Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467430 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (539) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2023
hustla:

LOL PDF in all of this

Just call a spade a spade. We are like 100 years behind these people whether or not you admit it

Shame catch me when I go Nigeria last December. Went through Qatar airport and got to MMIA, I was ashamed

We have a long way to go and we won't get there in the next 50 years unless something drastic happens

£1 = 1055 now Btw wink
If you don’t understand that a simple pdf generation is all part of a good customer experience that some coding and scripting can resolve yet it’s not a feature for a world class UK owned bank then you are not ready for the tech industry you keep shouting about. Agreed, Nigeria has a lot of deep rooted and disgusting issues that cannot be solved in a day but if the simple point I’m trying to make about how the bad shouldn’t be the only narrative then I don’t know what else to say to you. After all, prices have sky rocketed in every country, including the UK, it’s not exclusive to your country.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:46am On Jul 15, 2023
Oh and since we are sharing newspaper articles . https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/medical-tourism-generates-millions-nhs-health

If you are new to this country and wondering what newspapers to read, I recommend the guardian. I read the financial Times too to keep an eye on fiscal and monetary policy.

I read the Daily Mail and Telegraph to find out the latest bunkum British racists have dreamt up for the day. They are tabloids and have lied in the past to sell papers

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:51am On Jul 15, 2023
Zahra29:

While you're allocating blame, please give a chunk to the people as well.

I posted a BBC news report a few days ago on how the new runway lighting at the Lagos airport was stolen and it was likely an insider job. Posted below 👇 again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66168466

I doubt the heist was orchestrated by Buhari or Tinubu, but instead by regular Nigerians who will then turn around and blame the leaders for the state of the airport and the country.

So the country might be bad but it is also the fault of (many of) the people
The leaders are the problem because if there are no consequences at the top, why would there be consequences at the bottom. People might as well continue to do a lot of bad because they know that they’ll get away with it. People obey the laws in the UK because if they get caught, they get in a shit ton of trouble.

An example is Lagos state and the introduction of road enforces called VIO and Lastma, the mere introduction of this made drivers get their car papers in check, their driver’s license and a lot of people even stopped driving in restricted lanes. But of cause, with the introduction of a new governor, those same enforcers became very corrupt because no one would check them.

The people are just as bad as the kind of leaders that they have and this is a hill I’m willing to die on.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by aragbaboy: 11:56am On Jul 15, 2023
Goke7:

I think they will just pay for another COS which is 199 pounds but prices are going up soon too with the new announcements. But confirm from your HR. Thought it’s a cost for the employer

Ok thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 11:56am On Jul 15, 2023
missjekyll:
What bumper salary? NHS workers have been striking since last year over pay and working salaries. You must be having a laugh.

This Stupeed Tory government must make up its mind as to whether immigrants are an asset to the UK or not? How come it cannot pay its own bills without overtaxing immigrants. Surprisingly, its doing everything it can to reduce immigration despite not having enough people to man its industries.

Just chasing its own tail , really. Visionlessly. Cannot wait for a General Election.

grin This is what someone will call Political higi haga

For Christ sake, if you don't even care about immigrants, what about the industries crying day and night for workers, is it ghosts that will fill the over 1 million vacancies haba. Arrogance of the highest order

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jadepinkett(f): 11:57am On Jul 15, 2023
missjekyll:
Oh and since we are sharing newspaper articles . https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/medical-tourism-generates-millions-nhs-health

If you are new to this country and wondering what newspapers to read, I recommend the guardian. I read the financial Times too to keep an eye on fiscal and monetary policy.

I read the Daily Mail and Telegraph to find out the latest bunkum British racists have dreamt up for the day. They are tabloids and have lied in the past to sell papers

But this article was published in 2013? 🤔
Does this remain the case?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 15, 2023
missjekyll:
What bumper salary? NHS workers have been striking since last year over pay and working salaries. You must be having a laugh.

This Stupeed Tory government must make up its mind as to whether immigrants are an asset to the UK or not? How come it cannot pay its own bills without overtaxing immigrants. Surprisingly, its doing everything it can to reduce immigration despite not having enough people to man its industries.

