Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,703 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (473963 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (545) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Greathand01: 10:35am On Sep 04, 2023
Rules are rules...let's this debate stop biko...let's discuss productive ideas..
Please how safe is revolut account for heavy transactions.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:48am On Sep 04, 2023
nineville:

Be rest assured you will get your PSW. Meanwhile, try & don't let it exceed the earlier 2.

HO has spoken

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by forkinsonlolo(m): 11:19am On Sep 04, 2023
yall are right, Issues like workhours shouldnt be discussed in public forum. this page can easily be searched from anybody on google. rules are rules and should remain so and encouraged. UK has been a life changing experience for most of us, one of the way to pay back is to become a law abiding citizen. dont do more than 20hr per week work as a student. perioopd

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 11:20am On Sep 04, 2023
Somebody used my Octopus referral link. Whoever you are, Thank You. £50 credit is not a small thing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 11:34am On Sep 04, 2023
justwise:

HO has spoken

Ah swear. 😂 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 12:03pm On Sep 04, 2023
justwise:

HO has spoken

That is ehn....i burst out laughing at that response grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IcecoldDon: 12:41pm On Sep 04, 2023
Hello House, I have a 7 year old son I am really interested in getting to start coding/programming classes for kids. I would prefer a hybrid approach of both in person and online classes as I feel interacting with other kids might also add to the fun and generate more interest. I live in Birmingham, but unfortunately, most of the options I have found through google are just purely online.

Since the options I have found are so numerous and similar, I would really appreciate any recommendations that can be given that can narrow my choice and give him the best experience. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 2:00pm On Sep 04, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Hello House, I have a 7 year old son I am really interested in getting to start coding/programming classes for kids. I would prefer a hybrid approach of both in person and online classes as I feel interacting with other kids might also add to the fun and generate more interest. I live in Birmingham, but unfortunately, most of the options I have found through google are just purely online.

Since the options I have found are so numerous and similar, I would really appreciate any recommendations that can be given that can narrow my choice and give him the best experience. Thanks a lot.

≈========≈===≈========================
Not sure if you got any response to this but my son has been doing a face to face session with Code Ninja's since he was 8 (now almost 11). He has been learning to code in a fun way starting with scratch, a bit of python, sql and now java script. I would suggest checking if you have any code ninja hub near you - they are really good. I know because I code too and I always check on what they teach him.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2023
justwise:

HO has spoken
That false confidence is what will put a lot of people in trouble.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2023
lightnlife:
With 50% pass rate across the UK, I bet the conversations about driving aren't needless. If it's pretty straightforward, the pass rate would reflect same.

Look around; YouTube, Reddit, Facebook, X, there are loads of content and convo on driving generating massive reactions.

It even more important for migrants to have these convo as most have been used to a different driving terrain/rules back home.

The conversations on driving are important. Only thing is that they're repetitive. The format for the exam has changed little in a while. A single sticky post could serve most querries for years to come.

One thing I aimed to address is the perception around the test.

When I initially came to the UK, I stumbled upon 2 Indians who unintentionally spoke about the test. Person A used it as an example to explain how many things in the UK have clear guidance. He said it was straightforward. What you're asked to do is exactly what your tutor has done with you previously and on same routes you've driven before. No one was trying to set traps. All they needed was to prove you are a safe driver.
Second person used the test to evidence how everything in the UK is complex, how he never needed a test to drive for years, how he had failed multiple times and didn't know why e.t.c.

To me, there was a clear reason why one passed on the first attempt and the other stuck in a quagmire. I have seen same trend with many exams in this country. There's hardly ever a catch. Perception and preparation are usually what is needed.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2023
lightnlife:

Same applies to Credit Cards. Financial intelligence isn't a generic life skill. You need knowledge. Moreso, for immigrants who haven't been exposed to credit facilities in all his/her 30+ years before moving here, but knows credit could either make or mar his/her life, I bet they'll go all out for more insight on it.

People are at different stages of life and that would reflect in their understanding and knowledge quest.

Won't be surprised if someone still comes around to ask either of these questions in the next 2 days. Perhaps, doing some back reading on the issues might help them.

Same thing with financial intelligence. Most immigrants coming in their 30's are significantly financially disadvantaged. This is not by a credit card balance but by means of their pension accruals, mortgage, career prospects, living conditions, school accessibility, social mobility, settlement tax e.t.c. All these show up in levels of differential attainments we subsequently see among certain groups.

