Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? (72763 Views)

How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Africa Countries That Started And Completed Their Rail Mass Transit After Lagos / 6 Common Things We Do That Cause Accident While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by GoodCane: 8:25am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.

Lol, I wanted to fire you when you said no African country apart from SA is better than Nigeria until I saw this your reply.

Simply say West Africa countries bro. Even SA white men and women full there. It appears they even have their own States and cities in SA.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by zolajpower: 8:27am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
very lucrative.
You need to warn him that all the short changing Nigerians here in computer village like selling fufu laptop and phones re not welcome .
Tell am sey their genderm no dey play . Your story looks very sweet to him thereby having other plans to unleashing fake laptop on their citizens. All those french countries police don't joke oo.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by XAUBulls: 8:32am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.
Indeed.

I first visited Cote D'Ivoire in the late 1980s.

Abidjan was very organised. From the arrival at the airport and along the main boulevard right to the
Hotel Ivoire in the Cocody District where I stayed. People obeyed traffic lights and zebra-crossings, etc.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:47am On Apr 26, 2023
Good experience in an African Country, they are living like human beings, unlike.

Nice human beings smiley smiley, Nigeria is too big to be centralized, it needs what they call restructuring or regional government, so every region should govern itself.

If this is confirmed, i would love to relocate to ivory coast, and i will discard my Nigerian mad way of living cheesy cheesy, I would not tell them i am a Nigerian, or show their sickness grin grin. And i would be grateful for the chance to live as a human being. cool cool

If you have another chance, go visit Ivory coast and be like an Ivorian human being.
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence.

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left.
8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Prosperity4All: 8:47am On Apr 26, 2023
mmsen:

You can't just trade anywhere in London or New York. That's a lie. The problem in Nigeria is that anyone thinks that they can set up and start trading anything they want, anywhere that they want. In the aforementioned cities you need a license to be a street trader, a license to trade in the market and the areas are clearly delineated. In Nigeria someone post up outside of your home to be selling market.
So who is now lying...you or me.
I said you need to get your Operations Permit then you trade freely but you called it licence.
Are you talking what you have experienced or you were told.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Af0nja: 8:48am On Apr 26, 2023
Lies
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Gentlewhisper(m): 8:49am On Apr 26, 2023
Jux Cameronu... 24h power supply....
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by mmsen: 8:49am On Apr 26, 2023
Prosperity4All:

So who is now lying...you or me.
I said you need to get your Operations Permit then you trade freely but you called it licence.
I you talking what you have experienced or you were told.

I'm not a street trader. undecided

But if you said a permit is required then you said the same thing - a permit is a license, a license is a permit. Nobody lied there.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by MrDoGood(m): 8:57am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:

Gambia is a very good place to be. If you have the cash.

Going to ivory Coast should take up to 80k. But you must factor hotel bills and normal itinerary too

Please can you share info on how to.

By road ? Or air?

I'll like to visit in October
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Tegabadguy(m): 9:16am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

Nigeria for sell
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Iriruaga100(m): 9:16am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Comparing Nigeria to ivory coast is an insult in itself. Ghana is 100 times better than ivory coast. Ivory coast has been designated over and over again as a failed state. Cameroon, Gabon, Burundi, Niger, Chad, Mali, Burkina Faso, guinea and more are all french countries which are poverty stricken shitholes. FYI UK visa is the easiest for a Nigerian to get at the moment. We didn't even need a visa to the UK till your darling daddy buhari tried to kidnap umaru dikko and that ended the relationship we had with the UK with regards to visa free travel.

With all due respect Ghana is not better than Ivory Coast. Stop hyping Ghana. The good thing in Ghana is her stable electricity and security, nothing else is good about that place called Ghana.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by eepeepook: 9:17am On Apr 26, 2023
Why did the title unnecessarily change?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Theicecode(m): 9:49am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

Can't you post pictures?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by emmaodet: 10:02am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.

Haaaaaaa!!!!
So they have shifted from Ghana, Namibia, Bostwana to Ivory Coast??
Okay now.
We go soon get there.
Tenza be prepared for the next country.
It will be either Tanzania or Gambia or Senegal etc
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Wantedmiller: 10:04am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I posted verifiable data. Namibia has a higher youth unemployment rate than Nigeria.

Did you consider population?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Abbah504: 10:16am On Apr 26, 2023
Pictures would have made your story more appealing. It is interesting anyways.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by emmaodet: 10:16am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Comparing Nigeria to ivory coast is an insult in itself. Ghana is 100 times better than ivory coast. Ivory coast has been designated over and over again as a failed state. Cameroon, Gabon, Burundi, Niger, Chad, Mali, Burkina Faso, guinea and more are all french countries which are poverty stricken shitholes. FYI UK visa is the easiest for a Nigerian to get at the moment. We didn't even need a visa to the UK till your darling daddy buhari tried to kidnap umaru dikko and that ended the relationship we had with the UK with regards to visa free travel.