Just chasing its own tail , really. Visionlessly. Cannot wait for a General Election.

NHS workers were paid a lump sum and had their salaries increased by 5% from last month. That's a fact.

It's up in the air as to whether that was enough but the point I was buttressing was that people of all races benefit when salaries are increased, however they are funded, despite the attempt to paint this as a "'black and brown people' vs Brits" situation.

I hope this helps you understand.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

If you don’t understand that a simple pdf generation is all part of a good customer experience that some coding and scripting can resolve yet it’s not a feature for a world class UK owned bank then you are not ready for the tech industry you keep shouting about. Agreed, Nigeria has a lot of deep rooted and disgusting issues that cannot be solved in a day but if the simple point I’m trying to make about how the bad shouldn’t be the only narrative then I don’t know what else to say to you. After all, prices have sky rocketed in every country, including the UK, it’s not exclusive to your country.

Speak to someone with experience in fintech before you go off on this PDF thing somewhere public, please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:00pm On Jul 15, 2023
missjekyll:

Imagine Daily Mail and The Sun being anyone’s reference point for unbiased news, those 2 news outlets were recently in the news for racist reporting.

My former boss came into the UK last month with his dad for some treatment, everything paid in full but no, we are all "abusing" the system. For once, I would like to see some good about us as a continent and nation promoted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:01pm On Jul 15, 2023
koonbey:

Speak to someone with experience in fintech before you go off on this PDF thing somewhere public, please.

I have worked in fintech. You, speak to them about user experience and come back to me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:07pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Imagine Daily Mail and The Sun being anyone’s reference point for unbiased news, those 2 news outlets were recently in the news for racist reporting.

My former boss came into the UK last month with his dad for some treatment, everything paid in full but no, we are all "abusing" the system. For once, I would like to see some good about us as a continent and nation promoted.

that is why some of us will not keep quiet here, compared to other ethnic groups, Nigerians are still one of the most behaved in this country. I have seen all manner of worse behaviours and even more from the Brits themselves and other nationalities who abuse their own system much more but No na we dey owe NHS pass as far as some people are concerned, real rubbish. Imagine someone even saying most of our development back home are funded by the UK, chai

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2023
hustla:
Please who can buy 200 USDT and credit me in GBP?

Kindly signify

Thanks
Register on uphold.com and sell your usdt to pounds and withdraw from there.
They also have master card that you can use to shop or withdraw your uphold funds over atm. Morrso you get 2% cash back of whatever you shop with the card.
I got xrp worth 19 pounds this month and held it then behold xrp moon and I sold it for 30 pounds

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 15, 2023
Goke7:

This is a big lie, such money is even small to cater to a population of over 200 million. And do you think the Uk does not have substantial economic benefits from Nigeria? Do you guys think Nigeria is that beggarly? Do you know the amount of money the Uk realise from direct investments in Nigeria? Do you think it's Charity? From the aviation sector, oil and gas and several others you think it's a joke?

As someone said earlier, it's the Nigerian govt that is not wise in demanding more from the Uk like India is doing to gain more economically. Whatever aid Nigeria collects is a drop in the ocean compared to what the Uk makes from Nigeria.

You can have your political opinions but don't spread false narratives here. Thank you

It's not a lie because it hurts you to acknowledge it, because you desperately want it to be untrue, or because you rail about it and ask tons of irrelevant questions.

1. On aid:

£209.39 million in 2020/21
£95.12 million in 2021/22

Before that it was around ±£150,000
Sources - https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmfaff/202/report.html

EU - Since 2014, the EU has provided close to €437 million to help people in need in the country,. Source - https://civil-protection-humanitarian-aid.ec.europa.eu/where/africa/nigeria_en#how-are-we-helping

US - provided nearly $505 million in Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021 Source - https://www.usaid.gov/news-information/press-releases/mar-12-2021-united-states-announces-nearly-104-million-additional-humanitarian

You can find other sources for previous years. I won't do your homework for you.

2. On 'is it charity?'

Yes, it is charity. Nigeria trades and earns profits from all these countries separate from the aid they send.

