Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,183 members, 7,829,242 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN (13389 Views)

Obaseki To Commission N1bn ‘Sen. Daisy Danjuma Hostel’ At UNIBEN Today (Photos) / Umahi Performs Groundbreaking For Construction Of Computer Village Estate / Sanwo-Olu Performs Groundbreaking Ceremony For 37Km Mass Rail (Red Line) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Achobaisiochu: 1:27pm On Apr 30, 2023
wonder233:
Uniben my alma mater... It was so much fun attending the school back then, those carefree days. Halls 1 & 2 were girls hostels, 3 & 4 boys hostels. Further down was PG hostel.
Those female hostels had so many beautiful girls... Cool evening like this, we will just stroll down and be looking for how to collect numbers 😀😀😀
But hall 3 is no longer boys hostel anymore, is now female hostel.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Officialenny1: 1:28pm On Apr 30, 2023
I know my sch ... Dem go destroy the hostel within 6 months na pile of shits and pad una go see

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by wonder233: 1:34pm On Apr 30, 2023
Ohhhh wow! Thanks for the update
Achobaisiochu:
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Achobaisiochu: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2023
Eastcoastboy:
Nobody send boys/male for Nigerian tertiary institutions.
Imagine having only one male hostel against more than 5 female hostels na this woman VC do am.
Almighty hall 3 male hostel had been given to females, males are only left with hall 4.
The female VC want to convert uniben hostels to all female hostels, I think that is her target.

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by toprealman: 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2023
What we consider as important in Niger Nigeria is really laughable!
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by webosky: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2023
Achobaisiochu:

Nope its mixed now
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by webosky: 1:41pm On Apr 30, 2023
[quote author=Achobaisiochu post=122840661] But hall 3 is no longer boys hostel anymore, is now female hostel.[/quote
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by BigIyanga: 1:59pm On Apr 30, 2023
helinues:
Just hearing the name of the health minister for the first time.

Where has he been?
You have been following gossip blogs..if u watched tne news during covid, you would have seen him

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by ridwanlawal: 2:42pm On Apr 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Option b would be the stidents stay off campus in sometimes unsafe areas.

( I lived off campus. Na God wey dey keep us sometimes self)
Schon Hostel or off campus
Both have their advantages and disadvantages just to vary them and choose which suits you
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by nairalanda1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 30, 2023
cezarman:

So the students are handicapped that they'll rather live in shit because nobody helped them clean up?

The students no dey try at all... Very dirty people. The female own dey shock me pass.

Yeah students should be neat, but at the same time, the cleaning up of the school hostels is the job of the cleaners, as is the maintenance of the facility...for the janitor or their equivalent in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by ukaface(f): 2:45pm On Apr 30, 2023
Students ain’t only the ones to maintain it
The management has an higher responsibility to maintain it.

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by nairalanda1(m): 2:54pm On Apr 30, 2023
viodemus:
Dem wan pack them in there as sardines

Repackaged suffering

The most useless country in the world. The people involved in the project from idea of project to finishing the project, probably marked up a lot of money for the project, so they built this rubbish. If it is not 2 people per room, then it is thrash, inconvenient, and suffer head.

I wonder about the plumbing, the interior ease of movement, etc. Nigeria is just a very wicked place with straight face. They are really spoiling the igbos, teaching igbos bad ways of conduct. Igbos please shun these criminal ways, let us not act and live like people that scores 1 or 2 in a test and their graduate slaves. Let us do our best for the collective progress of all. It will favor us.

Your comment reminds me of the time when as a young medico, I once asked my oga why we did not have an anesthesia workstation at the rural hospital where I was working at the time. The man just dey look me with amusement and told me that if he got one, the cost of operations in the hospital, already rock bottom because na rural area we dey, would shoot up.

We could build a posh hostel, with each student having a room, but it would

1.Cost far more than this hostel, it would cost something like trillions of naira

2.Also cost far more in maintenance costs every year.

You know why universites overseas have high running costs...and have to charge high fees? Because they build the stuff you are crying for.

Me, I would agree we should build better hostels for Nigerian unviersities. But at the end , when fees go up to keep the hostel well maintained, people like you will start crying we are poor. So government will then spend more than the budget to keep up the thing...until the inevitable happens, either government runs out of money, or we take more loans.

You want high quality, you either pay the taxes, or the fees that can pay for that, or you just keep quiet, and accept the rubbish we have as hostels, because that is what we can afford in truth, even if we somehow manage to stop looting and corruption.

Modified

Below is the University of Toronto's student apartments. It cost the university some 68 million dollars Canadian to buy. Or 22 billion naira. Meanwhile, UNN Nssuka's budget allawee for this year was 25 billion naira. We could get the money for Nsukka to afford things like this.....but it means more taxes and higher fees. You ready to pay? By the way it houses 1000 students only.

