Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,427 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. (73066 Views)

Allen Onyema And Air Peace Should Learn Excellence From The Bull - Reno Omokri / Pictures Of Warri Ughelli Port Harcourt Road After The Flood / From The Streets Of Warri To Finland: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by SeriouslySense(m): 8:58pm On May 15, 2023
smiley
slowice:

Flyovers will not revive dead companies and businesses.
Hostile attitude of indigenes will not revive dead businesses or attract new investment.
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by PoloG: 9:04pm On May 15, 2023
AwkaFinest:

I was waiting for a comment like this.
After working in Warri and with mostly Warri brought ups I can say a reorientation is urgently needed.
you nor be urhobo boy? undecided
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 15, 2023
georgeakins:

Shops don't add any value to Lagos economy.
What Lagos needs are genuine industrialists like Dangote, Eleganza, Otedola, BUA.

At least, there are shops in the East and they still have the least GDP
. They will never agree with u, the indigenous had created enabling environment on which the investor's thrive

3 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by princetom1(m): 9:10pm On May 15, 2023
WhereMyLoud:
Very true bro. I miss the good old days. Now agbero has the highest employment in Warri.. its such a shame it had to come to this.

Wrong, hookup and yahoo has the highest employment. Like 70%.of youth in warri are either into yahoo or hookup...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Fujiyama: 9:14pm On May 15, 2023
madridguy:
Lagos will stand anyday anytime because its located in the most peaceful region in Nigeria. So Lagosians will forever carrying their shoulders to anyone.

^^^
Lagos is still what it is. Empty boasting won't change a thing. Like almost all other cities in this country, it ranks very low on any human development indicator you can think of.

'Carrying shoulders' when your limbs are stunted is just pointless.
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by fkj950ax(m): 9:15pm On May 15, 2023
grandstar:
tomitrace

In America, cities that faced serious riots or some parts of the cities that bore the brunt of the riots never recover.

You have the Los Angeles riots of 1992 and the Minneapolis riots in 2020 over George Floyd's death/

Many shops and businesses never reopen. You can not blame them as riots and mass looting can not be divorced.

Warri can rise again. For that to happen, the Delta state government must provide incentives for the old companies to either return or new companies setting up for the first time.

Are you sure about the statements you made about 1992 Los Angeles Riots and the city never recovering?
Los Angeles is a city in California and has a GDP larger than Indonesia.
If it was a Country, its economy would have been number 16 in the whole world
Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing center in the United States.
The contiguous ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach together comprise the busiest port in the United States AND the fifth-busiest port in the world.
The Los Angeles metropolitan area has a gross metropolitan product of over $1.0 trillion (as of 2018),[20] making it the third-largest economic metropolitan area in the world after Tokyo and New York.

1 Like

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Adakintroy: 9:17pm On May 15, 2023
the political bureaucracy in abuja fell it. Not thugs. What agbero exist in warri that do not exist say anywhere in Nigeria including Lagos.

Why is NPA in warri dead and all the tanks are in lagos even when warri port have a far superior outlook to the rest of south south and south east region. Is agbero the reason refinery is being built in Lagos and not in the place were the oil is being drilled?. Many of you are too educated for this pettiness.

I get it Yoruba and northerners you won the war and the spoils of war are urs. But by God have some balls and tell it the way it should be told. You men.

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by emonis88: 9:19pm On May 15, 2023
Komu1048:

Oga it will be stupid for igbos to leave Lagos cox of what happen during election in Lagos.

