Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,400 members, 7,815,872 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl (19032 Views)

I Wanted To Start a Mini Poultry business And Need Advice / Mini Poultry With OBJ Marshall Male Line (my Experience ) / Welcome to my Mini Poultry. Whereby I’m using mostly Organic Vaccinations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Demurray: 9:29pm On May 12, 2023
tocin44:

I've heard of Noiler, the chickerite dual I don't think I have.

Could you please say a little more about it and how it differs from Noiler?
Yes noiler is perfectly for your description , I have it at my backyard bought it 4 weeks old and it's 8 weeks old now
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by LOVEGINO(m): 9:29pm On May 12, 2023
Baba na local dog oooo.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Glory2DLamb(m): 9:30pm On May 12, 2023
fatherjesse:
Noilers are good but tend to grow too slowly

You were swindled.
Noilers grow fast,big and heavy.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 12, 2023
Any suggestion other than Cockerel, is wrong.
We have been rearing Cockerel for more than 3 years for consumption. We feeds them corn mix with fish heads, that's all. No drugs, no treatment, no antibiotics, no nothing, they will never get sick in any condition. For the eggs, we got three local birds, Cockerel go on them always and they give us eggs always ( while eggs ) that's how we roll.
Go for cockerel. They eat anything and will not get sick.

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by denigma2(m): 9:41pm On May 12, 2023
Please what are the breeds of your broilers?
Theanchor:
I have been rearing chickens just for family consumption for over 2yrs now and I can tell you it's a good thing to do. But coming to the best breed, well it all depends on you as no particular breed is better than the other in the real sense of it.
Noilers are good but the prize per day old is even higher than some good breeds of broilers whereas broilers grow bigger than them.
As for egg production, I have reared broilers that started laying eggs from 6months and continued until I slaughtered them.
As for feeding, the only time I give my broilers feed is in their first two weeks after which I feed them with corn and leftovers and just anything that local chickens eat, yet if you see their sizes and weight, you will marvel. And when you cook them, you hardly distinguish their tastes from that of local chickens.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by halibaba(m): 9:44pm On May 12, 2023
cheesy
OPweysabi:
Abólórùn adìye.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Chykes403: 9:55pm On May 12, 2023
Can be fed with anything like leftovers?

Ok VULTURE grin

2 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by olarent: 10:03pm On May 12, 2023
Please how do you do it?presently i have 3broiler,2noiler and 3 turkey for personal rearing have spent close to 25k on their feeding they refuse to eat left over food how can i do it so that they we start eaten leftover food?
Theanchor:
I have been rearing chickens just for family consumption for over 2yrs now and I can tell you it's a good thing to do. But coming to the best breed, well it all depends on you as no particular breed is better than the other in the real sense of it.
Noilers are good but the prize per day old is even higher than some good breeds of broilers whereas broilers grow bigger than them.
As for egg production, I have reared broilers that started laying eggs from 6months and continued until I slaughtered them.
As for feeding, the only time I give my broilers feed is in their first two weeks after which I feed them with corn and leftovers and just anything that local chickens eat, yet if you see their sizes and weight, you will marvel. And when you cook them, you hardly distinguish their tastes from that of local chickens.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Demurray: 10:03pm On May 12, 2023
fatherjesse:
Noilers are good but tend to grow too slowly
Oga na lie, nioilers dey grow faster and bigger. I get some at my backyard doing good

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Marpol: 10:09pm On May 12, 2023
tocin44:
I am planning to start a small poultry behind my house and would appreciate suggestions from people with experience here on the best breeds to go with.

What I'm looking for;

1. Easy to care for and not requiring too much attention.

2. Breed that is resilient.

3. Breed that can possibly produce small amounts of eggs for family consumption.

4. Can be fed with anything, leftovers, basically not requiring spending much on feed, even if I'll have to.

5. Can grow to a reasonable size for consumption (at least bigger than our regular local breeds)

Suggestions please.
Hoping I and others can learn from the experienced nairalanders. Thank you. 🙏 🙂

All these parameters you've tabled points to a local fowl! just buy 1 or more, drop them in your premises and by December you ask neighbourhood boys to catch them for you grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by frozen70(f): 10:28pm On May 12, 2023
tocin44:
I am planning to start a small poultry behind my house and would appreciate suggestions from people with experience here on the best breeds to go with.

