Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Is This Snake Venomous? - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Is This Snake Venomous? (47320 Views)

This Snake Was Killed In Our Factory. What's The Name - Photo / I Saw This Snake And I Didn't Kill It. / Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by shortgun(m): 3:00pm On May 18, 2023
uniquetechng:
That's a fvcking viper, it's not in anyway peaceful and it's highly venomous.
Gaboon vipers are not aggressive, they rearly bite humans.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Pharaohny: 3:02pm On May 18, 2023
duro4chang:
It is poisonous and harmful but edible. In Yoruba land it is called oka
That's not Oka
Oka is Cobra 🐍
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by elonize(m): 3:03pm On May 18, 2023
shortgun:
Venomous but not aggressive, hardly attacks human, very peaceful creature.

If someone is ever bitten by this snake it's assumed the person is evil.
which kind talk b dis...kai😂😂,
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by shortgun(m): 3:04pm On May 18, 2023
900warriorz:
Move close to it unknowingly and see if you wont get bitten...does that make your assumption right? cheesy
I've handled this particular snake with my bare hands many times. They hardly bite people, they use their strong venom for prey.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by tonididdy(m): 3:05pm On May 18, 2023
Workch:
Well, maybe a small dog or puppy

It was an almost 1yr old dog ( a cane curso)
My dog was very ill that period, this exact snake crawled into the compound or maybe through the fence and had a face off with my dog.

It barked and fought the hardest it could, it was its bark that attracted occupants of the house.

Lo and behold this beautiful patterned snake was there battling with my dear Bruno (RiP).
It was killed that night, my dog died like a week later.

( I’m certain it sensed the dogs weakness, it has a huge head and I bet it’s jaws can open as wide as a mini bucket)
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by beejay501: 3:06pm On May 18, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

They don't attack humans except in error.

They mostly after food.

Even when you see them they won't strike at you. They are very clandestine.

Don't argue. Google is your friend.

Day play

2 Likes

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Justiceleague1: 3:24pm On May 18, 2023
Jestin:
I went to site today to complete the roofing stage in one of my buildings. Some workers were doing the wood work while i directed some to clear the compound because it was bushy.

One of the workers shouted snake and before a blink of an eye, they killed the snake. Cut off the head and tail and kept the body to be consumed later. I took some photos to share here because i know Lala and nairalanders love snakes.
Op please don't joke about this o...check the compound and surrounding very well..this is a highly dangerous venomous snake
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Dreamhighnow(m): 3:25pm On May 18, 2023
It's so beautiful. Chai. They kill this beauty
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Workch: 3:30pm On May 18, 2023
tonididdy:

It was an almost 1yr old dog ( a cane curso)
My dog was very ill that period, this exact snake crawled into the compound or maybe through the fence and had a face off with my dog.

It barked and fought the hardest it could, it was its bark that attracted occupants of the house.

Lo and behold this beautiful patterned snake was there battling with my dear Bruno (RiP).
It was killed that night, my dog died like a week later.

( I’m certain it sensed the dogs weakness, it has a huge head and I bet it’s jaws can open as wide as a mini bucket)
maybe what you saw was a python, African rock python.
Gaboon vipers are not big enough to eat a big dog.

This is a rock python below, it can eat your dog, a gaboon viper can't

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by kmaster007: 3:31pm On May 18, 2023
I hear you... Me don japa for any type of snake
shortgun:

Not all snakes are dangerous.
Many of them don't even have venom.

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by airliner(m): 3:45pm On May 18, 2023
nepapole:
100% hharmless.... No chop am sha

Na so una take dey put people for problem so. Must u comment
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by AfDapone: 3:48pm On May 18, 2023
OP, the snake "man-friend" with his thugs will soon come for you all. Better beware!
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by dapsoneh: 3:51pm On May 18, 2023
iamoyindamola:

Lol check the skin na
yea its Garbon viper
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Tremple8v: 3:53pm On May 18, 2023
Viper grin
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by oluwazoba: 3:59pm On May 18, 2023
This is gaboon viper, highly venomous.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by oluwazoba: 4:05pm On May 18, 2023
duro4chang:
It is poisonous and harmful but edible. In Yoruba land it is called oka
this is not oka, oka is cobra, I don't no this one name in yoruba.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by jibsy(m): 4:11pm On May 18, 2023
It's a Gaboon viper
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by shawante(m): 4:19pm On May 18, 2023
900warriorz:
..an hour you say? Op would be between life and death in 10mins. Will die if nothing is done in 20mins.
You're very correct bro.. The issue is i don't know why people make unnecessary jokes when serious issues like this come up.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by dontbothermuch: 4:25pm On May 18, 2023
Gaboon Viper. You are lucky it didn't see you first & felt threatened
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by shawante(m): 4:27pm On May 18, 2023
OfficialSam:

Must you call him names for airing his opinion? Can you people grow up in this Forum? Bunch of toddlers everywhere.
It's obvious you're very stupid. Someone is here spreading misinformation and you're here talking about airing opinion.
Someone who thinks he's saying the right thing might get bitten by the snake tomorrow and think it's harmless not knowing he might end up dying within minutes.
If you don't know anything about something it's better you keep shut and learn rather than displaying your idiocy under the guise of airing your opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by jeffsummers(m): 4:29pm On May 18, 2023
Jestin:
I went to site today to complete the roofing stage in one of my buildings. Some workers were doing the wood work while i directed some to clear the compound because it was bushy.

