Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (196) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463938 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CotenantNIG: 11:15pm On Sep 18, 2023
hello guys how can i get a cheap car insurance in the uk
its either am rejected or its too expensive
I have an international license

My Job requires I have a car and a drivers license
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 11:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
Which insurers are rejecting you and on what basis?

How long were you driving before moving to the UK and how long have you been in the UK?

What's the average quote you've received? And what's "cheap" to you?

You might be getting high rates based on your age, employment and family status, location and other risk factors.

By the way, I don't understand what you mean by international license. Your regular Naija license can be used for the first year of your residence.

If you've not already done that, you can use the quote aggregators below to get multiple offers;

https://www.comparethemarket.com/

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/

https://www.confused.com/

CotenantNIG:
hello guys how can i get a cheap car insurance in the uk
its either am rejected or its too expensive
I have an international license

My Job requires I have a car and a drivers license

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by marylandcakes: 3:01am On Sep 19, 2023
rinzylee:

At least I have never been told to take my life by way of suicide sincerely I started attending Church.

I am not a religious person ...Christianity for me is a relationship.

Back to the matter......there is safety in godly counsel.

Nna I don tire...make una leave me alone

Have you heard and watched the film “ Guyana’s Tragedy” ? it happened in real life.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by marylandcakes: 3:46am On Sep 19, 2023
Adebayo82:

No, I did not pay dart crossing charge, I'm not aware of this. My car is petrol not diesel.

I may likely travel again to London where can I initiate the dart crossing charge. Is it paying online or you can equally share the link with me.

Next time you need to drive into London , set your sat nav to avoid toll charges.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 6:58am On Sep 19, 2023
marylandcakes:

Have you heard and watched the film “ Guyana’s Tragedy” ? it happened in real life.
It is a real thing. Mass murder in the name of religion
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 7:14am On Sep 19, 2023
marylandcakes:

Next time you need to drive into London , set your sat nav to avoid toll charges.
They should also set up a dartcrossing account and fund it that way they’ll automatically charge them whenever they go over the bridge. … if they live within dartford or Thurrock councils they can register their vehicles and pay an annual fee for £20 and have unlimited use of the bridge.
https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:30am On Sep 19, 2023
Blazingdiamondz:
Hi guys, I have been working as a carer since I came to UK and I earn £25k annually. However, I got a job as a food safety admin/quality officer in a company but the pay is just £20k annually. What do you guys think? Should I take the offer? What's the prospect in the field here in the UK? I need your advice. Thanks.

This is a personal decision, there is no right or wrong answers. It just depends on what you want. If you need sponsorship or money urgently, for instance, stick to the care role.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blazingdiamondz: 7:39am On Sep 19, 2023
Solumtoya:

This is a personal decision, there is no right or wrong answers. It just depends on what you want. If you need sponsorship or money urgently, for instance, stick to the care role.

I am on a dependent Visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zisyme: 8:24am On Sep 19, 2023
Please any hair braider living in Hertfordshire, particularly close to Ware should please contact me with prices. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 8:55am On Sep 19, 2023
It's been interesting reading the comments on pension and the general economic outlook of the UK in the short, medium and long term. Personally I feel it's important understanding the true economic status of the UK since that's where we live at the moment.

My question, could this seemingly gloomy economic outlook be the reason why many migrants are looking at leaving the UK to Ireland, Australia, Canada?? This has been a burning question to me. I'm on a CoS in the UK, and don't intend leaving to the aforementioned countries even if I get the opportunity... But again, is this my thinking right at all??

I'll appreciate informed responses/comments as always.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:14am On Sep 19, 2023
Blazingdiamondz:
Hi guys, I have been working as a carer since I came to UK and I earn £25k annually. However, I got a job as a food safety admin/quality officer in a company but the pay is[b] just £20k annually[/b]. What do you guys think? Should I take the offer? What's the prospect in the field here in the UK? I need your advice. Thanks.

Any other benefits to that job apart from the 20K annually?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blazingdiamondz: 9:49am On Sep 19, 2023
justwise:

Any other benefits to that job apart from the 20K annually?

None, just the experience to enable me apply for more experienced positions and better pay
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:20am On Sep 19, 2023
ehizario2012:
It's been interesting reading the comments on pension and the general economic outlook of the UK in the short, medium and long term. Personally I feel it's important understanding the true economic status of the UK since that's where we live at the moment.

My question, could this seemingly gloomy economic outlook be the reason why many migrants are looking at leaving the UK to Ireland, Australia, Canada?? This has been a burning question to me. I'm on a CoS in the UK, and don't intend leaving to the aforementioned countries even if I get the opportunity... But again, is this my thinking right at all??

I'll appreciate informed responses/comments as always.

Many migrants seem to be on an eternal search for an earthly utopia with ultra high paid jobs,ultra low taxes, free quality healthcare (with zero waiting lists), cheap insurance and housing, sublime weather, high levels of immigration but tolerant natives and government, a country that "works" but where they can also do as they please....

I digress 😂

Anyways, have you paid attention to the news coming out of Canada and Australia? The biting cost of living and serious problems with scarce and unaffordable housing? The pressures on their public services? For example, I read the other day that some Canadians are opting to go abroad e.g. to India to get MRIs and other scans done, instead of waiting over 1 year for the same tests in Canada.

Point is, many of the economic issues being faced in the UK are also being replicated in pretty much all major Western countries, and are far worse in the migrants' home countries, so they might need to relocate to another planet to find a land they don't consider "gloomy".

