Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (197) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (484277 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 6:08pm On Sep 19, 2023
justwise:

Sure he can but why change job to earn less with the 'hope' of earning more in future?
Perhaps because he may earn much more in the future than he could ever earn doing what he's currently doing? You know some jobs have a pay ceiling, above which it is very unlikely to earn more. Just may be.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blazingdiamondz: 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2023
justwise:

if your starting salary is 20K how many yrs do you think it will take you to earn 50K annually in the same department?

Thanks man for your advice
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 8:09pm On Sep 19, 2023
babajeje123:
Is salary negotiation not allowed in NHS? I don't understand why HRs would want to see previous payslips and insist on starting you on the lower scale of Band salary. Someone should please make me understand this
pls negotiate your salary. The problem with HRs that they like saving money for the Trust. It is part of their job description so never expect them to accept your salary negotiation without a fight.
Pls negotiate because anything you accept, that would be how it continues. The next job’s HR would also ask u for your last payslip

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2023
babajeje123:

Okay so I have experience working in a trust, moving to a higher band in the same role and she's bent on starting me on the lower scale.
The default position for NHS employment is starting from the lowest step of the band. If you're moving from one band to another, it's almost impossible for you to start anywhere else other than the lowest step of the band.
It's actually easier to start from the midpoint of a band if you're coming from the private sector with significant experience or you're changing NHS employers, based on first hand experience from a lot of persons I know who've made the move. This isn't to say you shouldn't negotiate, however, don't feel cheated or too sad if you don't get it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 9:11pm On Sep 19, 2023
kode12:

The default position for NHS employment is starting from the lowest step of the band. If you're moving from one band to another, it's almost impossible for you to start anywhere else other than the lowest step of the band.
It's actually easier to start from the midpoint of a band if you're coming from the private sector with significant experience or you're changing NHS employers, based on first hand experience from a lot of persons I know who've made the move. This isn't to say you shouldn't negotiate, however, don't feel cheated or too sad if you don't get it.
Thank you. I'll be working in a higher band with a new Trust. I understand that managers don't have much control over what you are paid so I didn't bring it up during interview. My plan was to discuss salary issue with the HR when I go for ID check next week. But omo, the lady won wound me with emails requesting for my payslip. Just need an idea of what to do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2023
For clarity purpose pls. If you work 18 hrs this week' can you do 21 hours next week and still be compliant with 20 hours cap?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Globalshaper: 9:40pm On Sep 19, 2023
This is a big no!

You can’t carry over your unused 20 hours quota.

elengine:
For clarity purpose pls. If you work 18 hrs this week' can you do 21 hours next week and still be compliant with 20 hours cap?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 10:08pm On Sep 19, 2023
babajeje123:

Thank you. I'll be working in a higher band with a new Trust. I understand that managers don't have much control over what you are paid so I didn't bring it up during interview. My plan was to discuss salary issue with the HR when I go for ID check next week. But omo, the lady won wound me with emails requesting for my payslip. Just need an idea of what to do
On that payslip submission bit, I'm not sure. Maybe @Lexusgs430 has some insight, but I don't know what use it'd be to the HR. Maybe they're trying to use that to verify your past employment and service within the NHS, but your negotiation for increased pay shouldn' be hampered by it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:16am On Sep 20, 2023
Zahra29:

Many migrants seem to be on an eternal search for an earthly utopia with ultra high paid jobs,ultra low taxes, free quality healthcare (with zero waiting lists), cheap insurance and housing, sublime weather, high levels of immigration but tolerant natives and government, a country that "works" but where they can also do as they please....

I digress 😂

Anyways, have you paid attention to the news coming out of Canada and Australia? The biting cost of living and serious problems with scarce and unaffordable housing? The pressures on their public services? For example, I read the other day that some Canadians are opting to go abroad e.g. to India to get MRIs and other scans done, instead of waiting over 1 year for the same tests in Canada.

Point is, many of the economic issues being faced in the UK are also being replicated in pretty much all major Western countries, and are far worse in the migrants' home countries, so they might need to relocate to another planet to find a land they don't consider "gloomy".

Starship is taking us to Mars.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:19am On Sep 20, 2023
Gemma11:

You should do the £20k job for experience and since you have experience in the care industry..continue to do that one as well part time (evenings or weekends) to top up your salary.

Wouldnt he be paying more tax for working 2 jobs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatee2000(f): 6:22am On Sep 20, 2023
Good day all,
Please I misplaced my international passport while in transit from Manchester to my location, I have contacted the relevant authorities but the passport had 6 months validity so I prefer to just apply for another one, how do I go about it?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by boleswagg: 7:20am On Sep 20, 2023
Please I urgently need family accommodation in Edinburgh am a new student in Edinburgh and looking for house is frustrating me already please any help even if its shared apartment. And is there a group to join for nigeria in scoland or something on WhatsApp.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by boleswagg: 7:25am On Sep 20, 2023
Am a student of Queen margaret university Edinburgh help me with shared apartment or 2 bedroom in Edinburgh or anywhere close.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:28am On Sep 20, 2023
fatee2000:
Good day all,
Please I misplaced my international passport while in transit from Manchester to my location, I have contacted the relevant authorities but the passport had 6 months validity so I prefer to just apply for another one, how do I go about it?