All what Yoruba did was to protect their local politics. Igbo businesses are thriving and apart from Nairaland, others have moved on. Igbos are cashing out and Yorubas r happy as well, so no issue
N it reoccur in d next 4 years?
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by warlordd(m): 9:19pm On May 15, 2023
This is very true! The protracted war between Urhobo and Itsekiri did not help issues either. Babangida capitalized on this to cite Delta state capital in Asaba which is an Anioma town and an Igbo speaking area. Ordinarily the state capital should have been somewhere around Warri axis, and not Asaba which was not part of Niger Delta. Infact, Asaba people and
Igbo speaking areas had clamoured for Anioma state and not Delta.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Pascal9: 9:20pm On May 15, 2023
Kukutenla:
Another angle to this is the failure of Warri to be made the capital city of Delta in 1991. In Nigeria, where politics mix with business, the capital city usually attracts the best in terms of security, infrastructure and other things that make a city worth it. I bet if Warri was made capital in the 90s, the crisis and the thuggery would never have reached the proportion it did.
Onitsha is not capital of Anambra, neither is Nnewi yet both are thriving, stop creating excuses

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Reallv: 9:21pm On May 15, 2023
The matter na true..cox my family left for ogun state back then in 1997/99

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by SeriouslySense(m): 9:22pm On May 15, 2023
wow, nice input.
warlordd:
This is very true! The constant war between Urhobo and Itsekiri did not help issues. Babangida capitalized on this to cite Delta state capital in Asaba which is an Anioma town and an Igbo speaking area. Ordinarily the state capital should have been somewhere around Warri axis.
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Pascal9: 9:24pm On May 15, 2023
georgeakins:

No business in sout East, per se
There are only shops located there.
Shops add little or no value to GDP and IGR
no business in south east, see this mumu, apart from agricultural products, south East is producing most things they use. You don't travel

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by OVB123: 9:27pm On May 15, 2023
egopersonified:
The two companies I have worked with in Benin actually left warri for Benin, their loss, my gain. I heard communities used to have staff slots that are paid monthly but they never work in the company, they just collect salaries.
Yes, you are right Bro. Pan Ocean, NPDC, IDSL and others too numerous to mention are base in Benin City.
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by SeriouslySense(m): 9:27pm On May 15, 2023
I speculate these tribes in the south are one people, somehow they speak different dialects or i am wrong different languages but are still the same

I have no evidence or prove, maybe just a fanciful idea.

Surely an expert will dismiss such idea from me, because we cannot ignore difficult cultural mindsets and the way environment and time have shaped and helping to modify such differences.
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by jspinsight: 9:30pm On May 15, 2023
Also add..we ve not been fortunate to have visionary leaders in Delta State..
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by SeriouslySense(m): 9:37pm On May 15, 2023
But why. grin
jspinsight:
Also add..we ve not been fortunate to have visionary leaders in Delta State..
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Sirseedorf(m): 9:39pm On May 15, 2023
History is good, besides nothing last forever.

1 Like

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by dominique(f): 9:40pm On May 15, 2023
Caramia2020:

My dear that's the fact 💯, the latest one is when u buy a land, u will have to settle community, family for development, if u are filling the house u will pay filling fee in some area, another one is fencing fee, while in some cases cut off might be up to 700k. I'm tired, for one to start developing one's land he or she must brace up. That's my biggest challenge.

Na wa o! The omonile we have here no do reach this one. Filling fee, fencing fee ke? They fit add painting levy join. Since there are no more companies to extort, they've now shifted to individuals. We need a rigid government to outlaw all these extortions.

1 Like

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by DatNaijaGuy: 9:42pm On May 15, 2023
Coly2012:
The same attitude of deve grow up in Benin when youths and community heads made buying of land and building houses a though of war, Thanks to the Omo no oba,if not Benin could have been a brown roof city by now.

No doubt, the issue of CDA was crippling development in Benin City, but you can't compare Benin City with Warri.
Those Warri boys were only interested in reaping without sowing. They finished Warri.
I have experience both.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by foleskay(m): 9:43pm On May 15, 2023
Mayeldah:
Lagos should learn from this story, The Lagoon Oba and Mc Oluomo are harming the developement of Lagos

Once the Ibos leaves, Lagos will go down. Don't think it can't happen.
Leave first Mk we see now. Na only ibo be d non indigen in lagos? Go back to d east abeg. No body send u

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by daddytime(m): 9:43pm On May 15, 2023
GEEBITE:
That Shell estate in Warri is awesome. Many of their staff die too soon after retirement as the comfort level provided there can not be matched when they leave. 24hours electricity,well paved roads and lawns, cafetaria heavily subsidised that eating for staff and famiiy is practically free.

