Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,028 members, 7,828,611 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award (21976 Views)

Messi, Mbappe, Other Nominees For Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award / Eden Hazard Named Belgium 2018 Sportsman Of The Year! / If I Hadn’t Married A Sportsman, My Marriage Would Be A Disaster – Mary Onyali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Slimwhyt(m): 10:21am On May 09, 2023
My GOAT
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by wunmi590(m): 10:55am On May 09, 2023
lhordspy:
A king and more.

To all the guys who tried fooling us into believing penaldo is anywhere near this Genius. God will judge you all. You wasted 15years of our lives on unnecessary argument.

How can a player have a 2.4 player-rating in a match played in the 36th league in the world.? angry

Oga stop lieing and say the truth...

If you want to grow in life, stop pulling people down, just to garner likes...

I love both Messi and Ronaldo as I'm privileged to watch both of them in my generation.

This was the rating, infact he was the man of the match

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by ManWater: 11:52am On May 09, 2023
Chidolalar:

Messi is d one and only GOAT in football history. Ronaldo is just a prolific goal scorer. He is not and can never be on d same level with Messi. Messi is more than scoring goals.
Messi is d only player u will find in top three all time goal scorers, top three all time playmakers, top three all time assists providers and top three all time dribblers.
U can never find such a player with that kind of feat again in football. Imagine one player dominating four categories of football for more than 19+ years and still counting.
You have valid points but I don't want to be drawn into any GOAT argument.

Technically speaking, there can only be one GOAT (Greatest Of All Time). I just used the term goats to refer to great players who millions consider as the GOAT; likes of Pele, Maradona, Messi & Ronaldo.
&you will agree that the era of Messi&Ronaldo rivalry spiced up the game of football. Infact the rivalry helped push them to their limits to break records & achieve some incredible feats
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by ManWater: 11:53am On May 09, 2023
Chidolalar:

Messi is d one and only GOAT in football history. Ronaldo is just a prolific goal scorer. He is not and can never be on d same level with Messi. Messi is more than scoring goals.
Messi is d only player u will find in top three all time goal scorers, top three all time playmakers, top three all time assists providers and top three all time dribblers.
U can never find such a player with that kind of feat again in football. Imagine one player dominating four categories of football for more than 19+ years and still counting.

Technically speaking, there can only be one GOAT (Greatest Of All Time). I just used the term goats to refer to great players who millions consider as the GOAT; likes of Pele, Maradona, Messi & Ronaldo.
&you will agree that the era of Messi&Ronaldo rivalry spiced up the game of football. Infact the rivalry helped push them to their limits to break records & achieve some incredible feats. ✌️
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Onelove508: 1:49pm On May 09, 2023
ManWater:

I don't wish to be dragged into Messi vs Ronaldo goat debate.
Although I'm of the opinion Messi is a better player but I still realise there are millions who in their own right, believe Ronaldo is the GOAT - reason I used the expression 2goats.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

You must also acknowledge that the great rivalry between the two, helped push them to their limits to break certain records & achieve major feats. ✌️

Messi never saw Ronaldo as a rival. It's Ronaldo that has been competing all along. Messi would have been Messi without Ronaldo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Onelove508: 1:55pm On May 09, 2023
RolexOfGeneva:

That's a lie. Haaland is already breaking some of their records and he is only 22

Goal scoring records ab?i. Na only Ronaldo that wan affect.

Let's wait and see 'consistency' and Balon d'or records. If he can keep the pace for 15years. This is where I respect Ronaldo, to compete with Messi for 15years isn't easy. But for him Messi would have had 12 Balon d'ors
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by babajero(m): 2:39pm On May 09, 2023
ManWater:

OK. But why do you think there was such great rivalry between them?
&do you realise, such great rivalry helped push them to their limits to individually accomplish greats feats?
&their rivalry contributed to the excitement of watching the beautiful game.
The rivalry was created by the european media for European football hyping, not because they were similar in anyway maybe unless goal scoring ability.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Peacecore: 4:53pm On May 09, 2023
Jennymine:
Peacecore
Try verifying something before watering your mouth
About what Mr.man?
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by AssCraver: 5:33pm On May 09, 2023
Patoski7:

Do your research before u call someting rubbish award check the past winners and nominees of this award then come back and re comment

Abeg shift. Go and check the winners of the other awards CR7 won too.

Only when it gets to Messi’s issue I guys know research exists..... mtcheeeew
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by RolexOfGeneva(m): 8:31pm On May 09, 2023
Onelove508:

Goal scoring records ab?i. Na only Ronaldo that wan affect.

Let's wait and see 'consistency' and Balon d'or records. If he can keep the pace for 15years. This is where I respect Ronaldo, to compete with Messi for 15years isn't easy. But for him Messi would have had 12 Balon d'ors
At Haaland's present age, he has accomplished more than both Ronaldo and Messi.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Patoski7(m): 10:41pm On May 09, 2023
AssCraver:

Abeg shift. Go and check the winners of the other awards CR7 won too.