You need to report this to the police and get police report first before applying for another paasport.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 8:47am On Sep 20, 2023
justwise:

Sure he can but why change job to earn less with the 'hope' of earning more in future?

This is actually viable. I remember coming into the UK and was earning about £800 weekly as a Warehouse Operative. I got a £50k offer and jumped at it immediately. I was earning less than the Warehouse job but had the "hope" of earning more in future. The "hope" came to fruition in a few months.

I advise he does what @Gemma11 said: continue the care as part time to beef up the salary. That was what I did, I was doing my Warehouse job during the weekends.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 8:55am On Sep 20, 2023
Zahra29:

Many migrants seem to be on an eternal search for an earthly utopia with ultra high paid jobs,ultra low taxes, free quality healthcare (with zero waiting lists), cheap insurance and housing, sublime weather, high levels of immigration but tolerant natives and government, a country that "works" but where they can also do as they please....

I digress 😂

Anyways, have you paid attention to the news coming out of Canada and Australia? The biting cost of living and serious problems with scarce and unaffordable housing? The pressures on their public services? For example, I read the other day that some Canadians are opting to go abroad e.g. to India to get MRIs and other scans done, instead of waiting over 1 year for the same tests in Canada.

Point is, many of the economic issues being faced in the UK are also being replicated in pretty much all major Western countries, and are far worse in the migrants' home countries, so they might need to relocate to another planet to find a land they don't consider "gloomy".

This is my opinion on this migration issue too, I think there's no Utopia anywhere. A family friend finished his master's earlier this year here in the UK, next thing he is trying to migrate to Canada using the school route now again and I ask myself, what exactly is going on? Nawa o.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:01am On Sep 20, 2023
Solumtoya:

This is actually viable. I remember coming into the UK and was earning about £800 weekly as a Warehouse Operative. I got a £50k offer and jumped at it immediately. I was earning less than the Warehouse job but had the "hope" of earning more in future. The "hope" came to fruition in a few months.

I advise he does what @Gemma11 said: continue the care as part time to beef up the salary. That was what I did, I was doing my Warehouse job during the weekends.

This is soothing to the ear o. I have over 10 years experience as a Relationship Manager with three banks from Nigeria but currently working in a warehouse for now, I will appreciate any advice on any industry to focus my professional job search on.

I passed NatWest bank interviews here and currently waiting for their offer, but I really don't want to do sales anymore in UK jare. We don do marketing tire for Nigeria.

I know there'll be guys here who were once in my position but better off now, ur advice would be appreciated please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:16am On Sep 20, 2023
Solumtoya:

How? How are you earning less?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 9:58am On Sep 20, 2023
ehizario2012:

This is my opinion on this migration issue too, I think there's no Utopia anywhere. A family friend finished his master's earlier this year here in the UK, next thing he is trying to migrate to Canada using the school route now again and I ask myself, what exactly is going on? Nawa o.
You supposed ask am wetin Dey pursue am. I asked my wife same thing when she was talking about other countries. 😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 10:04am On Sep 20, 2023
If you Dey Uk and need your song produced.

I’ll produce, mix and master one song for each person free.

10 Slots.

Help me tell your friends and family

Location is Bristol.

Also, if you have anyone who needs a job to get going

My two places of work is currently employing. ( one is British petroleum as customer service assistance)
Bristol

The other one is receptionist(day or night) in a hotel…..Soft work 😁

Bristol

If you need something to start off with, while you pursue what works for you

You can search this company around you, if you need one close to your location too

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:07am On Sep 20, 2023
justwise:

How? How are you earning less?

Quick Maths: With the Warehouse, I was earning over £3k monthly, sometimes even over £4k. With the £50k job, I never saw up to £3k salary in any month.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 10:08am On Sep 20, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:11am On Sep 20, 2023
ehizario2012:

There's nothing wrong with him wanting to move to Canada depending on his reasons and expectations. Some people move because they have a family base there or because it's easier/quicker to obtain permanent residency.

It's when people make complaints like the UK's taxes are too high, NHS is rubbish, UK is boring/right wing/strict /overrated etc and these are the primary reasons for their move to Canada or Australia that I'm like bro, a luta continua 🥴 lol

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:22am On Sep 20, 2023
ehizario2012:

This is soothing to the ear o. I have over 10 years experience as a Relationship Manager with three banks from Nigeria but currently working in a warehouse for now, I will appreciate any advice on any industry to focus my professional job search on.

