Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN (47444 Views)

APC Bigwigs, Nnamani, Chime And Onyeama Boycott Tinubu’s Rally / El-Rufai, Adamu, Amaechi Didn't Boycott Tinubu’s Campaign Meeting- APC / Osun Election - Davido Begs Buhari: 'You Are Man Of Integrity Sir, Please Do..' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Bobloco: 8:12pm On May 05, 2023
The vice presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, has appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Olukayode Ariwoola, to boycott the inauguration ceremony of the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu on May 29, 2023.

Baba-Ahmed made this call while speaking in an interview on Channels Television on Friday.

According to him, swearing in a ticket that has not yet met constitutional requirements is tantamount to violating democracy.

The Labour Party Vice-presidential candidate said the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Mahmood Yakubu shouldn’t have issued a certificate of return to Tinubu.

Baba-Ahmed He described the process that produced Tinubu as president-elect was flawed.

Baba-Ahmed said, “Swearing in a ticket that has not met the constitutional requirements of the constitution… Whoever does not meet the constitutional requirements must never be sworn in.

“Mr. President, do not hold that inauguration. CJN, your lordship, do not partake in unconstitutionality.”

Recall that the Labour Party Vice presidential candidate had on National television on 22nd March, 2023, said swearing in Tinubu would be tantamount to inviting the military to take over the affairs of Nigeria.

Baba-Ahmed, had on March 22 edition of Politics Today on Channels Television, called on Buhari and the Chief Justice not to swear in Tinubu, whom the Independent National Electoral COmmission, INEC declared as the president-elect.

He insisted that declaring Tinubu a winner and issuing him a certificate of return was against the constitution.

Baba-Ahmed’s pronouncement met with criticisms as Nobel Laurete, Professor Wole Soyinka described it as unacceptable because it alienates the people, and it is a ‘fascistic language’.

He said, “The interviewer asked him what would you do if the interpretation of the supreme court judgment goes against you, and he kept saying: no, it is not even open to analysis. This is trying to dictate to the supreme arbiter of the nation.

“The supreme court is an institution we should all refer to sooner or later, if not today, but tomorrow, if not this election, the next; but Datti kept saying, no, the supreme court has got, in its wisdom, to agree with me: that is what is known as fascistic language; it is not acceptable.

“And for me, it alienates people, it alienates even supporters. This is intimidation, and it is unacceptable, and I refuse to be part of that kind of language.”

Meanwhile, Soyinka, said he had warned the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, LP, Peter Obi on excesses of the his supporters, otherwise known as ‘Obidients.

He maintained that his rejection of fascism wasn’t new and that on three occasions, he was able to send a message to Obi, that, if he lost the election, it would be his followers who lost it for him.

He stated, “What I have read – at least, thus far – this morning, extracted from a one-and-a-half long interview, conducted a week ago with Channels Television, brings once more to the fore, the critical responsibility of the media in transmitting the spoken, even recorded – word to the public.

“This is especially crucial in a time of civic uncertainty. When remarks are taken out of context, spliced into a new one, provided a sensational headline, distortions become stamped on public receptivity, and the central intent of one’s remarks becomes completely unrecognisable.

“I denounced the menacing utterances of a vice-presidential aspirant as unbecoming. It was a gladiatorial challenge directed at the judiciary and, by implication, the rest of the democratic polity.

“But what on earth has happened to my even more urgent condemnation of the physical violence inflicted on those designated “strangers” in Lagos in the lead up to, and during governorship elections?

“This prejudicial selectivity is a betrayal of trust, and I find it contemptuous of public deserving. My critique of incipient fascism in the movement remains grounded in indisputable evidence.”

Soyinka stated that throughout the interview, he continued to stress that the final word had yet to be pronounced on the elections – “that omission renders the full message tendentious!”

“My rejection of fascism is nothing new. On three occasions, I was able to send a message to Peter Obi that if he lost the election, it would be his followers who lost it for him. It was depressing to watch his lieutenant, a crucially positioned voice of a movement that has ‘broken the mould’, threaten the totality of social existence.

“Whatever our ideological leaning, is Donald Trump the ideal template for a burgeoning democracy in the nation?”

He stated that he also remained concerned by the alleged complaint by him of people not following “instructions.”

“If words are garbled in recording, the speaker can be reached for clarification – else, simply leave out the unclear section completely to avoid misrepresentation. After all, piecemeal transmission is legitimate proceeding, as long as a part is not presented as the whole.

