Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,555 members, 7,837,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? (10648 Views)

Iranian Child Bride Facing Execution For Killing Abusive Husband / Us State Of Georgia Executed Davies Troy Despite All Appeals / Troy Davis To Die Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by buzugee(m): 11:20am On Sep 23, 2011
[/q
texazzpete:

What does the legal system in the state of Georgia have to do with the middle east and democracy?
if anything, this shows the power of democracy at work. In Georgia state, not even the Governor can get someone off Death Row. Only the prisons and parole board can. Compare that to Nigeria where a commissioner can even order the release of a hardened criminal  grin
stop yarning dust. the governor has the power to get someone of death row, it just wasnt in the governors interest to get troy davis off death row. do you know that arnold scwarzenneger when he was governor of california while denying to get a reformed tookie smith off death row, got the son of one of his friends off death row before he left office ? (a white friend, that is) http://www.debbieschlussel.com/36021/despicable-after-pardoning-murderer-crony-schwarzenegger-mocks-family-of-victim-makes-snoring-sounds/

anyway thats besides the point. i personally think troy davis is guilty. before shooting the guard he had already shot someone else in the face earlier that day. then the same gun was used to kill the security guard. well i wish him RIP. hope he is in a better place and has cleared his conscience before the lethal injection. i think what happened is that too many people got on the case and made it a cause celebre to the point where it was counter-productive for the guy to own up to his crime before being put to death. a lot of people woulda been disappointed. then again he must have been hoping for a last minute reprieve.

on a side note, the guy who dragged james byrd to death in jasper texas was also put to death yesterday. same day as troy.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by newdeal(m): 11:26am On Sep 23, 2011
Here is Troy's last message to all his supporters through Amnesty International's representative in the US, (AI-USA) Wende, who met him shortly before his execution to convey to him the support he has from all of you:

"The struggle for justice doesn't end with me. This struggle is for all the Troy Davises who came before me and all the ones who will come after me. I'm in good spirits and I'm prayerful and at peace." Troy Davis

R.I.P Troy
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by BetaThings: 11:27am On Sep 23, 2011
lynxnoon:

@iykak47
LETHAL means leads to death and not neccessarily "painful" wink
But it does not necessarily mean painless either

This study published in the online journal PloS Medicine [5] confirmed and extended the conclusions made in The Lancet article and go further to disprove the assertion that the lethal injection process is painless. To date these two studies by the University of Miami team serve as the only critical peer-reviewed examination of the pharmacology of the lethal injection process. These findings also appear true to be further supported by increased reporting of problematic lethal injections in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_injection
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by BetaThings: 11:31am On Sep 23, 2011
buzugee:

on a side note, the guy who dragged james byrd to death in jasper texas was also put to death yesterday. same day as troy.
That was a an act of extreme brutality visited on the man because of his race. Nobody can relate them. Byrd was tied to a car and dragged for miles with his pieces flesh falling off along the way.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by BetaThings: 11:33am On Sep 23, 2011
buzugee:

anyway thats besides the point. i personally think troy davis is guilty. before shooting the guard he had already shot someone else in the face earlier that day. then the same gun was used to kill the security guard. well i wish him RIP. hope he is in a better place and has cleared his conscience before the lethal injection. i think what happened is that too many people got on the case and made it a cause celebre to the point where it was counter-productive for the guy to own up to his crime before being put to death. a lot of people woulda been disappointed. then again he must have been hoping for a last minute reprieve.

All the issues you raise are known to the person defending him
In addition, they should have convicted him for the case in bold which they are sure of
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by buzugee(m): 11:34am On Sep 23, 2011
BetaThings:

That was a an act of extreme brutality visited on the man because of his race. Nobody can relate them. Byrd was tied to a car and dragged for miles with his pieces flesh falling off along the way.
i wasnt relating them. just simply stating a fact  wink so the guy (the byrd killer) had a tear in his eye when he died. lol he prolly saw the gates of hell and burst into tears  grin
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by buzugee(m): 11:38am On Sep 23, 2011
BetaThings:

All the issues you raise are known to the person defending him
In addition, they should have convicted him for the case in bold which they are sure of
trust me, there is a reason why a jury of mostly black people convicted him. there is a reason why he wasnt granted a pardon or reprieve or commutation or whatever they call it. if you are in this because you are against the death penalty ? then i can relate. but if you think dude is innocent ? come on now. you need to read the case again. the guy was an extremely dangerous guy. his nickname in the hood was RAH (ROUGH AS HELL). this guy was a crazy gangster. now 22 years in jail has calmed him down and mellowed him out. but i doubt you would wanna encounter him in a dark alley 22 years ago.

oh and they convicted him of the case in bold too. both the attempted murder and the murder.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by hbrednic: 12:04pm On Sep 23, 2011
whatever happened to beyond reasonable doubt,all in name of democrazy.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by QueenN2(f): 12:21pm On Sep 23, 2011
Troy Davis ddnt commit any crime, Dis is racism!!!
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by tunnytox(m): 12:30pm On Sep 23, 2011
justwise:

Oh please!! don't even go there, worst happens in the UK, how many patients have been killed by nurses and doctors in the UK by deliberately injecting those patients with wrong drug? Do you remember this doctor Harold Shipman?