2 Likes

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Menclothing: 3:08pm On Apr 30, 2023
Nice gesture
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by EducatedMind369: 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2023
Achobaisiochu:
It's mixed now.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by EmmyMaestro(m): 4:22pm On Apr 30, 2023
Tomorrow we'll now hear that someone forgot to switch off boiling ring or pressing iron and the rest will be history.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Ebenezer2021(m): 4:29pm On Apr 30, 2023
Officialenny1:
I know my sch ... Dem go destroy the hostel within 6 months na pile of shits and pad una go see
grin

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Eastcoastboy(m): 4:55pm On Apr 30, 2023
Achobaisiochu:
Imagine having only one male hostel against more than 5 female hostels na this woman VC do am.
Almighty hall 3 male hostel had been given to females, males are only left with hall 4.
The female VC want to convert uniben hostels to all female hostels, I think that is her target.

The truth is that the world will always place the female folk over the male and expect them to deal with it, when they the males deal with it and come back strong and turn into a beast the world now expects them not to act like what they've been through.

If you check around most Universities in Nigeria you'll find out that that's how it is.

In UNN there's like 12 female hostel and just 2 male hostel that's in a bad state. But nobody cares.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Eastcoastboy(m): 4:57pm On Apr 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Write a letter to your senator to get extra funding for your university to build a befitting boys hostel then.

Or write to a rich Nigerian to help.( am sure someone begged Chief danjuma in writing for this)

Am serious.

Modified

Dangote donated a boys hostel to ABU Zaria some two to three years ago.

I should write?

So you believe the females wrote and they were granted their wish, reeks of female privilege. I'm sure the school administrators are not blind.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by nairalanda1(m): 5:10pm On Apr 30, 2023
Eastcoastboy:

I should write?

So you believe the females wrote and they were granted their wish, reeks of female privilege. I'm sure the school administrators are not blind.

The thing is, if you want extra goodies under democracy, you got to be ready to agitate for them

If you are a student of the institution, put pressure on your student union leadership to to the needful, or stop crying here on nairaland. You can cry and grumble here all day long, but it does not provide the funding and building materials for that 1000 room boys hostel you want.

You guys have to do more than cry here on this site. Take action. Government sometimes needs a little push.

If the government is lazy and bad, then 2027 dey. Work for APC to be kicked out.Many of us are still angry with them

2 Likes

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Litmus: 5:41pm On Apr 30, 2023
blowjohn:
Why be say we deyvlike to commission something wey we never build finish to the tiniest details?

Outside still needs some cleaning up na

Na because we don settle for Thirdworldness as our final level, perhaps. We wear it loud and proud. How you go take no say we no be Abroad if we finish every project to the highest level befor we start to use am ?

When a project is complete to perfection, you go fear piss for one corner or throway banana skin wherever you like; consequently, the place go remain brand new for longer and people are likelier to develop a caring and maintenance attitude even befor factoring in rules and regulations. But all that is for Abroad,we Nigeriains need none of it because we are proudly thirdworld.

2 Likes

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by rimijoshua(m): 6:12pm On Apr 30, 2023
BleedingPen:
...as TY Danjuma inaugurates first 500-capacity hostel for girls in wife's name

https://metrowatchxtra.com/2023/04/29/ty-danjuma-delivers-500-capacity-female-hostel-to-uniben-metrowatch/

Lala Mynd44 Omp44 Seun
Why must it be always girls?
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Perfectbeing(m): 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2023
ridwanlawal:
Watch as the management squeeze 2500 students into it
The management will not squeeze any student.. It's the students themselves that will start squatting themselves and a room capacity of 4 will start having 10 persons.

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Perfectbeing(m): 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2023
babaRUNtinz:
Ok o. I hope it is well maintained.
By whom? The student or the school management?

2 Likes

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by babaRUNtinz(m): 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2023
Either of the ways. The facilities in there should be maintained by a facility managing company through the school management... Except that, give it 6months,oo ti lo
Perfectbeing:
By whom? The student or the school management?

1 Like

Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Stevosty: 7:24pm On Apr 30, 2023
Perfectbeing:
The management will not squeeze any student.. It's the students themselves that will start squatting themselves and a room capacity of 4 will start having 10 persons.
The management will definitely squeeze, but students will add extra, that will reduce cost though and accommodate more people.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Hpesoj: 8:16pm On Apr 30, 2023
ridwanlawal:
Watch as the management squeeze 2500 students into it

Plus squatters, let's say 5,000
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Hpesoj: 8:25pm On Apr 30, 2023
helinues:
Just hearing the name of the health minister for the first time.

Where has he been?

Are you for real? If you followed the press briefings of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 you should know him nominally. If not for anything, his response to journalists on Chinese doctors when allegedly came to help Nigeria to fight COVID made headlines.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Eastcoastboy(m): 9:22pm On Apr 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

The thing is, if you want extra goodies under democracy, you got to be ready to agitate for them

If you are a student of the institution, put pressure on your student union leadership to to the needful, or stop crying here on nairaland. You can cry and grumble here all day long, but it does not provide the funding and building materials for that 1000 room boys hostel you want.

You guys have to do more than cry here on this site. Take action. Government sometimes needs a little push.

