Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,974 members, 7,825,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? (26714 Views)

When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12 / Percentage Of Wives That Earn More Than Their Husbands In Nigeria / Lady Goes For Photoshoot With Her Father; He Outshines her (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by walexsho(m): 7:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
Remina:
Please if anybody can help me with any little amount to eat I will be very happy. Feeding is a big problem for me and my family please no matter how small. I havent eaten anything since yesterday in the morning pls. My dad is a retired teacher and my mom is late. Am a single mother with my own son mouth to feed, the little money i make have use it to cater for my dad illness and pay house rent but his health is getting worst. Now we can't even eat or buy water to drink. Please if you're reading this message pls come to our aid, no matter how small it will go a long way pls. May God meet you at the point of your need as you have show us mercy amen

Acct num:
Faith
First Bank
you dey craze na everyday you dey find something to eat on every thread

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by PotatoSalad(m): 8:00pm On Apr 29, 2023
elipheleh:
My 5 days salary pays my rent for the year.

By the way my rent is 500k a year.

And I've been earning 3M monthly and believing God for 6M per month soon.
Omo naira useless sha. Convert am to USD and you will cry. 3m is 4k USD.
That means you're making 48k usd yearly.
Still below the median income in US.
But you're among the top 1% in Nigeria.
Nice but sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Loyalty1: 8:02pm On Apr 29, 2023
elipheleh:

Na Jesus Christ run am for me.
Just 2 years ago I was in premium poverty and lack:

* I borrowed to marry. I couldn't even pay once or twice or even thrice. It was paid in installments.
* I couldn't not afford hotel for honey moon.
* I could not afford hospital fee for delivery.
* I could not afford house rent. NSPPD and not NDPPD. Yes oooo miracle does not taya Jesus
* Even feeding sef was war

I begged for all these things.

I joined an online prayer platform (NDPPD LIVE ) on youtube every 7am from Monday to Fridays. where I prayed my hearts out, in less than a year, Jesus Christ turned my life story around.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Kelvindate(m): 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
[quote author=elipheleh post=122829002]

Lol. I know it sounds crazy. I work 2 jobs

Job 1.
CONTEC Global. We produce expertraits CERPAC cards (Combined Expertraits Residence Permit and Aliens Cards) for the Nigerian Immigration service. It is the Nigerian residence permit and work permit for foreigners living and working in Nigeria.
Just Google the company CONTEC. The salary is very very small. Not up to 150k in naira monthly.

Job 2.
Second job is programming job for a USA company. I work remotely. Salary is 4k US Dollar (ie 3 million naira) monthly. Soon to be increased to 8k monthly.

Modified
I return all the glory to Jesus Christ. He is the doer.
[/quote

Wow. Can you tell me how you are able to manage your time to acheive this coz I tried working 2 jobs 1 remote and 1 onsite. Please tell me how you manage your time?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ufotty2001: 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2023
Obavoh:
I live in my own personal house with my family. The only thing I spend on is minor repairs and here and there.

I believe you shouldn’t use more than 2 months salary to pay rent.

Invest in a land as cheap as possible even if it is in a rural area. You can lease it to someone to farm on if you are not financially buoyant to start building.

You also don’t have to wait till you have millions to build, start a little project such as a 2 bedroom, you will never regret it

Thanks for this advice. I bought a plot of land. I always have the mentality that u most save huge amount of money before u start building..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by smasher1(m): 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viking07:
The average Abuja salary starts from 50-70k. 100k is considered a good pay in Abuja. Now which part of Abuja can you rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment with 200k(2 months salary)?

Nigerians in general are suffering from hyperinflation but nobody cares. Price of items keeps going up while salary remains constant. People now use their 3-5 months salary to pay as rent. In gwarimpa. A selfcon is between 900k-1m. How many Nigerians earn 500k monthly? Lol how many can even boast of 200k saved in their accounts at any point in time? We’re joking in this country.

PS: There’s a difference between Abuja and FCT. 😁😆. Gwarimpa, Garki, Maitama =Abuja
Nyanya, gwagwalada, bwari, Kuje =FCT.

What is anyone with below 100k salary doing in a one bedroom apartment? With 100k or below your highest apartment should be 120k
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by kingreign(m): 8:15pm On Apr 29, 2023
lavylilly:
inside Gbesa it 250k two bedroom.

Where is Gbesa?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mployer(m): 8:17pm On Apr 29, 2023
lavylilly:
inside Bariga or inside Igando, ibeshe in Ikorodu or Ajuwon axis you will see 3-bedroom for 200k

I said good location. The places you mentioned are not good locations.

Moreover you can't get 3 bedroom for 200k anywhere in Ikorodu, let alone Bariga.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by evictor305: 8:23pm On Apr 29, 2023
Your rent should not pass what your 3 or 4 months net salary can cover. That means if your net monthly salary is 100k, your rent should be between 300 or 400k max (Note: NET salary o). That means you will have to be saving 25k out of the 100k to meetup with your annual rent. That's around 25% of your net salary. Hope you understand
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Rubbiish(m): 8:31pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viking07:
The average Abuja salary starts from 50-70k. 100k is considered a good pay in Abuja. Now which part of Abuja can you rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment with 200k(2 months salary)?