The first major financial commitment for most are mortgages. A high credit card limit can sometimes be detrimental to a mortgage application. When banks are considering if to lend someone 200k, their focus is usually income, current and potential outgoings, previous adverse credit report, visa type.. They are hardly ever bothered about the 'credit score' many of us are keen on.

The second thing about pursuing a high credit limit is that except its on a zero interest card, the whole idea of working towards getting that sum is not to use it.. kinda odd.

Credit cards might be a good spot to start the discussion but it just the basics. Someone here mentioned reddit UK finance page. Its a fantastic resource to start with.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:19pm On Sep 04, 2023
kode12:

That false confidence is what will put a lot of people in trouble.

Maybe that ID know what we don't know

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SolomonGrundy: 4:23pm On Sep 04, 2023
Regex:

You no see how I ask am small question of why he is asking such question, him come deh implicate en friends weh him know. If to say I deh work for Home Office, those guys for don collect. Instead oga go talk en own, en don deh talk other people own. I deh wait to read for news say them don ban Nigerians from coming to UK. At least I'm happy with the recent clamp down on cos sellers. Make Nigerians rest, make we weh deh here rest too.
Nigerians cap too much naim be their problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2023
Lilipo:

Not sure if you got any response to this but my son has been doing a face to face session with Code Ninja's since he was 8 (now almost 11). He has been learning to code in a fun way starting with scratch, a bit of python, sql and now java script. I would suggest checking if you have any code ninja hub near you - they are really good. I know because I code too and I always check on what they teach him.

Was about to mention them cos I see them around Enfield town.. Seems they aren't in Birmingham area though

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jokuns1: 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2023
Solumtoya:

I'd just repost one of my long epistles on Credit Cards below:

Credit Cards (CCs) are one of the best Credit Tools you can have but yes, like every good thing, it does have its dangers.

Most folks here are trying to build Credit Score and to be very honest, CCs are the easiest way to do so. There are so many other ways, of course, and you should do them: Registering in the Electoral Register, Setting up Direct Debits for Utility Bills, Phone/SIM Contracts, etc but from experience since these are not Credit facilities, they may not boost your score as much as a CC.

The rules of CC usage are simple: ensure you pay at least the minimum balance (usually 10% of your usage as at the statement date). So if your cycle is 1st to 30th of every month, on the 30th, you get a statement saying you have used £2,000 and you are given a grace period (typically extra 14 to 23 days) to pay back 10% or more, and whatever balance is unpaid, interest will be charged to the card after the grace period. During this grace period, the next cycle has obviously started running. And the next month balance will sum of what you spent in the month, plus the unpaid balance from the previous month and the interest added. IF YOU DON'T PAY THIS MINIMUM, YOU HAVE DEFAULTED.

Now, the main reasons why CCs are a brilliant facility are evident:
1. Their Interest-free periods means you can use them without ever paying interests: to do this, you must pay everything in full as the interest only starts counting on the unpaid balance after the grace period. An exception is usually Cash Withdrawals, Interest on Cash Withdrawals start counting immediately. Another evil trick of Cash Withdrawal is usually that their interest is higher. There's another evil of Cash Withdrawals but it might be a little technical to explain in this post. Just avoid Cash Withdrawals if you don't want interest
2. CCs are revolving, meaning they are like Overdrafts, not Term Loans, so if I have a limit of £6k, when I spend it and repay, my full limit is re-instated, so I don’t need to re-apply (ever) unless I void the contract.
3. Rewards: Most CCs earn you Miles, Points, etc for usage and referrals.
4. Fees: Many CCs come with little or no extra fees to the Cardholder. I could go on and on.

So, pretty much, you can use your Debit Card for only Cash Withdrawal and use Cash for non-Card payments, while you use your CC for everything else and pay little or no interest while building your credit score.

