Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,103 members, 7,814,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Forgive And Forget, How Possible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Forgive And Forget, How Possible (355 Views)

Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? / Begotten Son (God) Of The One God How Possible? / How Often Do You Forgive And Forget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forgive And Forget, How Possible by GoodIsGod: 8:44pm On May 18, 2023
*FORGIVE AND FORGET IS IMPOSSIBLE* 😮😮

It is a common belief that the sentence "Forgive and Forget" is not realistic.
Forgive and Forget is commonly used to quell the anger of people who are offended.

Every Adage, Proverbs, or common sentences originated from someone. So also is *Forgive and Forget.*

Many believe it is easier to Forgive than to forget.
They say, to Forgive is possible but forgetting is impossible. Lol

I think the originator of Forgive and Forget could not have been so dumb to believe Forgetting Wrongs done to one is easy. When even kids remember offences of several years.

I believe also that what he must have meant by "Forget" was, " *Pretend it never happened* "
If it is that, we all know that is possible.

As Christians, we should develop ourselves to that point where we pretend offences never happened after we have Forgiven the offender. I am struggling to cultivate this very virtue of pretending it never happened myself. May God help me. 🤣🤣Lol

When Jesus taught us how to pray, he said, "Forgive us our sins as we Forgive those who offend us"
If forgiveness was not that important, Christ wouldn't have mentioned it.

To truly Forgive, we have to overlook the wrongs and let love reign over it.

Brethren,
"Forgive And Forget" is POSSIBLE. Only if you you can determine to do it.
All you need do is to ask the Holy Spirit to help you.
Nothing, we all know is IMPOSSIBLE for God.

So, when next you hear someone say it is not possible, tell them nothing is impossible with the help of the holy spirit.

You can Forgive and Forget.

*Note* :
They asked Jesus " how many times should my brother offend me until I will refuse to forgive him?" Jesus answered "70 times 7 times"

What Christ meant here was you should not be Weary of Forgiving.

But for those ones who have made it a hobby to offend and hurt you because they are demonic, brethren, you can stay away from them in order to prevent them from hurting you again and again. That is not a sin. It is called wisdom.

Don't hate them, don't wish them evil, show them love, help them if you can, but put them at arm's length.

Lastly, FORGIVENESS is an essential virtue every child of God must learn to cultivate.

May God help us.
Especially this writer GoodIsGod 🤣🤣
Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 9:14pm On May 18, 2023
It's possible, for a true believer.

1 Like

Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by GoodIsGod: 1:04am On May 19, 2023
YinkaOlusesi16:
It's possible, for a true believer.

Very possible
Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by Dtruthspeaker: 2:44am On May 19, 2023
GoodIsGod:
*FORGIVE AND FORGET IS IMPOSSIBLE* 😮...

No where did God say "forgive and forget," only "forgive".

And it is evil people who always say "forgive and forget" and only a fool will listen to this counsel which definitely cometh from the world.
Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by GoodIsGod: 12:49pm On May 19, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

And it is evil people who always say "forgive and forget" and only a fool will listen to this counsel which definitely cometh from the world.

It is obvious you didn't bother to read the post. You only responded to the headline.
The "forget" in the statement does not mean you should not remember because it is not possible not to remember. Even kids remember the wrongs people do to them.
Forget means to pretend it never happened. Because the more you remember the offence the more tendency for you to renew the hatred or quarrel.

Stay blessed
Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by delkuf(m): 1:54pm On May 19, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

how do you forgive without forgetting

1 Like

Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:36pm On May 19, 2023
The phrase "forgive and forget" is common out there but it has no root in God's word.
What the true God requires from His worshipers is for us to meditate more on the good side of our brothers than their blunders by so doing we will get to know that they've been more useful than what their imperfect nature caused.

1 Like

Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by Dtruthspeaker: 4:39pm On May 20, 2023
delkuf:
how do you forgive without forgetting

Easy! By the very meaning of forgive, you do not require a forgetting.

To forgive practically means to not act/respond based on an offence. Thus, you can give a non response to an offence without having to forget the fact and lessons learnt from the offence.
Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by Dtruthspeaker: 9:29pm On May 20, 2023
GoodIsGod:

It is obvious you didn't bother to read the post. You only responded to the headline.
The "forget" in the statement does not mean you should not remember because it is not possible not to remember. Even kids remember the wrongs people do to them.
Forget means to pretend it never happened. Because the more you remember the offence the more tendency for you to renew the hatred or quarrel.

Stay blessed

The "forget" was the part I was interested in, so I focused on it.

Secondly, forget does not mean an act to pretend that something evil or bad did not happen. rather it means a refusal to act and take cognisance of a certain bad conduct.

But it does not mean that you can not remember such a bad conduct so as to guide your way and prevent future harm.

No where did God Say you should put yourself in harms way.
Re: Forgive And Forget, How Possible by GoodIsGod: 10:38pm On May 20, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

The "forget" was the part I was interested in, so I focused on it.

Secondly, forget does not mean an act to pretend that something evil or bad did not happen. rather it means a refusal to act and take cognisance of a certain bad conduct.

But it does not mean that you can not remember such a bad conduct so as to guide your children way and prevent future harm.

No where did God Say you should put yourself in harms way.

Okay

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Kingsley's Prophecy On Tinubu ,obi, Buhari, Interim Govt / Why Do Ladies Run From Guys Who Might Become Pastors? / When Is He Coming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.