The investments earn profit, and they pay taxes on it, apart from creating jobs, facilitating economic growth etc etc. Nigeria and Nigerians also have investments in some other countries - can you share how much of aid they have been sending there?

3. 'It's small for 200 Million people'

Is the UK Nigeria's father? Why should they be responsible for 200 Million people.

Have you checked what the budgetary allocations for different sectors is?

I know it's a difficult issue for you to confront, but do your research and I'm sure you'll lose a lot of this gragra.

Many of the largest interventions have been funded by these donations, from eradicating polio to various justice programs. As far back as 10 years ago as a law student, it was USAID that was the primary funder for our pro-bono law clinics to get people out of prison, which Nigeria held (and I guess still holds) the Guinness world record for the highest number of people being held in prison pre-trial. No government funding or even concern. It's UK/US/EU, and you're asking me if Nigeria is beggarly. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Imagine calling people’s view on neocolonialism nonsense just to sound politically correct. 1. [/b]The UK gains way more from Africa’s natural resources annually than the change they give in the guise of "aid". [b]2. Na our leaders I blame, if they didn’t mess up the country to the point where we all had to run to another land for "greener" pastures, we wouldn’t be having this conversation where people see opposing views as faux activism. 3. When some of you are done jocking the people who were actually born here, remember that your passport is still green, you are still black and changes in immigration policies still affect you regardless of your visa status.

1. Please clarify how they get these gains from Africa's natural resources. Is it by stealing it or by doing normal business and trade which both parties profit from?

2. I agree with this sole logical statement you've made. It's the fault of we and our leaders. No one else. And it's our responsibility to fix it not moaning about how others are running their own country.

3. Your 'jocking' comment is puerile, but I'm not surprised by the childish taunts. I've come to expect the primary-school age grade retorts when people don't have facts-based responses on this thread.

To the issue - yes I know who I am and that's why I'm saying what I'm saying to make it clear to myself and everyone else like me that the fault and solution are both in our hands, if we decide to take action to better our country, not gorge on victimhood narratives.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Absolutely nobody has said 'all' Nigerians, or otherwise generalised. What you're doing is classic strawman fallacy. The statistics do not lie. If you don't like Sun and DM, bring a source countering them. Simple.

And if you want positive news, find it and promote it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:23pm On Jul 15, 2023
Goke7:

that is why some of us will not keep quiet here, compared to other ethnic groups, Nigerians are still one of the most behaved in this country. I have seen all manner of worse behaviours and even more from the Brits themselves and other nationalities who abuse their own system much more but No na we dey owe NHS pass as far as some people are concerned, real rubbish. Imagine someone even saying most of our development back home are funded by the UK, chai
Some (not all) of the arguments here is just pick me behaviour. My brother has this same spirit, he thinks he’s one of them until it’s time to travel out of the country then reality kicks in and he’s complaining about the unfair treatment of blacks but when he’s back to base, he goes back into his pick me behaviour. He’s my brother and I love him but I call him out on his bullshit behaviour at any chance I get.

Not all of us are bad and we must continue to push that narrative as much as we can.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2023
koonbey:

It's not a lie because it hurts you to acknowledge it, because you desperately want it to be untrue, or because you rail about it and ask tons of irrelevant questions.

1. On aid:

£209.39 million in 2020/21
£95.12 million in 2021/22

Before that it was around ±£150,000
Sources - https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmfaff/202/report.html

EU - Since 2014, the EU has provided close to €437 million to help people in need in the country,. Source - https://civil-protection-humanitarian-aid.ec.europa.eu/where/africa/nigeria_en#how-are-we-helping

US - provided nearly $505 million in Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021 Source - https://www.usaid.gov/news-information/press-releases/mar-12-2021-united-states-announces-nearly-104-million-additional-humanitarian

You can find other sources for previous years. I won't do your homework for you.

2. On 'is it charity?'

Yes, it is charity. Nigeria trades and earns profits from all these countries separate from the aid they send.