Now, as beautiful as it sounds, in my 7 years as a Credit Card Product Manager, I have seen so many people wallow in heavy credit card debts. The truth is most humans are not just disciplined enough to handle such an allowance of funds. They deep their hands into it at the slightest opportunity and end up living above their means. CCs are very addictive so don't get a CC if you love to spend, the CC provider would love you and keep increasing your limit and you may land in a gloomy state: you earn just £2k monthly and are given a £6k CC, as you spend and spend, they keep increasing the limit and before you know it, you have a £20k CC fully spent on that Funeral you sponsored inyou sponsored in Oshogbo and that trip to Turkey. How will you pay You break the card and start paying back £600 monthly, but that covers only the interest and the amount is NOT reducing every month. You realize you are stuck and have fallen for our trap and that is how we make our interest income and cover for those who are using the card wisely.

I'm sorry this post was really long, I even had to cut this short because I could go on and on about the benefits of CC (purchase protection, chargeback, acceptance, etc), the financially wise know this and hardly ever use Debit Cards but enjoy the benefits of a CC. The financially foolish use CCs to have fun for a few years or months and spend the rest of their lives as slaves to it. The choice is yours!

EDIT: For those who want the AMEX credit card with NO FIXED fees, you can use my referral link below. You get points for British Airways flights and and Holiday bookings. You get 6,000 points while I get 4,000. I have over 100k points which I can use to travel to anywhere in the world for free now:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/jEDIDAgksF?XL=MNMNS

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2023
How does your school or Home Office know that you have finished your dissertation? grin

Strata1716:
Hmmm on this 20 hours topic, what happens to someone who finished writing their dissertation 3 months before the submission deadline but didn’t submit so they started working more than 20 hours since they were done with their school work.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2023
forkinsonlolo:

Alright, thanks alot.
To the people already on Post Study Visa, did you do more than 20 working hours while studying or not? If so, how many did you do through your study time? alot in my set are doing more than 20hrs work per week at present and i hope it wont affect them. i cant blame them because most of them had to fend for themselves
Don't do it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by amanze54: 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2023
Ihi my people

My mom in-law is here and intend her to go on the 6th month before her visa expires.

Does staying that full length denies her the opportunity to reapply again?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 5:36pm On Sep 04, 2023
This person in the screenshot, apparently overworked before being issued with Leave to Remain which was to expire in 3 years time. Crazy times. I hope they are lienent to those who breached by just an hr or two on one or two occassions undecided

donshaddow:

Don't do it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2023
justwise:

Maybe that ID know what we don't know
😁😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 6:23pm On Sep 04, 2023
Hello,
If you are in need of NHS job.....kindly see the date that they are doing job fair near you👇
Find upcoming NHS Job Fairs near you.

Birmingham - 04/10/23 @ Villa Park

Bolton - 29/09/23 @ Toughsheet Community Stadium

Bournemouth - 01/09/23 @ Vitality Stadium

Brighton & Hove - 06/09/23 @ Amex Stadium

Bristol - 25/08/23, 13/10/23 @ Ashton Gate Stadium

Cambridge - 06/10/23 @ Cambridge Guildhall

Cardiff - 08/09/23 @ Cardiff City Hall

Cheltenham & Gloucester - 03/11/23 @ Cheltenham Racecourse

Colchester - 13/09/23 @ Charter Hall

Coventry - 10/11/23 @ Coventry Building Society Arena

Crawley - 13/09/23 @ K2 Crawley

Derby - 06/09/23, 29/11/23 @ Pride Park Stadium

Edinburgh - 24/11/23 @ Tynecastle Park Stadium

Exeter - 27/09/23 @ Sandy Park

Gillingham - 22/11/23 @ Priestfield Stadium

Glasgow - 14/09/23 @ Hampden Park

Gloucester & Cheltenham - 06/09/23 @ Kingsholm Stadium

Great Yarmouth - 25/10/23 @ Great Yarmouth Town Hall

Ipswich - 20/09/23 @ Ipswich Corn Exchange

Leeds - 06/10/23 @ Headingley Stadium

Leicester - 11/10/23 @ Mattioli Woods Welford Road Stadium

London Croydon - 29/11/23 @ Selhurst Park Stadium

London Oval - 30/08/23 @ Kia Oval

London Twickenham - 01/11/23 @ Twickenham Stadium

Luton - 17/11/23 @ Venue 360

Manchester - 13/10/23 @ Old Trafford Stadium

Middlesbrough - 23/08/23 @ Riverside Stadium

Milton Keynes - 03/11/23 @ DoubleTree by Hilton (Stadium MK)

