Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother (44300 Views)

UPDATE: I've Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother / My Pregnant Neighbour Has Been Restless Because She's Carrying Twin / I Have Been Having An Affair With My Elder Brother's Wife – Nigerian Man Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by VTJN(m): 4:07pm On May 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Someone who cant even afford medicine when he is sick will afford 50-60k for driver's license? undecided
I swear

That Op brother should thank his star and his brother. I'm convince the brother must have been battling with depression. 38 years old man, that has absolutely nothing to his name. No certificate, no skills, no clothes, he lives under his father roof and eat mama thank you. Some people are saying his brother should apolise to him. How? He didn't beat him, he's not mocking him, he didn't disrespect him. How can you apologise to someone you didn't offend. Is it because he was crying? Haba!

The brother mean well for him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
■ Madam prayer changes things, in the bible the Church gathered and prayed for Peter while he was in prison(Acts 12 vs 5),
■ I am a testimony, abi u hustle pass the boy and him elder brother?
■ Don't talk wat u don't know, dis world is very deep.
■ I can't advise him to pray, because I don't know if he is a Christian.
1. Do you want to compare yourself to a righteous man who was thrown in prison? It was not the prayers of those whom you claim gathered and prayed for Peter that got Peter freed from Jail but the fact that Peter himself was a righteous man of God. You know this because so many others were thrown in jail and their stories did not end well at all. And they were all of them equally prayed for. Never compare your condition to that of a righteous man. undecided

2. You are a testimony to what exactly? undecided

3. Problems with you churchians is that you don't even realize that the very things you believe directly contradict the declarations of God Himself. You make God out to be a liar every time you pretend God does what God says He will not do. undecided

4. You shouldn't even advise him to pray especially if because no good(righteousness) will come from an unrighteous man praying prayers that are abominations to God. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Biodun556(m): 5:18pm On May 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It sounds a lot like your brother may have been struggling with depression for sometime now, and is in need of help, but doesn't have any clue which way to turn or who to turn off help in order get him out of that dark hole he has been living in for a while.. undecided

I can relate

The depression do becloud someone and does not allow him to reason ahead

He could be suffering from depression as a result of family problems long time ago. First child usually inherit depression if a family is not balance and in poverty because he or she will be the one the parents will sending hear and there believing that other children are still small.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On May 13, 2023
Biodun556:
I can relate.The depression do becloud someone and does not allow him to reason ahead. He could be suffering from depression as a result of family problems long time ago. First child usually inherit depression if a family is not balance and in poverty because he or she will be the one the parents will sending hear and there believing that other children are still small.
I no dey use depression play at all. lipsrsealed
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Tealcrestmedia(m): 5:52pm On May 13, 2023
DownTime44:
I sent you a mail sir. Thank you so much.
Responded
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by ElijahIme1992(m): 6:29pm On May 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Do you want to compare yourself to a righteous man who was thrown in prison? It was not the prayers of those whom you claim gathered and prayed for Peter that got Peter freed from Jail but the fact that Peter himself was a righteous man of God. You know this because so many others were thrown in jail and their stories did not end well at all. And they were all of them equally prayed for. Never compare your condition to that of a righteous man. undecided

2. You are a testimony to what exactly? undecided

3. Problems with you churchians is that you don't even realize that the very things you believe directly contradict the declarations of God Himself. You make God out to be a liar every time you pretend God does what God says He will not do. undecided

4. You shouldn't even advise him to pray especially if because no good(righteousness) will come from an unrighteous man praying prayers that are abominations to God. undecided
looooool Oh God help this sister to see the truth, our righteousness is like a filthy rag before God(Isaiah 64v6, Romans 3v19-23) James and Peter were both imprisoned, James was killed and Peter was saved, so by ur word James was not righteous but Peter was? Sister Peter was not saved becos he was righteous but by the mercy of God through the intercessory prayer of the Church on his behalf, God's mercy is for all, HE is always there to answer, all u need do is call on HIM. How is testifying of the goodness of God in my life contradicting the declaration of God? Give thanks to the Lord, make HIS deeds known among the people (Psalm 105v1-5), When Jesus healed the ten lepers, it was only one that came back to glorify the name of the Lord and Jesus gave him total restoration(Luke 17 vs 11-19)
I am not a churchian, I don't do church or religion what I have is a genuine fellowship with God.