Leave them let them be capping.
French colonized countries in Africa are the poorest and most shit hole in Africa.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 10:28am On Apr 26, 2023
generationz:

OP how much is rent?_ how much did you get your one bedroom apartment and how much is two bedroom apartment?
A Nigerian lady there said rent is quite expensive.

Also, how did you deal with Language Barrier?

Rent is monthly. I lived in the rural area. I rented a One bedroom apartment which costs 40k/month.

In places that are well developed could coat around 30 - 35k for a studio (self con)

With a basic knowledge of francais, you'll be fine. No over do.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 10:31am On Apr 26, 2023
yom2:
that means they don't have vegetables

They do. What I mean is that I couldn't find our native vegetables there. It could be found in their supermarkets, though, I don't know. But I resided in the rural area. Village. I couldn't see any to make my food.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 10:36am On Apr 26, 2023
Ken4Christ:

How much is hotel bill per day?

And how much is a self contained apartment?

Do they speak English?

Hotel bills depends on the standard. 5k and above.

Self con is still dependent on standard. Rural area 30 to 35k per month.

French is their native language. You can find a few people who speak English, mostly foreigners like Nigerians and Co.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 10:38am On Apr 26, 2023
Mexyz:

The 80k is transportation only and it's by road right?
Yes
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 10:39am On Apr 26, 2023
PROPEACE:

How easy is it to get along without any knowledge of French?
use your Google translator
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 10:40am On Apr 26, 2023
Nonywendy:

80k is far way too small. Do u knw how much she will pay for her tp to and fro?
She only said going. Not returning.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by godofuck231: 10:47am On Apr 26, 2023
Mayorteddy59:
Stop giving false info about something you have little knowledge of. A tin of bonne rouge is just 500. And 500 here is not a lot of money unlike 🇳🇬. Everyone can easily afford it
lol ok go Abidjan na, when I visit I always have to buy milk , and if am moving from Nigeria its powered dano
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Alexyem(m): 10:55am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

Wow, Côté d ivoire also have it other side but is far better compared to Nigeria......... Almost 5years in the country
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by emmaodet: 10:57am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Continue to deceive yourself. I worked with sea shepherd on operation albacore three in 2018 and gabon is a huge shithole compared to Nigeria. A very useless country.

grin grin grin
Now it is Gabon. We are getting there.
I can't wait to hear Burkina Faso or Zambia
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by davywillis: 11:06am On Apr 26, 2023
DearGorgeous:
@Op - How much do I need to travel for let's say, three (3) weeks vacation to Ivory Coast? I was considering the Gambia initially, but it's like I already have a change of mind.

Ivory Coast is a very sweet place to be and most of what the OP said are true. If you want to visit and enjoy Ivory Coast, you will enjoy doing that travelling by road which will cost approximately #200k naira (Allez et Retour) as the current exchange is about #1,178.00 to 1000 Fcfa, which means the Fcfa is presently superior to the naira. When I say travel by road, is to make you gain some experiences you can always refer to, and you can make references about some other countries like Benin , Togo, and Ghana. The longest distance between Nigeria and Cote d'ivoire is Ghana, if not you can arrive same day. The journey is about 18hrs. You can book your travel ticket from Young shall grow office in Mile 2 Lagos. You don't need a passport compulsorily, but a Nigeria national ID card will suffice. Hotels are not cheap here, but you can get very good ones for 15 to 20k FCFA.

3 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 11:07am On Apr 26, 2023
Alexyem:

Wow, Côté d ivoire also have it other side but is far better compared to Nigeria......... Almost 5years in the country

Please post the other side of Cote D'Ivoire. I'll like to learn.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 11:35am On Apr 26, 2023
Antell95:
Uyo. Any good laptop to learn programming below 100k. Atleast 4gb ram. 2.50ghz dual processor minimum.
I get dell or HP with that configuration,my location is alaba international and email address ezefridayejiofor@gmail.com.thanks
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 11:36am On Apr 26, 2023
Antell95:
Uyo. Any good laptop to learn programming below 100k. Atleast 4gb ram. 2.50ghz dual processor minimum.
I get dell or HP with that configuration,my location is alaba international,
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Antell95(m): 11:38am On Apr 26, 2023
Umegoejiofor:
I get dell or HP with that configuration,my location is alaba international,
How much

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Twitter War: Nigeria Vs Kenya (Photos) / Huge Rock In Saudi Arabia Looks Like It Was Cut In Half With Laser Beam(Pics) / Lagos Passenger Sleeping Refused To Wake Up After Reaching Last Bus Stop (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.