Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,746 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? (72711 Views)

How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Africa Countries That Started And Completed Their Rail Mass Transit After Lagos / 6 Common Things We Do That Cause Accident While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Bkdson2121: 8:11pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.

Guy, you should have gingered us pictures na

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by PoliteActivist: 8:12pm On Apr 25, 2023
zilon12:
Hope you no be rich man wey dey for the best area in Abijan, and you are using one area in ivory coast to generalize

No really, I was in Abidjan years ago. It reminded exactly as Lagos must have been in 60's with less population, less everything bad, but expensive then though. Good things cost money. 24hr electricity - yes, if you can afford it!
Also, suprise - they don't understand English!
Also they still tied to France. Much more whites than Naija

9 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by sonature1: 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2023
Benwallt:

Naija mentality (a disgraceful and disreputable mentality). While the citizens of the other side prefer staying in their country, contribute their quota and develop their country. Very sad and thoughtless people full this country

Travelling and relocation are two different things, oga. Someone can travel for vacation.

If this country was working, why would anyone want to relocate, by the way?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Jeamillz2020(m): 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2023
I disagree with no.9 so much. Orange wey be say 1 nah 100f don't even go there food is a very big dissappointment

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Upanddown(f): 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2023
iLoveYouToo:
Things in Nigeria are expensive because there is little to no proper price control mechanisms. Cartels just fix whatever price they want and the consumers can either pay or fvck off.

In some markets, no commodity has a fixed price, they just tell you an amount and expect you to bargain, MADNESS

This is the major issue we/government need to tackle.
This will make a significant positive effect on the economy

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by 24SEVEN: 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

Do they speak any English there??

And.. How about ladies? You did not include that part. grin
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Kingsola47: 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.
BRO YOU LIE
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Holywizard: 8:14pm On Apr 25, 2023
Backpedal:

Ivory Coast is also very nice
I have been there and I can testify

Though it has its own problems too
This guy is lying.
I stayed in Sicoji Abidjan for 4 months.
Those locals are criminals and phone snatchers.
Every night they always steal and rob those Niger Republicans that own provision stores.

Crime rate in Ivory coast is high.
Their police dey extort those bus drivers and cab drivers like die but they don't do it like Nigerian policemen.
They will request for ur driving license and ur bus conductor will go down to give them money.

The country is good when u have money to relax.
It was during the ex president they were enjoying. Back then they were being paid monthly allowances for doing nothing

6 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by RepoMan007: 8:16pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:

I once ran into an article about yams going for like equivalent 100 Naira per huge tuber there. I discarded that article thinking it was an erroneous figure. Now I understand better.

Nigeria is a useless giant. Big for nothing giant. Corruption giant.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Benwallt(m): 8:19pm On Apr 25, 2023
sonature1:

Travelling and relocation are two different things, oga. Someone can travel for vacation.

If this country was working, why would anyone want to relocate, by the way?

When those countries were not working, if their citizens had ran to another country they will still come back to meet their country on ruin.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by udomma1005(m): 8:20pm On Apr 25, 2023
Orfankwagh:
Every country good,na only NIGERIA my country no good. Yet some people with all the OP write up here,them still they support that cartel man make e come add fuel ontop the small damages wey we dey fight against.
Cartel man... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by PoliteActivist: 8:20pm On Apr 25, 2023
Jeamillz2020:
I disagree with no.9 so much. Orange wey be say 1 nah 100f don't even go there food is a very big diss. appointment

You right. I don't know where he got that from. Abidjan is expensive.
Nice tho

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by RepoMan007: 8:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
Gerrard59:

There are no jobs in Namibia o. You need to read Namibians wailing on Reddit. Namibia was top three in the number of unemployed citizens globally before Covid. Nigerian youths have more economic opportunities to than the average Namibian youth. If the country was relatively peaceful, people would have moved to LCOL states especially in the north and middle belt. Tensa20 is right, only South Africa should be compared to Nigeria. As for others esp those island states, it is an orange-to-apple comparison. Those countries are good to live safely, but not for economic opportunities. Ivory Coast is not even in the top five economies in sub-Saharan Africa. Ghana, upon her perennial IMF begi-begi, has a bigger economy than Ivory Coast.

That was how someone said Sudan is better than Nigeria because Ireland does not subject doctors trained there to qualifying exams. Sudan better than Nigeria? Maybe to groom terrorists.
Nigeria is like one Venezuela merged with 7 Haiti. A giant shithole.

5 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Oyindidi(f): 8:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

please how much does petrol cost per liter?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 8:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I posted verifiable data. Namibia has a higher youth unemployment rate than Nigeria.

Unemployment rate in Nigeria is 37 % + while Namibia is about 23%.

Youth unemployment in Nigeria is about 53% while Namibia has about 40%.

If Namibia youths are go getters/hustlers like Nigerian youths their numbers won't be that high.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by BigCowHornn: 8:23pm On Apr 25, 2023
Highesschief1:
Travelling is the best gift you can give yourself...

I thought I was the only one with that mentality

I travel a lot. This insecurIty just spoil things

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by highoctane: 8:24pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:

Gambia is a very good place to be. If you have the cash.

Going to ivory Coast should take up to 80k. But you must factor hotel bills and normal itinerary too
They don't have BnB? Which are plentiful here
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.
I Swear the guy can lie !
I used to stay in cocody and later moved to Plataue 2 not very for from the Nigeria Embassy which is opposite their National stadium.
Me and my friends always go to Zone 4 ( it's reminded me of our Abuja Zone 4 that also have plenty Ashawo ). to carry Ashawo . You can find all kind of Ashawo of different Nationalities.
So I dont know the cote d'voire that his is talking about ?