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 6:32pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
■ looooool Oh God help this sister to see the truth, our righteousness is like a filthy rag before God(Isaiah 64v6, Romans 3v19-23)
See wetin our education system in Nigeria has done to the minds of Nigerians abeg! undecided

In Romans 3 vs 10 - 18 Paul quotes from various parts of scripture in his attempt to explain to his brethren that they were in fact the wicked and evil generation to the destroyed by God. Yes, at that point in time, God's plan was to destroy the rest of Israel — the Nation of Judah aka the Jews— and that plan was heralded by the coming of Jesus Christ. Below, we see that what Paul wrote in that passage was of the evil people who were against God.

Romans 3 vs 10 - 12 quotes Psalm 53 where David writes about the evil people who do terrible things.
1 Only fools think there is no God. People like that are evil and do terrible things. They never do what is right.
2 God looks down from heaven to see if there is anyone who is wise, anyone who looks to him for help.
3 But everyone has turned away from him. Everyone has become evil. No one does anything good. No, not one person!
4 Those who are evil treat my people like bread to be eaten. And they never ask for God’s help. Don’t they understand what they are doing? - Psalm 53 vs 1 - 3
The above passage clearly says that this prophecy was said of the evil people aka the fools who convinced themselves that God does not exist. You know this from reading verse 4 where God highlights the way evil people treat His people. undecided
Romans 3 vs 13 a Paul references David's prayer against his enemies found in Psalm 5
8 Lord, show me your right way of living and make it easy for me to follow. People are looking for my weaknesses, so show me how you want me to live.
9 My enemies never tell the truth. They only want to destroy people. Their words come from mouths that are like open graves. They use their lying tongues to deceive others.[a]
10 Punish them, God! Let them be caught in their own traps. They have turned against you, so punish them for their many crimes. - Psalm 5 vs 8 - 10
Romans 3 vs 13 b quotes from Psalm 140 where David prays to God regarding the evil people
1 Lord, save me from people who are evil. Protect me from those who are cruel,
2 from those who plan to do evil and always cause trouble.
3 Their words are as harmful as the fangs of a snake, as deadly as its venom. Selah
4 Lord, save me from the wicked! Protect me from these cruel people who plan to hurt me.
5 These proud people are trying to trap me. They spread nets to catch me; they set traps in my path. Selah - Psalm 140 vs 1 - 5
Romans 13 vs 15 quotes from Proverbs 1 which is a warning against evil people
10 My son, those who love to do wrong will try to trick you. Don’t listen to them.
11 They will say, “Come with us. Let’s hide and beat to death anyone who happens to walk by.
12 We will swallow them whole, as the grave swallows the dying.
13 We will take everything they have and fill our houses with stolen goods.
14 So join us, and you can share everything we get.”
15 My son, don’t follow them. Don’t even take the first step along that path.
16 They run to do something evil, and they cannot wait to kill someone. - Proverbs 1 vs 10 - 15
Romans 13 vs 16 - 17 references Isaiah's writing on the state of the evil people, whose sins separate them from God
1 Look, the Lord’s power is enough to save you. He can hear you when you ask him for help.
2 It is your sins that separate you from your God. He turns away from you when he sees them.
3 That’s because your hands are covered with blood from the people you murdered. You tell lies and say evil things.
4 You can’t be trusted, even in court. You lie about each other and depend on false arguments to win your cases. You create pain and produce wickedness.
5 You hatch evil, like eggs from a poisonous snake. Anyone who eats the eggs will die. And if you break one of them open, a poisonous snake will come out. Your lies are like spider webs.
6 They cannot be used for clothes, and you cannot cover yourself with them. Your hands are always busy sinning and hurting others.
7 Your feet run toward evil. You are always ready to kill innocent people. You think of nothing but evil. Everywhere you go you cause trouble and ruin.
8 You don’t know how to live in peace. You don’t do what is right and fair. You are crooked, and anyone who lives like that will never know true peace. - Isaiah 59 vs 1 - 8
Romans 13 vs 18 references Psalm 18 where David writes of the evil people and the workings of their minds.
1 Deep in the hearts of the wicked a voice tells them to do wrong. They have no respect for God.
2 They lie to themselves. They don’t see their own faults, so they are not sorry for what they do.
3 Their words are wicked lies. They have stopped doing anything wise or good.
4 They make wicked plans in bed at night. They choose a way of life that does no good. And they never say no to anything evil. - Psalm 36 vs 1 - 4

