Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (474099 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (545) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hamof: 7:33pm On Aug 29, 2023
Good evening everyone, please I will be coming to Uk by next month so I want to know if I really need police clearance certificate as a new comer to get a job.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 8:08pm On Aug 29, 2023
If you can get it before coming, do so but really compulsory but depends on the type of jobs you are looking at and their requirements

Hamof:
Good evening everyone, please I will be coming to Uk by next month so I want to know if I really need police clearance certificate as a new comer to get a job.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 8:21pm On Aug 29, 2023
Peerielass:

They are allowed to travel to Canada, USA etc without a transit visa as long as they have a valid visa/resident permit for the destination country. UK on the other hand is an entirely different story.

Youkay dey use all means find money
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 8:55pm On Aug 29, 2023
Hi all. I am 7month Old in the UK, I checked my Experian credit score and it 911. Which credit card can i apply for . Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Owoado(m): 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2023
Efftyy:
Hi all. I am 7month Old in the UK, I checked my Experian credit score and it 911. Which credit card can i apply for . Thank you
that's a good score.

Use that same Experian to check credit cards you're 85% (and above) eligible for. Then make your choice of card depending on terms and conditions you want.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:57pm On Aug 29, 2023
Sign up for AMEX https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNANS cheesy

Efftyy:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bns4eva: 10:35pm On Aug 29, 2023
tushqueen:
Do we have anyone in here who has bought or is in the process of buying a house using the non-interest option? Kindly drop a message please

If you are a muslim and you stay in London, you can go to East London central mosque at E1, they have a department for Mortgage. You can send me dm for more info aswell.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:18am On Aug 30, 2023
bns4eva:

If you are a muslim and you stay in London, you can go to East London central mosque at E1, they have a department for Mortgage. You can send me dm for more info aswell.
Pls drop update
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Noworries11: 5:49am On Aug 30, 2023
Efftyy:

Congrats

Brethren I currently dey 742 same experian
Can I make sth out of it? Or I should still hold on

No be few days back I go argos to purchase chest freezer na so dem convince me to apply for argos card..never knew they would run a hard check...naso I see alert for hard check... I for jejely dey on my own ooo
Sth way I dey discipline myself to build

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:47am On Aug 30, 2023
Efftyy:

911 on Experian in 7 months?! That has to be a record!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:47am On Aug 30, 2023
cheesy cheesy cheesy ...did you get it? On Experian, you can actually lock your profile against hard searches though. Also, do not be in a haste to apply for another CC until after 6 months at least else your score would take a deep dive if another hard search is carried out.

Noworries11:

Congrats

Brethren I currently dey 742 same experian
Can I make sth out of it? Or I should still hold on

No be few days back I go argos to purchase chest freezer na so dem convince me to apply for argos card..never knew they would run a hard check...naso I see alert for hard check... I for jejely dey on my own ooo
Sth way I dey discipline myself to build
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:48am On Aug 30, 2023
Pearlyfaze:
Good Evening Dear Ancestors.

Abeg this Aqua credit card, shebi if i no go pay interest in the following scenarios:
1. If I nor buy anything with the card for a month.
2. if i buy and pay my total debt via direct debit after the bill is generated.

In simple terms, Does it work like Amex in terms of repayment.

Amex nor gree accept me based on say i been get missing payment on my Gas bill when i been dey drag bill with British gas.

Yeah, they're the same. Also, avoid Cash Withdrawals

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:09am On Aug 30, 2023
Solumtoya:

Yeah, they're the same. Also, avoid Cash Withdrawals

If you want to withdraw cash, get elfin market...... Cash transfer is FREE....... They knock hard o (before you're accepted)........ šŸ¤£

Soft search for eligibility, but hard knock if you proceed....... šŸ˜œ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:29am On Aug 30, 2023
This credit score thing is funny...

My Experian score is 998/999, and i was still refused Currys financing service when they did a soft check.

I really don't understand why, even with over 3 years address and no loans or debts or anything..

Can anyone explain why it might have failed?

I'm asking because I hope this doesn't mean a hard credit check for a mortgage won't fail me?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AlphaUno: 11:38am On Aug 30, 2023
Focus99:
Goodmorning guys.

