Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (461623 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:01am On Jul 18, 2023
lavida001:

You forget to Add that snakes are your next door neighbour in Aussie

So have you been there and how many Nigerians have snakes killed in Australia?

.. Or You're simply regurgitating what you have heard others saying

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:01am On Jul 18, 2023
Focus99:
Which one is yankee? You mean USA?

Yes

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:05am On Jul 18, 2023
dupyshoo:
The roles you mentioned attract high salaries here in the UK too not the 45k you mentioned. I see average of £70-90k.

Just wanted to point out that most of these countries are very similar. Only US stand out for IT jobs.

You're forgetting the ease of getting that passport in addition, not being hounded with 'chameleonic' rules and being reminded every 7 market days that you're the reason why the Queen died

wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Wking: 7:20am On Jul 18, 2023
my People.

For those that did there provisional driver license, did you send your original Brp card or int'l passport along in the white envelop to Dvla.
how did you generate the Share code starting with S? this people want to scatter someone head.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 7:21am On Jul 18, 2023
dupyshoo:
Regarding the bolded, in which field will you easily get this pay in Australia? If it is IT, then you will need years of experience. I was recently comparing IT salaries in UK vs Australia and I realised IT kind of pay more in the UK. Not so sure of other profession though.

Australia also come with a lot of issues such as high cost of living, expensive houses among others. All countries have their pros and cons.

Including snakes! Can't go to Australia on a visit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 7:30am On Jul 18, 2023
If you are planning to switch from student visa to care worker visa or skill work visa, its no longer possible

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nihilistjnr: 7:30am On Jul 18, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

You negotiate! Everything on jobsites are wishlists. I took a contract last year and they wanted me in twice a week, I said mbah and I was ready to walk. We sha agreed once a month.

That was last year brah. I'm currently on a fully remote contract working 4 days a week when the job listing stated hybrid working, 2 days in the office, 5 days a week,

I was lucky to get this contract before the latest down turn, and was juggling it with some other engagements.

Try doing it now. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nihilistjnr: 7:33am On Jul 18, 2023
Schoolhike:

Omg, you noticed this reduction in pay for lots of jobs also.

When I was made redundant in my previous company, I started looking for jobs that could match my previous pay, I couldn’t get much talk less of more pay.

It’s because of the competition.

If a job is posted today on indeed, check back in few days, you will be marvelled by the number of applicants.

Yes, there's a huge storm coming. And it's an employer's market right now with cost of living crisis AND interest rate hikes wreaking havoc on people's bank balance.

There's fewer jobs, with lower rates, certainly in my field. I've actually started looking further afield for work...particularly in the middle east.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 7:48am On Jul 18, 2023
abuhusna1:
If you are planning to switch from student visa to care worker visa or skill work visa, its no longer possible

I think this has been in effect for a while now, perhaps some new adjustments to it made them include it in this new update.

Tbh, I support this. People should at least be ready to complete their studies if they came in on a student Visa. I heard some were even abandoning their studies and switching from the first few days or weeks after arriving, thereby subjecting many universities to profit loss.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 7:56am On Jul 18, 2023
giselle237:
you are unserious. You came to this country of your own accord. Nigeria did not send you here. Nigeria did not send anyone here.
What’s all this drama? The UK is skimming/scheming of the best of you?? Tuh! What is this you are speaking? Did they ask for you?
You were looking for a better life and came here. Nigeria DID NOT SEND ANY BRIGHTEST AND BEST ANYWHERE. We came for better lives. Stop this for God’s sake.

Abeg o. We are once at the top of the civilization chain we are the brightest o.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 7:58am On Jul 18, 2023
LionInZion:

I think this has been in effect for a while now, perhaps some new adjustments to it made them include it in this new update.