Nigerians in general are suffering from hyperinflation but nobody cares. Price of items keeps going up while salary remains constant. People now use their 3-5 months salary to pay as rent. In gwarimpa. A selfcon is between 900k-1m. How many Nigerians earn 500k monthly? Lol how many can even boast of 200k saved in their accounts at any point in time? We’re joking in this country.

PS: There’s a difference between Abuja and FCT. 😁😆. Gwarimpa, Garki, Maitama =Abuja
Nyanya, gwagwalada, bwari, Kuje =FCT.
This is a realistic post
Those saying 2 months salary for rent, I wonder where they are living, certainly not in a place like abuja. Even in the FCT, u can't get a decent accommodation for less than 400k/500k. The likes of garki & maitama are for politicians

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by malcom1X: 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2023
elipheleh:

Na Jesus Christ run am for me.
Just 2 years ago I was in premium poverty and lack:

* I borrowed to marry. I couldn't even pay once or twice or even thrice. It was paid in installments.
* I couldn't not afford hotel for honey moon.
* I could not afford hospital fee for delivery.
* I could not afford house rent.
* Even feeding sef was war

I begged for all these things.

I joined an online prayer platform (NDPPD LIVE ) on youtube every 7am from Monday to Fridays. where I prayed my hearts out, in less than a year, Jesus Christ turned my life story around.

This story isn't complete if you didn't tell us the part where you learnt programming and what programming language.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ufotty2001: 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2023
I earn up to N700k per month but my rent is not up to 10% of that amount.. am currently planning to build my house although.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Paramount01(m): 8:34pm On Apr 29, 2023
Oyerinde16:
I earn about 2m a year, house rent is 600k... What's the percentage... I think it's about 30something percent

For which city you base
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ERCROSS(m): 8:35pm On Apr 29, 2023
elipheleh:
My 5 days salary pays my rent for the year.

By the way my rent is 500k a year.

And I've been earning 3M monthly and believing God for 6M per month soon.

Bros, where you dey live? I wan Kon visit you grin
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by HeartlessMan: 8:36pm On Apr 29, 2023
I don't pay house rent. I live in my shrine.
Come.
A trial will convince you.

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Rubbiish(m): 8:38pm On Apr 29, 2023
staga:

Someone earning 100k a month in Abuja has no business living in Gwarinpa or anywhere inside town. Maybe in Nyanya or Mararaba or Lugbe or Kubwa.
I am afraid there is almost no cost difference between house rent in gwarinpa & lugbe/kubwa of recent.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Neddyogu(m): 8:38pm On Apr 29, 2023
U should be able to save up for ur rent in 3 months max. If not, u are living in an apartment u can’t afford.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by HarunaWest(m): 8:39pm On Apr 29, 2023
26%
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by caandi: 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2023
elipheleh:

Lol. I know it sounds crazy. I work 2 jobs

Job 1.
CONTEC Global. We produce expertraits CERPAC cards (Combined Expertraits Residence Permit and Aliens Cards) for the Nigerian Immigration service. It is the Nigerian residence permit and work permit for foreigners living and working in Nigeria.
Just Google the company CONTEC. The salary is very very small. Not up to 150k in naira monthly.

Job 2.
Second job is programming job for a USA company. I work remotely. Salary is 4k US Dollar (ie 3 million naira) monthly. Soon to be increased to 8k monthly.

Modified
I return all the glory to Jesus Christ. He is the doer.
I tap into this grace for my baby brother and more as he studied computer science and is undergoing his programming skills/courses
I praise God for you
You’re doing well

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by staga: 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2023
kingreign:

Do you know how much it cost to rent a 1bedroom in Kubwa or Lugbe?
Lol.

I doubt you do.

Las las we go dey alright.

I am no longer in tune with the prices. It used to be 800k in Lugbe when I left Naija in 2019.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Darkandhandsom(m): 8:42pm On Apr 29, 2023
Lie lie people everywhere cheesy
I earn 40 million monthly
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Mexyz(m): 8:42pm On Apr 29, 2023
70% of my one month salary takes care of my annual rent.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by akpumping7720(m): 8:44pm On Apr 29, 2023
A friend is earning 85k per month. But his side hustles give him additional 160k every month. He wants to move into an apartment of 500k per annum. We advise him to peg his rent to his constant monthly salary instead of the side hustles that can be bursted at anytime. Bba refused sha

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by kingreign(m): 8:50pm On Apr 29, 2023
staga:

I am no longer in tune with the prices. It used to be 800k in Lugbe when I left Naija in 2019.
E go don Dey do 1.5m there for trademore.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by LaSenior: 8:50pm On Apr 29, 2023
SultanOfAbia:
You can convert your sienna into bed and sleep inside it with doors locked.
Sienna way big pass some people living room.

In USA people sleep and live inside their cars for months and save up money.