He killed   218, deliberately and there are many such cases in the UK, so lets be honest here.

How can you compare the case of a serial killer with a justice system that allows pregnant wonent to be chained to their beds during labour? Please give me an instance if this in the UK. I believe you are smarter than this cos this your argument is totally out of context.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Princek12(m): 1:46pm On Sep 23, 2011
Troy Davis himself said he was not personally responsible before he died, which suggests that he knows something about the murder, although he may not be the shooter.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 23, 2011
just another killer meeting his long awaited fate. Who cares?
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Walala(m): 2:52pm On Sep 23, 2011
This dude definitely DESERVED TO DIE simply because you cannot go around shooting people anyhow and thinking you're just a gangster then when its time to die, you start acting like a lil bit*h. I watch the show 48hrs on A&E and all you see is these young black kids killing each other left and right with absolutely no regards for human life but once they are caught, they start crying and calling for their mama. He got what he deserved for shooting another individual in the face earlier that day and the same gun was used in the officer's shooting so its either him or the guy he gave the gun to and that dude should have been killed as well.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Walala(m): 3:00pm On Sep 23, 2011
On another note, the white racist that killed James Bryd was executed on the same day and for his last meal he ordered:
Two chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions
*A triple meat bacon cheeseburger with fixings on the side
*A cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jalapenos.
*A large bowl of fried okra with ketchup
*One pound of barbecue with half a loaf of white bread
*Three fajitas with fixings
*A meat lovers pizza
*Three root beers
*One pint of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream
*A slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts

The meal was at 4pm and he was scheduled to die at 6pm. WOW
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by justwise(m): 4:20pm On Sep 23, 2011
tunnytox:

How can you compare the case of a serial killer with a justice system that allows pregnant wonent to be chained to their beds during labour? Please give me an instance if this in the UK. I believe you are smarter than this cos this your argument is totally out of context.

. . . and how can you compare killing 218 pple to restricting a single woman, the chain did not kill her, the justices system has compensated her for what was done to her.

Which one would you prefer. . .been chained to the bed or killing u?
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by tunnytox(m): 4:46pm On Sep 23, 2011
@justwise
It's obvious you didn't read the article before making comments becos your comments is completely out of context. The article says there is a provision in the LAW that allows for pregnant women in labour to deliver their child while being chained to bed if they are involved in certain criminal acts, the article also states that this law is very unpopular and there has been many campaign against it but here you are comparing this to a serial killer case pls tell me any provision of the law even in a lawless state of Somalia where license are provided for serial killer to operate. Serial killers are acting on their own while this particular case mirror an act supposedly back by law! Can't you see the difference?
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by otiigba1(m): 5:05pm On Sep 23, 2011
Walala:

This dude definitely DESERVED TO DIE simply because you cannot go around shooting people anyhow and thinking you're just a gangster then when its time to die, you start acting like a lil bit*h. I watch the show 48hrs on A&E and all you see is these young black kids killing each other left and right with absolutely no regards for human life but once they are caught, they start crying and calling for their mama. He got what he deserved for shooting another individual in the face earlier that day and the same gun was used in the officer's shooting so its either him or the guy he gave the gun to and that dude should have been killed as well.
yep! i agree! even if he did`nt kill a the cop, for the fact that he shot another person in the face the same day he deserves punishment for that, and if he did`nt do it why did he not tell the court who did it, and besides he had 22 years to prove his inoccence
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by justwise(m): 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2011
tunnytox:

@justwise
It's obvious you didn't read the article before making comments becos your comments is completely out of context. The article says there is a provision in the LAW that allows for pregnant women in labour to deliver their child while being chained to bed if they are involved in certain criminal acts, the article also states that this law is very unpopular and there has been many campaign against it but here you are comparing this to a serial killer case pls tell me any provision of the law even in a lawless state of Somalia where license are provided for serial killer to operate. Serial killers are acting on their own while this particular case mirror an act supposedly back by law! Can't you see the difference?

I did not see the difference, what i saw here is you trying to compare the UK and USA law, the lady was badly treated and she sued and the same judiciary system you are condemning has done justices to her case, that is my point, the officials implemented the law wrongly and that was addressed in favor of the woman.