As you can see, every single passage of Scripture that was quoted by Paul in that context was written in reference to people who do evil. And of course, there are none righteous among the evil people for they have all sinned. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by ElijahIme1992(m): 6:37pm On May 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
See wetin our education system in Nigeria has done to the minds of Nigerians abeg! undecided

In Romans 3 vs 10 - 18 Paul quotes from various parts of scripture in his attempt to explain to his brethren that they were in fact the wicked and evil generation to the destroyed by God. Yes, at that point in time, God's plan was to destroy the rest of Israel — the Nation of Judah aka the Jews— and that plan was heralded by the coming of Jesus Christ. Below, we see that what Paul wrote in that passage was of the evil people who were against God.

Romans 3 vs 10 - 12 quotes Psalm 53 where David writes about the evil people who do terrible things.
The above passage clearly says that this prophecy was said of the evil people aka the fools who convinced themselves that God does not exist. You know this from reading verse 4 where God highlights the way evil people treat His people. undecided
Romans 3 vs 13 a Paul references David's prayer against his enemies found in Psalm 5

Romans 3 vs 13 b quotes from Psalm 140 where David prays to God regarding the evil people

Romans 13 vs 15 quotes from Proverbs 1 which is a warning against evil people

Romans 13 vs 16 - 17 references Isaiah's writing on the state of the evil people, whose sins separate them from God

Romans 13 vs 18 references Psalm 18 where David writes of the evil people and the workings of their minds.

As you can see, every single passage of Scripture that was quoted by Paul in that context was written in reference to people who do evil. And of course, there are none righteous among the evil people for they have all sinned. undecided
Let me ask you a question, do you believe that God will answer your prayers if you pray?

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
looooool Oh God help this sister to see the truth, our righteousness is like a filthy rag before God(Isaiah 64v6, Romans 3v19-23)
As for what is written in Isaiah 64, lets first take a look at what God said in Isaiah 59 regarding the prayers of the unrighteous, to get you a better idea of what Isaiah is saying in Isaiah 64,

■ In the passage below from Isaiah 59, God explains that it is your sins that separate you from Him.
1 Look, the Lord’s power is enough to save you. He can hear you when you ask him for help.
2 It is your sins that separate you from your God. He turns away from you when he sees them.
3 That’s because your hands are covered with blood from the people you murdered. You tell lies and say evil things.
4 You can’t be trusted, even in court. You lie about each other and depend on false arguments to win your cases. You create pain and produce wickedness.
5 You hatch evil, like eggs from a poisonous snake. Anyone who eats the eggs will die. And if you break one of them open, a poisonous snake will come out. Your lies are like spider webs.
6 They cannot be used for clothes, and you cannot cover yourself with them. Your hands are always busy sinning and hurting others.
7 Your feet run toward evil. You are always ready to kill innocent people. You think of nothing but evil. Everywhere you go you cause trouble and ruin.
8 You don’t know how to live in peace. You don’t do what is right and fair. You are crooked, and anyone who lives like that will never know true peace. - Isaiah 59 vs 1 - 8
Your sins, born of your unholiness, taint everything you do and offer to God rendering them an abomination hence the reason why God hears but does not answer your pleas.
■God repeated the same in Isaiah 1
11 The Lord says, “Why do you continue giving me all these sacrifices? I have had enough of your sacrifices of rams and the fat from well-fed animals. I don’t want the blood of those bulls, sheep, and goats.
12 When you people come to meet with me, you trample everything in my yard. Who told you to do this?
13 “Don’t keep bringing me those worthless sacrifices. I hate the incense you give me. I cannot stand your festivals for the New Moon, the Sabbath, and other special meeting days. I hate the evil you do during those holy times together.
14 I hate your monthly meetings and councils. They have become like heavy weights to me, and I am tired of carrying them.
15 “When you raise your arms to pray to me, I will refuse to look at you. You will say more and more prayers, but I will refuse to listen because your hands are covered with blood. - Isaiah 1 vs 11 - 15
Again, your sins render all your offerings and sacrifices unacceptable to God because as you are unholy, so also is everything you offer up to God rendered unholy, an abomination to God. Sin makes filthy all that which you offer up to God.

