Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,693 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc (7883 Views)

Buhari And The Virtually Empty Treasury (deceit Or Illiteracy) / Gbm's Illiteracy Gradually Rubbing Off On APC Supporters / Northern Nigeria Has Highest Child Illiteracy Rate In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 25, 2011
see my point?

lack of education is making you people not see the bigger picture.

I am a supporter of Gen. Buhari , not because I am a northerner (and I am not a Northener) ,but because I am not tribalist and believe he would be the best candidate to end corruption in our country.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.32.html
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Sike(m): 11:55am On Sep 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Fountain of Knowledge = Ekiti state
Believe it or go drink otapiapia
Oh oh! That's Harsh.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by cap28: 12:10pm On Sep 25, 2011
GenBuhari:

lack of education contributes to small-minded tribalist comments being witnessed on this thread. angry

Instead of criticising the elites for deliberately not educating the masses, so they could coninue to loot unchallenged, some here can only make tribal comments - because they are not educated enough to see the bigger picture.

Shine your eyes well well

The elites from all parts of the Nigeria are educating their children and denying our children education, so that their children could continue abuse our children in future generations.

This nation needs to wake up sharp sharp and start battling our real enemies.

Babangida - Head of State (Aug 85 - Aug 93) devalue Naira 2000% (increasing inflation from 3% to 54% ) and started the improvishement of the masses.

Obasanjo devalued Naira by 500% (during a period of record high oil prices) further impoverishing the nation and making education less affordable for the masses. Obj also looted $100 billion in my estimate and looted Nigeria Airways until it collapsed.

Both Obasanjo and Babangida, and their associates who have mortgated our children's future and looted our wealth, continue to beworshipped today by the uneducated masses because of thier wealth today.

Imagine the shame that a country the size of Nigeria no longer has a national Airline and the masses are too uneducated to realisethat thisis an outrage and even alowed Obasanjo who looted Nigeria Airways until it closed, to serve another term sad

Illitracy is the worst thing to happen to a nation.

Nigerians when are we going to wake from our coma and throw out these corrup elits?

you are absolutely correct, but nigerians are incapable of rising above tribalism and will remain pawns in the hands of the corrupt nigerian elite and the western powers forever , the western powers love manipulating nigerians because they know that the majority of us are too dumb to see the bigger picture, while we are fighting among ourselves they are covertly buying up all our land, privatising our utilities and other govt owned industries, they're also busy devaluing our currency and handing over the control of our bankign system to world bank and imf puppets, but we dont notice because we are too busy fighting over trivialites that will never lead us anywhere.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Relax101(m): 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2011
Tosinville:

Cgem

Bro! are you blind to see where i stated most Alaba igbo boys alone barely read or write in my first statement? who don't know what illiteracy means? did i say it must be in English language alone? man, you really need to visit an optician for some eyes-drop before replying back. When i was in sec sch, many igbo students runaway from igbo language prefer to offer yoruba language just because they find it hard to write test/exam in igbo language not that they're also good in Yoruba but they found yoruba language more preferable while many yoruba students can speak & write better in our language. As a matter of fact the Yoruba class will also be filled up with igbo, edo student etc while you'll only see 5 igbo students sitting for igbo language.

Man, if you can get my point am not saying its by degrees we obtain, but many igbo(s) can't write better in their language even in english smh!, there are alot of them at alaba market alone that i have come across, they can't read or write better all what they chase is paper thru pirated CDs.

Tosinville:

Relax101

Tribalism? Tosin, I am a big FOOL, check the beginning of this thread to see who raise tribalism issues here first, nit.

As usual you wrote trash upon trash. If Igbo students could write an Igbo test in the SW, what does it signify? You be real oponu and original mumu sha.
Those guys you see at Alaba, a very good number of them are better educated than you. Fact.
You just dey mention Alaba boys like say na there be the beginning and end of Igbo peolple. You are gay.