Please and please I really need help. I will be coming in 15days time and I'm yet to get an accomodation do not see this post and look away. I have been on this search since June. If you have a spare room or know someone that do have in either Brighton, Croydon, Kent or Portsmouth refer me. I will be coming with my partner.

Shuuu people go get money nor see house rent I tire oh

Welcome to the Western world.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 11:49am On Aug 30, 2023
Your credit history >>>> your credit score. Credit score is only a prediction of your credit worthiness and not an actual reality of you being reliable to be afforded a loan facility, they (Bank or Currys) still have to confirm this.

Not having a loan or debt is not a good thing so to speak ....having them and paying regularly is better. Also, note that Currys (for example) may rely on other credit reports aside from Experian. I would suggest you sign up to Totally Money, Credit Karma or Clearscore to get the report from other CB.

All the best.

profemebee:

My Experian score is 998/999, and i was still refused Currys financing service when they did a soft check.

I really don't understand why, even with over 3 years address and no loans or debts or anything..

I'm asking because I hope this doesn't mean a hard credit check for a mortgage won't fail me?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nemie: 1:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hi everyone, been a silent follower on the thread, and appreciate everyone's helpful attitude. Please I need recommendation on a reliable shipping company that can ship items from UK to Lagos or Abuja. I already bought the items, and live in the Bristol area. Happy to consider any shipping companies outside this area as well. Thanks and cheers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Wegetju: 2:08pm On Aug 30, 2023
I have a question guys.

I'm planning to start my practical driving lessons. I have never driven anything before, no bicycle, or motorcycle. I have been advised to go for automatic instead of manual because it's easier. But I think driving automatic kind of restricts you. I don't know if this is correct.

What would you advise me to do, learn automatic or manual? What are the pros and cons, and what are the things I should consider

Also if anyone has recommendations for a driving school or driving instructor in Middlesbrough, please connect me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:02pm On Aug 30, 2023
profemebee:

Let's demystifying this credit score myth.........

You have two aspects of credit scoring - :

- CREDIT HISTORY
- CREDIT REPORT

Credit reports, is more important than credit history........

Your credit history was 999, but your credit report is 0........

Do a combination of both, but more emphasis on the latter...... šŸ¤£šŸ˜œ

NB: You CANNOT build your CREDIT REPORT, without having credit facilities....... šŸ‘šŸ¤£

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2023
Wegetju:
I have a question guys.

I'm planning to start my practical driving lessons. I have never driven anything before, no bicycle, or motorcycle. I have been advised to go for automatic instead of manual because it's easier. But I think driving automatic kind of restricts you. I don't know if this is correct.

What would you advise me to do, learn automatic or manual? What are the pros and cons, and what are the things I should consider

Also if anyone has recommendations for a driving school or driving instructor in Middlesbrough, please connect me.

Automatically Automatic, is the only automatic way to automatically go....... šŸ˜œ

If you want the pass your test in quick time, Automatically automatic, is your best option......

It only restricts you because you CANNOT drive a manual vehicle (and why would you want to, anyway)....... šŸ¤£šŸ˜œ

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:44pm On Aug 30, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Automatically Automatic, is the only automatic way to automatically go....... šŸ˜œ

If you want the pass your test in quick time, Automatically automatic, is your best option......

It only resticts you because you CANNOT drive a manual vehicle (and why would you want to, anyway)....... šŸ¤£šŸ˜œ
It makes you alot versatile if you drive manual

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
lavida001:

Ver kini...... šŸ™„šŸ¤£

I have a manual license, but would NEVER drive a manual EVER again......... šŸ˜œšŸ¤£

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Wking: 5:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
my people i want to apply for canada visit visa from Uk but my family live in Nigeria and i want them to join me on this trip.
but the problem is I Moved here four months ago on a skilled worker visa, with the hope that I would be able to start work in care work immediately i landed ooo, and my family haven't join me yet if not shege pro max.

my family live in Nigeria while i live here in the uk and i want to process a visit visa for us. is it possible she do her biometric in Nigeria while i do mine here in the Uk. Is it possible for me to Use my Nigerian bank statement and company documents to complete the entire visa application Because if I use a UK bank statement, it means that I need to submit a payslip, which I haven't been on any employer's payroll.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 5:08pm On Aug 30, 2023
lavida001:

Gist. This is not the US where you can just drive any car. Unless you're going to buy a manual car after your test, while train for manual and then buy an automatic? Even most company cars these days are auto. If you need to get a rental or van, there are automatic options so why bother yourself?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 5:28pm On Aug 30, 2023
This is always been my position on getting a manual license so you can drive both.