“I am not a member of the Labour Party, so how can giving ‘instructions’ become my role? Like a number of others, I have admittedly contributed to the making of this moment – going back several years – and it is painful to have the followers of such a movement, send it slithering backwards and down the fascistic slope, ” Soyinka said.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/peter-obi-boycott-tinubus-inauguration-baba-ahmed-begs-buhari-cjn/

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by muykem: 8:13pm On May 05, 2023
Frustration, regret, disappointment, anger, annoyance, vexation, bitterness, exasperation have become Obidients order of the day since after this election. I have never seen or imagined people so disillusioned .This is the first time ever, we are seeing candidate claiming of winning election without project his own results. You said there was rigging in Lagos, Rivers and Akwa Ibom. Remove all APC results in those states and added it with Peter Obi votes, he still fail.

485 Likes 64 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Tntsi: 8:17pm On May 05, 2023
Fact.
Constitutionally Nigeria has no president elect.

We await the court to tell us who is the president elect of Nigeria.

186 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Airlord2030: 8:22pm On May 05, 2023
Most stupid VP candidate in the world😂😂😂

565 Likes 70 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by socialmediaman: 8:24pm On May 05, 2023
For the online warriors that will talk rubbish, his comments are protected under Nigeria’s freedom of speech, that’s why you see nobody arresting him….

but yours probably aren’t. Are you getting it?

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Jennymine(f): 8:24pm On May 05, 2023
Good 🤷

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by MetaPhysical: 8:43pm On May 05, 2023
Baba Ahmed has a doctorate degree, does he not, and he is also proprietor of a regional university? Im trying to understand what influenced him to utter a statement like this.

I would expect someone like Simon Ekpa to issue such ultimatum, not someone like Datti. This is shameful!

358 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by overall90: 8:49pm On May 05, 2023
Fear will not let some people attack the person that spoke instead they will direct their vitriol to PO and to the igbos.
See the one above me is already mentioning Simon Ekpa 😂

78 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by helinues: 8:51pm On May 05, 2023
Datti needs rehabilitation.

His brain is over hauling

239 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Obiedun(m): 8:54pm On May 05, 2023
Something must be wrong with Datti.

191 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Saga16: 8:56pm On May 05, 2023
This one wey no fit win votes for him party.

Liability.

grin

161 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by RenaissanceGuy: 8:57pm On May 05, 2023
May God help this man, because this is not making sense. Why would Buhari boycott the inauguration when he already boasted that the election was credible?? And what did Tinubu do to the CJN for him to do the same??

The CJN can only boycott an inauguration in a case of, say, a military takeover, where the military is requesting the CJN to come and swear them in, not for an election that was concluded and a winner announced.

176 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 05, 2023
helinues:
Datti needs rehabilitation.

His brain is over hauling

Brain. Obidient. Choose one.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Flick490(m): 9:09pm On May 05, 2023
Impossible Sir

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Mynd44: 9:17pm On May 05, 2023
What this guy is saying is treasonable felony.

He is asking he president and CJN to commit a coup.

This comment was made assuming the report is entirely true

155 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Loveagain(f): 9:20pm On May 05, 2023
For real?

8 Likes

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by youngbabaj(m): 9:25pm On May 05, 2023
This one brain de do overheating

Make somebody find am pure water

113 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Iseoluwani: 9:25pm On May 05, 2023
Even if this guy is naive, can't he just possess sense

I M sick of his mumuism

96 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by YeyeGbami: 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
Dey play

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by IpobAntidote: 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
Lunatic.
We have too many mental health Lunatics masquerading as Zombdiots in Nigeria. I swear. grin grin

89 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by ProphetM0hammad: 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
Begging and crying is their trademark

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by mensos544: 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
Mad Man

57 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Stevenson20: 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
In a sane country, this case must be settled before any swearing in.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Racoon(m): 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
How can you be telling the conspirators behind the grand electoral heist of February 25th 2023 to avoid going to enjoy the criminality they have cook?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by mytime24(f): 9:26pm On May 05, 2023
All eyes on 29th of may

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by SHINJACRUSADER: 9:27pm On May 05, 2023
Ye.

We the good people of Southsouth and Southwest will boycott it.

God bless Southsouth and Southwest

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Obinoscopy(m): 9:27pm On May 05, 2023
Bobloco:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/peter-obi-boycott-tinubus-inauguration-baba-ahmed-begs-buhari-cjn/
This is old news that Vanguard is regurgitating and branding as new. I don't know if they are doing this intentionally or if they are just incompetent.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Iamgrey5(m): 9:27pm On May 05, 2023
This is silly.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boycott Tinubu’s Inauguration, Baba-ahmed Begs Buhari, CJN by Mufasa27(m): 9:27pm On May 05, 2023
Jonzing man 😂, Just like his boss Mr. Gringory 😂

43 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard / Femi Fani-kayode Meets Jonathan In Abuja (Photos) / Atiku Receives Tambuwal At His Abuja Residence (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.