■ So when in Isaiah 64, in his lament, the prophet cries out that indeed the people's offerings, including their good works, are rendered unacceptable by your sins, Isaiah said that with the knowledge God does not accept anything — including good works aka works of righteousness — offered to God by unrighteous beings.
1 If you would tear open the skies and come down to earth, then everything would change. Mountains would melt before you.
2 The mountains would burst into flames like burning bushes. The mountains would boil like water on the fire. Then your enemies would learn about you. And all nations would shake with fear when they see you.
3 But you have done awesome things that we did not expect. You came down, and mountains shook in fear before you.
4 No one has ever heard of such a God. No one has ever heard such a story. No one has ever seen any God except you, who does such great things for those who trust him.
5 You welcome people who enjoy doing good and who remember you by living the way you want them to. But we sinned against you, and you became angry with us.[a] But you always saved us!
6 We are all dirty with sin. Even our good works are not pure. They are like bloodstained rags. We are all like dead leaves. Our sins have carried us away like wind.
7 We don’t call to you for help. We aren’t excited about following you, so you have turned away from us. We are helpless before you, because we are full of sin. - Isaiah 64 vs 1 - 7

* Always read a verse in context and never let soundbites run away with you! undecided

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
Let me ask you a question, do you believe that God will answer your prayers if you pray?
You see, Scripture states that God does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous; the pleas and requests and every petition, praise, offering, work, plea, sacrifice, etc., of the unrighteous are tainted by their sins(disobedience/unholiness) and are hence an abomination to God. So, what is definite is that even your many pleas for the forgiveness of sins are not answered by God given that God made no special exemptions for that kind of plea. No amount of praying can cause God to change His mind regarding that which concerns the unrighteous by the way. So if you are thinking of prescribing more prayers that only means you really don't understand or know God at all. undecided

God, however, openly bragged about how He only answers the prayers of the righteous; He delights in granting them the desires of their heart meaning that they are those who are loved by Him. For this very reason, Jesus Christ urged His followers to seek first the Kingdom of God and God's Righteousness in order that all things— the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(holiness), answers to prayers included—shall be added on to them. And as Jesus Christ explained in His Gospel, the only way to become Holy, and then also Righteous, is by way of continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, god's Truth and Law in the Kingdom of god - John 8 vs 31 - 36 & John 14 vs 15 - 23. Jesus Christ is the only way. Obedience to the Truth of God is the one and only path to righteousness. No amount of praying and other religious rituals can accomplish that. undecided

God deals indirectly with the unrighteous, the same way He deals with the unbelievers including the wicked and the ungrateful and that is by pouring out His mercy and kindness on them daily. So every time as an unrighteous you feel that God has answered your prayer know that at that same moment, or moments before that, God also provided the same mercy or similar to someone else across the world — or maybe just across from you— who does not even believe in God, nor asked God for anything. So, if answers from God are what you seek, then do what Jesus Christ said you should, which is to seek first the Kingdom of God(holiness), and then God's righteousness, in order that all these things —the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(including answers to prayers) can be added to you. undecided

So, to answer your question, I am still unrighteous and that means God does not answer my prayers. Either that or God is a liar! undecided
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
■ James and Peter were both imprisoned, James was killed and Peter was saved, so by ur word James was not righteous but Peter was? Sister Peter was not saved becos he was righteous but by the mercy of God through the intercessory prayer of the Church on his behalf,
■ God's mercy is for all, HE is always there to answer, all u need do is call on HIM.
■ How is testifying of the goodness of God in my life contradicting the declaration of God? Give thanks to the Lord, make HIS deeds known among the people (Psalm 105v1-5), When Jesus healed the ten lepers, it was only one that came back to glorify the name of the Lord and Jesus gave him total restoration(Luke 17 vs 11-19)
■ I am not a churchian, I don't do church or religion what I have is a genuine fellowship with God.
1. Wrong! The righteous eventually die but God does not save them because of the prayers of others but instead according to His own plan for their lives. A righteous man essentially does not need your prayers — the disciples never did pray for Jesus Christ, did they? Peter was righteous and his life existed wholly in the hand of God and not the whims of others. That is one of the benefits of righteousness. Your intercessory prayers are meaningless because God decides the fate of the righteous, not your prayer rituals. undecided

2. So what you are saying is that God who said He will not answer the prayers of the unrighteous is a liar? undecided

3. Well, your testimonies claim that God answered your prayers in your unrighteousness. That is akin to calling God a liar!