The investments earn profit, and they pay taxes on it, apart from creating jobs, facilitating economic growth etc etc. Nigeria and Nigerians also have investments in some other countries - can you share how much of aid they have been sending there?

3. 'It's small for 200 Million people'

Is the UK Nigeria's father? Why should they be responsible for 200 Million people.

Have you checked what the budgetary allocations for different sectors is?

I know it's a difficult issue for you to confront, but do your research and I'm sure you'll lose a lot of this gragra.

Many of the largest interventions have been funded by these donations, from eradicating polio to various justice programs. As far back as 10 years ago as a law student, it was USAID that was the primary funder for our pro-bono law clinics to get people out of prison, which Nigeria held (and I guess still holds) the Guinness world record for the highest number of people being held in prison pre-trial. No government funding or even concern. It's UK/US/EU, and you're asking me if Nigeria is beggarly. Lol.

Oga there is no charity anywhere, the world is a complete jungle and it's what you put in you get. All these stats ( it doesn't even catch my fancy if you think so) you are reeling here is nothing to be compared to what Nigeria now gets from doing business with China and from the Far East. Why do you think in recent times Nigeria has stood up to the West to counter some of their views, you think it's mouth?

Do you know how much Nigeria too now spends in foreign aids to other countries in need or do you think it's all collecting Nigeria is doing? Guy we have moved past all these nonsense aid of a thing. The west can continue to send in aids as they like which some of us now know and I repeat is a drop in the ocean compared to what these nations also collect. Nobody is doing charity, it's all business and that's what facilitates development ok?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Natwest has PDF option so I don't even see the correlation

When the bad outweighs the good by over 90%, then what do you expect?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 15, 2023
Goke7:

Oga there is no charity anywhere, the world is a complete jungle and it's what you put in you get. All these stats ( it doesn't even catch my fancy if you think so) you are reeling here is nothing to be compared to what Nigeria now gets from doing business with China and from the Far East. Why do you think in recent times Nigeria has stood up to the West to counter some of their views, you think it's mouth?

Do you know how much Nigeria too now spends in foreign aids to other countries in need or do you think it's all collecting Nigeria is doing? Guy we have moved past all these nonsense aid of a thing. The west can continue to send in aids as they like which some of us now know and I repeat is a drop in the ocean compared to what these nations also collect. Nobody is doing charity, it's all business and that's what facilitates development ok?

Lmao. I knew it was hopeless but I still tried.

Mea culpa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:29pm On Jul 15, 2023
koonbey:

3. Your 'jocking' comment is puerile, but I'm not surprised by the childish taunts. I've come to expect the primary-school age grade retorts when people don't have facts-based responses on this thread.

To the issue - yes I know who I am and that's why I'm saying what I'm saying to make it clear to myself and everyone else like me that the fault and solution are both in our hands, if we decide to take action to better our country, not gorge on victimhood narratives.

Childish taunts yet to you took the time out to tell me to speak to someone in fintech without understanding that my comment was based solely on customer experience and how fintech is advanced in Nigeria. Or isn’t that positive news enough for you? Or would the conversation be more suitable for you if I share more of the ills of the country to you since that seems to be more of your MO.

If you missed all of that and the genesis of the conversation then the point will continue to fly over your head because you just want to be politically correct and call it victimhood when someone points out that yes there’s the bad but there’s also the good and this should equally be promoted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:31pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Some (not all) of the arguments here is just pick me behaviour. My brother has this same spirit, he thinks he’s one of them until it’s time to travel out of the country then reality kicks in and he’s complaining about the unfair treatment of blacks but when he’s back to base, he goes back into his pick me behaviour. He’s my brother and I love him but I call him out on his bullshit behaviour at any chance I get.

Not all of us are bad and we must continue to push that narrative as much as we can.

It's a problem with us as a people, when we get some privileges, we start that pick-me behaviour. It's who we are and I doubt we can change

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:32pm On Jul 15, 2023
koonbey:

Lmao. I knew it was hopeless but I still tried.

Mea culpa.

grin doesn't help your false narratives, try harder
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:36pm On Jul 15, 2023
hustla:

Natwest has PDF option so I don't even see the correlation

When the bad outweighs the good by over 90%, then what do you expect?