Only when it gets to Messi’s issue I guys know research exists..... mtcheeeew
Past winners of which award dubai d or don't be delusional bro
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Pkaty62(m): 6:38am On May 10, 2023
ManWater:
Congrats.
In the next 100 years, 2goats in the caliber of Messi & Ronaldo may never grace the football stage.

So we should all count ourselves lucky to be among the generation that witnessed 2 such goats.  cool
only one GOAT not two and it is LIONEL MESSI.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by ManWater: 8:05am On May 10, 2023
Pkaty62:
only one GOAT not two and it is LIONEL MESSI.
Your opinion. Millions will disagree & say it's Ronaldo, Pele or Maradona.
Na so life be. Everybody with his own. cool
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by Onelove508: 6:24am On May 11, 2023
RolexOfGeneva:

At Haaland's present age, he has accomplished more than both Ronaldo and Messi.

C'mon Bro. Haba!
At 22 Messi already has 2 junior world cup/medal- the Olympics and under 20 world cup. A champi's league and a Balon d'or

Keep your comparison to goal scoring please; copare Haland with Ronaldo n Mbappe please
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by TBIZZY(m): 7:28am On May 11, 2023
lhordspy:
A king and more.

To all the guys who tried fooling us into believing penaldo is anywhere near this Genius. God will judge you all. You wasted 15years of our lives on unnecessary argument.

How can a player have a 2.4 player-rating in a match played in the 36th league in the world.? angry
Ooohhhh!!! Which one be 2.4 rating again.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by TBIZZY(m): 9:20am On May 11, 2023
ManWater:
Congrats.
In the next 100 years, 2goats in the caliber of Messi & Ronaldo may never grace the football stage.

So we should all count ourselves lucky to be among the generation that witnessed 2 such goats.  cool

This is insulting, degrading and embarrassing to the real GOAT.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by TBIZZY(m): 9:26am On May 11, 2023
But why is this not on FP?
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by ManWater: 9:59am On May 11, 2023
TBIZZY:

This is insulting, degrading and embarrassing to the real GOAT.

Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Messi
Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Ronaldo
Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Pele
Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Maradona

They are all entitled to their opinion. Nothing Degrading or Embarrassing there. Na so life just be. cool
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by TBIZZY(m): 10:34am On May 11, 2023
ManWater:

Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Messi
Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Ronaldo
Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Pele
Millions of people consider the Real GOAT to be Maradona

They are all entitled to their opinion. Nothing Degrading or Embarrassing there. Na so life just be. cool
From your analogy, virtually all professional football players have millions of people that consider them as real GOAT.

…cryuff, Eusebio, Ronaldo, Ronaldihno, kaka to zindane to Neymar even hazard.

My guys, the list you have up there is endlessly.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by ManWater: 10:52am On May 11, 2023
TBIZZY:

From your analogy, virtually all professional football players have millions of people that consider them as real GOAT.

…cryuff, Eusebio, Ronaldo, Ronaldihno, kaka to zindane to Neymar even hazard.

My guys, the list you have up there is endlessly.

Yeah, &if a poll is to be conducted of who people consider the Real GOAT, at least Messi, Ronaldo, Pele & Maradona will make the Top10 list.
Reason why in my 1st post, I said we should consider ourselves privileged to witness 2goats grace the football stage. ✌️
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by TBIZZY(m): 11:40am On May 11, 2023
ManWater:

Yeah, &if a poll is to be conducted of who people consider the Real GOAT, at least Messi, Ronaldo, Pele & Maradona will make the Top10 list.
Reason why in my 1st post, I said we should consider ourselves privileged to witness 2goats grace the football stage. ✌️
If a poll was conducted and you were privileged to rate those players you listed, how would it be?
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by ManWater: 12:03pm On May 11, 2023
TBIZZY:

If a poll was conducted and you were privileged to rate those players you listed, how would it be?
Rating in my opinion:
1. Messi
2. Pele
3. Ronaldo
4. Maradona
But my ratings for Pele & Maradona may not be accurate enough since I didn't extensively witness them play.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by mayor1814: 8:51am On May 12, 2023
ManWater:

&you will agree that the era of Messi&Ronaldo rivalry spiced up the game of football. Infact the rivalry helped push them to their limits to break records & achieve some incredible feats. ✌️

There wasn't any debate in d first instance. Right from 2006/2007 wen dey both came to limelight, it was very glaring and clear dat Messi is far ahead of Tapnaldo.

This great skills Messi displays are glaring to see by everyone. Even realistically Messi towers above Pele and Maradona.

1. Messi
2. Maradona / Pele

Tapnaldo doesn't even come near them
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Award by TBIZZY(m): 4:16pm On May 12, 2023
ManWater:

Rating in my opinion:
1. Messi
2. Pele
3. Ronaldo
4. Maradona
But my ratings for Pele & Maradona may not be accurate enough since I didn't extensively witness them play.

Good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AFCON: What Nigerians Are Saying As Super Eagles Lose 2-0 To Guinea In Friendly / Victor Moses Celebrates his 26th Birthday Today / Rigobert Song Appointed New Coach Of Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.