~Bluetooth:

Fountain of Knowledge = Ekiti state
Believe it or go drink otapiapia

It is just another false rumour about Ekiti. Have you ever stepped your foot to Imo state? I no be from Imo self.
Una go just dey house dey praise una self. Chineke!!!
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by lovejo(m): 1:15pm On Sep 25, 2011
Ekiti still leading and I'm a living proof.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by MMM2(m): 1:55pm On Sep 25, 2011
am not surprised undecided
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Princek12(m): 2:17pm On Sep 25, 2011
70% sounds just about right. I don't know why people have turned this discussion in a tribalism issue.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by martinosi: 2:39pm On Sep 25, 2011
cap28:

you are absolutely correct, but nigerians are incapable of rising above tribalism and will remain pawns in the hands of the corrupt nigerian elite and the western powers forever , the western powers love manipulating nigerians because they know that the majority of us are too dumb to see the bigger picture, while we are fighting among ourselves they are covertly buying up all our land, privatising our utilities and other govt owned industries, they're also busy devaluing our currency and handing over the control of our bankign system to world bank and imf puppets, but we dont notice because we are too busy fighting over trivialites that will never lead us anywhere. 

Govt is not spending on Education due to debt payments and our national policy being run
by all the "pawns" that we have as politicians who follow the dictates of the IMF, WORLD BANK etc

Black Africans are destined to be pawns a.k.a illiterates for the rest of their existence
unless they wake up to the global real-time game being played.

I saw this video, See what Alex Jones had to say about Nigeria @ 7.40 minutes

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LU7ZmdV4Es[/flash]
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Tosinville(m): 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2011
Relax101
What do you know they call gay? how does being an illiterate relate with gay, mofo? you just sounds like someone who's suffering from down syndrome so am not surprise, nit.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by htajz: 5:51pm On Sep 25, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html

we have discussed this several times on nairaland

yorubas are the most illiterate in the south , that 70percent the proferssor was actually refering to yorubaland and the north
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by EvilBrain1(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2011
What percentage of Nigerians can read and understand a newspaper? What percentage can write a simple essay describing how they spent their day? 70% sounds about right.

In the south, christianity has helped somewhat because many children are taught to read the bible in english or their native tongue. This is a useless skill in itself, but those children can later translate it into more practical uses like reading textbooks and novels, writing receipts, etc. Unfortunately, most northern children are taught to read the Koran in Arabic, a language that is completely useless in every other context. Businesses don't use arabic documets, there are no arabic-speaking secondary schools or universities. Arabic even uses different letters and symbols so its impossible for a child who can read it to teach himself to do the same in english the way many who learn to read in their native tongues do. Unless you plan to become an islamic scholar, its possible to spend 6 years in a typical northern koranic school and yet gain nothing of value educationally.  This may explain why while i was in junior  secondary school, do many of my classmates from the north couldn't even spell their names.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for the government to force koranic schools to teach with one of the english translations of the koran to reduce illiteracy in the north. Of course, the religious fundamentalists will never allow it. "The koran cannot be translated" or some such nonsense.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by EvilBrain1(m): 6:50pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^ Its the same reason why we have arabic script on the older naira notes. The argument is that if you just write "naira hamsin" on a N50 note, the average hausa man would have no clue what it means. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it happen right in front of me.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by PHIPEX(m): 9:16pm On Sep 25, 2011
Behold what wikipedia has to say about literacy rate in Nigeria

LiteracyDefinition: Entire population of all ages who can read and write in any language
Total population: 78.6%
Male: 84.35%
Female: 72.65% (all: National Bureau of Statistics, 2010 National Literacy Survey)[8]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria#Literacy

This is what encarter says about it too

Adult literacy is estimated to be 78 percent for men and 64 percent for women—an improvement over years past resulting from universal primary education and programs for adult literacy. Official data, however, estimate literacy only in English, thus discounting the significant level of literacy in Arabic among northern Muslims.

