventually, I was able to secure enough funding to work on the app.

The next challenge was building the app itself. I created a wireframe and worked with a designer to create a sleek and intuitive interface. I made sure to include all the basic features that would make the app stand out, such as the ability to;
- Search for route
- Create route
- Book trips
- Rate fellow carpoolers

Once the design was complete, I began working with a team of freelance developers to build the app. We encountered several challenges along the way, such as compatibility issues and server crashes. But we persevered, I was working 15 hours daily, 7 days a week and after several weeks of hard work, we finally had a working prototype.

One of the biggest lessons I learned during this journey is the importance of perseverance. There were times when I wanted to give up, but I kept pushing forward, knowing that my idea had potential. I also learned the importance of collaborating with a team of experts who can bring different skills and perspectives to the table.

The app is currently on Alpha testing, if you want to get a sneak peak before the official launch date, here is the link

(Please only Nigerians can test)
Playstore: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/driveinhud/id6447472979?platform=iphone
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.charpell.driveinhud

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8m4pCBNH7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xzP4-NKig&ab_channel=DriveinHuddle

To be continued

UPDATE!!!
We finally launched the Driveinhud app on 6th of June, 2023. All my beta and alpha testers, core staffs came from this thread.
Thanks to Nairaland for giving me the platform to launch Driveinhud.

12 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rubyjade: 4:28pm On Apr 16, 2023
I dey wait make I provide you with financial consultation

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 5:20pm On Apr 16, 2023
Before I begin writing my journey, I want to highlight key stages i would be discussing.

The process of launching an app from idea to profitability can be challenging and complex, but it can also be highly rewarding. Here are the key stages involved in this process:

Idea Generation: The first stage is to come up with an idea for your app. This could involve identifying a gap in the market, solving a problem, or creating a new product that people will love.

Market Research: Once you have an idea, you need to research the market to see if it's viable. This could include analyzing competitors, identifying target customers, and assessing demand.

Planning: Next, you need to plan out the details of your app, including its features, design, and development timeline. You should also consider your budget, funding options, and revenue streams.

Development: The development stage involves building your app from scratch, which can take several months or even years. You'll need to hire a team of developers, designers, and testers to bring your app to life.

Testing: Before you can launch your app, you need to thoroughly test it to ensure it's functional, user-friendly, and bug-free. This could involve conducting alpha and beta testing, as well as getting feedback from early users.

Launch: Once your app is ready, you can launch it on the app store or other platforms. This involves marketing your app to your target audience, creating a buzz, and getting early adopters to try it out.

Growth: After launch, you need to focus on growing your user base and generating revenue. This could involve optimizing your app for search engines, running paid advertising campaigns, and creating engaging content.

Profitability: Finally, you need to reach profitability, which means your revenue exceeds your expenses. This could involve experimenting with different monetization models, such as in-app purchases, subscriptions, or ads.

Launching an app from idea to profitability can be a long and challenging journey, but with hard work and determination, it's possible to create a successful and profitable app that improves people's lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 5:33pm On Apr 16, 2023
How I came up with my idea
The journey began with a solution that came to me during fuel scarcity, most people could not commute to work, at the same time few people were driving to work alone, and it seemed like a waste of resources and money. I saw an opportunity to create an app that would connect people who are going in the same direction, and provide a cost-effective and eco-friendly way of commuting.

The idea of carpooling has been around for decades, with people looking for ways to save money on gas, reduce their carbon footprint, and alleviate traffic congestion. The concept is simple: multiple people share a ride in one vehicle, instead of each person driving their own car.

Carpooling is not just good for the environment - it's also good for your wallet. By sharing the cost of gas, tolls, and parking, carpoolers can save hundreds or even thousands of naira per year. In some cases, carpooling can even be cheaper than taking public transportation.

At the same time, the growing popularity of cars led to increased traffic congestion on roads and highways. As cities and suburbs expanded, more and more people were driving to work and other destinations, leading to long commute times and frustrating traffic jams. Carpooling was seen as a way to reduce the number of cars on the road, and therefore alleviate traffic congestion.

Overall, the idea of carpooling is a simple but powerful one, with the potential to save money, reduce emissions, and alleviate traffic congestion. As technology continues to evolve, we can expect to see even more innovative solutions to make carpooling an even more attractive and accessible option for commuters everywhere.

Tomorrow I will talk about how I carried out my Market research. To be continued

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by akinade28(f): 7:55pm On Apr 16, 2023
Gladly following your journey.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Ajibade123(m): 11:23pm On Apr 16, 2023
Charpell:
The journey began with a solution that came to me during fuel scarcity, most people could not commute to work, at the same time few people were driving to work alone, and it seemed like a waste of resources and money. I saw an opportunity to create an app that would connect people who are going in the same direction, and provide a cost-effective and eco-friendly way of commuting.

