Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,898 members, 7,828,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (484539 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 6:54pm On Sep 05, 2023
Goddys:

This is not true. PSW takes average of 6 weeks decision time. Haven't heard of anyone who applied and got decision in a week not to talk of 24 hrs
Just a general advice to you. If you have not experienced something, especially things that are not out of the ordinary, please be slow to conclude that it is not true.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Pearlyfaze: 7:18pm On Sep 05, 2023
EPEAKS:
My husband will be Schooling in University of Edinburgh. Can we get a house in Dunfermline for the family. Will this work?

100%. It will work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 10:17pm On Sep 05, 2023
Perfect.

Please what's the best way to reach you? If you can, please share a contact number or address. Thanks

bittertongue:
am coming this month and my wife sells Ankara
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:19pm On Sep 05, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Hi, I just checked and confirmed they are not in Birmingham or even close. Is there any like them that you can recommend please?

Nope, I know only them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:21pm On Sep 05, 2023
jum33:
Hello House ,i need recommendation for a good Bootcamp for AWS cloud courses that has been tried ,tested and trusted in UK (first hand experience )

Try Udemy, don't waste £4K wink

Stéphane Maarek
Joe Bonso
Adrian Cantrill
Pytholic on YouTube
AWS free resources on YouTube

wink

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hamof: 11:00pm On Sep 05, 2023
donshaddow:

I do receive calls everyday from agency on CV library asking if I'm still available.
Just package ur CV very well or I can give u mine to edit.
Send email to me through the profile on nairaland.

Please I wouldn’t mind if you can share with me as well as I will be in the Uk soonest. Ahmedonia4real@yahoo.com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:46pm On Sep 05, 2023
Goddys:

This is not true. PSW takes average of 6 weeks decision time. Haven't heard of anyone who applied and got decision in a week not to talk of 24 hrs

People have gotten in 24hrs, if you haven't heard doesn't mean its not true.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:57pm On Sep 05, 2023
hustla:

Stéphane Maarek
Joe Bonso
Adrian Cantrill
Pytholic on YouTube

wink

Although this depends totally on individual circumstances, watching lots of tutorials from the likes of YouTube, Udemy etc doesn’t work for everyone, although you’d likely learn the required skills, but most doesn’t provide that mentorship needed. I spent that over 1 year trying to self learn by watching different tutorials on all tools used in data analysis, I don’t actually know what to learn and to what extent to learn it up to, sometime, I will read article on twitter or LinkedIn about a new software tool to use for analysis, I will quickly jump to go and learn it, to a point where I’m learning so many tools without much direction and funny that the tutorial videos of all are available to keep you leaning.

I learnt SQL, python, excel including macro, mmsql, mssrs, power bi, tableau, aws, azure, snowflake, git, etc without a direction and all are used by data analyst but different from one organization to another for there use case.

It was until when I joined a mentorship program where industry expert started guiding me on what to learn and not to learn, then I remained focus, 3 months after I got my first job and that’s history now.

So basically I’d advice people to look for someone to mentor them to provide tailored advice or guidance.

Most self learn videos are just to learn the skill, and if Simone is not careful you will just be learning all those big tools and new technologies without learning the basics, which most organizations are still using.

Met someone few weeks ago, was applying to data analysis job without know the basics like pivot table, using formulas in excel, which are basics or elementary in data analysis. Can’t even use filter properly, but was quick to mention that he can use ssrs, advanced sql functions (like functions, triggers, cte, etc) .

Someone can go on LinkedIn, search for people already working in that field you are interested in, you might likely find someone willing to provide guidance.

Although, I paid for mine anyway.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:52am On Sep 06, 2023
elengine:
[Tell your husband to pay for a day bus ticket and check through those companies from BD17 where you are to bd19 areas, to Halifax and Leeds and brighouse. There are lots of companies in that axis with sign post outside looking for warehouse staff. Also there are lot of care jobs in bradford if your hubby can get a car. For professional job, he needs to keep applying but he should start doing something to bring money home for bills because that your employer no get job for you oh. And bills must be paid.

Thanks, this comment fits us right too. The CoS sponsor said no shift and my wife has been applying for the past 3 weeks since we came, but once the companies hear she's on sponsorship and can only do 20 hours, they say sorry 😞. We staying at Rotherham, please we need help o. I've been applying to warehouses and it's coming up, had three interviews already but I am seriously concerned about our 2 years work visa status...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 4:10am On Sep 06, 2023
Blurpy:
Has anyone travelled out of UK as a student during term-time with no issues. I am looking to take one month for my dads burial but school is saying they can give me only two weeks. I am on my dissertation which doesnt require physical attendance in school.

Going against your school won’t be the best decision. I will advise you try to plan yourself for two weeks. I know it might be tight. You can try to plea for 3 weeks pointing reasons to your school. If they still stand on being able to offer 2 weeks then stick to just 2 weeks.