Where then did our "prof" get his stats from?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Rossikk(m): 9:24pm On Sep 25, 2011
The claim by the 'professor' of ''70% illiteracy'' in Nigeria says more about the 'professor's' empty skull, than it does about the reality on the ground.

All respected research, including by the UN, World Bank, African Development Bank, and National Bureau of Statistics puts literacy in Nigeria at 75 to 80%. With men about 84% and women 70% or thereabouts.

For a university vice-chancellor to be so wide off the mark in his figures is shocking.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by indoorlove(m): 9:39pm On Sep 25, 2011
The perspective some nlders view an illiterate and literate fellow baffles me. If u think u re literate b/cos u can read and write then u may be far from the truth, literacy, as far as am concern come from within. This are the attributes of literate person: he is always ready to learn either what to do or what not do, in his own little effort, always ready to contribute anything that will be of benefit to humanity, has no time depending his coments on emotions,feelings,religion, tribes, or traditions, rather on reasons and intellects. what most people do is the exact opposite of the aforemention qualities and go about boasting of being literate. Anybody( old or young, hausa, igbo or yoruba, muslim or christian, capenter or professor) with the above qualities(to me) is literate. o about boasting of being literate. Anybody( old or young, hausa, igbo or yoruba, muslim or christian, capenter or professor) with the above qualities(to me) is literate.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by purplekayc(m): 9:52pm On Sep 25, 2011
cry cry cry crywith all these new private universities springing up everywhere shocked shocked shocked
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 25, 2011
Even if illitracy is 25%, it would be still disgracefully low for any country that wishes to develop
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by cap28: 11:11pm On Sep 25, 2011
martinosi:

Govt is not spending on Education due to debt payments and our national policy being run
by all the "pawns" that we have as politicians who follow the dictates of the IMF, WORLD BANK etc

Black Africans are destined to be pawns a.k.a illiterates for the rest of their existence
unless they wake up to the global real-time game being played.

I saw this video, See what Alex Jones had to say about Nigeria @ 7.40 minutes

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LU7ZmdV4Es[/flash]

i actually told someone on here that nigeria had paid back the western loan sharks what we had borrowed ten times over and i got abuse hurled back at me - beleive me our people are in dire need of an understanding of how western countries are exploiting africa.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 25, 2011
lovejo:

Ekiti still leading and I'm a living proof.

True, sad thing is they never stay home. 70% of Ekiti grads/ workers are not in Ekiti. Mostly oversea of in the North/SW'ern states.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Chaldook(m): 4:01am On Sep 26, 2011
@ gen buhari
i support you, 100%. It is high time nigerians started fighting for what is theirs. Look at the big picture, it is a big failure on the nigerian government, to prosper one tribe and religion above others. Look that this section been devoid of harsh langauge on tribe, when the topic is about illiteracy and education, the VC of UI said 70% of nigerians are illitrate and 20% of nigerian men between 19 to 50 are illiteretes, while the opposite is the case for nigerian women (WHAT AN EMBARASSMENT):@ a poster could only joke about the bad situation by distributing the statistics to the various geographies in nigeria, and anybody took it from there, forgetting the main topic of the section. (a very BIG disgrace), i will not say much on these new development, but will surely watch and see what the nation will turn into, and what you people will do about it, but remember 'education is the bed rock of a nation' know now where u are all headed for "COMPLETE DESTRUCTION"., forgetting the main topic of the section. (a very BIG disgrace), i will not say much on these new development, but will surely watch and see what the nation will turn into, and what you people will do about it, but remember 'education is the bed rock of a nation' know now where u are all headed for "COMPLETE DESTRUCTION".
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by WebSurfer(m): 9:14am On Sep 27, 2011
why wont it be?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by effopsgraisse(m): 1:59pm On Nov 28, 2011
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by AdeCharity: 4:09pm On May 27, 2012
OAM4J: [size=13pt]70 per cent of Nigerians are illiterates -VC[/size]

The Vice-Chancel lor of the University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Professor Isaac Adewole, has painted a gloomy picture of education in the country, saying that about 70 per cent of the population are illiterates in a time most countries in the world have been rolling back the frontiers of ignorance.

