Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (471328 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (542) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:33pm On Jul 17, 2023
hustla:

Hmmm Key thing is salary. Na money man dey follow. All these argument about UK and ihs increment isn't even what's annoying me, it's the salaries

If their jobs paid high salaries, I'd just say We die here but mba grin

£35K / £45K salary in UK
$130K in Yankee
$150K in Australia

Be forewarned that Australia is $2500 a year for IHS oh....so make sure you don't start another petition about double taxation when you get there 😄

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
I don start petition on top the matter 🤭
peerielass I hope to see your signature on it ☺️

https://chng.it/yWHfW2HzGk

Well done, well written 👍

But you should have also made a case for student and other non-tax paying immigrants lol cos the gov has gotten used to the revenue from IHS and you can bet that if they do exempt tax paying immigrants, they will recoup it elsewhere probably by increasing it further for students and others.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2023
hustla:

Yeah they do.. But many folks are seeking sponsorship etc

May not be feasible unless dependent has sponsorship

Outside ir35 contracts are far fewer now as well as most fall under the strict IR35 criteria. The govt is even clamping down on the umbrella companies that many contractors are having to manage, closing down any remaining tax loopholes.

HMRC (His Majesty's Revenue & Customs) is cracking down on umbrella companies used by contractors to pay their taxes, with 10,000 tribunal cases pending. The number of individual incidents increased sevenfold in a year from the 1,200 documented at the end of June 2021 to over 10,000 at the end of June 2022.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:59pm On Jul 17, 2023
Peerielass:

While your labour is dealing with public schools, can they also devise a means to stop people from buying/renting houses in posh neighbourhood so they can be in ‘catchment’ for high performing comprehensive schools and also stop rich parents from tutoring their kids from from age 5 for 11plus exams leaving kids from poor backgrounds to slum it out in schools rated as inadequate. Those are the real actions that perpetuate inequality in the society.

Personally I don’t give a toss who’s in power be it the tories or labours or t[b]he SNP for we Scots. [/b]They are all the same and their only agenda is to screw me over.

The SNP fumbled the bag massively, they're going to lose a lot of seats to labour I think. I liked Nicola but some of the agenda she was pushing before she resigned was quite bewildering.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 3:03pm On Jul 17, 2023
triplo3:

Hi Elders, I saw this post and decided to try my luck, please how do I use my British Airways/Avios points? I have 342 / 956 points from the mobile app. Every time I click on Book Travel or Hotels link, it doesn't work. Same thing on the website? Also can I use the points (956) for return flight to Naija? Thank you

You can use it to pay for flights, hotels, car hire, etc through your Executive Club Account, Participating Merchants website and so many other ways

But the real point to note here is that I think 956 points is very very small. Using a referral link to join alone gives you about 4,000 and each Pound you spend gives you a point. So you may need to accumulate some more. I, for instance, have well over 100,000 points.

The value of the points are really tiny (maybe half pence each) so you need a lot for something significant.

I don't know if it's a special offer but if you use my code, you get 8,000 points:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDASmvK?XL=MNMNS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2023
steadyMoving22:
Any idea if this is allowed for movement within a few kilometres? It's an E scooter and I intend to use it for a little few moving around.

People use it but it's illegal to use private scooters on public roads but most Police Officers don't care about seizing them or prosecuting offenders but they're illegal and I've seen them seized and destroyed.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2023
RalphJean:

Again, you got it wrong.
We are NOT holding the British/British Govt to NIGERIAN Standards.

We are holding the British Government to much publicised BRITISH STandards.

I think this post of yours summarises why you got it spectacularly wrong in this debate.

It is not us who laid down the standards to the Brits. We are/were not the ones who enacted the Equality Act 2010. It is the BRITISH.
If you can’t see that these policies make the British (Government) look like (the) hypocrites (that they possibly are) then I’m sorry. There is absolutely zero point debating this with you.

Isn’t it interesting that even the best debater on this issue (my opinion) a certain @Zahra29 could not deny the unfairness of double taxation?

Sorry,I didn't reply cos I was tired lol

To your point I would agree with the poster who said that it isn't moral per se - in a perfect world.

I understand why immigrants do not feel that it is fair. However fairness is subjective.

From the perspective of the govt, it is fair because it is acting in the best interests of its citizens whom it has a duty to place first.

It is fair because immigrants are made aware of the IHS tax before they apply for a visa, and it is a free choice for them to come or to remain in the UK.