I passed NatWest bank interviews here and currently waiting for their offer, but I really don't want to do sales anymore in UK jare. We don do marketing tire for Nigeria.

I know there'll be guys here who were once in my position but better off now, ur advice would be appreciated please.

You don't have to go into direct sales. With your financial services background, especially if you have IMC or similar, you should be qualified for various types of client services, account manager type roles. Widen your search to include investment and asset management companies, smaller fund managers etc

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 11:12am On Sep 20, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Good morning, please can someone help check through this itinerary will I be needing a transit visa 😩?
YES.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 11:44am On Sep 20, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Good morning, please can someone help check through this itinerary will I be needing a transit visa 😩?
No na same airport same terminal 1, so u just need to change plane after your waiting period in the airport. Safe journey
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 12:30pm On Sep 20, 2023
ehizario2012:
It's been interesting reading the comments on pension and the general economic outlook of the UK in the short, medium and long term. Personally I feel it's important understanding the true economic status of the UK since that's where we live at the moment.

My question, could this seemingly gloomy economic outlook be the reason why many migrants are looking at leaving the UK to Ireland, Australia, Canada?? This has been a burning question to me. I'm on a CoS in the UK, and don't intend leaving to the aforementioned countries even if I get the opportunity... But again, is this my thinking right at all??

I'll appreciate informed responses/comments as always.

Migration is an eternal constant. There's no point fighting it. The thing now is to look at the peculiarities of the world in which we live.
Many folks in the UK left jobs in Nigeria that others thought they were crazy to leave but then, within a few months of arriving the UK, many knew they made the right decision. The difference now is that change in leverage. As a UK resident/citizen, you have a better leverage and time to make an informed decision. The UK is still top in lots of metrics and not many countries offer better opportunities.

For the first time in centuries, the standards of living in many western nations has fallen over the last decade as population platued. In addition, economic growth over the next 50 yrs is unlikely to be in the west (asides the U.S). Western leaders are keenly watching Japan navigate uncharted waters- a nation whose economy hasn't grown in 30yrs despite racking up the highest debt/gdp of any nation. For many Western leaders, migration is now being seen as an economic/existential necessity. Their headache is targeting thr needed talent. The international market for good talent has got increasingly competitive.

The question then becomes what skill do you bring? With the right skill, a move from the UK to a few select nations has seen folks improve their earning and standard of living by a good proportion. I have seen folks earning well into 6 figures here double/triple their earning and quality of life by moving - similar to some folks who were average earners but to a lesser degree. To them, it was still reminiscent of when they decided to leave Nigeria. In the end, when Nigeria gets certain basics right and gets on a growth trajectory, they'd have a better leverage to latch on early.
All said, you need to have the right motivation, skillset and sometimes age to get the right leverage.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Midex88(m): 12:30pm On Sep 20, 2023
Good morning house,
Urgent.
A friend just got a new job before his passport renewal time of Nov 21.

Now he wants to know if the old expired passport can be used in data screening for the new job and if Not, what other documents can be sufficed in place of the expired passport.
N.B. Right to work/Residence Permit, Sharecode, Visa/BRP are all fine...
Any advice from people with similar experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 12:50pm On Sep 20, 2023
Midex88:
Good morning house,
Urgent.

Now he wants to know if the old expired passport can be used in data screening for the new job and if Not, what other documents can be sufficed in place of the expired passport.

Thanks.
Oga reorganise your question. Do you mean his Right to work document/ residents permit? Or Nigerian passport? If it’s a job in the UK then it doesn’t matter the status of his Nigerian passport. What matter is his right to work in the UK/ Residents Permit
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2023
Midex88:
Good morning house,
Urgent.

Thanks.

Expiration date does not concern the employer. As long as the passport is valid and the person has a right to work there's no problem.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
Zahra29:

You don't have to go into direct sales. With your financial services background, especially if you have IMC or similar, you should be qualified for various types of client services, account manager type roles. Widen your search to include investment and asset management companies, smaller fund managers etc

Thank you very much. I actually started thinking along that line based on what indeed and d likes are throwing up, but I thought it was still out and out marketing. I'll look into that direction now. Many thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Midex88(m): 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
wallg123:

Oga reorganise your question. Do you mean his Right to work document/ residents permit? Or Nigerian passport? If it’s a job in the UK then it doesn’t matter the status of his Nigerian passport. What matter is his right to work in the UK/ Residents Permit

Sorry jare... his right to work is fine, biometric card and share code/residence permit/visa is okay.... the only issue is the international passport which expired In August 2023 and he has made a renewal application slated for November 2023.
She has mailed the passport renewal application and the expired international passport to this employer but wants to be sure if it's fine..

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: jblesn(f), EJIOGBENIMI(m), anozie09(m), wallg123 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.