Oh boy...exactly wetin happen to my uncle. Baba retire kpai oh...the comfort na crime.

Even the gardeners pass people wey dey work for bank for outside...

Life no balance truly.

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by madridguy(m): 9:43pm On May 15, 2023
Lagos will continue to grow stronger for the next 100 years. You can argue from now till tomorrow but nothing can change the fact.

Fujiyama:

^^^
Lagos is still what it is. Empty boasting won't change a thing. Like almost all other cities in this country, it ranks very low on any human development indicator you can think of.

'Carrying shoulders' when your limbs are stunted is just pointless.

1 Like

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by daddytime(m): 9:44pm On May 15, 2023
Krublog:

What is left of Sapele right now is Cultism, Oloshoism, Beer Parlour and Hotels, small scale businesses, keke and Okada and of course the mother of them all, YAHOO.

Churches everywhere, but sin is engrained in the city's DNA.

Even old cinema for Oleh raid na church still hold am strong.

It is well.

Plus Foodland... Where dem dey go show muscle...

I miss beetles...mama oghale good...presidential Kai...
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by madridguy(m): 9:45pm On May 15, 2023
Can he go back to the east? No... They would rather die here in Lagos than go back.

foleskay:

Leave first Mk we see now. Na only ibo be d non indigen in lagos? Go back to d east abeg. No body send u

1 Like

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Olasty(f): 9:52pm On May 15, 2023
Alliswell248:

Smile...keep deceiving yourself.
Igbo can never leave Lagos.
Where would they go to?
No better place than Lagos.
Ask Obi, Ngige, Obiano.

Yinmu
Igbo people can never leave Lagos if they do Yoruba and other tribes will take over their business
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by foleskay(m): 9:53pm On May 15, 2023
madridguy:
Can he go back to the east? No... They would rather die here in Lagos than go back.

Yes bro. They can only rant about going back to the east,but deep down their hearts they know there's nothing to go fall back to in the lands of d ipob cannibals grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by Kukutenla: 9:53pm On May 15, 2023
Pascal9:
Onitsha is not capital of Anambra, neither is Nnewi yet both are thriving, stop creating excuses
I don't know how exactly Onitsha is thriving or Nnewi for that matter, especially in the context put forward by the Op.
Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by grandstar(m): 9:55pm On May 15, 2023
fkj950ax:

Are you sure about the statements you made about 1992 Los Angeles Riots and the city never recovering?
Los Angeles is a city in California and has a GDP larger than Indonesia.
If it was a Country, its economy would have been number 16 in the whole world
Los Angeles is the largest manufacturing center in the United States.
The contiguous ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach together comprise the busiest port in the United States AND the fifth-busiest port in the world.
The Los Angeles metropolitan area has a gross metropolitan product of over $1.0 trillion (as of 2018),[20] making it the third-largest economic metropolitan area in the world after Tokyo and New York.

As they say, the devil is in the details.

Los Angeles has one of the highest cases of homelessness in America.

Also, I did not say all sections of the city but parts of it that bore the brunt of the riots. Those areas haven't recovered

California might have the largest economy as a state in America but it is a pricey place to live. Homes are very unaffordable and plenty are homeless. Drugs addiction is also a big problem with many dying from fentanyl overdose

Los Angeles is the economic capital of California.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/18/over-500000-people-left-california-in-two-years-report/

I concur. Housing is in short supply due to powerless town planning. The town planners know what to do, which is approved more high density housing but the property owners prefer the present status (95% of the city is zoned for low density) which keep their property prices high.

There are cities are better than Los Angelis.

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. by lordprogress: 9:56pm On May 15, 2023
This is bullshit how can you attribute that to a war that happened more than 20 years, the problem of delta state has always been bad leaders.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Two Airplanes Collide At Lagos Airport / A Lagos Bike Rider Uses Dustbin As Dispatch Box To Evade Arrest / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.