You can make these deeds known without making God out to be a liar, can you not? The Leper that went back did not go back to make God seem a liar, did he? undecided

4. You have a genuine fellowship yet your ideas are out of the pages of the doctrines and traditions of the Churchians, as opposed to scripture, interesting! undecided
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Octopusssy(f): 7:28pm On May 13, 2023
Please people should stop arguing with Kobojunkie. She reads her bible through the smoky haze of the finest grown Kwale weed, so arguing with her is an exercise in futility which serves no purpose apart from derailing the entire thread.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by DownTime44: 9:06pm On May 13, 2023
albert2512:

Why can't he get a driver's job in Lagos. At least they pay 50-60k. I can refer him to somewhere currently recruiting if fast and has a driver's licence.
sorry he doesn't have a liscence
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by ElijahIme1992(m): 10:53pm On May 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You see, Scripture states that God does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous; the pleas and requests and every petition, praise, offering, work, plea, sacrifice, etc., of the unrighteous are tainted by their sins(disobedience/unholiness) and are hence an abomination to God. So, what is definite is that even your many pleas for the forgiveness of sins are not answered by God given that God made no special exemptions for that kind of plea. No amount of praying can cause God to change His mind regarding that which concerns the unrighteous by the way. So if you are thinking of prescribing more prayers that only means you really don't understand or know God at all. undecided

God, however, openly bragged about how He only answers the prayers of the righteous; He delights in granting them the desires of their heart meaning that they are those who are loved by Him. For this very reason, Jesus Christ urged His followers to seek first the Kingdom of God and God's Righteousness in order that all things— the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(holiness), answers to prayers included—shall be added on to them. And as Jesus Christ explained in His Gospel, the only way to become Holy, and then also Righteous, is by way of continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, god's Truth and Law in the Kingdom of god - John 8 vs 31 - 36 & John 14 vs 15 - 23. Jesus Christ is the only way. Obedience to the Truth of God is the one and only path to righteousness. No amount of praying and other religious rituals can accomplish that. undecided

God deals indirectly with the unrighteous, the same way He deals with the unbelievers including the wicked and the ungrateful and that is by pouring out His mercy and kindness on them daily. So every time as an unrighteous you feel that God has answered your prayer know that at that same moment, or moments before that, God also provided the same mercy or similar to someone else across the world — or maybe just across from you— who does not even believe in God, nor asked God for anything. So, if answers from God are what you seek, then do what Jesus Christ said you should, which is to seek first the Kingdom of God(holiness), and then God's righteousness, in order that all these things —the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(including answers to prayers) can be added to you. undecided

So, to answer your question, I am still unrighteous and that means God does not answer my prayers. Either that or God is a liar! undecided
abeg hu dey teach una dis kind thing, so that means u don't pray? So wen will u be righteous?
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
■ abeg hu dey teach una dis kind thing, so that means u don't pray? So wen will u be righteous?
Let's continue on another thread please so we don't continue derailing OP's thread. undecided
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by ElijahIme1992(m): 11:03pm On May 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Let's continue on another thread please so we don't continue derailing OP's thread. undecided
I thought nobody will notice na because it's almost 13 pages long, who will have the time to go tru all 13 pages?
But answer my question do u pray?

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On May 13, 2023
ElijahIme1992:
I thought nobody will notice na because it's almost 13 pages long, who will have the time to go tru all 13 pages?
But answer my question do u pray?
https://www.nairaland.com/4613252/pray-always-never-lose-hope#123121539
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by DownTime44: 5:49am On May 14, 2023
Tealcrestmedia:

Responded
Alright. Many thanks.
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by VTJN(m): 6:08am On May 14, 2023
gazilion:

Oh no! I hope you are not lying?? I was going to do something but seeing your name as Anthonia when you claim you are a man is a red flag 🚩. Are you the owner of the account??
morning bro. Please don't withdraw your support to Op and his brother. I may not be in their shoe but i understand what they are passing through. I guess someone has already picked interest in helping Op brother learn a skill in his organisation. You can find out from Op who that person is in particular, maybe you can confirm from that person before helping yourself. You can even meet them in person to confirm yourself since Op said they live in Lagos.