The idea of carpooling has been around for decades, with people looking for ways to save money on gas, reduce their carbon footprint, and alleviate traffic congestion. The concept is simple: multiple people share a ride in one vehicle, instead of each person driving their own car.

Carpooling is not just good for the environment - it's also good for your wallet. By sharing the cost of gas, tolls, and parking, carpoolers can save hundreds or even thousands of naira per year. In some cases, carpooling can even be cheaper than taking public transportation.

At the same time, the growing popularity of cars led to increased traffic congestion on roads and highways. As cities and suburbs expanded, more and more people were driving to work and other destinations, leading to long commute times and frustrating traffic jams. Carpooling was seen as a way to reduce the number of cars on the road, and therefore alleviate traffic congestion.

Overall, the idea of carpooling is a simple but powerful one, with the potential to save money, reduce emissions, and alleviate traffic congestion. As technology continues to evolve, we can expect to see even more innovative solutions to make carpooling an even more attractive and accessible option for commuters everywhere.

Tomorrow I will talk about how I carried out my Market research. To be continued
I had similar idea some months ago
Talked to few of my friends on his we can work together and possibly use machine learning to make it better but school work got the hold of us
I don't mind sharing some ideas with you sha

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 11:47pm On Apr 16, 2023
Rubyjade:
I dey wait make I provide you with financial consultation
Sure, I will need all the resources to make this succeed.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 11:47pm On Apr 16, 2023
akinade28:
Gladly following your journey.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 11:48pm On Apr 16, 2023
Ajibade123:

I had similar idea some months ago
Talked to few of my friends on his we can work together and possibly use machine learning to make it better but school work got the hold of us
I don't mind sharing some ideas with you sha
Thank you Ajibade123, I look forward to working together with you
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rathoreng(m): 12:12am On Apr 17, 2023
nice one, quote me and lets talk, im into tech and apps also,might also be a potential investor. [quote author=Charpell post=122553952]Getting laid off from a job is never an easy experience, but it can also be an opportunity to explore new possibilities and pursue a passion. In my case, losing my job led me to start building a carpooling app that will made a difference in the lives of many people.

When I was let go from my job, I was devastated. I had been working for the company for several years, and I had never thought about what I would do if I lost my job. But as the weeks went by and I struggled to find another job, I started to realize that this could be a chance to take a risk and follow my dream of launching my own product.

I had always been interested in the concept of carpooling, and I saw an opportunity to create an app that would make it easier and more convenient for people to share rides. I started doing research, studying the market and the competition.
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rathoreng(m): 12:19am On Apr 17, 2023
Though this trips me, but i hope youll answer it; how do you plan on the security issues cox not every one would love somebody entering his car, maybe he's a thief, thanks

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 12:34am On Apr 17, 2023
Rathoreng:
Though this trips me, but i hope youll answer it; how do you plan on the security issues cox not every one would love somebody entering his car, maybe he's a thief, thanks
Good question.
Before a person can book your trip, they would have ask for a connect request. By default, no user can book your trip until you have accepted their request.

So to verification the identity: I implemented an in-app video calling feature that allows the driver and the passenger to see each other face-to-face, which helps to verify each other's identity. This helps to ensure that the person you are booking with is who they say they are.

Additionally the likes, number of connects, ratings and feedback of the user profile are used as a measure to know who you dealing with

The app is currently on Alpha testing, if you want to get a sneak peak to see how it works, here is the link

Apple store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/driveinhud/id6447472979?platform=iphone
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.charpell.driveinhud
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 12:47am On Apr 17, 2023
Market Research
Here is what I gathered carrying out market research before I started development:

Defining the target audience: The first step in conducting market research was to define the target audience. I needed to know who i was building the app for and what their needs and preferences were.

Target Audience -> Work professionals commuting to work

Identifying competition: Next, I researched existing carpooling apps to understand the competition and identify any gaps in the market. I analyzed their features, pricing, and customer feedback to help us differentiate the app.

Direct competitors -> GoMyWay, Jekalo, CarXie, SmartMove, Zoro
Indirect competitors -> Uber, Bolt, Rida, inDriver

Conducting surveys: I then conducted surveys to gather insights from potential users. I asked questions about their current commuting habits, their willingness to carpool, their preferred pricing model, and their desired features.

Analyzing data: After gathering survey responses, I analyzed the data to identify trends and patterns. This helped me to understand the target audience better and refine the app features and pricing.

Iterating on the app: Based on the insights we gathered from our market research, we iterated on the app design and features. We made changes to pricing, added new features, and refined the user experience.