It is fair because there are other policies which negatively affect British citizens e..g the 2 child benefit cap I mentioned and many other austerity measures like removal of PIP payments for people who were entitled to it.. Many Brits are being impacted by Tory govt policy but most have the stoic British way of "keep calm/quiet and carry on". It is not just immigrants who are feeling the pinch.

It is fair because it is comparable to health insurance schemes adopted by pretty much every Western country such as Germany, and despite the additional tax, the IHS is still a nominal amount that provides great value for money for the many who have used or will use it.

I think it's unfair if the increase has already been implemented as not enough notice was given, but I can't find any evidence that this is the case - the gov website still references the current fees.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2023
Zahra29:

Be forewarned that Australia is $2500 a year for IHS oh....so make sure you don't start another petition about double taxation when you get there 😄

If they pay well, why would I have a reason to complain?

I'd be crazy to complain about $2500 when on a $120K salary

grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:30pm On Jul 17, 2023
Zahra29:

Outside ir35 contracts are far fewer now as well as most fall under the strict IR35 criteria. The govt is even clamping down on the umbrella companies that many contractors are having to manage, closing down any remaining tax loopholes.

HMRC (His Majesty's Revenue & Customs) is cracking down on umbrella companies used by contractors to pay their taxes, with 10,000 tribunal cases pending. The number of individual incidents increased sevenfold in a year from the 1,200 documented at the end of June 2021 to over 10,000 at the end of June 2022.

I'm still a student so it doesn't really apply to me (for now)

They're always clamping down on this or that
grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2023
hustla:

I'm still a student so it doesn't really apply to me (for now)

They're always clamping down on this or that
grin

Don't mind them. The IR changes were painful 🥲 and many contractors like freelancers were particularly impacted.

But we keep calm and carry on...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dappy25: 3:37pm On Jul 17, 2023
Please how early can one apply for Post Study work Visa? For instance my post study work Visa is due to expire in January 2024 ending. Can I apply for the Psw 4 months before it expires?

Obviously we are aware of the impending increase to Visa fees so if I can apply ahead of time that would be good 🙂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:10pm On Jul 17, 2023
I m really sorry you feel that way about the Government. You must have arrived the UK in the past 13 years. Labour are not exactly saints but they are 100% preferable on public services. Ask any teacher, doctor , police officer, lawyer how well those services functioned prior to 2010. Hopefully, we can get things back to normal.
I wasnt here then as well but i read voraciously and can find ample evidence that conditions were much much better.
Peerielass:

While your labour is dealing with public schools, can they also devise a means to stop people from buying/renting houses in posh neighbourhood so they can be in ‘catchment’ for high performing comprehensive schools and also stop rich parents from tutoring their kids from from age 5 for 11plus exams leaving kids from poor backgrounds to slum it out in schools rated as inadequate. Those are the real actions that perpetuate inequality in the society.

Personally I don’t give a toss who’s in power be it the tories or labours or the SNP for we Scots. They are all the same and their only agenda is to screw me over.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 4:18pm On Jul 17, 2023
missjekyll:
I m really sorry you feel that way about the Government. You must have arrived the UK in the past 13 years. Labour are not exactly saints but they are 100% preferable on public services. Ask any teacher, doctor , police officer, lawyer how well those services functioned prior to 2010. Hopefully, we can get things back to normal.
I wasnt here then as well but i read voraciously and can find ample evidence that conditions were much much better.

No I was here when Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were Pms and it wasn’t any different then. In fact it was even worse for immigrants then - there were no jobs for black and brown people. All the jobs were reserved for Eastern Europeans so in a way I’m thankful to the Tories for Brexit and the opportunities it has created.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2023
Welldone Kwaku, I already signed this and shared it.
kwakudtraveller:
I don start petition on top the matter 🤭
peerielass I hope to see your signature on it ☺️

https://chng.it/yWHfW2HzGk

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 4:29pm On Jul 17, 2023
Dappy25:
Please how early can one apply for Post Study work Visa? For instance my post study work Visa is due to expire in January 2024 ending. Can I apply for the Psw 4 months before it expires?

Obviously we are aware of the impending increase to Visa fees so if I can apply ahead of time that would be good 🙂

How many PSW visa do you want to apply for?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
"Recent immigrant"

That is a self limiting misnomer and I encourage every legal immigrant to take advantage of every single legal opportunity this country offers.

At the moment, Nigeria is sending its very best skilled and brightest to the UK as immigrants. Don't let anybody convince you that you are less just because you are new.