Newcastle - 08/11/23 @ St James Park

Northampton - 04/10/23 @ Cinch Stadium (Franklins Gardens)

Norwich - 06/10/23 @ The Forum

Nottingham - 18/10/23 @ Motorpoint Arena

Oxford - 18/10/23 @ Oxford Town Hall

Peterborough - 08/11/23 @ Weston Homes Stadium

Plymouth - 15/09/23 @ Home Park Stadium

Portsmouth - 01/11/23 @ Fratton Park Stadium

Preston - 25/08/23 @ Deepdale Stadium

Reading - 20/10/23 @ Reading Town Hall

Sheffield - 10/11/23 @ Bramall Lane Stadium

Southampton - 24/11/23 @ St Mary's Stadium

Southend-on-Sea - 08/09/23 @ Park Inn by Radisson Palace

Stoke on Trent - 22/09/23 @ Bet365 Stadium

Swansea - 27/10/23 @ Swansea.com Stadium

Swindon - 15/11/23 @ County Ground Stadium

Telford & Shrewsbury - 15/11/23 @ Mercure Telford Centre Hotel

West Brom - 17/11/23 @ The Hawthorns Stadium

Wolverhampton - 25/10/23 @ Molineux Stadium

Worcester - 18/08/23 @ Sixways Stadium

Copied and posted as seen

I don't know anything about it and may be unable to answer your questions wink

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 7:06pm On Sep 04, 2023
bigtt76:
This person in the screenshot, apparently overworked before being issued with Leave to Remain which was to expire in 3 years time. Crazy times. I hope they are lienent to those who breached by just an hr or two on one or two occassions undecided

Crazy times awaits us all. Init!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:06pm On Sep 04, 2023
Na so ooo smiley

donshaddow:

Crazy times awaits us all. Init!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 7:07pm On Sep 04, 2023
bigtt76:
Na so ooo smiley

I've cancelled all my agency shifts like dis like dis until I change sponsor.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IcecoldDon: 7:39pm On Sep 04, 2023
Thanks a lot for this response. I will look them up. Did you have to get a laptop for your boy? Mine just has a samsung tablet and I don't lknow if that works

Lilipo:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 04, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Thanks a lot for this response. I will look them up. Did you have to get a laptop for your boy? Mine just has a samsung tablet and I don't lknow if that works

Get a laptop. Even if it's a cheap one off eBay, it'll work for the basic coding he'd be doing, and be way better than a tablet.

There are tablet apps for coding but most are just gimmicks. Best to start him on the right foot.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BeckyB1(f): 8:21pm On Sep 04, 2023
Please give me contact to one of the Agency if location is London. I need 20 hours shift. Thank you.

donshaddow:

I've cancelled all my agency shifts like dis like dis until I change sponsor.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 8:23pm On Sep 04, 2023
BeckyB1:
Please give me contact to one of the Agency if location is London. I need 20 hours shift. Thank you.

I used CV library and got more than enough.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 11:17pm On Sep 04, 2023
Evening everyone.

Please is there anyone coming from Nigeria this month or early next month? I'd appreciate if you can help me buy and bring Ankara from Nigeria. I'll pay for all logistics.

Kindly mention me if you can help with this.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:30pm On Sep 04, 2023
amanze54:
Ihi my people

My mom in-law is here and intend her to go on the 6th month before her visa expires.

Does staying that full length denies her the opportunity to reapply again?

Usually she would have been given 6 months to stay from the day she enter(check this on her passport). The idea is not to let it get to 6 months. She leave around 5 months.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Pegzzyg(f): 11:52pm On Sep 04, 2023
There’s always crowd there & I hope you don’t have any NIMC issue like change of surname etc cause that’s how my Passport tracking status has been showing in Production for over 2 months now yet I did Biometrics since first week in February!

AntiMCU:
Has anyone been to Nigerian house London recently to renew international passport?

I intend to go on Wednesday. What do I expect? iD

Hear say the crowd mad die. embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 6:45am On Sep 05, 2023
BeckyB1:

I do receive calls everyday from agency on CV library asking if I'm still available.
Just package ur CV very well or I can give u mine to edit.
Send email to me through the profile on nairaland.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (545) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: ReesheesuKnack, alstarmayo(m), Kenn55, lksteadprints(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.