What I'm looking for;

1. Easy to care for and not requiring too much attention.

2. Breed that is resilient.

3. Breed that can possibly produce small amounts of eggs for family consumption.

4. Can be fed with anything, leftovers, basically not requiring spending much on feed, even if I'll have to.

5. Can grow to a reasonable size for consumption (at least bigger than our regular local breeds)

Suggestions please.
Hoping I and others can learn from the experienced nairalanders. Thank you. 🙏 🙂

In my own case, I have a mini poultry at the back yard and I don't regret having them, it's just for family consumptions

I have turkey which I bought from one month, feed them strictly on new hope feed up till five months then start adding maize to their feed

They grow very big and that's what I usually slaughter in December for Christmas and new year celebration

Then I have Noiler which I cross with native and I like the outcome of the chicks they hatch

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by adecz: 10:28pm On May 12, 2023
You are asking for too much, but
Basically want to spend nothing.

When you keep free range chickens,
you shouldn't be planning to eat their
eggs since the eggs will be fertilized and
contain embryos.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Epicji: 10:32pm On May 12, 2023
Pls go for sasso.you ll thank me later. Its for meat n egg.

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by macho44(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2023
Benki003:
Local fowl (especially those ones that usually roam about
You mean, the Ekuke's of the FOWL Kingdom?

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by nedekid: 11:58pm On May 12, 2023
Benki003:

I so much love that species eh ❤️🥰 when I had one I acted like a pet dog always working around with me, comes to greet me in the morning and also when am coming back from school

Omo killing that chicken was really hard for me
You killed and ate your pet? grin
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:59pm On May 12, 2023
Theanchor:

Wow really? Is that advisable for broilers? Feed them with leftovers instead of their food that comes inside sack?
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Airlord2030: 12:00am On May 13, 2023
SsweetAnn:
Any suggestion other than Cockerel, is wrong.
We have been rearing Cockerel for more than 3 years for consumption. We feeds them corn mix with fish heads, that's all. No drugs, no treatment, no antibiotics, no nothing, they will never get sick in any condition. For the eggs, we got three local birds, Cockerel go on them always and they give us eggs always ( while eggs ) that's how we roll.
Go for cockerel. They eat anything and will not get sick.
they disturb too much with their noise abeg
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by millhouse: 1:37am On May 13, 2023
olarent:
Please how do you do it?presently i have 3broiler,2noiler and 3 turkey for personal rearing have spent close to 25k on their feeding they refuse to eat left over food how can i do it so that they we start eaten leftover food?
hahaha .. na the birds dey chop you be that … before u go chop them
U fit don spend reach 100k o

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by nomaison(m): 3:40am On May 13, 2023
Try Brahma chicken and thank me later. Ours lay approximately 16 eggs upward, and they feed on local feeds. But for maximum utilisation, I will suggest you feed them well.

3 Likes

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by cardoso514: 4:43am On May 13, 2023
Go for noilers
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Nobody: 5:41am On May 13, 2023
Airlord2030:
they disturb too much with their noise abeg
Noise ? Really? Are you sure you're talking about cockerel? Or do you mean the noise in the morning about 6 to 7? Well, thaga normal, they do. But in my house we have their house few radius away from the main building. But give it to cockerel, they are very strong.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Sirseedorf(m): 5:57am On May 13, 2023
I heard noiler is good and behave like local fowl, go for it.
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by immortalmortal: 6:16am On May 13, 2023
Try noilers
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Benki003(m): 6:20am On May 13, 2023
macho44:

You mean, the Ekuke's of the FOWL Kingdom?

Exactly grin

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Benki003(m): 6:22am On May 13, 2023
nedekid:

You killed and ate your pet? grin

I had to choose between it or buying frozen chicken 😂😂

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Kennyashe2002(m): 6:43am On May 13, 2023
Noiler will be d best..
PapaGfad:

Then your answer is noiler or chickerite dual.

1 Like

Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Aarenasbaba(m): 6:50am On May 13, 2023
Noiler is the best
Re: The Best Breeds For mini poultry for personal Consumption. Suggestions needed pl by Theanchor: 7:05am On May 13, 2023
denigma2:
Please what are the breeds of your broilers?

I do rear Ross 308 from Agrited Hatchery. But the ones I have now is Cobb 500 from Zartech Hatchery. I bought them in December and they have been doing excellently well, eating anything I give them.
Why I switched to Cobb breed is because they are cheaper than Ross breed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charcoal Suppliers, Let's Meet Here / Nigerian States And Their Agricultural Produce. / Agro Alliied Equipment Service, Manufacturing, Sales,installation And Maintenanc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.