I haven't let that stop me and you shouldn't either.

In passing, i pay an outrageous amount in taxes. So if you are using that criteria, I still retain my audacity of equality. You can choose to relinquish yours, I will exercise mine fully.

Zahra29:

But why would a recent immigrant expect to receive the same benefits and rights as a citizen who's lived in the UK and paid taxes for many years and their parents also (in many cases). It's like expecting the British govt to expend the same energy rescuing a UK resident captured or in trouble in another country, when they can just about rescue their own citizens. When you have sworn allegiance to the King in a citizenship ceremony, then sure you should expect the exact same treatment as other citizens.

Would you be happy if immigrants from Ghana for example arrived nIgeria and received the same rights and benefits as yourself, a citizen who has lived in and contributed to the country in many ways?

The same thing would happen to a British citizen who emigrated to Australia - they would have to pay their IHS equivalent and wouldn't have access to the same benefits as Australians until they naturalise.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Madeu(m): 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2023
missjekyll:
"Recent immigrant"

That is a self limiting misnomer and I encourage every legal immigrant to take advantage of every single legal opportunity this country offers.

At the moment, Nigeria is sending its very best skilled and brightest to the UK as immigrants. Don't let anybody convince you that you are less just because you are new.

In passing, I pay an outrageous amount in taxes. So if you are using that criteria, I still retain my audacity of equality. You can choose to relinquish yours, I will exercise mine fully.

I call myself an expatriate.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
Solumtoya:

You can use it to pay for flights, hotels, car hire, etc through your Executive Club Account, Participating Merchants website and so many other ways

But the real point to note here is that I think 956 points is very very small. Using a referral link to join alone gives you about 4,000 and each Pound you spend gives you a point. So you may need to accumulate some more. I, for instance, have well over 100,000 points.

The value of the points are really tiny (maybe half pence each) so you need a lot for something significant.

I don't know if it's a special offer but if you use my code, you get 8,000 points:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDASmvK?XL=MNMNS

I don't really earn anything from referrals since February cos I already maxed out the 90,000 maximum per year one can earn

Thanks I have an AMEX card already, and I've been using for over 6 months, but no successful referrals yet, only what I spend monthly.

For the Executive Club Account, do I have to create a new account or just log on with my AMEX details?

And for anyone feeling charitable, help your boy gain points by using my referral link (since Oga Solumtoya don max out lol):

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/uGOCHOCR7G?XLINK=MYCP
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 5:09pm On Jul 17, 2023
missjekyll:
"Recent immigrant"

In passing, i pay an outrageous amount in taxes. So if you are using that criteria, I still retain my audacity of equality. You can choose to relinquish yours, I will exercise mine fully.

Recent immigrant e.g arrived in the last 5 years (and still on the citizenship route) Vs an immigrant who has lived the requisite number of years in the UK and has settled or naturalised.

You're misrepresenting my point. No one is saying that immigrants are less than or should limit themselves; of course immigrants should and do make use of every legal opportunity.

If you read the original post, the point was that until they swear allegiance to the King, there are some inequalities and certain privileges and opportunities that immigrants will not be able to access, regardless of how much tax you pay, and this isn't unfair or surprising
This is true in every country and does not prevent immigrants from being successful.I use the same example of billionaire Al Fayad.

And come to it, there is even an effective 2-tier citizenship wherein naturalised citizens or citizens with access to another passport, can be stripped of their British citizenship by the HM govt. But that's another topic....(before Justwise comes for me lol)

Sorry, I had to laugh at the bolded. Nigeria is sending out its brightest - in the manner of emissaries or missionaries? Or more like the brightest are fleeing Nigeria in search of better opportunities?

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 5:23pm On Jul 17, 2023
hustla:

Costs £148 per person to renew post study visa for Nigerians in Canadian school . Just dey blow my mind since my friend told me

We will soon be paying about £2500 per person, roughly CAD 4,317.Now imagine a family of 5 applying for this route excluding rent, feeding etc, major cash out for UK gov

grin

Hehe... it's why I advise folks moreso those who emigrate early to build themselves and aim high... That's when u know that employers would make exceptions for you. When the questions then become whether to remain or move elsewhere.

Peerielass:

....You want them to charge VAT on tuition fees for parents who are already subsidising other people’s education by not taking up places in state schools?

