Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,078 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship (9209 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by lakal(m): 7:58pm On Sep 24, 2011
As I have been reading about the tales of origin regarding Oduduwa, it has been very interesting to learn of the other perspective -- as a Yoruba, I learned one version of events, and evidently Edos believe in another version.

But that story is just symbolic of a larger issue -- the relationship between the Yorubas and Edos in a host of areas -- government, art, religion, etc.

Who founded who?

Who influenced who?

Does it even matter?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by lakal(m): 12:50am On Sep 25, 2011
?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by amor4ce(m): 1:41am On Sep 25, 2011
The former is the elder brother of the latter.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 1:54pm On Sep 25, 2011
The Nok culture founded both
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by amor4ce(m): 6:27pm On Sep 25, 2011
How did Yoruba and Edo emerge from Nok? I would like to better understand your assertion.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 8:37pm On Sep 26, 2011
----------->Oyo and many yoruba groups
Nok ---> ife---->
----------->Bini
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 3:33am On Oct 31, 2011
Rgp92:

Nok ---> ife---->
----------->Bini

wrong!

Nok ---> igbo-ukwu ----> ife---->
                                                   ----------->Bini
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 9:10am On Oct 31, 2011
Wrong.
                       -->Yoruba
Nok->--> ife-->
                       -->bini

Nri kingdom-->igbo ukwu---> igbo, 

Ife and igbo ukwu are completely different.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 10:48am On Oct 31, 2011
Ife and igbo ukwu are completely different.

and so are the others. so since it is age u are using, it is:

----------->Bini
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 11:29am On Oct 31, 2011
exotik:

and so are the others. so since it is age u are using, it is:

----------->Bini

Dude, you're wrong. Yoruba people are descendent of Nok. It was Nok -> then Ife -> then yoruba and bini. Im not using age. Nok Used iron, it was passed down to Ife and later the rest. Learn history mate.!!1
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 11:48am On Oct 31, 2011
grin maybe u are the one who needs to learn history coz binis are neither descendants of nok nor ife. so how did u arrive at that conclusion that it was nok who passed it down to ife and then to bini and other yoruba groups, and totally excluding igbo-ukwu who happened to be close by?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 1:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
According to some accounts, based on artistic similarities to both early Yoruba art forms and Nok forms, there are connections between them and the contemporary Yoruba Race. Later brass, bronze, soapstone and terracotta sculptures of the Yoruba Ife and Yoruba Esie civilizations show significant similarities with those found at Nok.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 1:33pm On Oct 31, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

Mate, it was nok to ife people. Ye you're right. Bini are not descendet of Nok. There is not evidence that suggest that igbo ukwu influenced ife, if you have any plese share smiley Dont you think im a tribalist. Show me proff, then ill accept it grin
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 1:35pm On Oct 31, 2011
Teach me more about igbo ukwa please!
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 2:13pm On Oct 31, 2011
and that brings us back to square one, because you are using art as the basis of who founded who even though binis are not desecedants of both nok and ife. however, you had no problem in saying nok founded ife, and in turn, ife founded bini coz i guess ife art was dated as older? abi?

so between that time nok transfered to ife, there was igbo-ukwu which has been dated older than ife, so in turn, igbo-ukwu founded ife. or unless u want to tell me nok only transferred to ife and and not to igbo-ukwu.

so where did igbo-ukwu get it from? or it fell to them from heaven, just like how oduduwa fell from heaven? shocked
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2011
Give me a fvcking prove Are you trying to say igbo ukwa founded ife?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 3:03pm On Oct 31, 2011
What if Oduduwa fell from heaven? Jesus christ woke up from death after 3 days.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 3:18pm On Oct 31, 2011
Rgp92:

Give me a fvcking prove Are you trying to say igbo ukwa founded ife?

well, im only using the same logic you used of how ife founded bini. im yet to see any proof apart from some dated art forms.