The law was put in place for a reason, no matter how controversial it maybe.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Delafruita(m): 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2011
@buzugee

i personally don't think tookie should have been paroled.you seem to forget he was actually foun guilty of murder of more than one person,he admitted to the murders and was sentenced.he got into prison,found solace in solitude and wrote a bunch of kid's books that got him nominated for a nobel.however,all that doesn't erase the fact the dude created the crips which happens to be one of the deadliest gangs in the world.
As for troy davis,its true the dude shot a guy in the face,assaulted a homeless man and probably killed the cop.do i feel he should have been executed,definitely
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 23, 2011
fyomer:

@OP i dont think this has to do with being black cause on the same day,another white man was equally executed in TEXAS for tying and draging a black man on his truck until he dies.(inhuman eh i hear you mumble)

Again UNFORGIVENESS is the word, when asked,after the execution"how do you feel now"Mrs MACPHAIL replied " i feel happy and fufilled".imagine,after 22 yrs,thats another rocky and wicked heart.

That statement only still makes me cringe honestly, I pray we never ever come across that kind of family in any area of our lives in Jesus name, at the same time we will never know what is like to loose a son and I also pray we never experience it. so I am very confused and still disturbed.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 23, 2011
ritze:

@ 1st citizen
So what can u say abt a white man executed in d same manner for killing a blackman?

UMM , they are two VERY different case and stories if you follow them very closely, your so called white guy is a renowned supremacist and hard core rasist so dont even go there and for other people that still want to compare pls dont. may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2011
jidegirl12:

That statement only still makes me cringe honestly, I pray we never ever come across that kind of family in any area of our lives in Jesus name, at the same time we will never know what is like to loose a son and I also pray we never experience it. so I am very confused and still disturbed.

Maybe you should pray you dont end up a widow early in life and have to tell your weeks-old son that he never got to see his dad because some brainless gangster used him for target practice. you people brandishing the name of Jesus anyhow . . . where were you the 22 yrs this woman has had to suffer in so much pain ALONE with 2 kids? At least Troy Davis got to grow up.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Roland17(m): 7:56pm On Sep 23, 2011
My advice to blacks resident in the US is to be very careful in whatever they do, if u are caught in a crime along side a white, ur punishment would be different. if president Obama still suffers racial discrimination in the US, what more ordinary black residents.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Roland17(m): 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2011
Delafruita:

@buzugee

i personally don't think tookie should have been paroled.you seem to forget he was actually foun guilty of murder of more than one person,he admitted to the murders and was sentenced.he got into prison,found solace in solitude and wrote a bunch of kid's books that got him nominated for a nobel.however,all that doesn't erase the fact the dude created the crips which happens to be one of the deadliest gangs in the world.
As for troy davis,its true the dude shot a guy in the face,assaulted a homeless man and probably killed the cop.do i feel he should have been executed,definitely

His books got nominated for a nobel and you think the books are kids stuff?
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by preselect(m): 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2011
davidylan:

just another killer meeting his long awaited fate. Who cares?

how sure are you. You weren't there. I wasn't there, I don't know. So how sure are you.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 23, 2011
pres-elect:

how sure are you. You weren't there. I wasn't there, I don't know. So how sure are you.

22 years and many legal reviews before at least 29 judges after?
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 23, 2011
Roland17:

My advice to blacks resident in the US is to be very careful in whatever they do, if u are caught in a crime along side a white, your punishment would be different. if president Obama still suffers racial discrimination in the US, what more ordinary black residents.

hmm i guess if you dont murder cops you should be relatively ok.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by MMM2(m): 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2011
dats waz bad
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by buzugee(m): 9:15pm On Sep 23, 2011
Delafruita:

@buzugee

of course he shouldnt have been paroled. but he coulda had his death sentence commuted to life. the whole country was begging the governator to commute his sentence but to no avail. but then the punk goes ahead and commutes his friends sons sentence. politicians eh ? corrupt and nepotistic despots the lot of them. but hey, i guess if you are man enough to take a life you gotta be man enough to have yours taken too. either way its no sweat of my brows.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by CashWithPC: 9:39pm On Sep 23, 2011
Whichever you look at this case, there is nothing cheery about. Revenge may be sweet but it never rights wrongs.
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by preselect(m): 1:44am On Sep 24, 2011
I'm trying to imagine if Amanda Knox or Cassey Anthony were black undecided

I'm just saying. . . .
Re: Troy Davis Execution, What Is Your View? by Nobody: 3:55am On Sep 24, 2011
davidylan:

Maybe you should pray you dont end up a widow early in life and have to tell your weeks-old son that he never got to see his dad because some brainless gangster used him for target practice. you people brandishing the name of Jesus anyhow  . . . where were you the 22 yrs this woman has had to suffer in so much pain ALONE with 2 kids? At least Troy Davis got to grow up.

Well what can i say, its you Goddamn fingers so you get to type insults the way it comes to your fixed skull angry this has been a sensitive discussion for me and least i fgt ' where were you 22yrs ago? BS!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The UK awaits new Prime Minister as Theresa May quits tomorrow / Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies / JUST IN: US Announces Sanctions Targeting Venezuela’s Oil Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.