If your car is tinted, even better for you
At night after every every,
you just collapse the seats and turn it into bed and sleep inside with doors locked. For the single ones it's much easier.
Save up your salary till it's enough to buy house

I went for charter service with my seinna and it was a two night movement I folded my small camp bed inside the boot when we got to the destination everyone came down for what they came for in the night I removed all the chairs out of the car spread my bed inside on the car ac for 1hr because it was night the AC worked at a chilling pace Omo be small experience oooo
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by dfrost: 8:52pm On Apr 29, 2023
turmacs:
How many times una wan ask this question? Something a simple Google search can answer. Multiple threads that made front page have created on this same topic but one stupid mod still decided to push this to FP. All of una for this forum they mad....Don't go and plan on how to start building your own house you hear? Idiot. Dey ask percent of your salary wey you go pay as rent, rubbish man. Na your mate dey build mansions for festac up and down and Marry young women like us at an early age. You still dey pay rent, nonsense. Stupid men like you are the reason a lot of beautiful young woman like us are not married yet.

cheesy grin na fight?

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ukaface(f): 8:53pm On Apr 29, 2023
27%
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by adekS1(m): 8:58pm On Apr 29, 2023
Diligent1:
100% of my one month salary for a year rent, I can't kill myself with responsibilities.
I read it somewhere from a financial consultant that a year rent should not pass your 2 months salaries.
This Consultantbadvice is not for Lagos ppl
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by chiboycue: 8:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
Pussykills:
Please I need sincere inputs. Those leaving with someone, please don't derail this thread. Just read an learn.

I'm planning on relocating to new area in Abuja but I'm really confused if 20% of salary is too much to pay for rent.

Where I currently stay lacks some amenities and I pay 10% of my salary for rent.

What percentage of your salary goes to rent? How much do you think should be the ideal percentage of salary for rent??

I think the right percentage would allow for proper saving to allow one build his or her own apartment.

Thank you for your responses.

It depend on your status. If you are single man then it would be good to settle for a self contain apartment, preferably at the out skirt of Abuja and rent could be N150,000 - N200,000. If you are married without kid then one room apartment could be okay for you and budget N300,000 - N350,000 for it but if you are married with children then two bedroom apartment and a budget of N500000 -N700,000

If you salary is say N150000 and you get a self contain of say N150,000, you may need to use like two months of you salary to pay for the rent cos you need to pay for agent fee as well and so you may end up paying N165,000.

If you looking for an accomodation of N150,000 then you must be earning N1,500,000 as monthly salary to be thinking of paying 10% of your salary as rent and is hard to earn such a salary.

At time if you are looking for accomodation, don't look at the percentage of salary that it would cost you, rather look at what you can afford to pay and whether you can renew the rent after a year.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ElijahIme1992(m): 9:00pm On Apr 29, 2023
turmacs:
How many times una wan ask this question? Something a simple Google search can answer. Multiple threads that made front page have created on this same topic but one stupid mod still decided to push this to FP. All of una for this forum they mad....Don't go and plan on how to start building your own house you hear? Idiot. Dey ask percent of your salary wey you go pay as rent, rubbish man. Na your mate dey build mansions for festac up and down and Marry young women like us at an early age. You still dey pay rent, nonsense. Stupid men like you are the reason a lot of beautiful young woman like us are not married yet.
looool marriage no be poverty alleviation program, if ur guy no get money marry u nothing dey stop u from hustling to marry am, abi u no get hand and leg?

3 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by yemmit90: 9:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
HRSweetness:
This saying your rent should be 1 month's salary, please where do you live? What kind of shelter would that be?

Is like you don't know that alot of jokers and unrealistic people full Nairaland.

Except you earn 300k and above, there is no way your 2 months salary will cover your rent if you stay at city centre. Some in the name of cutting cost will get cheap apartments at remote areas and end up spending ×2 of the same rent on transportation.

5 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ElijahIme1992(m): 9:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
chiboycue:

It depend on your status. If you are single man then it would be good to settle for a self contain apartment, preferably at the out skirt of Abuja and rent could be N150,000 - N200,000. If you are married without kid then one room apartment could be okay for you and budget N300,000 - N350,000 for it but if you are married with children then two bedroom apartment and a budget of N500000 -N700,000

If you salary is say N150000 and you get a self contain of say N150,000, you may need to use like two months of you salary to pay for the rent cos you need to pay for agent fee as well and so you may end up paying N165,000.

If you looking for an accomodation of N150,000 then you must be earning N1,500,000 as monthly salary to be thinking of paying 10% of your salary as rent and is hard to earn such a salary.

At time if you are looking for accomodation, don't look at the percentage of salary that it would cost you, rather look at what you can afford to pay and whether you can renew the rent after a year.
Oga u no do maths, how can somebody earning 1.5 million struggle to pay rent of 150000 naira, I just hope say na typographical error..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Share Your Addiction!! / Woman Who Gave Birth To Triplets Begs In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Mother Of The Onitsha Boy Punched To Death By Classmate Laments (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.