Personally i don't think Op will want to provide his brother to learn a skill if he is not genuine. Please don't withdraw your support.

Happy Sunday.
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by albert2512: 10:32am On May 14, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Someone who cant even afford medicine when he is sick will afford 50-60k for driver's license? undecided

I don't get your point. Do u have any help you can render? If you don't, shutup!
I did my licence in a state for 12k. What are you now saying?
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Caseless: 3:23pm On May 14, 2023
May God help you. You're a good brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Shaneroberts: 1:54pm On May 15, 2023
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by calmandwild101(m): 11:11pm On May 15, 2023
DownTime44:
Hi guys

Please i put up this post basically because of my elder brother. I sincerely want to know if i was wrong talking to him, or I could have just let him be. I wasn't myself ever since i talked to him, and i was somewhat having guilty conscience since then.

I have an elder brother, he's 38 years old and also the first son. I am the fourth child in the family of five. The second child is a female and she's married. We lost our third child, that's my immediate elder brother some years back, while i have a younger brother. I came from a humble background. Lost my dad while i was in JS 3, even before his death we had been hustling on a daily basis for survival, and we live happily as one big family. My mother, siblings and i do hawk daily before we could eat. All thanks to public school in Lagos, my family wouldn't have had the opportunity to basic education. We hawk daily after school, weekdays and weekend. My family was bred and brought up in Ajegunle.

Few years after the demise of my father, we struggled to pay house rent. We had to leave Ajegunle to a local and developing area. I didn't allow my family conditions deter or weigh me down. Never! I believe I'd make it in life legitimately without venturing into crime, fraud, theft etc. After my secondary school, i was into all sorts of labour work. I worked in factory, building site, cleared bushes, laundry man , just to save up and further my education. I worked for 6 years after my secondary school, bought a bike from the little savings i had and proceed to school through jamb. I gave the bike to someone who often deliver #6,000 weekly for the upkeep of my family. I was in year 2 when i let go of the bike, it was on a higher purchase and the agreement we have had elapsed. I hustled my way through school and graduated. I'm done with service last year but couldn't land a job, probably due to my age. I'd be 29 this year and most graduate trainee often request for age below 28. Although, i had a 2.1. I'm only managing in a pure water factory to make ends meet, keep soul and body together and support my family

I sat my elder brother down and talked to him. He has been hustling like every other person in the family but i don't understand what's happening. He didn't futher his education nor learn a handwork. He's 38 but still live under his parents roof. He has been doing conductor work for many years. The family had talked to him several times to look for something else. It's fine you are hustling as a man for survival but doing conductor for many years without thinking of what else to do is wrong. A family friend of ours who later got to know what he does for a living had advice him also.

The bus he was following, the driver had misunderstanding with the owner and he collected his bus back. My elder brother had been idle for months, doing nothing. He claimed he has gone virtually everywhere in search of bus he could be working with but couldn't get any. This is a family that we all had to bring something no matter how little to survive. I was talking to him as a younger brother. I asked him why didn't he heed to people's advice when they were advising him then to stop the conductor work and look for something to learn, if perhaps he doesn't want to further his education? He doesn't believe in Nigeria education, because he could count graduates without job or those with petty job. My elder brother wear almost rag as clothes. I had to give him some of my little wears I'm managing. He has just one slippers. We don't wear same size of shoe or sandals, we could have been sharing that also. He sold his phone to feed sometime ago and had been without phone. I was initially saving to get my mum a small phone but i had to give him the phone instead.

He was crying when i was talking to him. I understand the situation of things in the country, which i myself is going through. I was just trying to know what other things he could come up with. I am not happy seeing him sitting idle doing nothing. The fact that he's the first son and found himself in this condition at that age breaks my heart daily. My mum had been so worried about his condition. I had to convince her that things will be better. I don't want her to develop high Blood Pressure that could lead to her untimely death.