Tbh, I support this. People should at least be ready to complete their studies if they came in on a student Visa. I heard some were even abandoning their studies and switching from the first few days or weeks after arriving, thereby subjecting many universities to profit loss.
If you know what you want in life no wrong going for it. I was part of the beneficiaries of switch as my wife switched from student to work visa 3 months after we landed despite she paid her school fees complete. She just changed the study to online route and got refunded 3k pounds for switching to online study. Abroad not for slow people cos policies changes all the time.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 8:12am On Jul 18, 2023
abuhusna1:

If you know what you want in life no wrong going for it. I was part of the beneficiaries of switch as my wife switched from student to work visa 3 months after we landed despite she paid her school fees complete. She just changed the study to online route and got refunded 3k pounds for switching to online study. Abroad not for slow people cos policies changes all the time.

At least your wife didn't abandon her programme, which makes it a win win for her and her school. And I'm not blaming those who did, only saying it was fair to stop it as it was becoming an issue for many universities. And talking about knowing what one wants in life, some just wanted to complete their course before thinking of jobs or anything else. And that doesn't mean they're slow.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 8:17am On Jul 18, 2023
nihilistjnr:

That was last year brah. I'm currently on a fully remote contract working 4 days a week when the job listing stated hybrid working, 2 days in the office, 5 days a week,

I was lucky to get this contract before the latest down turn, and was juggling it with some other engagements.

Try doing it now. grin

I started this one in May and it was advertised as hybrid. The last time I was in the office was when I went to collect the laptop. My good mate got three at the same time just 2 weeks ago; one outside and two inside(both SC) all remote. I believe it depends on your field and your negotiating prowess.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 8:26am On Jul 18, 2023
koonbey:
Summary of the changes. Copied.

Full statement is here if you’re one of those rare beings who love trawling through legalese - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1170977/E02942553_-_Immigration_Rules_changes_-_HC_1496__Web_Accessible_.pdf
I think the changes regarding dependants will take effect from January 2024

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nihilistjnr: 8:32am On Jul 18, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

I started this one in May and it was advertised as hybrid. The last time I was in the office was when I went to collect the laptop. My good mate got three at the same time just 2 weeks ago; one outside and two inside(both SC) all remote. I believe it depends on your field and your negotiating prowess.

I think it's more luck than anything else. SC cleared jobs are not representative of the general job market so I wouldnt extrapolate anything from that.

In the same May, I got a 6 month extension on an outside contract, but by June it was canned and the whole PMO team disbanded because Revenue was trending downwards significantly. I didnt even know how to feel as I was the one that drove the implementation of the financial MI reporting strategy.

You might not see it now because you're in contract, but trust me...you WILL. And a lot sooner than you might think,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:45am On Jul 18, 2023
In more grin news, a slice of Car, as seen yesterday

Will help with the cost of living crisis

cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:54am On Jul 18, 2023
nihilistjnr:

I think it's more luck than anything else. SC cleared jobs are not representative of the general job market so I wouldnt extrapolate anything from that.

In the same May, I got a 6 month extension on an outside contract, but by June it was canned and the whole PMO team disbanded because Revenue was trending downwards significantly. I didnt even know how to feel as I was the one that drove the implementation of the financial MI reporting strategy.

You might not see it now because you're in contract, but trust me...you WILL. And a lot sooner than you might think,

Contract jobs are becoming a risk now, had a friend who went out of contract and had to resort to doing care support job for now to fend for his family. An AML expert o.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:59am On Jul 18, 2023
Goke7:

Contract jobs are becoming a risk now, had a friend who went out of contract and had to resort to doing care support job for now to fend for his family. An AML expert o.

Asking for a friend, what happened to all the £500 per day he’s been putting aside over the past 6 months when he was in contract?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by obioraval(m): 9:02am On Jul 18, 2023
tshoboy:
people that haven’t applied for their student visa for a course in September are not going to be happy. I thought this was effective from January 2024

It's effective immediately but doesn't occur till January 2024. It's on the full update

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:06am On Jul 18, 2023
Peerielass:

Asking for a friend, what happened to all the £500 per day he’s been putting aside over the past 6 months when he was in contract?