One of the workers shouted snake and before a blink of an eye, they killed the snake. Cut off the head and tail and kept the body to be consumed later. I took some photos to share here because i know Lala and nairalanders love snakes.

Good day to everyone on nairaland. Pls i want to use this medium to appeal to all nairalanders to help my uncle out. He has stroke for over 3 years now. He is currently recieving treatment and therapy at General Hospital, Kubwa, ABUJA.

The sickness has really drained his finances over these years. Currently he has been asked to purchase some drugs which cost 95,000 naira.

Pls we will be so grateful if anyone can assit us in whatever way they can. No amount is to small as it will go a long way in helping us purchase the drugs as we dont have money and cant bear the cost of the drugs alone.

God bless you all as you assist us. Below are pictures of my uncle and also his patient card at the hospital as proof that this is not a false claim. If anyone still needs any form of verification or proof, i am more than willing to provide such.

pls once again help my uncle. No amount is too small, GOD BLESS YOU ALL
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by shawante(m): 4:30pm On May 18, 2023
airliner:

Na so una take dey put people for problem so. Must u comment
No mind the clown... I no know how him take manage escape from circus.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by lomprico(m): 4:33pm On May 18, 2023
Jestin:

Gibon viper! Highly venomous!

It's called 'gwobe de nisa' in Hausa meaning ' tomorrow is too far'

I believe you can deduce from that
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by zedegit: 4:34pm On May 18, 2023
Jestin:

First name that came to my mind is Gaboon viper. It's venomous.

This isn't a python.

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Tbasicme: 4:36pm On May 18, 2023
iamoyindamola:
highly venomous
Gaboon viper

Very correct. Its a viper
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by duro4chang(m): 4:44pm On May 18, 2023
oluwazoba:
this is not oka, oka is cobra, I don't no this one name in yoruba.
No. Cobra is sebe or agbadu
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by duro4chang(m): 4:45pm On May 18, 2023
Pharaohny:

That's not Oka
Oka is Cobra 🐍
That is oka
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Bobbiee: 4:51pm On May 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

Venomous and Poisonous are two different things...!

The venoms of most snakes are stored in a single tissue around the head, not the entire body, so when cooked and eaten, no harm comes to the eater... If they were poisonous, Eagles and other higher snake predators would have been extinct by now.

Poisonous animals may have no venom, but eating or sometimes merely touching them can lead to death because their entire skin or bloodstream and tissues contain harmful substances. Examples include some species of frogs and marine organisms!

Must you eat everything that walks the earth, swims in the sea, and flies in the sky. I don't think it's poverty. That can't be it.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Biodun556(m): 4:53pm On May 18, 2023
nepapole:
100% hharmless.... No chop am sha

That snake is peaceful and sluggish but highly highly venomous. Infact in single bite it discharge loads venom
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by spencekat(m): 4:58pm On May 18, 2023
Angelfrost:

Venomous and Poisonous are two different things...!

The venoms of most snakes are stored in a single tissue around the head, not the entire body, so when cooked and eaten, no harm comes to the eater... If they were poisonous, Eagles and other higher snake predators would have been extinct by now.

Poisonous animals may have no venom, but eating or sometimes merely touching them can lead to death because their entire skin or bloodstream and tissues contain harmful substances. Examples include some species of frogs and marine organisms!
Good one.Had to Google this too.Thanks.
Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by sunkieisland(m): 5:09pm On May 18, 2023
my father narrated an ugly experience with this snake; God rest his soul. He was returning from his farm at night and accidentally stepped on the snake's tail region. Thank God he had his safety boots on. The first three bites with the most venom were on the boot but when the snake eventually bit his upper leg region, the venom wasn't so much but he was still paralyzed in less than an hour. The saving grace was that the clinic close to his place had fresh Anti-Venin which they administered and saved his life.

venomous snake I tell you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Snake Venomous? by Efinem006(m): 5:19pm On May 18, 2023
shortgun:
Venomous but not aggressive, hardly attacks human, very peaceful creature.

If someone is ever bitten by this snake it's assumed the person is evil.
The name biko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anthony Loffredo: World’s Most Modified Man Has 2 Fingers Chopped Off (Graphic) / 12-Year-Old Boy Builds Mini Excavator All By Himself (Photos) / Residents Kill Three Pythons In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.