Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (476086 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
Efftyy:
Hello house pls recommend.
Honda Jazz or Citroen
I wanna get a small manual car for hustle

Honda Jazz (automatic)........ grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2023
profemebee:
lol Master, teach me how to build the Credit report when i can't even get credit facilities... i don tire..

May I introduce you to.......... 🧚πŸ’₯πŸ’’πŸ’«πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

https://www.loqbox.com/en-gb

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
Good stuff. So even though you have the cash to pay off at once, form the habit of spending it through credits and loans just to build your score. For example using my own experience, instead of me using my debit card for regular shopping, I use my credit card and use my balance in my debit card to pay off my credit card. This way, I'm seen as having utilised credit facility and paying it off timely. Here in the youkay, credit and loans are a necessity even if you can afford to pay cash. Currys failed because no record of you having been given a credit or loan before and you paying back.

profemebee:
thanks, i just checked my clearscore and i have 740/1000.. and it says it is Stable..

I don't do loans or debts as i always normally pay off once without any credit, but decided to use the Currys finance as a first-time.. and it failed..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
Egbon ....boya make I share my referral link here? cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Honda Jazz (automatic)........ grin

Honda jazz automatic is more than Β£2k . That why i want to opt for manual since i drive that at work
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Pearlyfaze: 9:16pm On Aug 30, 2023
Elders Good evening. Abeg who FIFE, I wantu ask for some information about the area. Planning on returning to Scotland. A place with close proximity to Edinburgh as I work 2 days a week in Edinburgh.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2023
bigtt76:
Egbon ....boya make I share my referral link here? cheesy cheesy cheesy

If they offer something in return........ πŸ˜œπŸ˜‰
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:20pm On Aug 30, 2023
Yes o ...Β£5 per referral cheesy

Lexusgs430:

If they offer something in return........ πŸ˜œπŸ˜‰
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
If the offer is too good to be true, then, run!

For Facebook market, our strategy was to target private sellers within 10/20 miles radius as against "dealers".

Suffice to say, due diligence is required either when dealing with a private or third-party seller. For instance, we met a dealer who had loads of automatic cars. We test drive like two and we were going to make a deal on one but upon running the plate number, nothing came up on gov.uk. It was suspicious. The seller tried to convince us that the car was registered and listed on gov.uk and we were probably using the wrong link but he was showing us the reg details on his phone.

At that point, we became skeptical as there was no footprint of the car anywhere. Then, I recall reading stories of stolen cars with swapped plate numbers and VIN. It just seemed all dodgy of a deal. We had to let go.

For Autotrader, all the potential ones we saw were far away; 50 - 150 miles away from. We used ClickMechanic for a couple of inspections. The reports and detailed pictures were damning with strong advisory not to purchase. At first, the inspections felt like a waste of money but they usually unveil massive issues that would have been swept under as the cars were looking lovely in picture and description.

The car we eventually bought was from a private seller within our community via Facebook market. We tested the mechanical and electrical bits ourselves and decided it was fit for purpose. Also, your negotiation skills will be handy in closing the deal for your preferred choice.

Hope this helps!

Schoolhike:

How did you filter off those scammers, Lots of prices I’m seeing are not real, too low for the actual car.

Once you message them, the next thing is they will send you an email to contact

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:22pm On Aug 30, 2023
Loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link) kiss kiss

Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mroriginal2022: 11:06pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hello, can anyone share Etoro trading referral code?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mroriginal2022: 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2023
@lexusgs430
Mroriginal2022:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 12:08am On Aug 31, 2023
Quoting to save. 🫢🏾 Seun should do us a bookmark feature. 😩
bigtt76:
Good stuff. So even though you have the cash to pay off at once, form the habit of spending it through credits and loans just to build your score. For example using my own experience, instead of me using my debit card for regular shopping, I use my credit card and use my balance in my debit card to pay off my credit card. This way, I'm seen as having utilised credit facility and paying it off timely. Here in the youkay, credit and loans are a necessity even if you can afford to pay cash. Currys failed because no record of you having been given a credit or loan before and you paying back.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:24am On Aug 31, 2023
Mroriginal2022:

https://etoro.tw/3JMVmSR

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gerrald02: 12:25am On Aug 31, 2023
Any reliable shipping freight company in the Manchester area anyone having used can recommend? Looking to ship about 1 cubic meter of general small household items.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by glauri222: 4:01am On Aug 31, 2023
Estroller:

Check the mortgage thread, there was a discussion along that line few weeks back.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Etsetemi88: 7:41am On Aug 31, 2023
Greetings everyone. I am in the UK, came in with my family last month. I am still undergoing training with the agency that brought me in. My husband has been searching for work since and has not seen any. We live in keighley and can commute to Bradford and Leeds. Any job at all because he is my dependant.
I am also looking for care sponsor too.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 7:56am On Aug 31, 2023
I got a manual about 3 months ago and I have no regrets, mine is a 2005 model with 130,000 mileage, yet everything works perfectly. I do about 15miles a day and i full my tank once a month, this car is very fuel efficient.