So we don’t judge bruv, he has two brothers who came in recently via student route and he was solely responsible for all their runs. I really felt bad for him but he told me if those guys remain in Nigeria he will still be responsible for them. It was indeed a sacrifice he made and I have no reasons to judge him. In fact he’s a rare being in my opinion. The current reality of things mhen.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 9:11am On Jul 18, 2023
Goke7:

So we don’t judge bruv, he has two brothers who came in recently via student route and he was solely responsible for all their runs. I really felt bad for him but he told me if those guys remain in Nigeria he will still be responsible for them. It was indeed a sacrifice he made and I have no reasons to judge him. In fact he’s a rare being in my opinion. The current reality of things mhen.

I wasn’t judging just wanted to understand how someone’s circumstances could change so quickly. Rule of thumb though is to always set aside a buffer of 3 months wages to tide you by in case of any eventualities.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nihilistjnr: 9:12am On Jul 18, 2023
Goke7:

I think Contracting is going back to what it used to be on all honesty.

COVID warped the market. Prior to 2020 fully remote contracts were not the norm, except for mostly off-shore developer or tech support gigs.

Covid opened the door for a lot of fully remote work, and niggas started running multiple engagements, their tastes changed and their bills went up.

Then hybrid became a thing. The war in Ukraine broke out. Cost of living and energy crises exploded. Inflation skyrocketed.BoE Interest rates went from near zero percent in 2021 to 5% today. And now noggas are desperately latching on the few remote contracts to keep spinning to keep the lights on.

Oboy.

Below is a screenshot I took of a remote contract job listing that I found this morning on LinkedIn. Note the numbers. Note the breakdown. Note the qualifications. According to LinkedIn, I would be a top applicant for the role, but the top end rate is at least 30% less than the day rates a similar role would have attracted just 4 months ago.

I'm not trying to be a prophet of doom, but to let people know what the new normal might look like very soon.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 9:18am On Jul 18, 2023
jedisco:
I am think thats an issue here. For some folks, their sense of worth is tied to having the passport. Unfortunately, it's not the case for everyone. Over recent years, a number of our best heads have moved to the UK. All these folks cannot be pummelled into the bottom rung as in times past. Most recent legal migrants into the UK have put in more than is due and its up to them demand the full gamut of experience for their moneys worth.
What if I tell you a number of them can't wait for the 6 years to come before they retrieve their well earned passport and head off while having their UK investments incl properties yield? They dont even pay IHS, some are offered a good sum to remain and may have their visa fees paid for.
Some who's life worth stems from having a British passport would not stomach 'immigrants' who see same passport as an optional bother.
You are contradicting yourself. If noone’s life’s worth is from a British passport as you say, why then are you saying they need to wait 6 years to get this same passport?
Why can’t they forfeit the passport since it’s not important?
Anyone holding on for 6 years for something definitely VALUES that thing and knows that it’s a ‘life’s worth’
Anyone paying so much into this system and awaiting their 6 year run definitely knows it’s worth something.

I like this bigmanism going on on this forum.
Everyone is now above the same British people they came to live with.
Nobody asked the BEST HEADS to leave Nigeria, you all, we all left of our own choosing because the country you come from was and continues to derail.

No one called you, you applied and sought the job if you are on skilled work visa.
No one called you, you applied and sought after the university for studies if you are on a student visa.
You guys need a wake up call because you are now almost deceiving yourselves talking about the passport is optional bother.
Optional indeed.
Or maybe I just do not understand English language.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:49am On Jul 18, 2023
Peerielass:

I wasn’t judging just wanted to understand how someone’s circumstances could change so quickly. Rule of thumb though is to always set aside a buffer of 3 months wages to tide you by in case of any eventualities.

Shebi that’s if you get another contract so quickly, with the downturn we are seeing now (though I still think things will pick up after summer) it’s time people begin to lean towards permanent roles to be safer than sorry. I tried advising this my friend last year but he was really enjoying the contract cash flow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:52am On Jul 18, 2023
nihilistjnr:

I think Contracting is going back to what it used to be on all honesty.

COVID warped the market. Prior to 2020 fully remote contracts were not the norm, except for mostly off-shore developer or tech support gigs.

Covid opened the door for a lot of fully remote work, and niggas started running multiple engagements, their tastes changed and their bills went up.