Professor Adewole stated this at the weekend in an opening remark as the chairman of a Read Dinner and Award night in commemoration of the 2011 World Literacy Day held at the banquet Hall of the Premier Hotel, Ibadan.

He said the country, rather than arrest the drift towards poverty of knowledge, was already preparing grounds for future illiterates with about eight million Nigerian children out of school.

The vice-chancellor, who was represented at the occasion by Professor Clement Kolawole, said that education data survey of Nigerians between the age of 19 and 50 showed that only 20 per cent of males in the category could read and write, while 70 per cent could not, whereas about 50 per cent of females in the same category were literate.

He attributed the development to lack of attention to the education sector, adding that the situation would become gloomier unless conscious efforts were made to promote reading culture, as well as explore the use of indigenous languages as languages of instruction in schools in the country.

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/news/5168-70-per-cent-of-nigerians-are-illiterates-vc
. Job vacancies for Nigeria graduates; visit:WWW.Wealthandhealth.com.ng
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by dasparrow: 8:49pm On May 27, 2012
cap28:

i actually told someone on here that nigeria had paid back the western loan sharks what we had borrowed ten times over and i got abuse hurled back at me - beleive me our people are in dire need of an understanding of how western countries are exploiting africa.

Africans have become comfortable with the idea of being exploited by other groups of people. Most Nigerians in particular have such low self esteem and don't seem to want what is good for them. The other day on bellanaija, most Nigerian commentators saw nothing wrong in chinese illegal immigrants flocking to Nigeria in droves. They forgot that their mothers and grandmothers selling in the market may not have customers again because chinese market traders are taking their small businesses away from them.

Very soon, we will have chinese mamaput and chinese okada drivers and Nigerians will see nothing wrong with it. Already, I am told that some chinese people are already hawking goods on their head in Nigeria. They have no sought after skill and are rather economic scavengers. Meanwhile, while countries like ghana are putting their citizen's interest first and protecting their interests, Nigerian leaders with the help of many gullible Nigerians are helping to put the interest of Nigerians last. You can force the horse to the water bank but you cannot force it to drink water. Since Nigerians don't want to wake up, they will learn the hard way one day. Maybe, when the chinese will introduce apartheid to Nigeria, Nigerians will know what's up.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 27, 2012
I think he meant stupidity. Nigerians are very stupid!!
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by tpia5: 10:45pm On Dec 29, 2013
oh well.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by oyatz(m): 8:47pm On Jan 16, 2017
You are one of the people the V C was referring to.
Which one is illiteracy people? Your English is too dangerous for my liking The
Bluetooth2:

Serious ?
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by BudeYahooCom: 11:26pm On Jan 16, 2017
Tosinville:
^^Whats this one talking about? everyone knows The East got much illiterates than The west.

70% is too much in Nigeria, thats much more than exaggeration.
See them, That was the lies yorubas told themselves until the statistical truths from JAMB, WAEC, NECO started hammering facts into their skulls by fire by force. Today yoruba always meek whenever education is talked about social media. The bursting of their age long lies about being more literate than East really dealt a heavy blow to their ego. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by Abagworo(m): 11:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
Defining illiteracy is highly relative with regards to language diversity. One could be literate in English but illiterate in Arabic or Igbo.
Re: Illiteracy Rate In Nigeria Is Up To 70% - Vc by MkenyaMatata(m): 12:51pm On Jan 06
While Kenya's LITERACY rate stood @ 82.9% in 2022! No Wonder firm belief in stupid witchcraft is so rampant in Nigeria.
Giant of Africa my foot!( No offence intended)

https://knoema.com/atlas/Kenya/topics/Education/Literacy/Adult-literacy-rate

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reuben Abati Has NOT Resigned. It's A Rumor / Death Penalty Approved For Terrorists In Nigeria / Yoruba Is The Most Sophisticated Ethnic Group In Nigeria- Maduekwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.