Your continuous stay in the UK at the moment is dependent on your school and home office for extended stay. Please only do what they approve.

Also, Remember point of entry can be tougher than the HO scrutiny. Point of entry is the last place you want to have any long explanations / conversations.

Condolences on your loss.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cassan(f): 4:20am On Sep 06, 2023
Good morning house. I have been reading up on credit scores and how to build them. Mine is currently 723 on Experian and I have been here for a year. Never took interest until now (terrible mistake). I want to take a credit card but I am only eligible for a £1,000 Zilch Virtual Mastercard at 29.99ARP.
I am very financially disciplined but would like to know the pros and cons of taking this card please.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by headofschool: 4:48am On Sep 06, 2023
I want am...is it work from home?
hustla:
If you are looking for a job, I think EE customer service allows students part time 20 hrs

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Atk1nson(m): 6:49am On Sep 06, 2023
abuhusna1:

I wish this can be pinned for doubting Thomases

Looking at this, it looks like the person had 12-hour shifts.

Taking 1 shift a week would mean leaving 8 hours of money on the table.

Taking 2, would mean exceeding the limit by 4 hours.

I feel sorry for him/her a bit.

The ones exceeding 24hrs are inexcusable .

Hiring a lawyer would probably cost him more than he made from overshooting the limit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 6:58am On Sep 06, 2023
Cassan:
Good morning house. I have been reading up on credit scores and how to build them. Mine is currently 723 on Experian and I have been here for a year. Never took interest until now (terrible mistake). I want to take a credit card but I am only eligible for a £1,000 Zilch Virtual Mastercard at 29.99ARP.
I am very financially disciplined but would like to know the pros and cons of taking this card please.
Thank you.

No problem with the card....just pay back via direct debits any amount you use each month. I use less than 20% of my credits monthly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cassan(f): 7:44am On Sep 06, 2023
ukay2:

No problem with the card....just pay back via direct debits any amount you use each month. I use less than 20% of my credits monthly.

Thank you very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by 27autumn: 8:42am On Sep 06, 2023
Good morning
My spouse's student visa is expiring in 2 weeks and we applied for him to switch to be a dependant on my student visa yesterday.
How many days does it take for the visa to be approved? We didn't see any where to pay for priority when applying.
What happens if his visa expires before the new one is out? Can he still stay without working until he gets it?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 8:42am On Sep 06, 2023
jedisco:
------

To me, there was a clear reason why one passed on the first attempt and the other stuck in a quagmire. I have seen same trend with many exams in this country. There's hardly ever a catch. Perception and preparation are usually what is needed.

Is it safe to add luck as another factor?

Your observations on perception and preparation are insightful, but I wonder if we could also factor in an element of luck or chance?

For instance, consider two drivers taking their practical test: Driver A has a smooth experience with no unpredictable obstacles, while Driver B, despite being equally prepared and diligent, encounters a reckless driver that complicates their test outcome.

Such unforeseen circumstances can often sway outcomes, even if one is adequately prepared. It's reminiscent of many other facets of life where, despite our best efforts and positive mindset, external variables play an unforeseen role in our experiences.

May we always be favored by luck and may the odds be in our favor in all our endeavors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 8:47am On Sep 06, 2023
justwise:

HO has spoken

lol, grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 9:06am On Sep 06, 2023
Cassan:
Thank you.

===================================
Getting the right credit card can be tricky. I would suggest that you look for a credit card that has interest free purchases for a few months, even if its 3 months. You pay back what you spend. After 3 months, for example (and that is if the promotion is for 3 months), you stop using the card, after paying back in full and leave it for another 3 months, totalling 6 months. Cancel the card and try again for another card with interest free purchases. This way you don't pay the interest. You have to be smart with money!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 9:12am On Sep 06, 2023
Don’t worry since you have a pending applications. She can work pending the time you get the approval email
27autumn:
Good morning
My spouse's student visa is expiring in 2 weeks and we applied for him to switch to be a dependant on my student visa yesterday.
How many days does it take for the visa to be approved? We didn't see any where to pay for priority when applying.
What happens if his visa expires before the new one is out? Can he still stay without working until he gets it?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 10:47am On Sep 06, 2023
hustla:

Stéphane Maarek
Joe Bonso
Adrian Cantrill
Pytholic on YouTube

wink
Thanks for your input, self- paced learning training is part of the process too but i guess most Uk IT employer dont give jobs based on certification alone they are more interested in your UK work real life experience and projects ,job references ,recommendations and connections which i feel is what a potential applicant can easily get from Bootcamps . Personally i feel that one can start with the udemy training but will still need to complement with bootcamps to build networks for jobs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 10:56am On Sep 06, 2023
27autumn:
Good morning
Is your spouse not eligible for PSW if not SWV?
What are they switching from student visa to student dependent? That sounds like a waste of funds in the long term if you’re going to switch visas again once your program concludes.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 11:07am On Sep 06, 2023
Schoolhike:

Although this depends totally on individual circumstances, watching lots of tutorials from the likes of YouTube, Udemy etc doesn’t work for everyone, although you’d likely learn the required skills, but most doesn’t provide that mentorship needed. I spent that over 1 year trying to self learn by watching different tutorials on all tools used in data analysis, I don’t actually know what to learn and to what extent to learn it up to, sometime, I will read article on twitter or LinkedIn about a new software tool to use for analysis, I will quickly jump to go and learn it, to a point where I’m learning so many tools without much direction and funny that the tutorial videos of all are available to keep you leaning.

I learnt SQL, python, excel including macro, mmsql, mssrs, power bi, tableau, aws, azure, snowflake, git, etc without a direction and all are used by data analyst but different from one organization to another for there use case.

It was until when I joined a mentorship program where industry expert started guiding me on what to learn and not to learn, then I remained focus, 3 months after I got my first job and that’s history now.

So basically I’d advice people to look for someone to mentor them to provide tailored advice or guidance.

Most self learn videos are just to learn the skill, and if Simone is not careful you will just be learning all those big tools and new technologies without learning the basics, which most organizations are still using.

Met someone few weeks ago, was applying to data analysis job without know the basics like pivot table, using formulas in excel, which are basics or elementary in data analysis. Can’t even use filter properly, but was quick to mention that he can use ssrs, advanced sql functions (like functions, triggers, cte, etc) .

Someone can go on LinkedIn, search for people already working in that field you are interested in, you might likely find someone willing to provide guidance.

very Insightful piece ,kindly share your mentorship programme contact
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 12:29pm On Sep 06, 2023
I will never ever tell these drivers “thank you” again. Bus that’s scheduled for 12:17, 12:15 e drive Dey pass. And I Dey see am.

Make everybody Dey dia own. Na now I understand why some people no Dey even look their face sef

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 12:40pm On Sep 06, 2023
Just got an email from one of the agencies.
I am not picking the job cos of the 20 hours restriction.
Kindly get in touch if you're interested.

Hello, Richard,

I hope this email finds you well.

I have tried to contact regarding your application for a SEN Teaching Assistant.

Please email me with a reply or contact me directly if you are still looking for work in this field.

Our clients are looking for candidates that can commit to Monday- Friday on a long-term basis to start immediately and for the coming academic year of September 2023 with a competitive pay rate.

If you are interested or know of anyone who maybe looking for work in this field , please forward them my email address. Or provide me with a contact number and I will be more than happy to contact them.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Samira

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kasillars(m): 1:07pm On Sep 06, 2023
Hi, is there anyway you can link me up with your mentor or any mentor because I sincerely need one to guide me.
Thanks

Schoolhike:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:29pm On Sep 06, 2023
headofschool:
I want am...is it work from home?

For some, Yes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:31pm On Sep 06, 2023
Schoolhike:

What you have written is for Data Analysis, his requirement is for Cloud and everything he needs is on Udemy / YT and a little bit of googling

Anyways, cloud isn't something to just jump into cos it's the in thing, you have to know what you want out of if and where you're going to

This is where taking fundamentals of the courses starts from. You can do this on YouTube for free to find the area you'd like and then go for itr instead of merry go rounding

I do have a little bit of experience though so maybe it helped my transition. If he likes the Bootcamp way, by all means, I'm just talking from the intial money saving perspective so he isn't disappointed as all the OGs I met started from YouTube and then Udemy

All ze best
smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lilipo: 2:55pm On Sep 06, 2023
IcecoldDon:
Mine isn't keen about the online as well, but I don't mind having a look at any details you can send across. What is the name of the F2F that your son is on now? Is there a similar one in Birmingham?

=====================================
My son does Code Ninja's face to face lessons. Here is the link to the online one I tried https://www.thecodezone.co.uk/

I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2023
Quoting to save.
Lilipo:

===================================
Getting the right credit card can be tricky. I would suggest that you look for a credit card that has interest free purchases for a few months, even if its 3 months. You pay back what you spend. After 3 months, for example (and that is if the promotion is for 3 months), you stop using the card, after paying back in full and leave it for another 3 months, totalling 6 months. Cancel the card and try again for another card with interest free purchases. This way you don't pay the interest. You have to be smart with money!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by headofschool: 5:57pm On Sep 06, 2023
Can I DM you
hustla:

For some, Yes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:03pm On Sep 06, 2023
headofschool:
Can I DM you

Not sure there's any other info i can provide

Just said it based on what I observed on Linkedin

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: igbsam(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.