If the government is lazy and bad, then 2027 dey. Work for APC to be kicked out.Many of us are still angry with them

Well it doesn't relate to me, I came into the system, saw the mess that's it's made up of and I sought a better means for myself.

I'm no longer there, and whichever way the government of the day want to run their affair's so be it.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by viodemus: 10:31pm On Apr 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Your comment reminds me of the time when as a young medico, I once asked my oga why we did not have an anesthesia workstation at the rural hospital where I was working at the time. The man just dey look me with amusement and told me that if he got one, the cost of operations in the hospital, already rock bottom because na rural area we dey, would shoot up.

We could build a posh hostel, with each student having a room, but it would

1.Cost far more than this hostel, it would cost something like trillions of naira

2.Also cost far more in maintenance costs every year.

You know why universites overseas have high running costs...and have to charge high fees? Because they build the stuff you are crying for.

Me, I would agree we should build better hostels for Nigerian unviersities. But at the end , when fees go up to keep the hostel well maintained, people like you will start crying we are poor. So government will then spend more than the budget to keep up the thing...until the inevitable happens, either government runs out of money, or we take more loans.

You want high quality, you either pay the taxes, or the fees that can pay for that, or you just keep quiet, and accept the rubbish we have as hostels, because that is what we can afford in truth, even if we somehow manage to stop looting and corruption.

Modified

Below is the University of Toronto's student apartments. It cost the university some 68 million dollars Canadian to buy. Or 22 billion naira. Meanwhile, UNN Nssuka's budget allawee for this year was 25 billion naira. We could get the money for Nsukka to afford things like this.....but it means more taxes and higher fees. You ready to pay? By the way it houses 1000 students only.

I see your points. I was also aware of some of those factors when I made that post.

In life, some decisions are necessity or choice, then some things are options. This post is one of option, with not much restriction. They built that building out of necessity but their choice of building is a choice.

The leaders of Nigeria like the masses to manage in inconvenience while they don't or can't manage any inconvenience themselves.

Why should a Nigerian senator earn over $40,000 a year. That is even much for a group of leaders who are steady coming in last or bottom 10, in every developmental category when compared to other serious countries. As it is now, the average take home pay for most leaders in Nigeria is almost $1 million. And that is not including smart personal investments.

If this buildings cost too much, then maybe they need to focus on building teaching spaces for construction engineers and the material science. Then the acquisition of raw materials for buildings and infrastructure, then the ease of movement to ease materials delivery. I could go on, but I am not in the mode to do that.

My summary is, invest in people like most serious countries do, mind you serious countries are steady adjusting to technology. Some technologies can render a 50 man work to a man and machine doing their capabilities in that work, so they have to find ways to still use humans while not compromising on quality if the machine can do that better.

We need have a high standard to grow very fast in Africa. This building can be a certain size for two people, maybe no kitchen, if the school feeds them, and a kitchen if not. If you want to be frugal with money, then you can make two seperate but close rooms of four people, share a little kitchen, toilet, and bathroom. With exhaust vents included.

This building should not house 500 people for no reason. I doubt that building in Toronto is an approved 1000 occupancy building. I didn't school there, but a very good friend of mine did- he is here in Nigeria, and moreover some research of the city of Toronto, will tell me about the minimum space for occupancy on a floor, The international building code for institutional residency is 6 sq ft for someone standing. Then you can do a calculation from that. If it was a party area like club, theatre, or other places of assembly, etc, then you can multiply with the number of expected people eg if 100 people are expected, then you will need 600 sq ft of venue space, which don't include stage, and other active areas.
Most serious countries do 12 ft × 17 or 19ft actual living space, for a dorm of one or two if you want to squeeze things. What about fire suppression strategies for the building. I know that the building in toronto utilizes working elevators, chute type thrash disposal systems,etc

I would admit that I don't know the actual dimensions of this building in Benin or the one in Toronto, but I doubt that the Toronto one is a 1000 living capacity, maybe a human load holding capacity. You know, visiting day, or gathering for whatever ever reason. I also don't know the floor level, it seems like a 22 story or so building, counting from the windows. but I don't know the width capacity. The picture look like it was taken from a distance and probably not zoomed in. So, the width size might be skewed, I don't know if it's two windows wide to make one room, and then an offset dimension for rooms across the exterior windows we are seeing from the picture, then the number of elevators and the placements. I don't know yet.

My point is, we need to build a conducive environment for living and other purposes, while accounting for taxes, money at hand, expertise, material availability, material accessibility, and overall knowledge of projects.

I just pray that igbos improve our overall knowledge and understanding of everything that will help us progress. We will need it.
Re: Health Minister Performs Groundbreaking For 500-capacity Female Hostel At UNIBEN by Olatara(f): 2:43am On May 01, 2023
Why not simple use 'Daisy Danjuma's hostel just like Moremi, Eni Njoku, etc.

'Senator' is just a title.
She has done well!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Bars Political Appointees From Participating In Convention / Wike Frustrated Imo-Rivers Boundary Dispute Reconciliatory Efforts - Commission / Electricity Supply: Nigeria To Propose Naira Payment For Local Gas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.