I like your impressioned statement about VAT on school fee. Those are tired arguments that have been well addressed with a number of national examples.
Why not share reasons why it makes economic sense to abolish inheritance tax, keep private education vat free, abolish additional tax rate while at thesame time, make ilr/visa fees go up every year with inflation, extend time for ilr to 8 yrs, put all immigrants on a 45% tax treshold and worse still exclude naturalised folks from state pension.

Cue: These are all political decisions. Groveling over a policy that rewards the rich at the expense of the poor only creates inequality.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MichaelUde: 5:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
Best and gini?

Make I laugh small.

Basically anyone who can wangle the funds to get a care job or print off a bank statement is who's coming to the UK. There is a higher proportion of older, more established people career-wise, yes, but the Nigerian equivalent of yobs and Oshodi boys are also coming over in large numbers. There are some beings you see on the streets these days who wouldn't have gotten tourist visas before who are now making noise on the roads and showing themselves.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 5:42pm On Jul 17, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

How many PSW visa do you want to apply for?

Inam sure he meant his tier4 visa is expiring soon

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 5:50pm On Jul 17, 2023
jedisco:

Cue: These are all political decisions. Groveling over a policy that rewards the rich at the expense of the poor only creates inequality.

Thank goodness we’ve finally arrived at the same conclusion that it’s ultimately a political decision and the government will use its fiscal powers to raise revenue how/when they deem fit. And as to whether a policy rewards the rich or creates inequality, remember both wealth and poverty are relative terms and are subject to various interpretations.

Now can you hurry and sign Kwaku’s petition to get the ball rolling for the change you’ve been agitating for?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
MichaelUde:
Best and gini?

Make I laugh small.
😹😹😹😹The amount of self-delusion I’ve seen ehn.

« Best and brightest. »

« Nigerian immigrants in the UK are like banana island residents among Nigerians »

« Nigeria is sending » ..: abi people are jumping ship and fleeing for their lives 😹

P.S. Me I will not engage this or similar topics here again, so help me God, so I don’t end up saying things I do not want to put on a public forum.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2023
Nigeria is sending …. Omggg what is all this on this forum
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:18pm On Jul 17, 2023
@missjekyll this is for you…this was the then labour PM publicly announcing British Jobs were for British Graduates. The same labour government you are advocating and singing praises of.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jan/30/brown-british-jobs-workers

So believe me when I tell you all the politicians are the same.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:38pm On Jul 17, 2023
koonbey:

😹😹😹😹The amount of self-delusion I’ve seen ehn.

« Best and brightest. »

« Nigerian immigrants in the UK are like banana island residents among Nigerians »

« Nigeria is sending » ..: abi people are jumping ship and fleeing for their lives 😹

P.S. Me I will not engage this or similar topics here again, so help me God, so I don’t end up saying things I do not want to put on a public forum.

Nooooo.....biko, e joo, don Allah, don't stop speaking out 🥲

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:51pm On Jul 17, 2023
hustla:

Hmmm Key thing is salary. Na money man dey follow. All these argument about UK and ihs increment isn't even what's annoying me, it's the salaries

If their jobs paid high salaries, I'd just say We die here but mba grin

£35K / £45K salary in UK
$130K in Yankee
$150K in Australia

If this is true omo I don’t mind the shooting in USA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 6:52pm On Jul 17, 2023
missjekyll:
At the moment, Nigeria is sending its very best skilled and brightest to the UK as immigrants. Don't let anybody convince you that you are less just because you are new.I haven't let that stop me and you shouldn't either.
You are unhinged. My God.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:57pm On Jul 17, 2023
Zahra29:

Well done, well written 👍

But you should have also made a case for student and other non-tax paying immigrants lol cos the gov has gotten used to the revenue from IHS and you can bet that if they do exempt tax paying immigrants, they will recoup it elsewhere probably by increasing it further for students and others.
Baby steps 😉
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:58pm On Jul 17, 2023
RalphJean:

So long as you want to justify British Policies, using NIGERIAN standards, you will never get it right in this debate.

For you to suggest that Legal and law abiding Nigerian Immigrants in the UK should not be treated as equals and Infact should not have ‘audacity of equality’ proves how you want to judge the British society using (your) Nigerian standards.

My own is as a black skinned you can never be free in a white man land. They are the majority and they will always make/ bend the rules to benefit their own.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:00pm On Jul 17, 2023
Why is this news to you? The UK is skimming off the best of Nigeria through its points based immigration system.

I resent being described in this way and kindly refrain from this going forward. Thank you
giselle237:
You are unhinged. My God.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (542) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.