Please guys was i wrong talking to my elder brother?
Honestly you are one in thousand of a human being.For your selfless and love for your family is really rare this days.you did the right thing.all you need now is to help him be looking out for a work and make sure you spend some valuable time with him be trying to give him some OT about life here in Nigeria since it seems you are more exposed than him.my little advice tho.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by calmandwild101(m): 11:17pm On May 15, 2023
Wawelexy:
Sometimes we have to put emotions aside and face the realities of life.... At that age, he doesn't need to be pampered, let him face his troubles squarely, nothing good comes easy.... He should brace up
Sorry to disagree with you. Sometimes in life,all we need is one person that will talk us out,show us the way and stand with us during the battle,all these can make us become winner.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by VTJN(m): 6:45am On May 20, 2023
albert2512:

I don't get your point. Do u have any help you can render? If you don't, shutup!
I did my licence in a state for 12k. What are you now saying?
I don't think Op brother can get a liscence for 12k in this country o. He lives in Lagos. I doubt he can get a driver's license for 12k
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by albert2512: 10:29am On May 20, 2023
VTJN:
I don't think Op brother can get a liscence for 12k in this country o. He lives in Lagos. I doubt he can get a driver's license for 12k

Did mine in Jos boss.
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by VTJN(m): 1:25pm On May 20, 2023
albert2512:

Did mine in Jos boss.
now you're talking

You can't get driver's liscence for 12k in Lagos. I doubt if the brother can afford getting a driver's license in Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by grandstar(m): 10:40pm On May 23, 2023
Olarewaju89:
Being the first born and first son in a poor family like this is a serious issue. Don't blame your brother too much pls. It is a spiritual things and he need a deliverance and serious councils.

To be honest with you, your mother has a lot to do in this matter not you.

I won't go further than this.

Stop blaming spiritual. The senior brother has a bad mindset.

My dad had a partner whose brothers were lazy. No matter what he did for them, they still were just parasites, instead of launching on their own.

I know of a guy, a draughtsman whose brother in the UK was sending him money to build a house for him in Nigeria. When his brother returned and realized his brother and basically scammed him, he cut him off. Last time I saw this his brother, he looked close to being destitute.

Some people are simply not responsible, or lazy, or parasitic or entitled or unintelligent.

This guy's brother has no brains. He was probably limited by the environment (Ajegunle) he grew up in. I won't be surprised if he knew many conductors and one day hoped to use this medium to own a bus.

I grew up in Alausa. My neighbourhood was right beside a slum. Lots of bad boys chasing the wind. You see guys with huge potential walking with fools. Bad role models everywhere. The vast majority lacked the discipline to make their lives better.
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by TreasureJunky: 8:36am On May 24, 2023
Can your brother work as a handler in a manufacturing company? I have work for him, the pay is about 50k per month, but he must have physical strength. The location is oregun Ikeja. Maybe I can be of help to your brother.. The condition of your brother needs not just advice, but practical help
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by enonche85(m): 12:39pm On May 24, 2023
Olarewaju89:
Being the first born and first son in a poor family like this is a serious issue. Don't blame your brother too much pls. It is a spiritual things and he need a deliverance and serious councils.

To be honest with you, your mother has a lot to do in this matter not you.

I won't go further than this.

You are very correct sir.

1 Like

Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by enonche85(m): 12:44pm On May 24, 2023
grandstar:

Stop blaming spiritual. The senior brother has a bad mindset.

My dad had a partner whose brothers were lazy. No matter what he did for them, they still were just parasites, instead of launching on their own.

I know of a guy, a draughtsman whose brother in the UK was sending him money to build a house for him in Nigeria. When his brother returned and realized his brother and basically scammed him, he cut him off. Last time I saw this his brother, he looked close to being destitute.

Some people are simply not responsible, or lazy, or parasitic or entitled or unintelligent.

This guy's brother has no brains. He was probably limited by the environment (Ajegunle) he grew up in. I won't be surprised if he knew many conductors and one day hoped to use this medium to own a bus.

I grew up in Alausa. My neighbourhood was right beside a slum. Lots of bad boys chasing the wind. You see guys with huge potential walking with fools. Bad role models everywhere. The vast majority lacked the discipline to make their lives better.

You obviously know nothing about life and the spirituality behind it.
Re: I Had Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother by Panda7(m): 1:03pm On May 24, 2023
its hard being a male with no family help or any startup idea but your brother should try to program his life on how he wants to live instead of walking/working aimlessly about.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Women Are Asking My Husband Out On Whatsapp. How Do I Handle This? / I Told My Wife To Cut Her Hair / How Do You Deal With A Husband That Keeps Malice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.