Rgp92:

What if Oduduwa fell from heaven? Jesus christ woke up from death after 3 days.

yeah, and not only that, jesus was also conceived by a virgin  and he died a virgin only to wake up three days later and then disappeared again. sounds like a "true" nollywood home video
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 4:25pm On Oct 31, 2011
i made a mistake by saying bini was founded by ife. i already said that.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 4:25pm On Oct 31, 2011
exotik:

well, im only using the same logic you used of how ife founded bini. im yet to see any proof apart from some dated art forms.

yeah, and not only that, jesus was also conceived by a virgin  and he died a virgin only to wake up three days later and then disappeared again. sounds like a "true" nollywood home video

haha  grin grin grin
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by tpia5: 12:12am On Nov 01, 2011
Exotik is usually drunk or high so nothing new.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by tpia5: 12:15am On Nov 01, 2011
He's also very disturbed anytime a topic involving yorubas comes up.

Gets quite jittery.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by AndreUweh(m): 12:53am On Nov 01, 2011
Rgp92:

Give me a fvcking prove Are you trying to say igbo Ukwu founded ife?
IGBO UKWU.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 1:08am On Nov 01, 2011
Exotic,

I heard it through the grapevine you were here talking nonsense about Ife. Is that true?

You see I dont work for Nairaland, I volunteer here and today is my off day from NL. So, first for even starting a trouble that gave cause for me to be here, may God hammer ya stinky yansh. Now let me go read and see whatsup. I be back.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 1:18am On Nov 01, 2011
Who be Igbo ukwu?? First and foremost wetin start this nonsense?

How did Igbo ukwu hop over so many other cultures with no trace of its influence and landed at Ife to start an influential art? Dude, if your leg never bow, make God bow am now now!! Anuofia!!

Nna, if I hear If_ for ya mouth one more time the __e na from ya yansh hin go take pass out. You no well!! angry
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by NegroNtns(m): 1:20am On Nov 01, 2011
How did Yoruba and Edo emerge from Nok? I would like to better understand your assertion

Rgp, were you blindfolded when this question came up?
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by amor4ce(m): 7:28am On Nov 01, 2011
Who knows if exotik also thinks that Igbo Ukwu art is older than the Cross River (Alok Ikom) stone monoliths
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 12:57pm On Nov 01, 2011
^ and does dat matter if i know or not, and how does dat change the fact dat dat igbo-ukwu is older than ife? so since u are the prof, so u can always add where "alok ikom" falls into the graph.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 1:17pm On Nov 01, 2011
How did Igbo ukwu hop over so many other cultures with no trace of its influence and landed at Ife to start an influential art

negro, the deluded yoruba hebrew israelite grin, if you dont know, igbo-ukwu had brass/bronze that ife had too. and some words have same meaning in igbo and yoruba. eg the word for stone. yorubas may have a different spelling for it or diff pronounciation due to their loose tongue wey dem nor sabi control like what your dumbazz has potrayed here, but it is the same word and meaning at the end of the day.

now, crawl back into your hebrew israelite cave and die! thank you.
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Rgp, were you blindfolded when this question came up?  

I dont know about Edo, but yoruba are descendent of Nok. I did answer him though  undecided
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by Rgp92: 1:23pm On Nov 01, 2011
exotik:

negro, the deluded yoruba hebrew israelite grin, if you dont know, igbo-ukwu had brass/bronze that ife had too. and some words have same meaning in igbo and yoruba. eg the word for stone. yorubas may have a different spelling for it or diff pronounciation for it due to their loose tongue wey dem nor sabi control like what your dumbazz has potrayed here, but it is the same word.

Im pretty sure that your igbo brothers are the one crying to be descendent of the jews grin
Re: The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship by exotik: 1:27pm On Nov 01, 2011
only the deluded igbos think they are jews, just like the deluded yorubas think they are hebrew-israelites or from some dumbazz arab tribe.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Young Igbo Princess In Traditional Igbo Regalia / A Summary Of Southern Nigeria From 900 Ce To 1900 Ce (in Maps) / Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.