Overall, carrying out market research was a critical step in the app development process. By understanding our target audience and their needs, we were able to build an mvp that addressed their pain points and stood out from the competition.

Next is Planning -> features, design, and development timeline
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rathoreng(m): 12:50am On Apr 17, 2023
very nice,so its basically a similar to air bnb , but this time around for cars.[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 12:52am On Apr 17, 2023
Rathoreng:
very nice,so its basically a similar to air bnb , but this time around for cars.
Exactly!
You just gave me a catchphrase idea; `Airbnb for car sharing` cool
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rathoreng(m): 12:59am On Apr 17, 2023
Your'e welcome, the idea will work insha ALLAH, just , some adverts and branding to be put into an action

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rubyjade: 7:30am On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

Sure, I will need all the resources to make this succeed.
Where do I come in here?
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by lordally(m): 9:28am On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

Gomyway comes to mind. This same Startup sought to do same thing you're doing but failed. So what do you intend to do differently?

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 11:50am On Apr 17, 2023
Rathoreng:
Your'e welcome, the idea will work insha ALLAH, just , some adverts and branding to be put into an action
Thank you for the encouragement
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 11:52am On Apr 17, 2023
Rubyjade:
Where do I come in here?
Right now I need people to test my app for any bugs before official launch.
I don't mind paying N2,000 for anybody willing to test my app.
After testing, then i go into marketing full time

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 12:18pm On Apr 17, 2023
lordally:

Gomyway comes to mind. This same Startup sought to do same thing you're doing but failed. So what do you intend to do differently?
Gomyway failed because they were not making money, their plan was to offer their service free for the first two years in order to get user base, then afterwards make it a paid service. So while they are not able to generate revenue after 2 years, they shutdown.
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by nickae: 12:54pm On Apr 17, 2023
My concern like someone pointed out is the state of security in this country, there isn't a regulatory/regulation involved, a good guy today can become evil tomorrow with no trace since there isn't a sort of documentation involved.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rubyjade: 1:18pm On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

Right now I need people to test my app for any bugs before official launch.
I don't mind paying N2,000 for anybody willing to test my app.
After testing, then i go into marketing full time
Great, would you mind joining a WhatsApp group or telegram channel so that people can test it?
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 1:22pm On Apr 17, 2023
nickae:
My concern like someone pointed out is the state of security in this country, there isn't a regulatory/regulation involved, a good guy today can become evil tomorrow with no trace since there isn't a sort of documentation involved.
You are right, security is a challenge. During my planning stage, I came up with some strategy that would be used to reduce the security risk

1 The app is only targeted at work professionals, so if you don't provide some documents and referee that shows you work for a company you won't be verified
2 The app has an inbuilt video calling feature that lets you interview whoever you are going to carpool with them, this gives you the chance to connect with them first
3 There is an efficient Rating and Review system of every user.

What we plan to bring in the future
4 Use AI for proper documentation of every user including their history

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 1:24pm On Apr 17, 2023
Rubyjade:
Great, would you mind joining a WhatsApp group or telegram channel so that people can test it?
Okay let me create one

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Ajibade123(m): 1:24pm On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

I just mailed you
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rubyjade: 1:32pm On Apr 17, 2023
wink
Charpell:

Okay let me create one
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rubyjade: 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

I am part of the team now, don't let me off the hook
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by lordally(m): 1:43pm On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

Gomyway failed because they were not making money, their plan was to offer their service free for the first two years in order to get user base, then afterwards make it a paid service. So while they are not able to generate revenue after 2 years, they shutdown.

Hmmm, you've really done your job! NICE!!

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 1:55pm On Apr 17, 2023
Hello everyone, I just created a Whatsapp link for anyone who is willing to test.
The app is currently on Open testing, I am offering 10 people 2,000 to throughly test the app for bugs and feedback
Thank you.
Here is the link
https:///Dg3vagpFzGMEb38qwnjqoZ[url]

Modify: The whatsapp link is breaking, anyone know how i can share the link
Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Charpell(m): 1:57pm On Apr 17, 2023
Ajibade123:

I just mailed you
Okay seen

Rubyjade:
I am part of the team now, don't let me off the hook
Lol, you are the first line. Thanks for your support
lordally:

Hmmm, you've really done your job! NICE!!
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Jobless Developer Creating A Startup Company by Rubyjade: 2:06pm On Apr 17, 2023
Charpell:

Okay seen

Lol, you are the first line. Thanks for your support
Thank you
I'm serious no jokes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Eradicating Mass Unemployment With Realistic Job Creation Strategies / We Are Hiring / Landmark University Salary Scale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.