Then hybrid became a thing. The war in Ukraine broke out. Cost of living and energy crises exploded. Inflation skyrocketed.BoE Interest rates went from near zero percent in 2021 to 5% today. And now noggas are desperately latching on the few remote contracts to keep spinning to keep the lights on.

Oboy.

Below is a screenshot I took of a remote contract job listing that I found this morning on LinkedIn. Note the numbers. Note the breakdown. Note the qualifications. According to LinkedIn, I would be a top applicant for the role, but the top end rate is at least 30% less than the day rates a similar role would have attracted just 4 months ago.

I'm not trying to be a prophet of doom, but to let people know what the new normal might look like very soon.

The multiple engagement thing I think is the reason most firms started moving towards hybrid.

But the hustle is real from your stats, the market is becoming more competitive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:17am On Jul 18, 2023
Wking:
my People.

For those that did there provisional driver license, did you send your original Brp card or int'l passport along in the white envelop to Dvla.
how did you generate the Share code starting with S? this people want to scatter someone head.

You don't need share code if you send your BRP. Yes, you can send your BRP, I did.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:21am On Jul 18, 2023
Goke7:

Reason why I always "feared" contract jobs. If you add the extra non-cash benefits of many permanent roles, they come close to the £450 per day of contract roles.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2023
Peerielass:

It's always weird to me when you guys judge new Immigrants by these personal finance rule of thumbs. It may be that he even had the 3 months but needed to keep earning and not sit and wait till he runs out of the Emergency savings.

I remember when I lost one really good remote job. That same night, I took a shift and went to work at a Warehouse, not because I didn't have any savings but as a recent immigrant, I just had to keep grinding.

As recent immigrants, just like a recent Graduate, we don't have that luxury of these rules. For many, the relocation process left a massive financial void that needs several months or years to fill. So let them "breef"

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:40am On Jul 18, 2023
Solumtoya:

Reason why I always "feared" contract jobs. If you add the extra non-cash benefits of many permanent roles, they come close to the £450 per day of contract roles.

You’re very right, the only advantage I see in contract role is raising a lump sum so fast like mortgage deposit or any other urgent huge cash amount
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 10:56am On Jul 18, 2023
Solumtoya:

It's always weird to me when you guys judge new Immigrants by these personal finance rule of thumbs. It may be that he even had the 3 months but needed to keep earning and not sit and wait till he runs out of the Emergency savings.

I remember when I lost one really good remote job. That same night, I took a shift and went to work at a Warehouse, not because I didn't have any savings but as a recent immigrant, I just had to keep grinding.

As recent immigrants, just like a recent Graduate, we don't have that luxury of these rules. For many, the relocation process left a massive financial void that needs several months or years to fill. So let them "breef"

Again nobody is judging! Like every other subject on this thread, it’s just an advice which you are welcome to accept or ignore.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 11:02am On Jul 18, 2023
Goke7:

Seriously, there's nothing like permanent roles. I was in a contract for over 3 years and they did reorg 3x during the same period. All the permies were always scared of losing their jobs cos they have been in the org for eons, they don't even have any CVs talkless of knowing how to apply for a role. With my Contractor mentality, everyday is my last day. I make conscious effort to look at job boards everyday. You might as well make your money in bulk than getting it piecemeal.

nihilistjnr:

Trust me, I follow job trends like crazy. It's very risky for a contractor not to. Let's see what happen after summer when all the budget holders are back from holidays.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:12am On Jul 18, 2023
Solumtoya:

Lool... Very common misconception. I struggled with it too.

So it's simple: your points are moved from your card account (on the Amex app) to your BA Executive Club account where they are stored as Avios.

So if you spend £2k, at the end of the month, it's moved and on your App, it seems like it has dropped but you need to log in to your BA Account on ba.com where you will see your stash of Avios points accumulated waiting for you.

It's a very clumsy process that takes some getting used to.

Hope that helps...
Ah Okay. Based on what you said, I checked my profile and apparently the points I have is the points I’ve made this month so it’s not as if it’s dropping or increasing, it’s just the points gained over a certain period. Thanks bro for giving me clarity.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: BeckyB1(f), Danator(m), 9ger and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.