3 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by sonature1: 8:25pm On Apr 25, 2023
Benwallt:

When those countries were not working, if their citizens had ran to another country they will still come back to meet their country on ruin.

There's a systemic ploy by devilish Nigerians to keep Nigeria grounded in our lifetime. Those who wish to flee can while the rest who don't have a problem with the contraption can stay back and enjoy it.

3 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by ruggedtimi(m): 8:26pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Dude no one hates Nigeria more than I do but there's data and data doesn't care about feelings. When I newly got into tech I was always on job sites and Nigeria and south Africa are the only countries in Africa with job openings. This isn't even related to tech. I am talking about the general job market. I am posting all the number of jobs from LinkedIn from both Namibia and Nigeria under this post.
oya apply and wait for feedback
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:27pm On Apr 25, 2023
ruggedtimi:
oya apply and wait for feedback

I got my first job in Nigeeia by applying like that. In Namibia there's no even job to apply to. Those 213 jobs, 90 percent are ads from foreign companies. Local jobs are like 10.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by fuckfuckman(m): 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
6 years in Ivory Coast and I don’t think I’m coming back anytime soon,
The last time I came back to Nigeria I was Harassed at the Nigerian border Ny NDLEA for no reason
Extorted in Lagos Island by police for absolutely no offense
Intimidated by the street cultist
Lost a lot of items all these happened in the space of 1 month

To me going to Nigeria now is like going to war

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Elev82014: 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

And you want to know why your country is NOT working? Well, your country was designed from the jump start by the British to fail, and to make matters worse, they put the Fulanis, a nomadic group of terrorists who are never interested in progress to be in charge of you. They prefer to waka-about and sleep in the bushes with their cows, bathe with the cows' urine, and get sexual gratification by having sex with them. So, if you want your life to be better and more meaningful than what it is now, you have to extricate yourself from the failed country of Nigeria. But as long as you remain in one country with a people with such a retrogressive mindset, you and your generation would NEVER know peace or experience any progress.

7 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Dshocker(m): 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
10. The use of generators: I never heard the sound of generators throughout my stay there. Even barbershops don't have it. Light is in abundance. Many times I cut my hair in their shops, I looked out for generator even one of those days there was interruption in power, no barber owned a generator to assist his work. Nobody at all. Total blackouts is generally distributed once there's interruption due to maintenance.

Why won't the barbers make it, financially there? cheesy

Aboyaji i want to ask 2 questions.

1.... What is their perception about Nigeria, especially when they hear you speak English, because the country is a French speaking country.

2..... What are the characteristics of their girls compared to ours?

3.... Which business do you think, one can establish there that can fetch a fortune?

Thank you...
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by zoghys: 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2023
Greatness09:
Same thing someone visiting Nigeria and stayed only in Lekki will say Nigeria is a very beautiful and organized place…..LMAO πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Take keke go Ikorodu first

Wetin do ikorodu?, There are so many places in Lagos here that ikorodu is far much better. So stop mentioning ikorodu as if it's a village.

7 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by umbo: 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2023
ivory cost is good for food ,security, light and peace of mind I have been to all west African countries except ,Liberia and serial Leone U u must learn and speak French to feel at home

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by ogmask: 8:34pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.

But Morocco like bribe gan... Them nearly finish me for Maroc with demand for egunje. If them know say you be Nigerian dem don hammer be dat.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Coolsphinx: 8:34pm On Apr 25, 2023
It's not true, some African countries are relatively better and safe than Nigeria even Gabon, Libreville and Port gentiles are 100% better than Nigeria, stable power supply, good road network, affordable good food, easy access to menial jobs that pay good like hustling in their seaports, they eat more of assorted fish, our regular frozen fish there is not even considered a fish, they eat different types of good fish freshly gotten by Nigerian fishermen from ilaje and ijaw and Sao tome fishermen who go to fishing on the high sea on a daily basis than red beef, they flex weekends like carnivals good music, drinks and barbecue fish from Friday evening till late hours of Sunday night, nothing robbery, the only thing amazing about Nigeria is our music and social life and Nigerians got style besides that Naija is messed up, highly insecured with greedy politicians. Luanda, Angola is also cool.
tensazangetsu20:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by savcy(m): 8:34pm On Apr 25, 2023
What is the cost of rent, and flight ticket?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:36pm On Apr 25, 2023
Coolsphinx:
It's not true, some African countries are relatively better and safe than Nigeria even Gabon, Libreville and Port gentiles are 100% better than Nigeria, stable power supply, good road network, affordable good food, easy access to menial jobs that pay good like hustling in their seaports, they eat more of assorted fish, our regular frozen fish there is not even considered a fish, they eat different types of good fish freshly gotten by Nigerian fishermen from ilaje and ijaw and Sao tome fishermen who go to fishing on the high sea on a daily basis than red beef, they flex weekends like carnivals good music, drinks and barbecue fish from Friday evening till late hours of Sunday night, nothing robbery, the only thing amazing about Nigeria is our music and social life and Nigerians got style besides that Naija is messed up, highly insecured with greedy politicians. Luanda, Angola is also cool.

Continue to deceive yourself. I worked with sea shepherd on operation albacore three in 2018 and gabon is a huge shithole compared to Nigeria. A very useless country.

4 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by sageb: 8:36pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

From your review, this place is nice.
what about cost of accommodation and job opportunities?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Twitter War: Nigeria Vs Kenya (Photos) / Huge Rock In Saudi Arabia Looks Like It Was Cut In Half With Laser Beam(Pics) / Lagos Passenger Sleeping Refused To Wake Up After Reaching Last Bus Stop (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.