NB.
I got an auto gear 2009 Nissan Tiida for the wife about a week ago for Β£1,650, I hope this car serves us well too, you can search for cars with 1.4 to 1.6l engines on Facebook market place near you.

Efftyy:

Honda jazz automatic is more than Β£2k . That why i want to opt for manual since i drive that at work

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 8:41am On Aug 31, 2023
Hello everyone,
I’m in Shrewsbury for work and it’s really boring here. Anyone here I can link up with?

Regards
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:33am On Aug 31, 2023
Wegetju:
I have a question guys.

I'm planning to start my practical driving lessons. I have never driven anything before, no bicycle, or motorcycle. I have been advised to go for automatic instead of manual because it's easier. But I think driving automatic kind of restricts you. I don't know if this is correct.

What would you advise me to do, learn automatic or manual? What are the pros and cons, and what are the things I should consider

Also if anyone has recommendations for a driving school or driving instructor in Middlesbrough, please connect me.

You can get automatic license as it may be easier to pass the test. If necessary, you can always upgrade it later to a manual license, by then, the test would be easier

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:33am On Aug 31, 2023
You didn't state your dependent's qualification or skill-set. Has he tried signing up on Indeed, CV Library and other job sites? An agency brought you in on Skilled Worker Visa and you are looking for care sponsorship? Not clear about this.

Etsetemi88:
Greetings everyone. I am in the UK, came in with my family last month. I am still undergoing training with the agency that brought me in. My husband has been searching for work since and has not seen any. We live in keighley and can commute to Bradford and Leeds. Any job at all because he is my dependant.
I am also looking for care sponsor too.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:33am On Aug 31, 2023
Hmmm this makes sense!

Solumtoya:

You can get automatic license as it may be easier to pass the test. If necessary, you can always upgrade it later to a manual license, by then, the test would be easier
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:35am On Aug 31, 2023
Schoolhike:

How did you filter off those scammers, Lots of prices I’m seeing are not real, too low for the actual car.

Once you message them, the next thing is they will send you an email to contact

So annoying. I block each of them to reduce it on my feed, I don't even bother chatting them up cos from the ad and the seller's profile, you can tell it's a scam. But they are so many!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:37am On Aug 31, 2023
profemebee:
thanks, i just checked my clearscore and i have 740/1000.. and it says it is Stable..

I don't do loans or debts as i always normally pay off once without any credit, but decided to use the Currys finance as a first-time.. and it failed..

Currys finance is not a credit builder debt. Use Experian to check for credit you're eligible for. There might be some low limit, high interest cards. You don't have to pay interest though.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:44am On Aug 31, 2023
Solumtoya:

Currys finance is not a credit builder debt. Use Experian to check for credit you're eligible for. There might be some low limit, high interest cards. You don't have to pay interest though.

What you mean you don’t have to pay interest
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ABDamola(m): 10:51am On Aug 31, 2023
davide470:
You are welcome. I have gotten plenty positive feedbacks, so please share to anyone and everyone.

Kindly look into the activities of enzenwa in the Npower group.
The guy is constituting a nuisance and has defeated the purpose of the trend and the forum at large
He constantly spams the trend also

Kindly do the needful
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:43am On Aug 31, 2023
thanks Master, will read through

Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:44am On Aug 31, 2023
nawa ooo.. we learn everyday, thanks..

bigtt76:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2023
lavida001:

I'd just repost one of my long epistles on Credit Cards below:

Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used Β£2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of Β£6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract.
3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just Β£2k monthly and are given a Β£6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a Β£20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored inyou sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back Β£600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

EDIT: For those who want the AMEX credit card with NO FIXED fees, you can use my referral link below. You get points for British Airways flights and and Holiday bookings. You get 6,000 points while I get 4,000. I have over 100k points which I can use to travel to anywhere in the world for free now:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAgksF?XL=MNMNS

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 12:22pm On Aug 31, 2023
lavida001:

In summary, you don't pay interest on purchases that are repaid within the interest-free period of about 45 to 60 days. The easiest way to avoid the interest is to set a direct debit on your Credit Card app that makes repayment in full every month from your Bank Account.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2023
so as long as i pay back within the stipulated time with the bolded below, then i'm interest free right? thanks

Solumtoya:

Currys finance is not a credit builder debt. Use Experian to check for credit you're eligible for. There might be some[b] low limit, high interest cards[/b]. You don't have to pay interest though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) ... (546) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Bukad(m), eyesaswide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.