I mentioned Barclays not NatWest.
I’m sorry that this happened to your family. May their souls rest in peace and yes, Nigeria also happened to my mother, and she was forced to move back to her country. It has also happened to me and the people who are still speaking about the good. Anyway, sorry for your loss. No need to push this any further.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2023
abuhusna1:

Register on uphold.com and sell you usdt to pounds and withdraw from there.
They also have master card that you can use to shop or withdraw your uphold funds over atm. Morrso you het 2% cash back of whatever you shop with the card.
I got xrp worth 19 pounds this month and held it then behold xrp moon and I sold it for 30 pounds

Thanks boss

Ill try that

Don't know what xrp and the others are though cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:51pm On Jul 15, 2023
Asking me how the UK makes from the Nigerian natural resources Lol. As if Shell, Unilever etc are not owned by the UK. I’ve done enough back and forth on this thread. Back to lurking. 😁😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cbn4main: 12:58pm On Jul 15, 2023
hyzich:

The chances are high. However, your experience matters more than the qualifications.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:04pm On Jul 15, 2023
Goke7:

It's a problem with us as a people, when we get some privileges, we start that pick-me behaviour. It's who we are and I doubt we can change
We can never change. One thing about the Indians, they think coming to the UK is their birth right because of how much damage the UK did to their nation. But when we speak, let’s shut up about Neocolonialism 🥲

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:17pm On Jul 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
Asking me how the UK makes from the Nigerian natural resources Lol. As if Shell, Unilever etc are not owned by the UK. I’ve done enough back and forth on this thread. Back to lurking. 😁😁

seeing some narratives here, Let's not blame some folks much, what they don't know is that not everyone came to the Uk with that Nigeria is a shithole mentality as some are very informed about the amount of trade that exist between both nations and the immense benefit the Uk also has. Maybe some think some sectors in Nigeria like aviation, maritime, oil, and gas are naira-based sectors that don't give so much but they forget that businesses in such sectors are dollar based. Hence the thinking that foreign aid is what makes Nigeria. Very laughable

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by genkins(m): 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2023
abuhusna1:

Register on uphold.com and sell you usdt to pounds and withdraw from there.
They also have master card that you can use to shop or withdraw your uphold funds over atm. Morrso you het 2% cash back of whatever you shop with the card.
Uphold doesn't operate in nigeria.i tried to use VPN but I need a mailing address..that aside.pls can uphold credit a pounds domicially account in Nigeria?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefunmi2014: 1:34pm On Jul 15, 2023
eniola1010:

For now dont apply again, the more you apply and get rejected the slimmer it gets for you to own one, rejection affects approval.

I dont know what visa you are on, but if you are on t4 or psw the chances may be slim, but if you are on a visa that expires like in few years time maybe on a 4 year visa it would help you more. Cus the years you have to live in the uk helps.

Thank you for your response.

I am on tier 2 visa. My Visa expires next year but my contract is renewable..
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefunmi2014: 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Have you had a look at your credit history..........

My credit score is above 5oo points.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:40pm On Jul 15, 2023
heroshark:

I don't know why you keep stressing the black and brown like the policy is targeted at them only. The policy is targeted at immigrant/non-immigrant who want to leave their countries to come live in the UK whether black, brown or white the race is inconsequential.
And I think it's a win-win for even the immigrants because I personally will choose to pay the increased ihs fee, once and for all, than having my tax increase. Additionally even the immigrants working in those sectors also get a pay increase.

Go to page 86 and see the origin of 'black and brown'. After that, you could raise it up again.

A win-win I see.

Let me break it down for you. This is like your boss taking from your salary to pay for the road trip of your work colleagues. You then call it a win-win cos you were also on the bus and that you alone paying for the whole trip prevented everyone from contributing their fair share.

This move means that immigrants are left poorer (cue inflation) irrespective of whatever salary increase they receive just so Brits can have more in their pockets. This creates inequalities. Read through polished 'right sounding statements'

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (539) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Goodenoch, rayralph(m), oluxmondd2 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.