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:29am On Sep 19, 2023
Blazingdiamondz:

None, just the experience to enable me apply for more experienced positions and better pay

20K a year is too small, stay in your current job while you search for one that pays better with benefits. That is my personal opinion.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 10:58am On Sep 19, 2023
Zahra29:

Many migrants seem to be on an eternal search for an earthly utopia with ultra high paid jobs,ultra low taxes, free quality healthcare (with zero waiting lists), cheap insurance and housing, sublime weather, high levels of immigration but tolerant natives and government, a country that "works" but where they can also do as they please....

I digress 😂

😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blazingdiamondz: 11:04am On Sep 19, 2023
justwise:

20K a year is till small, stay in your current job while you search for one that pays better with benefits. That is my personal opinion.

Thanks for the advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2023
Blazingdiamondz:

You have seen it all in the other job. You have also gained experience needed if you chose to go back to that industry.

Go to this one and experience it yourself. In the end, you’ll know where’s best for you, and where you are going
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 11:47am On Sep 19, 2023
Is salary negotiation not allowed in NHS? I don't understand why HRs would want to see previous payslips and insist on starting you on the lower scale of Band salary. Someone should please make me understand this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blazingdiamondz: 11:55am On Sep 19, 2023
gmacnoms:
You have seen it all in the other job. You have also gained experience needed if you chose to go back to that industry.

Go to this one and experience it yourself. In the end, you’ll know where’s best for you, and where you are going

Hmmm. 🤔 Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:12pm On Sep 19, 2023
Zahra29:

I digress 😂

Anyways, have you paid attention to the news coming out of Canada and Australia? The biting cost of living and serious problems with scarce and unaffordable housing? The pressures on their public services? For example, I read the other day that some Canadians are opting to go abroad e.g. to India to get MRIs and other scans done, instead of waiting over 1 year for the same tests in Canada.

Point is, many of the economic issues being faced in the UK are also being replicated in pretty much all major Western countries, and are far worse in the migrants' home countries, so they might need to relocate to another planet to find a land they don't consider "gloomy".

Are you advising them to remain in Bongo-Bongo land.,......... Or just take it like dat ........🤣😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2023
Blazingdiamondz:

You should do the £20k job for experience and since you have experience in the care industry..continue to do that one as well part time (evenings or weekends) to top up your salary.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2023
Work experience most times is the reason. At other times, when one is coming into the system newly, you are started off on the lower compared to if you are already an NHS staff for example and you are moving across to the new role you will be started on the higher scale.

babajeje123:
Is salary negotiation not allowed in NHS? I don't understand why HRs would want to see previous payslips and insist on starting you on the lower scale of Band salary. Someone should please make me understand this

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blazingdiamondz: 1:55pm On Sep 19, 2023
Gemma11:

You should do the £20k job for experience and since you have experience in the care industry..continue to do that one as well part time (evenings or weekends) to top up your salary.

Thanks man, I guess I will align with this cos I see experienced roles with salary of up to 50k per annum.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 2:06pm On Sep 19, 2023
bigtt76:
Work experience most times is the reason. At other times, when one is coming into the system newly, you are started off on the lower compared to if you are already an NHS staff for example and you are moving across to the new role you will be started on the higher scale.

Okay so I have experience working in a trust, moving to a higher band in the same role and she's bent on starting me on the lower scale.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DoubleN(m): 2:10pm On Sep 19, 2023
Thank you! I
LagosismyHome:

No please .... this can even be a potential fire hazard. This is meant only for garden where there is proper ventilation. Do not use this indoors at all
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 2:30pm On Sep 19, 2023
Sad, but you can reject that offer and negotiate higher. Let her know that you re worth the higher band based on your past experience in the same role. Most HRs are like that they want you to negotiate and if you don't ....the better for them.

babajeje123:

Okay so I have experience working in a trust, moving to a higher band in the same role and she's bent on starting me on the lower scale.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 2:34pm On Sep 19, 2023
Zahra29:

I digress 😂

This.right here eternal Utopia
People leave and stay for their own reasons.
To the OP don't assume everyone had the same expectations or drivers for leaving .
Nothing is new about the UK economy or how the UK treats migration. It's a cycle of rinse and repeat corresponding to election cycle.

Migration to Ireland, UK, Canada, US sef is decade long. The only difference now is YOU since You're now in a position or age that those options matter to you.

Greetings to the house!!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 2:46pm On Sep 19, 2023
Taal17:

This.right here eternal Utopia
People leave and stay for their own reasons.
To the OP don't assume everyone had the same expectations or drivers for leaving .
Nothing is new about the UK economy or how the UK treats migration. It's a cycle of rinse and repeat corresponding to election cycle.

Migration to Ireland, UK, Canada, US sef is decade long. The only difference now is YOU since You're now in a position or age that those options matter to you.

Greetings to the house!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 2:54pm On Sep 19, 2023
Blazingdiamondz:

Thanks man, I guess I will align with this cos I see experienced roles with salary of up to 50k per annum.

if your starting salary is 20K how many yrs do you think it will take you to earn 50K annually in the same department?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 3:08pm On Sep 19, 2023
justwise:

if your starting salary is 20K how many yrs do you think it will take you to earn 50K annually in the same department?
He can always move to another company.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 3:26pm On Sep 19, 2023
Hello House . please those that know about ATAS is it required for undergraduate level study?

thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:30pm On Sep 19, 2023
dustydee:

He can always move to another company.

Sure he can but why change job to earn less with the 'hope' of earning more in future?

(1) (2) (3) ... (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.