What's the point getting a manual license when you'll only be driving an auto? The requirements for driving a car in the UK are not straightforward.

This might motivate someone, I passed my driving test today (first time) without any minor. It's possible, you can do it.

kode12:

Gist. This is not the US where you can just drive any car. Unless you're going to buy a manual car after your test, while train for manual and then buy an automatic? Even most company cars these days are auto. If you need to get a rental or van, there are automatic options so why bother yourself?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Noworries11: 6:55pm On Aug 30, 2023
lightnlife:
This is always been my position on getting a manual license so you can drive both.

What's the point getting a manual license when you'll only be driving an auto? The requirements for driving a car in the UK are not straightforward.

This might motivate someone, I passed my driving test today (first time) without any minor. It's possible, you can do it.

Please did you use your own car?
Someone encouraged me to get my own car perhaps this would help master the car prior to the test.
To get a good auto car for Ā£2k na tug of war but lots of manual to grab even below the Ā£2k budget.
Make una help
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 7:08pm On Aug 30, 2023
No, I used my instructor's car.

Automatic cars are not predominant in the UK auto market, hence, they're rarely available and expensive.

You might need to increase your budget or downgrade the year/model you're searching for.

If you're currently not looking, you can search on Facebook market. We got a couple of fantastic offers there and even better than autotrader. However, availability/accessibility will be dependent on promixity/location. All the best.

Noworries11:

Please did you use your own car?
Someone encouraged me to get my own car perhaps this would help master the car prior to the test.
To get a good auto car for Ā£2k na tug of war but lots of manual to grab even below the Ā£2k budget.
Make una help

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hamof: 7:54pm On Aug 30, 2023
Good evening house, please can I go ahead and book this flight?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 7:59pm On Aug 30, 2023
lightnlife:
If you're currently not looking, you can search on Facebook market. We got a couple of fantastic offers there and even better than autotrader. However, availability/accessibility will be dependent on promixity/location. All the best.

How did you filter off those scammers, Lots of prices Iā€™m seeing are not real, too low for the actual car.

Once you message them, the next thing is they will send you an email to contact
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 8:04pm On Aug 30, 2023
thanks, i just checked my clearscore and i have 740/1000.. and it says it is Stable..

I don't do loans or debts as i always normally pay off once without any credit, but decided to use the Currys finance as a first-time.. and it failed..

bigtt76:
Your credit history >>>> your credit score. Credit score is only a prediction of your credit worthiness and not an actual reality of you being reliable to be afforded a loan facility, they (Bank or Currys) still have to confirm this.

Not having a loan or debt is not a good thing so to speak ....having them and paying regularly is better. Also, note that Currys (for example) may rely on other credit reports aside from Experian. I would suggest you sign up to Totally Money, Credit Karma or Clearscore to get the report from other CB.

All the best.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 8:05pm On Aug 30, 2023
lol Master, teach me how to build the Credit report when i can't even get credit facilities... i don tire..

Lexusgs430:

Let's demystifying this credit score myth.........

You have two aspects of credit scoring - :

- CREDIT HISTORY
- CREDIT REPORT

Credit reports, is more important than credit history........

Your credit history was 999, but your credit report is 0........

Do a combination of both, but more emphasis on the latter...... šŸ¤£šŸ˜œ

NB: You CANNOT build your CREDIT REPORT, without having credit facilities....... šŸ‘šŸ¤£
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hello house pls recommend.
Honda Jazz or Citroen
I wanna get a small manual car for hustle

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (545) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Goodenoch, buffstical(m), jagbasneh(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.